Comments

akbar56 wrote on 6/15/2004, 2:24 PM
Have you tried using the replace feature through the media pool? Not exactly same as the timeline drop, but ive used it to do so.
Rosebud wrote on 6/15/2004, 2:59 PM
Have you tried using the replace feature through the media pool? Not exactly same as the timeline drop, but ive used it to do so.

Absolutely not the same thing.
TheHappyFriar wrote on 6/15/2004, 3:06 PM
Never heard of overwrite mode. What's it do (simular to selecting a region in the timeline & recording audio with repeat on?)?
Rosebud wrote on 6/15/2004, 3:23 PM
Well, l’ll try to explain it but i’m not english, so sorry in advance for my bad english.

Overwrite mode is when the clip you add on time line replace the existing media.
Actually, to make the same thing in Vegas, you must:
-select clip to overwrite
-make a time selection
-hit delete key
-hit ‘A’ key to add media (from trimmer)

With overwrite mode, you have just to add clip to time line, existing media are automatically replaced.
absolutely all the NLE i know, have this feature. (Edius, Liquid, Premiere...)
PeterWright wrote on 6/15/2004, 4:33 PM
Use Takes - drop with right mouse button.
TheHappyFriar wrote on 6/15/2004, 5:55 PM
I normaly just drop it on top of the next track up. (unlimitred video clips lets you do those kinda things. :) )
johnmeyer wrote on 6/15/2004, 6:08 PM
PeterWright is correct. I saw Spot demonstrate this. Right-click and then drag to the event you want to replace, and then add as a take.
SonyEPM wrote on 6/15/2004, 6:21 PM
There is no AVID style overwrite mode. Make a time selection on the track(s), delete the event data you don't need, fill the timeline hole from the trimmer (via add from- or add to cursor).
Rosebud wrote on 6/15/2004, 11:15 PM
Finally somebody who understands me. Thank SonyEPM :)))
I know there is no AVID ( or Edius, or Premiere, Liquid…) overwrite mode or style in Vegas and this is precisely why I make this post.
I already use the method you describe but I think it is very uneasy.

Why Vegas don’t have this basic feature whereas ALL NLE have it ?

Every time I speak about Vegas with professional video editor, this is one of the reproaches they make.
I LOVE Vegas and i think he can become the best professional NLE, but he continue to have some lacks (unjustified).
busterkeaton wrote on 6/16/2004, 12:05 AM
Rosebud, I'm curious why that is preferred over adding video or audio as a take? Does it affect the timeline differently?

If you want to delete the the take that's not active, you just right click the event, select Take from the Menu and then select Delete. You then can choose which takes you want to delete and you can select multiple takes to delete.

Rosebud wrote on 6/16/2004, 12:59 AM
I know the “Take” feature (I use it every day) and I think this is one of the best Vegas’s features.
But this is not the same as a “overwrite mode”.
I can use “Take” if the clip I add to time line have the same length as the Event I replace.
With overwrite mode I can replace several events at the same time with only one event.
Difficult to explain that because I am not English.
Try it with another NLE and you will see this is a basic feature.
Rosebud wrote on 6/16/2004, 2:24 AM
And do not mistake:
I don’t ask to change Vegas workflow.
I simply ask for an overwrite mode, just like the "Ripple Edit mode" was added in V4.
rmack350 wrote on 6/16/2004, 2:38 AM
I think that explains the value of it pretty well. Overwriting several events on a track with one piece of media. Sounds useful. Takes doesn't do that.

Rob Mack
mjroddy wrote on 6/16/2004, 9:06 AM
But, as mentioned earlier, what is the disadvantage of just putting the clip you want to "overwrite" with above unwanted clips? One step, you're done.
What am I not understanding?
Rosebud wrote on 6/16/2004, 1:40 PM
rmack350, glad to see somebody agree with me :)))

what is the disadvantage of just putting the clip you want to "overwrite" with above unwanted clips? One step, you're done.
mjroddy, sorry but how do you make that in one step with Vegas ?
busterkeaton wrote on 6/16/2004, 1:46 PM
mjroddy, that way can get messy if you doing things at the track level such as parent/child, or track effects or EQ. Etc.

rextilleon wrote on 6/16/2004, 1:49 PM
Definately would be nice to have over-right mode in Vegas---along with a sophisticated media management setup--with those two babies I would be one happy camper.
mjroddy wrote on 6/16/2004, 3:56 PM
busterkeaton: That makes sence.
I always did wish more things were available on a clip/instance level, rather than a track level. I'd like just about everything on a clip level AND/or track. But I don't hear many people mention that besides me.
AlexB wrote on 6/16/2004, 3:58 PM
Why not just put the overwrite clip in a video track above the clips you want to hide? Very simple, every opportunity to adjust, when you like the setup you can always make it permanent by cutting out the section on the lower track (without ripple) and moving your overwrite clip down.
VivaVegas wrote on 6/16/2004, 6:36 PM
I think this is a nutha' good thing that differs in Vegas than all the rest. Vegas just has a different editing style than the others that use an overright mode model.

Chris

Sol M. wrote on 6/16/2004, 8:12 PM
Why? Save for Vegas' Takes feature, all other NLEs can add media to the timeline in much the same way. Except, most other NLEs have an ovewrite feature. It's not a workflow model, the ability to ovewrite media is simply a feature.

An overwrite feature would be quite useful, tho I haven't really wished for it (in comparison to some other features I wish Vegas had), but rather just used the workflow that Vetgas presents me with. Is this right? Well, until Vegas adds an overwrite feature, it's the only workflow we've got.

Also, couldn't a script be written to make overwrite a reality?
taliesin wrote on 6/16/2004, 10:47 PM
Yes, I find using Takes is even more effective in many cases.

Marco
Rosebud wrote on 6/16/2004, 11:44 PM
Editing is editing. Even M$ Word have an overwrite feature ;))
I not understand why this is not obvious for everyone.
Also, as JIVE said :” until Vegas adds an overwrite feature, it's the only workflow we've got”
But my wish expensive is really that Vegas become the best NLE (Even if in many case Vegas is already the best ;)))
And to be the best, Vegas need some little improvements: Overwrite mode is some of them.
I’m curious to know why Sony team consider this feature not essential ?
jaegersing wrote on 6/17/2004, 12:02 AM
Hi Rosebud. Do you know there is a Support/Product Suggestion part of the Forum? If you go there to suggest adding an overwrite feature, it will get to the attention of the correct people.

Of course, if you're more interested in asking the Sony team why they didn't already include this feature, that's another matter. :)

Richard Hunter