Comments

Yosh wrote on 2/15/2016, 6:23 PM
I started out at Video Factory 1 also, that was back in 2000, for $49.99 I believe. It was such awesome piece of software! I've tried various other editing programs but always returned to Sony Vegas, and have upgraded it pretty much at every new version.

I also like owning the software, as opposed to "renting" it like Adobe.
cinefilm wrote on 2/16/2016, 7:06 PM
Nab is coming up, any news dear Sony on Vegas 14.

I tried out catalyst and didn't see the following very important standard functions:

-VST plugin support
-Full automation for both video and audio FX
-Audio mixer
-5.1 mixing and bussing
-5.1 plugin support on master bus (Vegas and Catalyst)
-Video Preview output to third monitor
-All audio and video format support including RED support
-FX Packages
-Group Tracks
-External Audio Editor (right click, edit and update)

There's probably many more not in catalyst vs vegas pro

TeetimeNC wrote on 2/17/2016, 9:34 AM
There's probably many more not in catalyst vs vegas pro

Scripting which enables 3rd party addons like Vegasaur.

Jerry
http://www.takeonesolutions.com
Photography • Video
Mindmatter wrote on 2/17/2016, 10:23 AM
The preview in Catalyst is just as bad as in Vegas. tried some clips with color fast and some titling, got black frames and jumps ( as opposed to stuttering and lag in Vegas ). there seems to be no significant interction with the GPU to speed up and free resources for the preview.
My next NLE alongside Vegas is Edius 8. Incredible preview speed and quality,and you can actually stack GPUs.

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 12x 3.7 GHz
32 GB DDR4-3200 MHz (2x16GB), Dual-Channel
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070, 8GB GDDR6, HDMI, DP, studio drivers
ASUS PRIME B550M-K, AMD B550, AM4, mATX
7.1 (8-chanel) Surround-Sound, Digital Audio, onboard
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 250GB, NVMe M.2 PCIe x4 SSD
be quiet! System Power 9 700W CM, 80+ Bronze, modular
2x WD red 6TB
2x Samsung 2TB SSD

astar wrote on 2/17/2016, 2:02 PM
Resolve seems to be a better replacement to Vegas/Catalyst, and your color is done in Resolve.

Resolve also implements a later version of OpenCL where you can stack up GPUs. I believe, but cannot confirm it, that Vegas is only using like OpenCL 1.0 or 1.1 features. Where 1.2+ is where you get multiple GPUs. I might be off on the exact versions as it has been awhile since I read the specs.

My last trial of Catalyst was similar to Cinefilm's, where there seemed to be a lack of support for major formats support like:

RED / Redcode,

ALEXA RAW - .ARI

DPX 12-bit from a Sony F35

DPX 10-bit exported from Catalyst, no preview, meaning that Catalyst should recognize an image sequence by numbers and show an icon representational of combine images being previewed.

EXR & TIFF Sequence - See 10-bit DPX

.DNG Raw - MagicLantern RAW

Panasonic P2

HEVC / H.265 / VP9-webm

.MOV supported formats like DNxHD and ProRes

DNxHD.mxf

Cineform.avi

Mind you all most of those formats, with the exception of .ARI and HEVC, either open in Vegas, or the machine tested can view the formats. So there is clearly some lack in Catalyst or the integration with Windows is not done well.

XAVC-I, HDCAM-SR444 is well supported, and samples from the F55 RAW are supported too, so its not just about professional formats are not supported.

kplo wrote on 2/17/2016, 2:25 PM
Vegas has relied on the VFW model forever. I'm sure that's what was meant by "technically outdated". I've been a user since version 3. I now use 10, the last version that runs on WinXP. When I build my new Win7Pro box, I'll go to v12 or 13.
How long has it been since other NLEs went the Direct Show route?
That's not a rhetorical question...I'd really like to know.
Ken
kplo wrote on 2/17/2016, 2:43 PM
Thanks JR. I posted before I read your excellent explanation from last years thread post.
Ken
HVH Films wrote on 4/8/2016, 10:42 AM
Oups Sony ... little leak :)

HE'S COMING !!!!

Type in Google :
SVDVDS14099ESD

http://snpi.dell.com/snp/images/products/large/en-us~A8766526/A8766526.jpg

VMP wrote on 4/8/2016, 12:17 PM
That is big news :-)

Here all the versions are mentioned: http://www.synnex.com/vendors/SONY_CREATIVE_SOFTWARE_INC.html

http://www.kernelsoftware.com/products/catalog/sony.html

(Found it via Google it's updated on 4 April 2016)

How come the Dell website is featuring this?

https://www.google.com/search?q=accessories.us.dell.com

Ah I see they are selling the other versions too.

Cool it says 'Special Effects' on the cover, maybe After effects like features?
Or maybe its the integrated Hit film option.

So we might get a newsletter soon!

How did you find out HVH Films?

No Acid pro 8 though :-(

VMP
john_dennis wrote on 4/8/2016, 12:23 PM
I hope I'm wrong, but doing artwork and requesting product numbers for "[I]future products[/I]" could be routine tasks that happen on a schedule separate from writing code, integration testing, release management and on and on. The cost of these tasks could easily be written off if the future product was indeed canceled.

