Is Vegasaur still being developed?

bitman wrote on 10/7/2022, 8:42 AM

It has been almost 2 years since the last release of Vegasaur toolkit; with updates for Vegas 18. In the meantime, we had Vegas 19 and 20, and no updates, new version nor new features.

Is it dead? I want to upgrade, but I do not want to invest in a dead product with no future.

Last changed by bitman

APPS: VIDEO: VP 365 (21 - build 315), VP 365 20, VP 19 post (latest build -651), (uninstalled VP 12,13,14,15,16 Suite,17, VP18 post), Vegasaur, a lot of NEWBLUE plugins, Mercalli 6.0, Respeedr, Vasco Da Gamma 16 HDpro XXL, Boris Continuum 2024, Davinci Resolve Studio 18, SOUND: RX 10 advanced Audio Editor, Sound Forge Pro 17, Spectral Layers Pro 10, Audacity, FOTO: Zoner, DXO, Luminar, Topaz...

• CPU: i9-13900K (upgraded my former CPU i9-12900K), Air Cooler: Noctua NH-D15s
  • RAM: DDR5 Corsair 64GB (5600-40 Vengeance)
  • Graphics card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3090 TUF OC GAMING (24GB) 
  • Monitor: LG 38 inch ultra-wide (21x9) - Resolution: 3840x1600
  • C-drive: Corsair MP600 PRO XT NVMe SSD 4TB (PCIe Gen. 4)
  • Video drives: Samsung NVMe SSD 2TB (980 pro and 970 EVO plus) each 2TB
  • Mass Data storage & Backup: WD gold 6TB + WD Yellow 4TB
  • MOBO: Gigabyte Z690 AORUS MASTER
  • PSU: Corsair HX1500i, Case: Fractal Design Define 7 (PCGH edition)
  • Misc.: Logitech G915, Evoluent Vertical Mouse, shuttlePROv2

Comments

VEGASDerek wrote on 10/7/2022, 8:52 AM

Good question. @altarvic and @alestemple?

jetdv wrote on 10/7/2022, 9:01 AM

@bitman, one thing to consider is that these tools are fully function with no real updates needed. Naturally, adding new features would cause an upgrade to be needed. My tool, Excalibur, is sort of in the same situation. It's been about 2 years since the last update was released and the bigger update was 4 years before that when support was added for VEGAS Pro 14 - 20 (and that was mainly changing from "Sony" to "ScriptPortal".) It's a very robust system already and simply continues to work. Of course, I do test mine in all newer versions as they are released.

RogerS wrote on 10/7/2022, 9:14 AM

It could use an update to allow the new text background feature to be synced across text events.

The creator puts out new templates so I think there are signs of life.

Last changed by RogerS on 10/7/2022, 10:26 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

Custom PC (2022) Intel i5-13600K with UHD 770 iGPU with latest driver, MSI z690 Tomahawk motherboard, 64GB Corsair DDR5 5200 ram, NVIDIA 2080 Super (8GB) with latest studio driver, 2TB Hynix P41 SSD, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit

Dell XPS 15 laptop (2017) 32GB ram, NVIDIA 1050 (4GB) with latest studio driver, Intel i7-7700HQ with Intel 630 iGPU (latest available driver), dual internal SSD (1TB; 1TB), Windows 10 64 bit

VEGAS Pro 19.651
VEGAS Pro 20.411
VEGAS Pro 21.208

Try the
VEGAS 4K "sample project" benchmark (works with VP 16+): https://forms.gle/ypyrrbUghEiaf2aC7
VEGAS Pro 20 "Ad" benchmark (works with VP 20+): https://forms.gle/eErJTR87K2bbJc4Q7

DMT3 wrote on 10/7/2022, 10:04 AM

I think that is becoming an issue with a lot of software. How many more things can you add to a video editor or plugin if it works. I used to use Quicken accounting software, and they would come out with a new version each year, but why? It added and subtracted. Now banks offer the same services so I stopped using it.

pierre-k wrote on 10/7/2022, 10:47 AM

Maybe it's time for the team to buy Vegasaur and implement all the great features from it permanently into Vegas. For example, working with subtitles and exporting them to srt in Vegas is still missing. I also miss the internal vegasaur tweener.

Former user wrote on 10/8/2022, 6:40 AM

In of Sony Vegas 8 - 11, Vegasaur was in a very active development, which was due to the rapid development of Vegas Pro at that time.
Vegas Pro 12 - 20. Vegas is in the process of slow development, with almost no major changes. Vegas users also flow to Premiere, FCP, Resolve and Edius, so the development of Vegasaur plug-ins is also slow even stagnant.

Steve_Rhoden wrote on 10/8/2022, 6:20 PM

@Former user You have your facts totally twisted !

