Boycott Vegas 12 unless Vegas 11 gets stable!

VanLazarus wrote on 1/24/2012, 1:51 PM
A few people on this forum want Vegas 10 fixed. I feel that this is a lost cause! Many of us have already bought Vegas 11, hoping that it would solve all of the Vegas 10 issues... that was foolish of us. Let's not keep on making that mistake.

I propose that EVERYONE frequenting this forum agrees to NOT buy/upgrade to Vegas 12, which will probably be released next year with 4D support, yet another buggy titler, and more old features of Vegas converted to a new buggy OFX version.

I've faithfully been upgrading from Vegas 5. No longer. I can't justify spending the money I have on something that is giving me so much frustration and wasting my valuable time.

I recently became a certified Sony Vegas Pro 11 User in Chicago with Jeffrey Fisher (a long time beta tester for SCS). The money and time I spent attending this training, plus the 7+ years I've used Vegas all seem wasted unless our favorite tool can become stable again. Wasn't this one of Vegas's crowning features? Stability. I remember when Pinnacle and Premiere were crashing messes, whereas Vegas stood tall... robust and stable. I've been lying to myself the last few years. It is no longer so.

The only way to get Sony's attention is to stop buying the upgrades. Who's with me?

Comments

NickHope wrote on 1/24/2012, 1:59 PM
I'm still boycotting 11 until 10 gets fixed!
VanLazarus wrote on 1/24/2012, 2:00 PM
You were wiser than most of us. :)
VidMus wrote on 1/24/2012, 2:02 PM
"... that was foolish of us."

Please speak for yourself only. Do not use the word 'us'.

As for this thread, I am not with you! When I was using Ulead's MSP 8 the same thing happened. Guess what? They discontinued MSP and no longer developed for it because it was no longer justified to do so.

Do you want this to happen with Vegas? I don't!

There needs to be a way for those who need it but your idea is NOT the correct solution! SCS with already limited resources would be unable to do what you want without the funds.

Maybe it is like a catch 22 but please look for a different solution.

Clintano wrote on 1/24/2012, 2:12 PM
I am with you... Called support yesterday with issue where Vegas pro 11 64bit just stops responding. the details section just says "stopped working" and gives 2 file locations. The tech says there has to be more detail in that section. I was like "its your freakin program" you tell me why there is not more there. I was thoroughly peeved to say the least yesterday.

I can't believe that the flagship program here is so buggy you cant use it, his response was well in the mean time just use the 32 bit version.. Really guys... Come on!

MonteMedia wrote on 1/24/2012, 2:16 PM
I'm with you.

I can't even activate my recent purchase of Vegas 11 64-bit. And to boot, there is no way to talk to tech support - the whole department is in a training session. Right.

I've been using many Sonic Foundry - then Sony - applications since some of their earliest versions.

I use Premiere pro too. 5.5 is fast & fabulous. Go there! It's on sale right now if you are eligible for an upgrade.
Cliff Etzel wrote on 1/24/2012, 2:16 PM
I boycotted by moving to Adobe Premiere Pro CS5/5.5.

As much as I love the concept of Vegas, it's execution is less than professional and I find the Professional moniker being used in the name misleading.

There are those who use it for paid gigs and I commend you for continuing to take risks with an app that is more or less a lost cause IMO.

I lurk only because I have this small glimmer of hope that SCS will get their act together and quit adding features instead of fixing what's broken. I'm beginning to realize it's a lost cause to hope for a proper stable 64bit version that does professional things like import and export an AAF, EDL or Final Cut XML file without having to install the 32bit version - dumber than a box of rocks.

Requested that feature since version 9, still not implemented so I have pretty much given up on SCS and moved my entire production to Adobe - gritting my teeth the whole time.

'nuff said.
Leee wrote on 1/24/2012, 2:24 PM
It doesn't even have to be an organized boycott. Common sense tells me that if Vegas 11 is still crashing on me by the time 12 is released, (unless customers say that it works like a charm) I see no logical reason to upgrade.

Vegas 11 sort of caught everyone by surprise in it's extreme bugginess and crashability. Because most people had no real problems with 10 (at least after a couple of updates) no one was expecting 11 to be the unusable mess that it is today.

