Comments

ken c wrote on 8/31/2007, 5:38 PM
Any word on if the Titler features in DVDA are being improved as well?

That would be great, because right now there's no ability to do drop shadowed or beveled or compressed/expanded text titles in DVDA (unless I missed it)...

Right now I have to create alpha pngs in graphics programs and import them, very cumbersome, if I want decent chapter titles etc in DVDA. Having stronger title features in both Vegas and DVDA would be great.

Any word on it? Or, how do most of you do better titles (beveled/texture mapped text) in DVDA? I've just settled for flat text-looking titles these past few years, other than special graphic pngs, which is a lot of work to create/import, for DVD authoring so far.

thx,

-k
John_Cline wrote on 8/31/2007, 7:21 PM
"Pro 8" sounds a bit like "Preparation 8."

What the heck kind of accent do you have?? :)
Jayster wrote on 8/31/2007, 7:33 PM
It mentions support for FLAC. I wonder if that works in Acid Pro? I guess they could call the feature, you guessed it, "flaccid"
John_Cline wrote on 8/31/2007, 7:37 PM
No, flaccid is what this thread has become.
Spot|DSE wrote on 8/31/2007, 8:33 PM
You can say that twice, John. :-)
I was gonna post a short vid on the ProTitler tool and the new digital signage tool, but folks seem more interested in other discussions on the Vegas 8 release.
p@mast3rs wrote on 8/31/2007, 8:50 PM
post the video please, if you will DSE. It really would be nice to see what kind of improvements were made to titling and the digital signage thing has me confused on just what its main use is for.
UlfLaursen wrote on 8/31/2007, 9:26 PM
I was gonna post a short vid on the ProTitler tool and the new digital signage tool

Yes please, Spot, if you can / may... :-)

/Ulf
dcrandall wrote on 8/31/2007, 9:30 PM
Yes Spot .... I too would love to see your video on the new ProTitler tool.

-Dan
  • Velocity Micro Z55 Desktop Computer
  • ASUS Prime Z270M-Plus Motherboard
  • Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU @ 4.2GHz
  • Memory: 16GB DDR4-2400MHz
  • 4GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Driver Version: Studio Driver 452.06
  • Windows 10 Home 64bit v1909
  • Vegas Pro 18.0 Build 284
MH_Stevens wrote on 8/31/2007, 9:33 PM
Well for post200 lets get back to Vegas8. I noticed a anti-piracy change that might have been missed by other commentators. Vegas8 can only be activated by a direct Internet connection. No more telephone or "from another computer" activations. Seem a sensible move.

Mike
DGates wrote on 8/31/2007, 9:57 PM
Where ya been, Ken? I haven't seen you post until now. I was thinking you'd certainly be psyched about the titler, as are many of us.
p@mast3rs wrote on 8/31/2007, 10:00 PM
"No more telephone or "from another computer" activations. Seem a sensible move."

That is retarded. I have two systems that I refuse to put on the net that are my editing boxes. I also have 12 lab stations in my class room that are not on the school network. So thats 13 licenses that Sony wont get. Even with this scheme, the pirates will continue to get by activation. Those are the only ones who get past activation without paying anyway. So lets just keep impacting loyal honest customers. Not a Sony rant, its a software rant. Just didnt expect Sony to fall in line with the rest of them.

Vegas was looking more appealing every second for use in the classroom at my new school. Just dont see anyway I can get the district to change the policy for our workstations in the TV lab.

edit: is it possible the internet connection required is for the stock footage online and not for activation or did you see it specifically say that a active internet connection is required for activation?
DSCalef wrote on 8/31/2007, 10:07 PM
Spot:

Is VASST going to do new tutorials for Vegas Pro 8?

How about a "catchup" tutorial that cover the additions and changes since they were published? I'd love to see that. Ought to be wortha little more than a single DVD tutorial volume.

Then, you can edit that into the prior versions to cover the whole spectrum. I'd buy that, also.

Thanks, Spot.
DSCalef wrote on 8/31/2007, 10:13 PM
p@mast3rs:

I have set up all my computers so they CAN be connected to the internet and/or a network. WHY? Because OS upgrades are good to put in, and some progams really want an Internet connection for a license activation or update. So for a brief few minutes I connect and then shutdown the network connection.

In today's world, the connections are easy, and the disconnections can make sense in some cases. I shut down the connections to use less CPU resources on my Vegas editing machine. But, it's there so I can activate the network connection.
TheHappyFriar wrote on 8/31/2007, 10:14 PM
Well for post200 lets get back to Vegas8. I noticed a anti-piracy change that might have been missed by other commentators. Vegas8 can only be activated by a direct Internet connection. No more telephone or "from another computer" activations. Seem a sensible move.