Sony Vegas 8 - 11, there was development yes, but not rapid. And coming unto Vegas 13, Sony halted Vegas, literally killing it.... It was Magix who took the helm from there, breathing new life into the software. Rapidly saving and replenishing Vegas's lifeblood and having it being in fast active development from there on, until right now.

The development team is highly dedicated in the continued development and advancement of Vegas Pro, and is on the ball daily getting meaningful things done.

Grazie wrote on 10/9/2022, 1:03 AM

@Former user You have your facts totally twisted !

It was Magix who took the helm from there, breathing new life into the software. Rapidly saving and replenishing Vegas's lifeblood and having it being in fast active development from there on, until right now.

@Steve_Rhoden - Once the SONY shackles were removed, the VegasSoftware Development Team shook off the restraints of the previous owner, buckled down and under much duress and succeeded in retaining the original K.I.S.S. attitude, 1999>2000 impetuous to make, sustain and deliver an organic interface for Users to Create their narratives, with the software keeping out of their faces.

The development team is highly dedicated in the continued development and advancement of Vegas Pro, and is on the ball daily getting meaningful things done.

@Steve_Rhoden - Right On!

In of Sony Vegas 8 - 11, Vegasaur was in a very active development, which was due to the rapid development of Vegas Pro at that time.

@Former user - And many others were fortunate to grip onto the “shirt-tails” of success.

Vegas Pro 12 - 20. Vegas is in the process of slow development, with almost no major changes.

@Former user - Yup, during that tough period of consolidation and retrenchment our Team-Vegas hung on in there, gaining the hard yardage and digging deep. It could have been very very different.

Vegas users also flow to Premiere, FCP, Resolve and Edius, so the development of Vegasaur plug-ins is also slow even stagnant.

@Former user - Numbers please? Evidence-based results? And now, the early adopters to making Videos clambering for VP! But here’s the crucial illogic I take exception to, why do you think that third party devs having pulled up stumps and walked off of the field of play, when serious third party players haven’t? Big hitters like BORIS, NewBlue, NEAT Video, ProDad, TWIXTOR and others have developed front ends that still work within VegasPro and continue to be developed with their Partners at VegasPro Software?

Great thread, if only to allow the passionate, to voice their opinions. And yes, that’s the other “thing”: It’s the passion for this remarkable, developing and User-Driven software that sustains its Customers and drives the engineers forward. VegasPro20? Watch out….. 😉

Reyfox wrote on 10/9/2022, 12:01 PM

I'm "new" here compared to the Sony Vegas users. I lurked for long time watching and reading. I started with VP14 Edit. And to say there was slow development and no major changes is terribly wrong. I guess the color grading panel is useless and not of any importance to name just one massive improvement.

People come and go. People in Premiere are moving to other software. Are you going to say that there is no development there? Final Cut Pro, once the darling of the editing industry has taken a back seat to others. Guessing Media Composer in losing some editors is in the same boat as Vegas.

I am quite happy with Vegas. It's not perfect, but neither are any of the others. And it is amazing what the developers have done with the resources they have. Absolutely amazing!

Grazie wrote on 10/9/2022, 12:09 PM

I am quite happy with Vegas. It's not perfect, but neither are any of the others. And it is amazing what the developers have done with the resources they have. Absolutely amazing!

@Reyfox - +1000

DMT3 wrote on 10/9/2022, 12:14 PM

I have used Vegas since Sonic Foundry days as well as many other NLEs (Avid, Final Cut, Premiere) and find Vegas is the most intuitive and powerful of them all. Vegasaur is a nice addition and I hope he can continue adding features.

Grazie wrote on 10/9/2022, 10:59 PM

I have used Vegas since Sonic Foundry days as well as many other NLEs (Avid, Final Cut, Premiere) and find Vegas is the most intuitive and powerful of them all.

@DMT3 - Exactly.

Hulk wrote on 10/10/2022, 9:20 AM

I think that is becoming an issue with a lot of software. How many more things can you add to a video editor or plugin if it works. I used to use Quicken accounting software, and they would come out with a new version each year, but why? It added and subtracted. Now banks offer the same services so I stopped using it.

Try not to laugh. I'm using "Quicken99" currently. It works.

DMT3 wrote on 10/10/2022, 9:30 AM

@Hulk I think I was using that version as well until last year and finally just decided the let the bank keep track.

rraud wrote on 10/10/2022, 9:59 AM

Try not to laugh. I'm using "Quicken99" currently. It works.

Quicken 2001 here... For fun, and 'a blast form the past', I recently installed Sound Forge 4.5 and that worked too. The toolbar icon were colorful, unlike the bleak monotone globs today

Hulk wrote on 10/10/2022, 10:00 AM

@Hulk I think I was using that version as well until last year and finally just decided the let the bank keep track.