I'll be delighted when I receive the upgrade email from SCS.
Grazie wrote on 4/8/2016, 12:39 PM
It all looks well dodgy!

G
Terje wrote on 4/17/2016, 5:04 PM
https://hitfilm.com/forum/discussion/40020/sony-vegas-pro-14-it-might-actually-happen

If this is true, and it is cross platform as is indicated elsewhere, SCS has done what they needed to do. Re-write Vegas from scratch. My bet would be that the Catalyst project has been an (economically) abject failure, and they are trying a hail Mary pass, perhaps with some of the stuff they have done in Catalyst.

If this is true, it is all good news, and I'd revisit Vegas instantly. The work flow can not be beat, and if the innards are upgraded to a post 2005 world, that would make Vegas an option again. I'd love that. Premiere is great (comparatively) and it actually works, an actually working version of Vegas would be fantastic.
PeterDuke wrote on 4/17/2016, 8:10 PM
If Vegas gets a rewrite, don't be surprised if some things get broken, at least for a while. Some things may never get fixed if deemed low priority.
Tim L wrote on 4/17/2016, 9:36 PM
A rewrite seems very optimistic, but at least a new version coming out indicates Vegas is still alive (or at the very least, still on life support). It could be just another normal update, with no big changes.

Anyway, I would expect an announcement of some kind at NAB. Any news about Vegas Pro 14 would be good news, right?

Actually, based on info I read here, I made the last few posts in that thread on hitfilm.com, where I found Google's "cached" copies of the web pages from Dell that have since been taken down. (I also noticed one of my cached links was now linking to a laptop battery??? I fixed that.)

Anyway, search Google for "sony vegas pro 14 dell", and in one of the Google hits, on the second line (green text) click the drop down arrow and select "cached". You'll find Vegas Pro 14 links all over the web, but Dell.com would seem to carry the most legitimacy.

So a little teaser from one of those cached web pages for Vegas Pro 14 edit:
[I]
Overview

Vegas Pro 14 Edit delivers pure Vegas Pro core technology in a cost-effective package. New features include smart restoration and upscale features, interoperability with HitFilm 4 Pro, new plug-ins by Sony, and NewBlueFX, new hardware support for High DPI monitors, Blackmagic, AJA SDI devices and RED cameras, and application wide performance improvements. Vegas Pro 14 Edit offers more formats, supports more workflows, and provides the tools for more creative control than ever before.

Manufacturer Part# : SVPE14099ESD
Dell Part# : A8766525
[/I]

Please... if this little teaser doesn't provide feature "X" that you've been begging for, or doesn't mention fixing feature "Y" that has been broken for ages, lets not get agitated and angry here. Let's wait patiently for an official announcement. :-)

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:CK6MRoRGPdEJ:accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx%3Fc%3Dus%26l%3Den%26s%3Ddfh%26cs%3D22%26sku%3DA8766525+&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us
VMP wrote on 4/17/2016, 9:43 PM

Thanks for the post Tim, didn't think of the cach function!

VMP

Glenn Thomas wrote on 4/17/2016, 10:13 PM
Sounds promising. Although hasn't NAB already been running since Saturday? So if there was to be an announcement, surely it would have already happened by now?
Tim L wrote on 4/17/2016, 10:45 PM
Man, I am WAY out of my league here -- I am just a hobbyist -- but it appears that the NAB weekend stuff is mainly conferences, and the "trade show" part of NAB starts on Monday the 18th.

http://www.nabshow.com/attend/schedule-at-a-glance

Here on the Sony Creative Software forums, if you click on "About Us" (at the upper right, in the black bar) and then click "Events", they list NAB as April 18 - 21.

NAB Show
Apr. 18-21, 2016
Las Vegas Convention Center
Las Vegas, Nevada USA
http://www.nabshow.com/
Glenn Thomas wrote on 4/17/2016, 11:04 PM
Ahh yes, that makes sense. I noticed a new Sony Pro division video posted today about their newest camera releases.
Geoff_Wood wrote on 4/18/2016, 2:42 AM
"Las Vegas"

Ha ha ;-|

geoff
Paul Anderegg wrote on 6/21/2016, 3:24 PM
Just got an email today for Vegas 14, with a picture.

Hi Paul,

VEGAS Pro is entering into a brand new era!

Since the acquisition of VEGAS Pro and other tools from Sony Creative Software, our entire development team in Madison, Wisconsin is working tirelessly to take video editing with VEGAS Pro to the next level.

This means that at the end of September 2016, you can look forward to the most advanced version of VEGAS Pro yet!

Here's a sneak peek of some of the highlights and new features in the upcoming version:

» HEVC/H.265 support
» 4K Smart Upscaling
» Native ProRes support
» and much more!

Stay tuned for more updates and get ready for the all new VEGAS Pro 14.

Sincerely,

Klaus Schmidt
CEO MAGIX Software GmbH