That su-diddly-ucks imho. What did they do, fire tech support staff to give us the "extra security"? I liked the idea of calling when their systems are down. like said before, and if you don't have a 'net connection you're screwed (I know a few people who use Vegas 6 that don't have a 'net connection on their machine at all. They'd need to cart a WHOLE DESKTOP computer to some place with a net connection (since it's not at the office) just to use V8.

Is that what "pro" means? More security? :p
p@mast3rs wrote on 8/31/2007, 10:20 PM
DSC, you dont understand. My personal boxes Ill use something else on it instead. My classroom is what will be ultimately hurt. Regardless of how simple and easy it is to network for activation, my district has a STRICT policy with absolutely no room for leeway.

In order to use Vegas 8 activated, I would have to violate our district policy which would cost me my job or the tech coordinators their jobs. Think Ill have to have the kids edit on something else which will only be more complicated for them.
dcrandall wrote on 8/31/2007, 10:32 PM
Mike,

I take it you're referring to the statement that reads: "You must provide your registration information to Sony Creative Software Inc, a US company, in order to activate the software. Product requires online registration within 30 days." under "System Requirements" for Vegas Pro 8?

If you look under "System Requirements" for Vegas 7 it makes the same statement. I don't expect registration will be any different for V8 than V7. (or, at least, I'll wait until it's a confirmed change in policy before I bitch about it.)

-Dan
  • Velocity Micro Z55 Desktop Computer
  • ASUS Prime Z270M-Plus Motherboard
  • Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU @ 4.2GHz
  • Memory: 16GB DDR4-2400MHz
  • 4GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Driver Version: Studio Driver 452.06
  • Windows 10 Home 64bit v1909
  • Vegas Pro 18.0 Build 284
PeterWright wrote on 8/31/2007, 11:25 PM
Ken, DVDA has always had a drop shadow for Text (the "S" button) with control over X & Y offsets, colour and blur.
apit34356 wrote on 9/1/2007, 12:10 AM
p@mastrs, many school districts have extreme policies about the Internet and what programs are permitted to be loaded on their computers. Where my kids go to school, each building has a webmaster and then a grade level administrator to help-----unfortunately it usually is the blind leading the blind.

Our kids now are faced with a series of new rules that work thru a "contract" with kids and family that grants the school district the rights to discipline kids for myspace or any internet use at home or anytime or anywhere outside school that they believe to be not PC. The school district have no fix definition of proper conduct on the Internet. Many parents feel the school district is trying to suppress complaints about all the new buildings being built, but not enough teachers being added---- and our community is rare in the fact we have many available teachers for hire.
ken c wrote on 9/1/2007, 8:42 AM
Thanks Peter, I appreciate that, I didn't know that... I'll have to go re-watch my training dvds to pick up on the features like that.

Well anyways it sounds like they are at least providing a better titler within V8, so that's reason enough for me to upgrade. Hope to see better titling in DVDA if possible as well (or if it's integrated w/V8 somehow).
Looking forward to the release (date?).

thx,

ken
p@mast3rs wrote on 9/1/2007, 9:09 AM
release date is septemebr 10th for purchase and sept 7th for public viewing (IBC)
jwcarney wrote on 9/1/2007, 10:27 AM
<<Yes, you'd need a card for I/0.
If you capture elsewhere and Vegas can read the 10bit codec, then you don't need hardware.
<<
Thats the rub, no indication of what codecs Vegas will or won't read.
I can wait 9 more days to find out.

kkolbo wrote on 9/1/2007, 3:44 PM

P@, I wouldn't worry about the registration issue. I have 15 stations which unless I disassemble them and carry them home can not access the internet. I see no reason to believe that even if they changed their activation system that they would not find some way to support installations like ours. It would be entirely out of character.

BTW, what school did you end up at?

p@mast3rs wrote on 9/1/2007, 4:11 PM
Ida Baker this year. New school (3 years old) with more modern equipment and a much better support and administration. No complaints from me at all.
winrockpost wrote on 9/1/2007, 4:52 PM
....... was gonna post a short vid on the ProTitler tool and the new digital signage tool, but folks seem more interested in other discussions on the Vegas 8 release.

what ? Sometimes it Seems like half the posts on this forum are concerning the titler currently in vegas.
can't say for anyone else but i am interested in the titler,, no clue what digital signage tool is so maybe curious is better word for that one ,,