A CLEAN install of Vegas Pro 17

crown2020 wrote on 10/25/2022, 7:53 PM

Hello everyone.

I wish to uninstall Vegas Pro 17 then install a "clean" copy on the same machine. If I follow this:

https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/support/article/uninstalling-vegas-pro--226/

What file paths must I copy to keep audio and video fx chains?

Am I correct in saying I will have to reinstall my Vega Saur and Happy Otter Scripts?

How do I backup custom scripts that were added to the Vegas scripting folder?

Is there anything I am missing that I should be concerned about backing up?

It's a real PAIN in Vegas Pro 17 to do a clean install. My understanding is that starting with Vegas Pro 18, there is a backup option, that can be imported to a clean install of Pro 18 and newer. This way, all this manual work is not needed.

Thank you all, in advance, for your time.

Comments

Dexcon wrote on 10/25/2022, 8:40 PM

There's a little more information about clean-uninstalling Vegas Pro in the following forum FAQ: https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/faq-how-can-i-do-a-clean-uninstall-of-vegas-pro--111205/ particularly at point 4 which itemises where some of your presets and preferences are stored - these folders do not need to be uninstalled but its always worthwhile copying them to a backup just in case.

The last time I did a clean uninstall of Vegas Pro, I did not need to reinstall Vegasaur - but I don't know about HOS. Others on the forum may be able to advise about FX chains and scripting.

My understanding is that starting with Vegas Pro 18, there is a backup option, that can be imported to a clean install of Pro 18 and newer. 

Are you thinking about the process to reset Vegas Pro back to its default settings? If yes, that can easily be done in Vegas Pro 17 in the same way that it can be done in VP18+ as per: https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/faq-how-can-i-reset-vegas-pro-to-default-settings--104646/

Make sure to keep Ctrl-Shift pressed down after double-clicking VP17's desktop icon until VP17 has opened.

Cameras: Sony FDR-AX100E; GoPro Hero 11 Black Creator Edition

Installed: Vegas Pro 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 & 21, HitFilm Pro 2021.3, DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.5, BCC 2023.5, Mocha Pro 2023, Ignite Pro, NBFX TotalFX 7, Neat NR, DVD Architect 6.0, MAGIX Travel Maps, Sound Forge Pro 16, SpectraLayers Pro 11, iZotope RX10 Advanced and many other iZ plugins, Vegasaur 4.0

Windows 11

Dell Alienware Aurora 11

10th Gen Intel i9 10900KF - 10 cores (20 threads) - 3.7 to 5.3 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8GB GDDR6 - liquid cooled

64GB RAM - Dual Channel HyperX FURY DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz

C drive: 2TB Samsung 990 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 PCIe SSD

D: drive: 4TB Samsung 870 SATA SSD (used for media for editing current projects)

E: drive: 2TB Samsung 870 SATA SSD

F: drive: 6TB WD 7200 rpm Black HDD 3.5"

Dell Ultrasharp 32" 4K Color Calibrated Monitor

crown2020 wrote on 10/25/2022, 9:19 PM

@Dexcon

Hey there Dexcon. Thanks for the additional link. Both links compliment each other for sure. One thing I note is the link I provided is a little newer. (posting date). I guess that's why Nick's post, (that you provided), does not contain quite as many folders to manually remove.

As to my comment that read "My understanding is that starting with Vegas Pro 18, there is a backup option, that can be imported to a clean install of Pro 18 and newer." No. This comment has nothing to do with "resetting" Vegas Pro 17 to factory defaults. I DO thank you for the link. It's something I am thinking of doing before I try a complete clean install. I am awaiting more responses first. I just want to be sure I've backed up everything I can before I wipe it all out.

lan-mLMC wrote on 10/25/2022, 10:42 PM

Things you might want to back up manually:

Project templates : HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Sony Creative Software\VEGAS Pro\17.0\Metrics\VideoProProfiles

Layout files : C:\Users\YourName\AppData\Roaming\VEGAS Pro\17.0\

Toolbar layout : HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Sony Creative Software\VEGAS Pro\17.0\Metrics\Application (entry B300 & B305)

Render templates : C:\Users\YourName\AppData\Roaming\VEGAS\Render Templates

FX packages : HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\DirectShow\Presets\FX Packages

OFX presets : C:\Users\YourName\Documents\OFX Presets

DXT presets : HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\DXTransform\Presets & C:\Users\YourName\AppData\Roaming\VEGAS\FX Presets

Audio fx presets : HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\DirectShow\Presets\

Keyboard map : C:\Users\YourName\AppData\Roaming\VEGAS Pro\17.0 ( *.ini files )

Pan/crop & Track motion presets : HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Sony Creative Software\VEGAS Pro\17.0\Metrics\Application

ProType Title collections : C:\Users\YourName\AppData\Roaming\VEGAS\Titler 1.0\Collections

================================================================

If you don't want to do it manually, you can check out Vegasaur's preset manager. https://vegasaur.com/vegas-presets-manager

crown2020 wrote on 10/26/2022, 2:07 PM

@lan-mLMC So, if I use my copy of VegaSaur and preform what VegaSaur has selected by default, (and noted in the attached screen grab), EVERYTHING you note above will be backed up? Here is the pic:

Thanks for your time. I appreciate your follow up to my initial post.

crown2020 wrote on 10/26/2022, 8:41 PM

@lan-mLMC Thanks for the reply. Would you mind telling me which ones will remain so that I can be sure to back them up manually?

Thank you for your time.

rraud wrote on 10/27/2022, 9:36 AM

Uninstalling VP using a third-party uninstaller like 'Revo Uninstall' can remove most left-over registry entries and other pertinent data the default uninstall leaves behind,. I usually recommend using Revo's advanced scan mode for a more thorough clearing. However if there are other versions of Magix software installed installed, try not to delete shared data. Revo Uninstall has a pro and freeware versions. The free version is adequate in most cases,

rraud, Magix forums moderator