I keep waiting for an OS upgrade where it simply won't run. I recently upgraded to Windows 11 and wouldn't you know it? Those 12 floppies (which are now stored in folders number 1-12) still installed and the program runs in an operating system and on hardware that the programmers of that software would never have believed would exist! I run a part-time business (more and more part time every year actually) off of it and I'm just used to pulling out the data at the end of the year when it comes time to file the partnership tax return.

But back to the thread... yes, by version 15.. or 20 how much is left to add other than support for new file formats? I remember when office apps stopped being something I'd even think about upgrading from a feature perspective like 25 years ago. Same with my DAW (Presonus Studio One still on V4). I upgrade VP primarily in hopes of better performance and stability and file support.

I have a feeling this is why software companies are really pushing for subscription services.

DMT3 wrote on 10/10/2022, 11:01 AM

I have a feeling this is why software companies are really pushing for subscription services.

For sure. I was looking at a Audio Plug-in the other day that was subscription. I guess some people will be willing to do that. I still buy CDs because I like as physical a copy of something as I can get. I don't like things in the "cloud" or that only exist until my credit card gives out.

Reyfox wrote on 10/10/2022, 12:06 PM

I too upgrade Vegas for performance improvements more than anything else. Yes, new features are what sells, but for me, how much more can be added. Oh... a real title editor for one.

I am still using Office 2003 with extensions to allow docx and powerpoint from more current versions to work.

Former user wrote on 10/14/2022, 5:16 PM

@Grazie Speaking to your earlier challenge to @Former user about popularity of Vegas, some demographics. This one mentions Vegas, which is cool. I bounce between DaVinci Resolve and Vegas, both are great tools. DaVinci Resolve works great on Linux but gives me trouble on Windows. Vegas works mostly fine on Windows and allows me to work with plugins, something lacking in Linux. I like Vegas, though it is clunky in areas like adding certain kinds of effects. One of the best draws of Vegas is the emphasis on audio, which is important to me. I tried Lightworks, but I was trained in Adobe and am 'mouse-centric', the keyboard approach is awkward for me though it is probably more efficient. Adobe is too rich for my blood, and Avid makes my blood boil with the iLock crapware.

EricLNZ wrote on 10/14/2022, 5:57 PM

Hi guys we are getting very off topic. This thread is about "Is Vegasaur still being developed?", not a discussion on NLEs.

There was a post earlier on which appeared to indicate the Vegasaur developer didn't have time for it due to other commitments but the post has disappeared?

Steve_Rhoden wrote on 10/14/2022, 7:13 PM

Vegasaur i believe, is not done with development one bit. The developer from what i hear is a bit busy handling other stuff etc at the moment, and is often an active participant in this forum. So i believe its just a matter of time before we see him commenting here again along with adding more features and refinement to Vegasaur...... It's such an impressive and essential tool in enhancing Vegas, i doubt it will just fade away into the wind, lol.

fr0sty wrote on 10/14/2022, 8:53 PM

Vegas Pro 12 - 20. Vegas is in the process of slow development, with almost no major changes

The biggest changes VEGAS has ever seen happened during this time...

Online Collaboration

New VST Engine and VST3 Support

Text to Speech & Speech to Text

AI Upscale/Crop/Colorize/Style Transfer/Scene Detection

VEGAS Effects

VEGAS Image

Motion Tracking

Image Stabilization

Color Grading (that's about to get even better)

GPU Rendering

GPU Decoding

Overhauling Dynamic RAM Preview

RAW Format Support

ProRes Support

8k Support

360 video support

Effect controls overlaid on the preview monitor (with a long requested update that improves this dramatically coming in the near future)

Just to name a few... Going back to VEGAS 12 is like going to the stone age trying to work on a modern project, especially something graphics and effects heavy like a music video.

If you're gonna bash VEGAS, at least try to be accurate about it.

Last changed by fr0sty on 10/14/2022, 9:00 PM, changed a total of 6 times.

Systems:

Desktop

AMD Ryzen 7 1800x 8 core 16 thread at stock speed

64GB 3000mhz DDR4

Geforce RTX 3090

Windows 10

Laptop:

ASUS Zenbook Pro Duo 32GB (9980HK CPU, RTX 2060 GPU, dual 4K touch screens, main one OLED HDR)

walter-i. wrote on 10/17/2022, 5:05 AM

I got an email today with the offer for a new template.
Vegasaur is alive!
https://vegasaur.com/MosaicPhotoReveal?utm_source=Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=MosaicPhotoReveal

Reyfox wrote on 10/17/2022, 5:14 AM

@walter-i. so did I.