Suggestions For Ways VEGAS Can Improve

Comments

Howard-Vigorita wrote on 9/19/2022, 6:14 PM

As well as startup and exit scripts.

@Howard-Vigorita This can already be done. You can tell VEGAS to run a script upon startup. You just start VEGAS from a batch file something like:

"c:\Program Files\VEGAS\VEGAS Pro 20.0\vegas200.exe" -SCRIPT:"d:\StartupScript.cs"

Plus, Custom Commands can monitor for "AppInitialized" which would occur on the startup of VEGAS and also monitor for "AppWindowClosing" and "AppWindowClosed" which might be useful for an exiting script. I'd have to do some testing to verify exactly how these event handlers work.

What are the types of things you're wanting to do on startup and exit?

Thanks... @jetdv Sure if there was a way, you'd know. If I knew how, I'd run a startup script to monitor the main Vegas app window and issue this command as soon as it closed:

%SystemRoot%\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe "taskkill /IM vegas200.exe /F 

Running a command manually to kick Vegas out of Memory every time I restart is getting tiresome.

jetdv wrote on 9/19/2022, 7:01 PM

@Howard-Vigorita A script is a run and done. A custom command stays running all the time. So it seems this would need to be part of a custom command instead of a script. However, the extension would need to really make sure VEGAS was exiting before trying to run this command.

What happens if you put both my line (don't even need the 'SCRIPT:... part) and my line in the same batch file? Then when you want to start VEGAS, start it using that batch file instead? Will the batch file wait until you exit VEGAS to run the next line? Or would it never run because it "thinks it's still running"? Looks like there's potentially a lot of variables here.

Howard-Vigorita wrote on 9/19/2022, 8:10 PM

I do have a powershell script to start Vegas which 'almost' works. Problem is Vegas doesn't issue its exit code till it exits memory long after it closes the app window. Only seems to do this on my laptops with Nvidia+Intel igpus. This is the powershell script:

Start-Process -Wait -FilePath "C:\Program Files\VEGAS\VEGAS Pro 20.0\vegas200.exe"
if($?) {
echo program successful!!!!
pause
}

Only complication I can think of is the perfect kill should only hit the one instance of Vegas if there were more than 1.

Seb-o wrote on 9/19/2022, 8:57 PM

Ditto on Performance/stablity. (of course, and thanks fr0sty/team for "getting it.")

GUI: Key Commands for Select next/previous Event and simlarly, Event above/below. So one can Keep a PanCrop/FX window open (you can do this with mouse select, but needs Key command). Also Programmable Mouse options.

Range select as in Samplitude - IOW, can lasso-select any time-line rectangle, verically/horizontally, without necessarily selecting whole events IOW, cuts on the frame, not event edge. Options for audio follow (selected range) or video only. That selected range can be deleted/copied/moved any direction, and maybe compressed/ expanded with/without time ripple

Howard-Vigorita wrote on 9/20/2022, 8:41 PM

@jetdv Took your hint to look at the application window in a powershell script that starts Vegas...

$myVegas=(Start-Process -FilePath "C:\Program Files\VEGAS\VEGAS Pro 20.0\vegas200.exe" -passthru).ID
if($?) {
Start-Sleep -Seconds 3 
while ( (Get-Process -id $myVegas).MainWindowHandle -ne 0) { Start-Sleep -Seconds 3 }
echo "Vegas has left the building!"
Stop-Process -ID $myVegas
}

Thanks for that!

EDIT... Updated script to end the entire Vegas Process tree... I also lengthened the startup delay before monitoring starts:

$myVegas=(Start-Process -FilePath "C:\Program Files\VEGAS\VEGAS Pro 20.0\vegas200.exe" -passthru).ID
if($?) {
Start-Sleep -Seconds 10
while ( (Get-Process  -ErrorVariable a -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue -id $myVegas).MainWindowHandle -ne 0) { Start-Sleep -Seconds 5 }
  function Kill-Tree {
      Param([int]$ppid)
      Get-CimInstance Win32_Process | Where-Object { $_.ParentProcessId -eq $ppid } | ForEach-Object { Kill-Tree $_.ProcessId }
      Stop-Process -Id $ppid
  }
Kill-Tree $myVegas
echo "Vegas has left the building!"
}

edit: increased sleep-delay in tree-killing loop to give Windows more time to complete terminations

fr0sty wrote on 9/21/2022, 2:25 AM

GUI: Key Commands for Select next/previous Event and simlarly, Event above/below. So one can Keep a PanCrop/FX window open (you can do this with mouse select, but needs Key command). Also Programmable Mouse options.