And I think SCS realizes that if they don't get Vegas 11 on track, and soon, they won't be seeing a lot of people upgrading to 12, which may or may not be even more unstable. Consumer confidence is an important thing. Smart consumers will not by a newer model of something if the previous model is a lemon.
Have you seen any 2012 Ford Pintos on the road lately?
R0cky wrote on 1/24/2012, 2:33 PM
I disagree that V10 is stable. It's not. It is just stable enough to get a short project done if you save every 5 mouse clicks or so.
VanLazarus wrote on 1/24/2012, 3:47 PM
@Vidmus.... I'd rather have no Vegas, than pouring money into a product that continues to frustrate and waste my time. SCS customer support is more brutal than their marketing for Vegas... which is saying a lot.

The Vegas Certification training that I recently attended had ONE other person. Yes, a total of 2 people in all of North America were training in 2011 to be certified in Vegas. That was a huge blow to my previous feeling that Vegas had a chance to take on Premiere. If VASST can only get 2 people to want to train in Vegas, why would Sony even care if Vegas has stability issues.

All I know is I'm going to raise hell at NAB this year at the SCS booth. If my concerns continue to be ignored, I'll be forced to start editing in Premiere. :(
i am erikd wrote on 1/24/2012, 3:48 PM
You wrote: "A few people on this forum want Vegas10 fixed."

That's right. We simply want what we paid for! I am not going to hold out for "pie in the sky" and hope real hard they get V11 fixed. They have lost my confidence and my respect. I'll believe in a newer, better version when and IF it ever happens but in the meantime SCS owes us for the ripoff that is V10.

BTW, a few people want Vegas 10 fixed??? And the list is still growing! (Others feel free to add your name to this list. Let's keep the pressure on!)

erikd
Nick Hope
bastinado
amendeqw
Bob Moyer
Rory Cooper
jimsch
Randy Brown
farss
winrock
JasonATL
ChristoC
PeterDuke
Leee
Hulk
kairosmatt
Alf Hanna
JHendrix
JJkizak
Soniclight
Radio Guy
robwood
kcw
stevengotts
johnmeyer
Steve Rhoden
ushere
paul w
Ecquillii
atom12

I know that there are many more lurkers than posters here on this forum so you can be sure there are plenty of other unsatisfied owners of V10. Stop lurking at least this one time. Take a few minutes to contribute to and maybe we can get some momentum that leads to real action from SCS.

amendegw wrote on 1/24/2012, 4:11 PM
Just so there's no misunderstanding. My name is on the above list because I think it would be a good idea for Sony to update Version 10 to fix the "Vegas Replaced my Footage" bug.

I don't want anyone to come to the conclusion that because my name is on that list, I'm in any way endorsing of a coordinated boycott of Vegas 12.

...Jerry

System Model: Alienware Area-51m R2
System: Windows 11 Home
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz, 3792 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)
Installed Memory: 64.0 GB
Display Adapter: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super (8GB), Nvidia Studio Driver 527.56 Dec 2022)
Overclock Off

Display: 1920x1080 144 hertz
Storage (12TB Total):
OS Drive: PM981a NVMe SAMSUNG 2048GB
Data Drive1: Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB
Data Drive2: Samsung SSD 870 QVO 8TB

USB: Thunderbolt 3 (USB Type-C) port Supports USB 3.2 Gen 2, DisplayPort 1.2, Thunderbolt 3

Cameras:
Canon R5
Canon R3
Sony A9

larry-peter wrote on 1/24/2012, 4:24 PM
I definitely won't add my name to a boycott, but if the "replaced footage bug" can be addressed with a patch in V10, rather than requiring a major rewrite, it should.

When I was a beta tester for Media100's 844/x a decade ago, many issues we found and even a few feature suggestions we made were implemented into the current release version because they weren't difficult to accomplish. Granted, this stopped when beta ended and the new version was released.

Even though it would be a first, it would be a marketing coup for Sony to do this. Something that would really set them apart from a standpoint of integrity - akin to a politician deciding to speak the truth.
farss wrote on 1/24/2012, 4:29 PM
It sounds like a good idea but I seriously doubt it'd be effective.
Hopefully less then 10% of the Vegas user base are members of this forum so even with 100% participation the impact on sales is going to be so small as to go unnoticed.
I would suggest writing a letter, the kind that's on paper, in an envelope with a stamp.
Hundreds of well written letters are hard to dismiss.

