Comments

monoparadox wrote on 9/15/2015, 3:39 PM
You didn't miss anything. However, the press release says openFX is coming to Catalyst. I'm sure Sony Creative is in a race to hold onto its Vegas base and ramp up the attractiveness of Catalyst. Catalyst does have potential if you're moving to 4k. For all the goofing around we do in Vegas to tap the full gamut of 4k, Catalyst just has it.

My guess is another factor pushing Catalyst is pressure from Sony corporate to make Sony Creative more relevant to Sony hardware direction. We all witnessed years of the left hand not knowing what the right is doing. Sony is being forced to justify every division in the competitive world we're in. This also means being agnostic to operating systems. Vegas is the past. Catalyst is the future.

--tom
Julius_ wrote on 9/15/2015, 3:44 PM
Guys...let's pass the hat around and offer Sony a buy-out.

We'll get a few developers,support & some QA scripts going. We'll network our resources

Who's in?

(I use to work at an IT company mostly in the support and QA area (managerial level)

Tech Diver wrote on 9/15/2015, 3:47 PM
Yes, it is unfortunate that Vegas has reached maturity. One option is to continue using VP13 as is, as long as possible (I did that with Adobe CS6). Or, this can be an opportunity to evaluate other products whether they come from Sony or other developers.

I personally do not see Catalyst Edit as a fully functioning replacement for Vegas at this time. Perhaps a few years from now that will change. I will be looking at editors and compositors that are more "popular" in the industry. That is, they have a large customer base and a good number of third-party plugin providers. Another selection criterion of mine is that they should not be subscription-based.

Peter
Jedman wrote on 9/15/2015, 5:27 PM
wow, if it proves true and it is no more I will be sad.
I opened up a trial of Vegas when I bought a handy cam and didnt know what a frame rate was.
It kind of feels like hearing your first girlfriend is terminal :(

But in saying that, I haven't even opened Vegas for a few months.
Ive dabbled for a while in Final Cut doing smaller jobs, but now I feel there isnt any size job that wouldn't be easier, faster and less frustrating in FCX than Vegas.

I know these comments may upset some people, not trying to start arguments, just maybe trying to say, If you are wondering what to try next, try the Dark Side lol

All the best guys.
astar wrote on 9/15/2015, 6:10 PM
I hate to say the A word in this forum, but AVID would probably be the best be to switch to. As AVID is pretty much the same interface forever, and is still the editor of choice for larger productions. If you look at who AVID interviews on their site compared to the other, you can see what the pros choose.

I will try Cat Edit, but I am thinking that will not be as good as others. Resolve has potential due to the non re-occurring fees.

jwcarney wrote on 9/15/2015, 6:43 PM
One of the main reasons I like Vegas Pro are the built in audio tools. Is surround sound editing available in Catalyst? Will it be?
Catalyst capture and edit seem more like on site tools rather than NLE replacement. Nothing wrong with that, but they are not the only game in town.
Don't expect too much from Sony Creative Software, they've ignored Acid Pro users for years.
VMP wrote on 9/15/2015, 7:02 PM
I'll just wait untill I hear something from SCS,
or maybe not hear anything from SCS about Vegas for some years like Acid Pro.

Then I can give a list of all the things that is missing in Catalyst.

If Vegas is no longer continued, then I will have to dedicate a PC just for Vegas and keep the compatible OS running just for Vegas.

VMP

farss wrote on 9/15/2015, 7:09 PM
[I]"One of the main reasons I like Vegas Pro are the built in audio tools."[/I]

Same here and I've made as much coin using Vegas for audio only jobs as video.

I do wonder what's bought this on though. Was it finally realised that the core architecture of Vegas has issue that couldn't be resolved without a complete redesign?

If not, if the architecture is still viable maybe what SCS should be doing is offering a user pays scheme. As already noted there's not much more in the way of features that can be crammed into Vegas, all we really need is ongoing support and bug fixes. I'd gladly pay say USD100 P.A. for that.

Bob.
VMP wrote on 9/15/2015, 7:17 PM
Vegas and Acid Pro would be the best Open source AV editor software!

If SCS is not going to do anything with it anymore, then let it evolve via others, give the code out.

Here is still hoping SCS hasn't given up.

VMP
winrockpost wrote on 9/15/2015, 7:24 PM
Lots of agreement it is gone....no big deal, but all from one dude, Could be right could be wrong,,, gut says right. Will still serve me fine for lots of projects the way it is...and slowly fade away....if it is fading away
DGates wrote on 9/15/2015, 9:15 PM
Relax relax relax. I'm beta testing Vegas 14 as we speak. I've got a number of 8K clips on the timeline and it's as smooth as warm butter.
Marc S wrote on 9/15/2015, 11:08 PM
Bummer but I'm not surprised either. I'm just finishing up a 2 month corporate edit where I had to use Premiere CS6 to get it done because Vegas is so unstable on large projects with Sony XDCAM files (go figure). It it were not for the Cloud model I'd already have switched over to Premiere full time. Yes Vegas is great and fluid in many ways but it's lived on it's past glory for too long.

