Intel Arc a770 and Vegas (can't get it working)

jimingo-1 wrote on 12/30/2022, 5:05 PM

I got a new laptop with an iGPU and a Nvidia 3070 ti and realized that with the footage I am working with (mostly 422 and h.265) the iGPU gives me much better playback than the 3070ti.

So for my desktop computer, I decided to get a Intel Arc a770 limited edition 16gb because the 6700xt that it is replacing just isn't cutting it. I have a Ryzen 3950 processor (which is compatible) so I updated my BIOS and installed the a770. I then installed the latest drivers but Vegas does not recognize the a770. Also, Vegas won't even open now. It gives me an error message something about the OpenCL.dll in C>Windows>System32. If I delete that .dll, Vegas does open but does not detect the a770.

Also, if I open GPU-Z, Open CL is unchecked but I'm pretty sure the a770 is supposed to support open cl so I don't know what's going on. If anyone knows how to get this graphics card working with Vegas, I'd love to know. Thanks

Comments

Howard-Vigorita wrote on 12/30/2022, 5:44 PM

Could be the Intel driver... my gpu-z screen looks like this:

The OpenCL box should be checked. If it's not, and an Intel driver update doesn't fix it, I suggest doing an uninstall of the Intel driver using the free online DDU utility offline while not connected to the Internet so WindowsUpdate can't interfere during the reinstall.

I experienced an inability to start Vegas once but it wasn't Arc. There was some mix-up with a Vegas and Deep Learning updates affecting Vegas Window layouts. Got Vegas going again by uninstalling Deep Learning and starting Vegas without it, adjusting and saving its layouts. Then exited and installed the correct Deep Learning version that matched the Vegas update.

Note that I have the Arc in slot #2 with a 6900xt in slot #1. I don't think the Arc is good enough or fast enough to replace a 6700xt. What it excels at is decoding and rendering qsv. I select the Amd in Windows System/Display/Graphics by choosing High Performance (AMD gpu) in an entry for Vegas Pro. Once you get into Vegas, set the gpu in video prefs to the AMD which should be tagged as Optimal. Pick the Arc in i/o prefs for decoding.

jimingo-1 wrote on 12/30/2022, 7:03 PM

Thank you! That totally worked. I ran DDU for NVIDIA, AMD and Intel since I had other graphics cards installed before and then reinstalled the Intel drivers and Vegas now works and detects the a770.

The intel cards are a game changer right now for Vegas. I have a 6900xt installed on another computer but for the footage I'm dealing with, the a770 or even an intel iGPU destroys the 6900xt performance and stability wise.

I understand it's because I'm dealing with a lot of 422 and h.265 material but it seems to work better for even my h.264 420 proxies.

Howard-Vigorita wrote on 12/31/2022, 3:29 PM

I originally put an Nvidia 1660ti along side my 6900xt in the 11900k system due to the dismal hevc decoding performance of its uhd750 compared to my older 9900k. When the single-fan ASRock Arc a380 came out, I swapped it for the Nvidia and got faster decoding and more formats. Swapped that for the Intel Arc a770 later and performance went up some more with overclocking. Without overclocking, performance of my a770 and a380 are almost the same for decoding and qsv rendering. The a380 is now in my 9900k system replacing its uhd630.