[BETA] Pin Image/Video to motion track

Vegas_Sebastian wrote on 9/6/2018, 4:11 AM

Dear Community,

We have already seen some nice work you have created with Vegas's motion tracker.

Here is a preview of an upcoming update:
A script enabling you to pin an image or a video to a motion track.

Edit: That script is now part of VP16 Update 2

Please note that this is a beta version and maybe contain errors. Use this at your own risk.

To use this script:

1. Create track motion on an event using Bézier mask FX
  2. Apply Picture-In-Picture FX to the event (from a different track) that you want to follow along with the motion on the original event
  3. Adjust location, scale and angle of PiP FX for a certain point in time.
  4. Select both events (hold ctrl key)
  5. Run the script

Best regards,
VEGAS Pro team

Comments

musko wrote on 9/6/2018, 5:01 AM

It looks very interesting. I will try this.

karma17 wrote on 9/6/2018, 5:17 AM

Thanks for sharing this. Much appreciated.

karma17 wrote on 9/6/2018, 6:03 AM

This is awesome. You guys did it.

Can now track special effects to moving subjects! This is exactly what I've wanted to be able to do inside Vegas.

matt-nice wrote on 9/6/2018, 8:59 AM

It really is good...

Former user wrote on 9/6/2018, 11:21 AM

Trabalho fantástico. Obrigado equipe Vegas Pro!

fr0sty wrote on 9/6/2018, 5:50 PM

Too awesome. You guys are doing great with these new features. Now we just need cornerpinning and eventually planar tracking and Vegas will be equipped to go toe to toe with the best of them.

Last changed by fr0sty on 9/6/2018, 5:53 PM, changed a total of 2 times.

Systems:

Desktop

AMD Ryzen 7 1800x 8 core 16 thread at stock speed

64GB 3000mhz DDR4

Geforce RTX 3090

Windows 10

Laptop:

ASUS Zenbook Pro Duo 32GB (9980HK CPU, RTX 2060 GPU, dual 4K touch screens, main one OLED HDR)

karma17 wrote on 9/6/2018, 6:17 PM

I will be playing around with this a lot more tonight and just used the first clip I could find of someone walking! Once this gets going, I will have virtually no need to go outside Vegas except for 3D modeling and animation, but that's a completely different story. I suppose, at some point, the Bezier Masking FX should be renamed to Bezier Masking & Motion Tracking or something like that, since it can be used strictly for tracking and no need for "masking" at all.

fr0sty wrote on 9/6/2018, 6:50 PM

Yeah, they should just move it to "video event pan/crop/ bezier mask" and make the bezier mask plugin just be for motion tracking.

Last changed by fr0sty on 9/6/2018, 6:50 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

Systems:

Desktop

AMD Ryzen 7 1800x 8 core 16 thread at stock speed

64GB 3000mhz DDR4

Geforce RTX 3090

Windows 10

Laptop:

ASUS Zenbook Pro Duo 32GB (9980HK CPU, RTX 2060 GPU, dual 4K touch screens, main one OLED HDR)

Ruby888 wrote on 9/6/2018, 8:47 PM

Awesome. Will wait until its officially released.

karma17 wrote on 9/7/2018, 12:57 AM

Yes @fr0sty I also think the default setting for the Blend slider in the Bezier mask should be at .40 or around there. My guess is that it could be confusing to new users and beginners as to what you are actually looking at and when it is translucent instead of opaque, it is easy to see what's going on. When you go into regular masking in PanCrop, the mask is translucent like that. TBH, when I first used it, I was a little confused myself about what was going on.

Also, when playing with the tracker, I notice it can do a fairly tight track on small areas such as an eye, and in some cases, I've had better luck tracking on a small area with high contrast than a larger area with less contrast.

Former user wrote on 9/7/2018, 2:19 AM

Here the script only works correctly if the events are at the beginning of the timeline.

If the events are in another location the script does not work correctly.

Can anyone else confirm this?

Vegas_Sebastian wrote on 9/7/2018, 3:03 AM

Here the script only works correctly if the events are at the beginning of the timeline.

I can confirm this issue. Thanks for pointing that out. We expect some issues, because the script has not passed the quality check yet.