Would also be useful for color grading at the event level.

Last changed by fr0sty on 9/21/2022, 2:25 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

Systems:

Desktop

AMD Ryzen 7 1800x 8 core 16 thread at stock speed

64GB 3000mhz DDR4

Geforce RTX 3090

Windows 10

Laptop:

ASUS Zenbook Pro Duo 32GB (9980HK CPU, RTX 2060 GPU, dual 4K touch screens, main one OLED HDR)

bitman wrote on 9/21/2022, 6:05 AM

Make Vegas cheaper each time you renew or get the latest version (like a loyalty dependent scheme- the more versions you have purchased in the past, the bigger the reduction for a new version)

APPS: VIDEO: VP 365 (22 build 122, 21 - build 315), VP 365 20, VP 19 post (latest build -651), (uninstalled VP 12,13,14,15,16 Suite,17, VP18 post), Vegasaur, a lot of NEWBLUE plugins, Mercalli 6.0, Respeedr, Vasco Da Gamma 17 HDpro XXL, Boris Continuum 2024, Davinci Resolve Studio 18, SOUND: RX 10 advanced Audio Editor, Sound Forge Pro 18, Spectral Layers Pro 10, Audacity, FOTO: Zoner studio X, DXO photolab (8), Luminar, Topaz...

• CPU: i9-13900K (upgraded my former CPU i9-12900K),
  • Air Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 G2 HBC (September 2024 upgrade from Noctua NH-D15s)
  • RAM: DDR5 Corsair 64GB (5600-40 Vengeance)
  • Graphics card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3090 TUF OC GAMING (24GB) 
  • Monitor: LG 38 inch ultra-wide (21x9) - Resolution: 3840x1600
  • C-drive: Corsair MP600 PRO XT NVMe SSD 4TB (PCIe Gen. 4)
  • Video drives: Samsung NVMe SSD 2TB (980 pro and 970 EVO plus) each 2TB
  • Mass Data storage & Backup: WD gold 6TB + WD Yellow 4TB
  • MOBO: Gigabyte Z690 AORUS MASTER
  • PSU: Corsair HX1500i, Case: Fractal Design Define 7 (PCGH edition)
  • Misc.: Logitech G915, Evoluent Vertical Mouse, shuttlePROv2

Googly-Smythe wrote on 9/21/2022, 12:39 PM

1] Ability to edit multiple keyframes in one go. (If VEGAS can already do this, how?)

2] Get rid of every instance of the Vista open/save dialog.

3] Use different variables for the import media and open/save project files. I keep having to navigate from my projects folder to where I keep my media, sometimes involving drilling down through several layers of folders.

A 100% amateur, making ham-fisted music with my guitar since 1969, soon after seeing Pink Floyd at the Festival Hall, the Albert Hall and the Fairfild Halls.

My main software is Cubase, but I use VEGAS to make videos to post on BitChute and, rarely, on Youtube.

My first computer was an Atari STE 1040, because it could run Cubase and had built-in MIDI ports.

Currently using an i9 12900/Radeon 6700XT machine, 64 gigs RAM, 2 x 32" 1440p monitors, Win 10, VEGAS 20.

George-Abihider wrote on 1/13/2023, 9:54 PM

What are the top 3 things you want to see the development team focus on improving first? Keep in mind this is different than new feature requests, this is discussing improvements to what is already there.

1. Ability to save Keyframe animation from...

A. Pan/Crop

B. Picture in Picture.

2. Better (larger, more prominent) display of 'In', 'Out' and 'Duration' time code / time

There seems to a bug - if you 'click and drag' the cursor it will display the above ('In', 'Out' and 'Duration' ).

BUT, after clicking and dragging - highlighting an area with the Yellow 'In' / 'Out' markers - I get great 'In', 'Out' and 'Duration' numbers. If I click anywhere the Yellow markers themselves remain and the cursor position (time code) shows the current position. Then, if I try to adjust one the Yellow 'In' / 'Out' markers by clicking and dragging, I get nothing. Not even the current position time shows.

