Suggestions For Ways VEGAS Can Improve

Comments

Howard-Vigorita wrote on 9/19/2022, 6:14 PM

As well as startup and exit scripts.

@Howard-Vigorita This can already be done. You can tell VEGAS to run a script upon startup. You just start VEGAS from a batch file something like:

"c:\Program Files\VEGAS\VEGAS Pro 20.0\vegas200.exe" -SCRIPT:"d:\StartupScript.cs"

Plus, Custom Commands can monitor for "AppInitialized" which would occur on the startup of VEGAS and also monitor for "AppWindowClosing" and "AppWindowClosed" which might be useful for an exiting script. I'd have to do some testing to verify exactly how these event handlers work.

What are the types of things you're wanting to do on startup and exit?

Thanks... @jetdv Sure if there was a way, you'd know. If I knew how, I'd run a startup script to monitor the main Vegas app window and issue this command as soon as it closed:

%SystemRoot%\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe "taskkill /IM vegas200.exe /F 

Running a command manually to kick Vegas out of Memory every time I restart is getting tiresome.

jetdv wrote on 9/19/2022, 7:01 PM

@Howard-Vigorita A script is a run and done. A custom command stays running all the time. So it seems this would need to be part of a custom command instead of a script. However, the extension would need to really make sure VEGAS was exiting before trying to run this command.

What happens if you put both my line (don't even need the 'SCRIPT:... part) and my line in the same batch file? Then when you want to start VEGAS, start it using that batch file instead? Will the batch file wait until you exit VEGAS to run the next line? Or would it never run because it "thinks it's still running"? Looks like there's potentially a lot of variables here.

Howard-Vigorita wrote on 9/19/2022, 8:10 PM

I do have a powershell script to start Vegas which 'almost' works. Problem is Vegas doesn't issue its exit code till it exits memory long after it closes the app window. Only seems to do this on my laptops with Nvidia+Intel igpus. This is the powershell script:

Start-Process -Wait -FilePath "C:\Program Files\VEGAS\VEGAS Pro 20.0\vegas200.exe"
if($?) {
echo program successful!!!!
pause
}

Only complication I can think of is the perfect kill should only hit the one instance of Vegas if there were more than 1.

Seb-o wrote on 9/19/2022, 8:57 PM

Ditto on Performance/stablity. (of course, and thanks fr0sty/team for "getting it.")

GUI: Key Commands for Select next/previous Event and simlarly, Event above/below. So one can Keep a PanCrop/FX window open (you can do this with mouse select, but needs Key command). Also Programmable Mouse options.

Range select as in Samplitude - IOW, can lasso-select any time-line rectangle, verically/horizontally, without necessarily selecting whole events IOW, cuts on the frame, not event edge. Options for audio follow (selected range) or video only. That selected range can be deleted/copied/moved any direction, and maybe compressed/ expanded with/without time ripple

Howard-Vigorita wrote on 9/20/2022, 8:41 PM

@jetdv Took your hint to look at the application window in a powershell script that starts Vegas...

$myVegas=(Start-Process -FilePath "C:\Program Files\VEGAS\VEGAS Pro 20.0\vegas200.exe" -passthru).ID
if($?) {
Start-Sleep -Seconds 3 
while ( (Get-Process -id $myVegas).MainWindowHandle -ne 0) { Start-Sleep -Seconds 3 }
echo "Vegas has left the building!"
Stop-Process -ID $myVegas
}

Thanks for that!

EDIT... Updated script to end the entire Vegas Process tree... I also lengthened the startup delay before monitoring starts:

$myVegas=(Start-Process -FilePath "C:\Program Files\VEGAS\VEGAS Pro 20.0\vegas200.exe" -passthru).ID
if($?) {
Start-Sleep -Seconds 10
while ( (Get-Process  -ErrorVariable a -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue -id $myVegas).MainWindowHandle -ne 0) { Start-Sleep -Seconds 3 }
  function Stop-Process-Tree {
      Param([int]$ppid)
      Get-CimInstance Win32_Process | Where-Object { $_.ParentProcessId -eq $ppid } | ForEach-Object { Kill-Tree $_.ProcessId }
      Stop-Process -Id $ppid
  }
Stop-Process-Tree $myVegas
echo "Vegas has left the building!"
}

fr0sty wrote on 9/21/2022, 2:25 AM

GUI: Key Commands for Select next/previous Event and simlarly, Event above/below. So one can Keep a PanCrop/FX window open (you can do this with mouse select, but needs Key command). Also Programmable Mouse options.

Would also be useful for color grading at the event level.

Last changed by fr0sty on 9/21/2022, 2:25 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

Systems:

Desktop

AMD Ryzen 7 1800x 8 core 16 thread at stock speed

64GB 3000mhz DDR4

Geforce RTX 3090

Windows 10

Laptop:

ASUS Zenbook Pro Duo 32GB (9980HK CPU, RTX 2060 GPU, dual 4K touch screens, main one OLED HDR)

bitman wrote on 9/21/2022, 6:05 AM

Make Vegas cheaper each time you renew or get the latest version (like a loyalty dependent scheme- the more versions you have purchased in the past, the bigger the reduction for a new version)

APPS: VIDEO: VP 365 (20), VP 19 post (latest build -643), (uninstalled VP 12,13,14,15,16 Suite,17, VP18 post), Vegasaur, a lot of NEWBLUE plugins, Mercalli 6.0, Respeedr, Vasco Da Gamma 15 HDpro XXL, Boris Continuum 2022.5, Davinci Resolve Studio 18, SOUND: RX 9 advanced Audio Editor, Sound Forge Audio Clean Lab 3, Sound Forge Audio Studio 16, Sound Forge Pro 14, Spectral Layers Pro 8, Audacity, FOTO: Zoner, DXO, Luminar, Topaz...

• CPU: i12900K with Cooler: Noctua NH-D15s
  • RAM: DDR5 Corsair 64GB (5600-40 Vengeance)
  • Graphics card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3090 TUF OC GAMING (24GB) 
  • Monitor: LG 38 inch ultra-wide (21x9) - Resolution: 3840x1600
  • C-drive: Corsair MP600 PRO XT NVMe SSD 4TB (PCIe Gen. 4)
  • Video drives: Samsung NVMe SSD 2TB (980 pro and 970 EVO plus) each 2TB
  • Mass Data storage & Backup: WD gold 6TB + WD Yellow 4TB
  • MOBO: Gigabyte Z690 AORUS MASTER
  • PS: Corsair HX1500i, Case: Fractal Design Define 7 (PCGH edition)
  • Misc: Logitech G915, Evoluent Vertical Mouse, shuttlePROv2

Ayo wrote on 9/21/2022, 12:39 PM

1] Ability to edit multiple keyframes in one go. (If VEGAS can already do this, how?)

2] Get rid of every instance of the Vista open/save dialog.

3] Use different variables for the import media and open/save project files. I keep having to navigate from my projects folder to where I keep my media, sometimes involving drilling down through several layers of folders.