If you want to continue testing you can fix that issue by changing following lines:

97:      OFXDouble2D initLocationAtCursorPosition = pipLocation.GetValueAtTime(myVegas.Transport.CursorPosition - bezierTrack.Start);
98:      OFXDouble2D locationAtCursorPosition = locationTracking.GetValueAtTime(myVegas.Transport.CursorPosition - bezierTrack.Start);

Former user wrote on 9/7/2018, 3:37 AM

Thanks @Vegas_Sebastian

I've changed the command lines as you've instructed and now it's working perfectly here.

My goal is only to help improve this tool. Count on me whenever you need. A big hug!

Marco. wrote on 9/7/2018, 6:28 AM

There's one advantage if you manually apply the PiP FX before calling the script: You can easily adjust your desired frame size and offset within that same PiP FX. I like that way.

DeTomasi wrote on 9/7/2018, 6:37 AM

This track tool is amazing... a game changer!

Former user wrote on 9/7/2018, 6:37 AM

There's one advantage if you manually apply the PiP FX before calling the script: You can easily adjust your desired frame size and offset within that same PiP FX. I like that way.

I agree with you. I think like that too.

GerY wrote on 9/7/2018, 7:11 AM

I tested it and its amazing. Thank You👍

fr0sty wrote on 9/7/2018, 9:44 AM

I really like this approach of beta testing certain features in the wild before officially launching. Beta testers are great, but nothing puts tech through its paces like sending it out into the wild. I mean, Resolve's entire program stays in beta for like a year it seems... Maybe this is a great new way of squashing bugs before new releases? Let the beta testers get it to a certain point, then release it in beta form to the public for a few weeks, squash those bugs, then go live with the real deal.

karma17 wrote on 9/7/2018, 2:31 PM

@fr0sty I couldn't agree more. So funny what you are saying about Resolve. It is in beta so often I can't remember to download when it goes alpha and then I never or rarely use now because of Vegas. And it is cool because with the scripting ability, it is relatively easy to check out portions of new functions and ideas to see how they work.

Kinvermark wrote on 9/7/2018, 2:56 PM

I really like this approach of beta testing certain features in the wild before officially launching. Beta testers are great, but nothing puts tech through its paces like sending it out into the wild. I mean, Resolve's entire program stays in beta for like a year it seems... Maybe this is a great new way of squashing bugs before new releases? Let the beta testers get it to a certain point, then release it in beta form to the public for a few weeks, squash those bugs, then go live with the real deal.

+10000000000

This needs to happen, because not squashing bugs before launch is leading to a lot of unhappiness and lost revenue (IMHO). Plus it puts supporters like me in the awkward position of always having to thoroughly test each trial (and each subsequent "patch" release by begging customer service for an extension) before purchasing. If that process goes on for too long, then the date gets too close to the next version, so I might as well wait; even though I don't really want to.

Serif Affinity also uses public betas with good results!

pierre-k wrote on 9/7/2018, 5:34 PM

Your script is very good. I can apply it to multiple videos in one project.
It's a shame that it's not 3D. Auto zoom is missing.

For a new user who does not know the Vegas, it's complicated.

The more ideal would be to apply your script to the Video Event FX Pan / Crop.
It has more options than PIP FX

First, it is good to rename the existing plugin. Bézier Mask and Motion Tracking FX ?

1. Create track motion on an event using "Bézier Mask and Motion Tracking FX"

2. Add next upper file and channge Size in Video Event FX Pan / Crop

3. Select both files. Open context menu and select " ADD MEDIA TO MOTION TRACKING" .

Done.

No PIP FX, no script. :-)

PIP FX is very limited and does not allow you to change the image freely as in Video Event FX Pan / Crop. Missing freely change the aspect ratio using the CTRL key. There is no reflection under the picture or color framing.

That's how NewblueFX PIP looks like

Magix please add everywhere the option to freely change the aspect ratio using the CTRL key
- With CTRL key and mouse - Free aspect ratio.
- without CTRL keys and mouse - locked aspect ratio.

Please apply CTRL to Track Motion, and PIP FX

Video Event FX Pan / Crop is OK !

Sorry my english :-)

Ruby888 wrote on 9/7/2018, 6:49 PM

How do you install the script? I unziped it and don't know how to install it. Please help. Thank you.

Ruby888 wrote on 9/7/2018, 6:51 PM

Hi, how do you install the script? What directory do I install it too? Windows 10 Vegas Pro 16 261