3. I'll get back to you on the third.

Thanks

ALO wrote on 1/14/2023, 11:11 AM

make it into a "it just works" kind of app.

There are probably a lot of us out there who would be brand ambassadors but feel it's impossible to recommend because it's so unreliable. We all know how often we click that save button, and no amount of "what are your system specs and have you updated your drivers..." can erase that reality.

I would guess truly fixing Vegas would involve rebuilding it from the ground up using a modern programming language & best practices.

Personally, I think Vegas is worth it. It's a testimony to the quality of the Vegas timeline editing experience (vs competitors) that I still put up with it given all the frustrations!

Reyfox wrote on 1/14/2023, 11:14 AM

I am not a part of the "we" you are mentioning. For "me", I find Vegas just as stable as Resolve Studio or anything else I edit with.

I've recommended Vegas, and those that have tried it, switched. No editor is perfect. No editor is 100% reliable.

Even a total re-write, there is no guarantee it will be 100% perfect with the thousands upon thousands of line of coding.

Last changed by Reyfox on 1/14/2023, 11:17 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

Newbie😁

Vegas Pro 22 (VP18-21 also installed)

Win 11 Pro always updated

AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16 cores / 32 threads

32GB DDR4 3200

Sapphire RX6700XT 12GB Driver: 22.5.1, testing 24.7.1

Gigabyte X570 Elite Motherboard

Wiew wrote on 1/14/2023, 11:21 AM

I still keep hoping for the lock on the tracks , works faster ;-)

Also the pan and crop function could be better

and the Title editor ;-)

m3lquixd wrote on 1/14/2023, 2:35 PM

Is this still valid? I have a list of improvements to existing Vegas features. Nothing new, just fixes and improvements.

About me:
Hi! Melqui Calheiros Here. I've been using Vegas as my only video editor for over 10 years. I edit professionally for various influencers, public bodies and small businesses. My goal is to squeeze Vegas to the fullest! And end the prejudice that software has here in Brazil.

⬇️ Some of my jobs. ⬇️
https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/post-your-vegas-creations--109464/?page=37#ca872169

PC Specs:
Operating System:
    Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
CPU:
    AMD Ryzen 3 3200G 3.60 GHz
RAM:
    32,0GB Dual-Channel DDR4 2666MHz
Motherboard:
    BIOSTAR Group B450MX-S (AM4)
Graphics:
    4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 (ZOTAC International)
Storage:
    465GB Seagate ST500DM002-1BD142 (SATA )
    238GB Lexar 256GB SSD (SATA (SSD))
  931GB KINGSTON SNV2S1000G (SATA-2 (SSD))

vkmast wrote on 1/14/2023, 2:57 PM

@m3lquixd you might want to wait for the next build/update to see if any/some/many of the fixes and improvements you'd suggest will be implemented.

MikeS wrote on 1/15/2023, 1:08 PM

>you might want to wait

Depends how long that wait is! 😉 New update keeps getting teased at the moment ...

Last changed by MikeS on 1/15/2023, 1:09 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

Vegas Post 21 Build 315
Boris FX Continuum for OFX 2024.5 Build 17.5.0.336
Boris FX Mocha Pro Plug-in 2024 v11.0.2 Build 32
Windows 10 Pro - 64-Bit
ASUS PRIME Z390-P motherboard
Intel Core i7-97000K @ 3.6GHz
RAM 32GB (2x 16GB) 2666MHz DDR4
GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER

VEGASDerek wrote on 1/15/2023, 1:42 PM

The new update is indeed coming...we know it has been a long wait. We have been taking our time a bit more with updates to VEGAS Pro 20 to ensure what we release is solid. We had too many problematic updates for VEGAS Pro 19.

rainpyrn wrote on 1/28/2023, 9:50 AM

Less CPU and more GPU pls! (rendering, encoding, playback, plugins etc)

And a decent AI upscale plugin pls. (Coz current AI upscale is basically a pan/crop or zoom tool, not upscale)

bvideo wrote on 2/13/2023, 3:58 PM

For missing plugins: What if Vegas could offer a "safe mode" on opening where it could leave placeholders where the missing plugins belong? The "parameters" of the placeholder could be nothing more than the name & ID of the plugin. Even better if it could list some parameter names & values. Maybe not even a "safe mode", but default behavior which is otherwise harmless. (audio and video)

It is otherwise a real pain to resurrect a project with missing plugins. Just one example: I installed Izotope RX9 and uninstalled RX6. Izotope changed names or IDs for its plugins, so my projects using RX6 are broken.

