Help, Audio is distorted (when originally filmed)

Julius_ wrote on 5/22/2023, 5:30 PM

Hi,

I recorded an entire wedding reception with distorted sound.....my once trusted audio meters (although never in the red) seems to have mis-guided me. Both channels were recorded with the same input (I usually record one channel with a lower gain, but not this time :(

Can this be adjusted?

Any recommendations?

Comments

Howard-Vigorita wrote on 5/22/2023, 6:20 PM

You could try using a clipped peak restoration tool such as is found in Sound Forge. But since it's mostly a DJ playing songs, might be easier to just get clean copies of the pieces and swap em in. You could also envelope any audience outbursts from the camera audio track and mix a little of that in to preserve the live feel.

Former user wrote on 5/22/2023, 6:35 PM

That's the reason to record in 32bit float if that option was available to you via camera or external recorder

Julius_ wrote on 5/22/2023, 6:38 PM

You could try using a clipped peak restoration tool such as is found in Sound Forge. But since it's mostly a DJ playing songs, might be easier to just get clean copies of the pieces and swap em in. You could also envelope any audience outbursts from the camera audio track and mix a little of that in to preserve the live feel.

No, this was a band playing..this one just one clip....I filmed for 2 hours that night

Joelson wrote on 5/22/2023, 7:45 PM

@Julius_ This has happened to me too. The only solution that worked for me was VST Perfect Decliper.

http://www.perfectdeclipper.com/

Its price is too high, but I liked the result so much that I decided to buy it. I don't regret it because he has saved me many times.

See below how your clip turned out using the VST Perfect Decliper

Julius_ wrote on 5/22/2023, 8:05 PM

@Julius_ This has happened to me too. The only solution that worked for me was VST Perfect Decliper.

http://www.perfectdeclipper.com/

Its price is too high, but I liked the result so much that I decided to buy it. I don't regret it because he has saved me many times.

See below how your clip turned out using the VST Perfect Decliper

Oh my!! Joelson!! Joelson! Joelson!

This is incredible....and incredible fast too!

THANK YOU SO MUCH for taking the time to do this...I'm ...like....WOW!!!

I salute you!

Oh man, you just saved me here. The good news is that the bad clips were only with the music (and not speeches), and those bad clips were mostly in the long dances...so not many clips to adjust.

This program is a little pricey for me....but maybe I can hire you to adjust the clips that I need?? I can put them on a FTP site for you to download.

My email is granata5@hotmail.com

Oh Joelson!! THANK YOU!!!!

rraud wrote on 5/23/2023, 9:50 AM

Likley, a line-level +4dB signal was sent to a (-50dB) mic level input which over loaded the input stage, and in many cases, lowering the record volume alone will not help.

In some cases, severe preamp distortion cannot be adequately fixed by clipped peak restore software, not even with iZ 's RX-10 Advanced.

Howard-Vigorita wrote on 5/23/2023, 10:37 AM

Regarding the dual-parallel input/adc float flash-recorders, I've heard good things about the zooms. But if my aging 744 and 788's ever give up the ghost, I'd fork over the extra to stick with sound devices.

mark-y wrote on 5/23/2023, 11:24 AM

That clipping is pretty bad. It pretty much is what it is. Joelson's plugin sounds pretty good.

This is very light Declipping with Izotope. The one thing that can be done is to de-emphasize the room's resonant frequency, which is ~65Hz.

rraud wrote on 5/23/2023, 4:51 PM

FP32 is not totally fool-proof and will not stop some idiot from feeding line-level to a mic-level input.

Folks who use 700 series Sound Devices recorders, usually do not need 32 bit, as their sole purpose is recording sound. That said, FP32 can be useful in an unpredictable SPL environment.

Julius_ wrote on 5/23/2023, 11:01 PM

@Joelson I sent you a private message