I guess Catalyst may have some future but I still can't get Browse to convert my X70 clips to XDCam reliably even with the latest version so I don't have much confidence in it. I'm going to keep an eye on Resolve and if I must I guess I could join the slave cloud for a while.
astar wrote on 9/16/2015, 12:12 AM
I will say that in support of Vegas 14, I posted several technical questions to Vegas Support in the past few weeks. The responses I received claimed the support department was not privileged to development issues like I was requesting info on. But the support response also included:

"If you would like to work more closely with the Development team, you may want to apply to join our Beta program. You can do that here: (signup page for the beta testing)"

Why would support push a Vegas direct development support inquires at the beta test page, if the show was canceled? This is much in line with the user above stating that he is testing the next beta of Vegas.

@DGates - however, I question 8K clips smooth as butter on an FX-9000 series AMD chipset with a 270x. :/

@ Marc. Your instability might be in your own system build. I have edited 60-120 min projects with 500+ events on a timeline, and I find Vegas as stable there, as it is with short timelines. I am not saying Vegas has never crashed in day to day work, but never in a limiting factor. I work in XDCAM and HDCAM as well. My guess your NV Card is creating much of your instability, but there are so many factors it could be.

Here is a 67min Doc with 500+ events and 19 tracks.

NickHope wrote on 9/16/2015, 1:43 AM
@astar - I think DGates forgot the ;) symbol

The text inviting you to the beta test application is probably just in their standard reply template. And from the list of products in that form that you can request to beta test, it looks like years since it was updated.
Marc S wrote on 9/16/2015, 1:57 AM
Here's the problem with your theory. I've had stability issues on both my main system and a new HP Zbook laptop but Premiere runs on both of them with few issues. I'm not saying I can't edit in Vegas but but it is not anywhere close to as stable with the media I feed it as Premiere is on the same two systems.

So yeah maybe it's my Nvidea 570 or my Nvidea Quadra or some of the media I'm using but the fact is Premiere runs all of it better than Vegas. Vegas used to be rock solid for me (started with version 3) but the past four versions have been troublesome.

I don't mean to be rude but I'm tired of hearing "Vegas works for me with now problem it must your system" when the reality is we all edit with different media, use different features like thumbnails media bins etc.

By the way my current project is 1650+ files.
PeterDuke wrote on 9/16/2015, 1:58 AM
DGates, have you signed a nondisclosure agreement, and if so, haven't you just broken it?

If you have not signed one, how did you come by the beta product?

Or as Nick suggests, have you have forgotten the :) ?
ushere wrote on 9/16/2015, 1:58 AM
*1 farss (bob) - all we really need is ongoing support and bug fixes. I'd gladly pay say USD100 P.A.

i've had a play with the trial cat components and as yet they're in no way any match for vegas. of course, they're still in development so it's just the beginning of the story, what the actual plot is is pretty vague, lots of hype about 4k, inter-operability, blah, blah, blah. but very little detail, such as scripting, plugins (ofx are incorporated) but both of these unique vegas abilities are partly what makes us love vegas - editors who need / want certain actions can create them, and even sell them to other editors. i don't see anything like that happening in cat.

as it is i'm pushing 67 and for my needs i could probably get away with movie maker 2 (well, maybe not ;-)) so vegas 13 will probably see my 'professional' career out.

i will however have a more extensive play with resolve* and most certainly watch very closely the development of catalyst....

*so far i've been ambivalent about resolve - it has great potential, but (for me anyway) a counter-intuitive workflow. very mac-minded. my main reason for even looking at it in the first place is it's free - and if i do have to look elsewhere i may well be no longer earning the lolly to justify spending $100's on what could well be a hobby.
Mindmatter wrote on 9/16/2015, 8:19 AM
I'd be most unhappy if this were true...but in a worst case scenario, my new NLE of choice would be Grass Valley Edius . Seems very solid, accepts numerous different codecs on the timeline, is open to many third party plugs such a New Blue etc, is 4k capable, looks intuitive and costs about $600 I think.

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 12x 3.7 GHz
32 GB DDR4-3200 MHz (2x16GB), Dual-Channel
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070, 8GB GDDR6, HDMI, DP, studio drivers
ASUS PRIME B550M-K, AMD B550, AM4, mATX
7.1 (8-chanel) Surround-Sound, Digital Audio, onboard
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 250GB, NVMe M.2 PCIe x4 SSD
be quiet! System Power 9 700W CM, 80+ Bronze, modular
2x WD red 6TB
2x Samsung 2TB SSD

DeadRadioStar wrote on 9/16/2015, 9:39 AM
IF this is NOT true, then somebody from Sony should really pop in here pronto, because otherwise a lot of small software houses stand to lose a lot of money .... for example, would anyone be inclined to buy new plugins or upgraded versions of tools for Vegas if it's end-of-life?

