From Vegas to HandBrake

Comments

Red Prince wrote on 1/9/2017, 9:42 AM

Good! :)

He who knows does not speak; he who speaks does not know.
                    — Lao Tze in Tao Te Ching

Can you imagine the silence if everyone only said what he knows?
                    — Karel Čapek (The guy who gave us the word “robot” in R.U.R.)

Predatorace wrote on 1/9/2017, 10:10 AM

Good! :)

Hi Red Prince, alright so it works now, it starts Handbrake and I just finished encoding a small test video (I did add 1 second to the loop region because of the FrameServer bug). However the rendered video has a red filter over it... (see attached image) Any idea what this might be? I already see it in Vegas after I click the Vegas2Handbrake button, it runs the script and then suddenly the preview screen shows these red lines covering the whole image.

Red Prince wrote on 1/9/2017, 11:32 AM

No, sorry I don’t know, but hopefully someone else does.

Predatorace wrote on 1/9/2017, 2:20 PM

No, sorry I don’t know, but hopefully someone else does.

Hi Red Prince, I managed to fix it myself. Turned out it had to do with my 'project settings', I had the pixel format on 32-bit floating point (full range) once I changed it to 8-bit it worked, I think 32-bit floating point (video levels) will also work. Pffft. Quite a hassle. But *yaaaay* I fixed it!

Red Prince wrote on 1/9/2017, 2:30 PM

Strange. I always use 32-bit floating point full range and have not had that problem.

MikeLV wrote on 1/10/2017, 4:00 PM

So I just signed onto the forum after a while of being away, still using the older Sony version of Vegas but I know the new one is available. I noticed right away the Handbrake thread on the front page. I was hoping that with the new version of Vegas by the new company that we wouldn't need Handbrake for producing high quality H.264 files. Is this not the case? Do we still need the Vegas to Handbrake workflow in order to create high quality low bitrate videos?

NickHope wrote on 1/10/2017, 7:51 PM

Do we still need the Vegas to Handbrake workflow in order to create high quality low bitrate videos?

Depends what you mean by "high quality". The 2 AVC encoders basically haven't changed for a few versions but you can do a pretty good job (slowly) with the MainConcept encoder at the right settings. The options are summarized in this post: https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/faq-how-can-i-improve-the-quality-of-my-avc-h-264-renders--104642/

MikeLV wrote on 1/10/2017, 8:21 PM

High quality meaning better than Vegas' mp4 encoders. Read through your posts. Doesn't sound like much has changed except more steps to get v2h script to work. I need to convert DVDs to videos for download from the web. Don't see a reason to upgrade to 14?

NickHope wrote on 1/10/2017, 10:26 PM

High quality meaning better than Vegas' mp4 encoders. Read through your posts. Doesn't sound like much has changed except more steps to get v2h script to work. I need to convert DVDs to videos for download from the web. Don't see a reason to upgrade to 14?

Getting V2H to work wasn't a big deal in my experience. You wouldn't upgrade to VP14 for the AVC rendering but there are other useful new features and lots of little fixes.

ushere wrote on 1/12/2017, 3:03 AM

don't really have any business in this thread other than curiosity....

with all my projects (commercial and personal), i've always rendered a 'master' file, ie. either high bitrate dnxhd or mxf hd and more recently, xavc-i not only as a safety but also as an archive / backup.

when it comes to rendering for net i use these files via handbrake as normal.

what is the advantage of frame serving or is it simply that people don't create final intermediaries?

NickHope wrote on 1/12/2017, 3:29 AM
what is the advantage of frame serving or is it simply that people don't create final intermediaries?

Time saver, space saver, and passes uncompressed quality to the renderer.

I was having some trouble with V2H yesterday. Twice hung at 97% through my render, and there was nothing special going on at that point in the project. No idea what was causing it. Went back to frameserving to MeGUI and got my project out, albeit with the audio click and unmatched streams at the end which you get from Frameserver in VP12, 13, 14).

ushere wrote on 1/12/2017, 5:06 PM

thanks nick. appreciated. the first two don't worry me, and i doubt i'd see any loss coming from my intermediary either.

but... hb simply knocks out .mp4. do you save your projects complete or is the final mp4 it?

GJeffrey wrote on 1/12/2017, 6:48 PM

Anybody knows how to replace the audio in Handbrake to use a pre rendred one instead of the buggy frameserved one?

NickHope wrote on 1/12/2017, 8:05 PM
but... hb simply knocks out .mp4. do you save your projects complete or is the final mp4 it?

I keep everything.... nearly. I have all my significant project files, all the media that was put in them (in their original formats), and most of my working MagicYUV (or similar) intermediates for major projects too. I've never rendered anything "as a master" to archive unless we're talking smart rendering of original footage. I do keep the crf18-20 AVC files that I upload to YouTube, but I always have the original media they were rendered from.

Of course, if I ever move beyond capturing 8-bit 4:2:0 long-GOP then I might have to rethink this or buy shares in Western Digital.

Anybody knows how to replace the audio in Handbrake to use a pre rendred one instead of the buggy frameserved one?

I don't think you can choose separate video and audio sources in Handbrake. You'd have to remux in mp4box etc.. MeGUI can accept different video and audio sources.

GJeffrey wrote on 1/12/2017, 8:49 PM

I don't think you choose separate video and audio sources in Handbrake. You'd have to remux in mp4box etc.. MeGUI can accept different video and audio sources.

Thanks Nick.

Handbrake is not for me then. I'd better use other alternatives which offer more flexibility (like MeGui)

ushere wrote on 1/12/2017, 11:03 PM

again thanks nick.

i too keep completed projects in their entirety - hd space being so cheap nowadays - but i suppose old habits die hard when it comes to creating 'masters'. still, makes life easy when simple changes are required or alternative distribution formats are needed.