Reyfox wrote on 2/14/2023, 5:52 AM

@bvideo, a "safe mode" sans all plugins would be great! At least plugins can be eliminated from a possibly faulty install of Vegas.

I've had Vegas fail to launch when loading a specific plugin set and had to go to the plugin common folder and/or delete the plugin cache to have it rebuild.

It can be a little vexing for sure.

Wolfgang S. wrote on 2/14/2023, 6:13 AM

a) improved playback behaviour even for more professional codecs and raw

b) improved stability

c) improved HDR preview using I/O cards

d) improved grading tools, for both SDR and HDR

Last changed by Wolfgang S. on 2/14/2023, 6:14 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

Desktop: PC AMD 3960X, 24x3,8 Mhz * GTX 3080 Ti (12 GB)* Blackmagic Extreme 4K 12G * QNAP Max8 10 Gb Lan * Resolve Studio 18 * Edius X* Blackmagic Pocket 6K/6K Pro, EVA1, FS7

Laptop: ProArt Studiobook 16 OLED * internal HDR preview * i9 12900H with i-GPU Iris XE * 32 GB Ram) * Geforce RTX 3070 TI 8GB * internal HDR preview on the laptop monitor * Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K mini

HDR monitor: ProArt Monitor PA32 UCG-K 1600 nits, Atomos Sumo

Others: Edius NX (Canopus NX)-card in an old XP-System. Edius 4.6 and other systems

relaxvideo wrote on 2/14/2023, 6:36 AM

b

b!

b!!!

:)

#1 Ryzen 5-1600, 16GB DDR4, Nvidia 1660 Super, M2-SSD, Acer freesync monitor

#2 i7-2600, 32GB, Nvidia 1660Ti, SSD for system, M2-SSD for work, 2x4TB hdd, LG 3D monitor +3DTV +3D projectors

Win10 x64, Vegas22 latest

Former user wrote on 3/12/2023, 12:58 AM

I"m not sure what you call this, but being able to see the FX and composite option without adding the effect. being able to mouse over the option is so much faster then adding and playing back. (the mouse pointer doesn't show)

walter-i. wrote on 3/12/2023, 3:14 AM

I"m not sure what you call this, but being able to see the FX and composite option without adding the effect. being able to mouse over the option is so much faster then adding and playing back. (the mouse pointer doesn't show)

+1

Dexcon wrote on 3/12/2023, 5:06 AM

I"m not sure what you call this, but being able to see the FX and composite option without adding the effect ...

It possibly could be called 'FX Preview' - and a great suggestion it is.

NBFX Titler Pro has that feature where an animation can be previewed before it is added to the TP timeline. It is a very useful feature.

Cameras: Sony FDR-AX100E; GoPro Hero 11 Black Creator Edition

Installed: Vegas Pro 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 & 21, HitFilm Pro 2021.3, DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.5, BCC 2023.5, Mocha Pro 2023, Ignite Pro, NBFX TotalFX 7, Neat NR, DVD Architect 6.0, MAGIX Travel Maps, Sound Forge Pro 16, SpectraLayers Pro 11, iZotope RX10 Advanced and many other iZ plugins, Vegasaur 4.0

Windows 11

Dell Alienware Aurora 11

10th Gen Intel i9 10900KF - 10 cores (20 threads) - 3.7 to 5.3 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8GB GDDR6 - liquid cooled

64GB RAM - Dual Channel HyperX FURY DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz

C drive: 2TB Samsung 990 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 PCIe SSD

D: drive: 4TB Samsung 870 SATA SSD (used for media for editing current projects)

E: drive: 2TB Samsung 870 SATA SSD

F: drive: 6TB WD 7200 rpm Black HDD 3.5"

Dell Ultrasharp 32" 4K Color Calibrated Monitor