Maybe the 3rd-party software guys need to get on the phone to Sony, just to ask if, you know, now might be a good time for them to consider a career change.
set wrote on 9/16/2015, 9:54 AM
I was just thinking the other possibility.... But, again this is just my own thought, probably it's about the BRAND: "VEGAS PRO"

We as direct users already know how Vegas Pro is like, and how we work here, and some of us really like the way it works, including me.
Now I really appreciate Sony Vegas Pro is, compared to other editors, it is EFFICIENT to me, very quick, simple, and you can still work even in a very limited spec, and felt that already when experimented Resolve 12 last week, here in Resolve, you are working in 10-bit color space, and the preview quality is always at 'BEST (FULL)'. Tough playback for my PC.

BUT, I know, I heard a lot on outside there, how people see Vegas Pro, what are their perception of our lovely editor, in short - "Amateurish".
I read somewhere (forgot where), even someone has the camera format incompatibility issue, and he report the problem to the camera maker. Their response? "Please use a real video editor, like ... (you already know the answer) ".

It's possible they try starting with something new and push that, rather than recoding the whole thing (or probably recoding is more expensive than making a whole new line?)

http://www.provideocoalition.com/what-makes-sony-vegas-pro-a-fit-for-your-workflow-or-post-production-environment - shared by Sony Softwares several times ago in their FB page.
Even they make a special question not found in another software reviews:
"What’s one of the big misconceptions people have about Sony Vegas?"

Set

Setiawan Kartawidjaja
Bandung, West Java, Indonesia (UTC+7 Time Area)

Personal FB | Personal IG | Personal YT Channel
Chungs Video FB | Chungs Video IG | Chungs Video YT Channel
Personal Portfolios YouTube Playlist
Pond5 page: My Stock Footage of Bandung city

System 5-2021:
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Video Card1: Intel UHD Graphics 630 (Driver 31.0.101.2127 (Feb 1 2024 Release date))
Video Card2: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GDDR6 (Driver Version 551.23 Studio Driver (Jan 24 2024 Release Date))
RAM: 32.0 GB
Drive OS: SSD 240GB
Drive Working: NVMe 1TB
Drive Storage: 4TB+2TB

System 2-2018:
ASUS ROG Strix Hero II GL504GM Gaming Laptop
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 8750H CPU @2.20GHz 2.21 GHz
Video Card 1: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630 (Driver 31.0.101.2111)
Video Card 2: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5 VRAM (Driver Version 537.58)
RAM: 16GB
Storage: M.2 NVMe PCIe 256GB SSD & 2.5" 5400rpm 1TB SSHD

* I don't work for VEGAS Creative Software Team. I'm just Voluntary Moderator in this forum.

wwjd wrote on 9/16/2015, 10:07 AM
DeadRadioStar...... ..... on nose.
ForumAdmin wrote on 9/16/2015, 3:45 PM
Sony Creative Software remains committed to Vegas Pro, our strong craft video editor, and continues to support the product. For Vegas Pro 13, we’ve released 4 updates so far, the most recent in June (build 453) which addressed some key camera support issues and is compatible with Windows 10.

As a policy, Sony Creative Software does not comment on future product plans, however we are actively assessing market and customer needs for future major and maintenance versions of Vegas Pro. If you have specific needs, we’d love to hear your detailed product suggestions.

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/support/suggestions

- The Sony Creative Software Team
OldSmoke wrote on 9/16/2015, 4:03 PM
While I appreciate that SCS finally had look at this thread, the statement means nothing. It does not confirm that there will be a new version but only speaks of the recent updates to the current version.

Proud owner of Sony Vegas Pro 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 & 13 and now Magix VP15&16.

System Spec.:
Motherboard: ASUS X299 Prime-A

Ram: G.Skill 4x8GB DDR4 2666 XMP

CPU: i7-9800x @ 4.6GHz (custom water cooling system)
GPU: 1x AMD Vega Pro Frontier Edition (water cooled)
Hard drives: System Samsung 970Pro NVME, AV-Projects 1TB (4x Intel P7600 512GB VROC), 4x 2.5" Hotswap bays, 1x 3.5" Hotswap Bay, 1x LG BluRay Burner

PSU: Corsair 1200W
Monitor: 2x Dell Ultrasharp U2713HM (2560x1440)

VidMus wrote on 9/16/2015, 5:03 PM
"As a policy, Sony Creative Software does not comment on future product plans, however we are actively assessing market and customer needs for future major and maintenance versions of Vegas Pro."

How many people here are still using older versions of Vegas Pro? What is the point of SCS spending time and money on development for Vegas 14 when there are those who will never upgrade or wait a very long time to do so?

If we really want SCS to continue developing Vegas Pro versions the WE NEED TO PUT OUR MONEY WHERE OUR MOUTHS ARE!!!

I started with 6 and have upgraded to every new version!

Bottom line is, if SCS does not get the funds (as in profits) then they will not continue developing Vegas Pro!

They are now assessing market and customer needs. In other words, they are now assessing if it is profitable to continue developing Vegas Pro.

Those who are still sitting on older versions need to upgrade and make Vegas Pro profitable for SCS.

Is Vegas Pro bug free? There are times I think a problem is from Vegas Pro and it turns out to be my system and/or something else. Sometimes it is actually Vegas. Still, it gets the job done in the way I want and need it to.

And that is what I have to say concerning this...