Bob.
ushere wrote on 1/24/2012, 4:42 PM
i think bob's suggestion is spot on - old time letter....

anyone have an address?

from my pov i certainly WOULDN'T put any money into 12 UNLESS 11 is sorted out first.

that said, by the final point release scs does seem to get it more or less right. (which ISN'T the way to do it!)
Siby wrote on 1/24/2012, 4:51 PM
I am not going to buy VP 12 unless VP11 is bullet proff. Even I started learning Adobe PP and Afte effects now.
Guy S. wrote on 1/24/2012, 4:57 PM
Sorry, but I've already pre-ordered Vegas Pro12. Sadly it does not have 4D, but it does support Sony's new scratch'n sniff format - and that actually sounded cool until I thought about what I produce: training videos for sewer pipe inspection cameras.
Steve Mann wrote on 1/24/2012, 5:05 PM
"I can't even activate my recent purchase of Vegas 11 64-bit. And to boot, there is no way to talk to tech support"

Activation and licensing problems are handled by Customer Support. Not Tech Support.
Steve Mann wrote on 1/24/2012, 5:08 PM
"Vegas 11 sort of caught everyone by surprise in it's extreme bugginess"

DO NOT speak for me. I and many, many Vegas users are very pleased with Vegas 11.

You can boycott all you want, but your numbers ("everyone"??) are so small compared to satisfied users that no one will care. Least of all, Sony.
Erni wrote on 1/24/2012, 5:15 PM
Here, the version 521 seems very stable and solid. Working for hours with very different formats mixed in the timeline without any problem.

Open Photoshop and After Effects at same time (and the bat mail, firefox, microsoft security essentials, chrome, sound forge and jdownloader)

I use 3 hard disk internals SATA, 2 externals USB 2, and one eSata with the video and audio files. The carrys are Thermaltake BlacX.

No one trouble.

Erni
winrockpost wrote on 1/24/2012, 5:18 PM
didn't buy 11...not thrilled with 10,, 8 is pretty good.....so maybe I'm boycotting..sony doesn't give a rats ass.
trying to get a mass boycot will not work, some folk will swear its stable and anyone who says otherwise is an idiot....

its probably my 4 stystems that is the issue..I figure

MUTTLEY wrote on 1/24/2012, 5:43 PM

"some folk will swear its stable and anyone who says otherwise is an idiot"

As I've been one of the people on the other side of the coin in many of these types of posts I want to be clear, again, that I have never had issue with people putting forth their complaints or pointing out problems they are having who are in search of a solution. I have said more than once I have as much vested interest in Vegas becoming better as anyone. Reporting these issues, confirming them with our peers, bringing them to light is in my best interest.

My only issue is with the approach by some that seem, at least to me, more interested in simply bashing the company and/or software unproductively instead of using the forums as a tool to fact gather, troubleshoot, and in general help make Vegas (as well as these forums) better for everyone.

- Ray
Underground Planet

ChristoC wrote on 1/24/2012, 5:44 PM
I added my name to the other topic http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/forums/ShowMessage.asp?MessageID=793540 ".... to officially request Sony for a 10f release for the specific purpose of fixing the "replaced footage" bug." for the reasons stated therein, .... so VegasPro10 works correctly as advertised - that's what I paid for ...; at this stage I do not support any boycott of V12 as proposed in current topic.
RalphM wrote on 1/24/2012, 6:02 PM
This forum is a place to collaborate on issues, features and such. It is provided by Sony. I did not buy V11 as I am a very light user of Vegas, and no not need the features it promised. I am not in a position to feel the pain of these problems, nor do I doubt their existence.

However, since I am a guest of Sony's, I would not abuse their hospitality even if I were really ticked off. There are other neutral grounds (other forums) to do that.

Vegas is important to us and to those who work at SCS, but to Sony corporate, it's a very minor product and when minor products become a publicity headache, large companies pull the plug.

Just my opinion...

Geoff_Wood wrote on 1/24/2012, 6:10 PM
Stuff V12, I'm boycotting it, and will get V14 once V13 (with 6D) becomes stable.

geoff