Comments

NormanPCN wrote on 9/16/2015, 5:20 PM
"While I appreciate that SCS finally had look at this thread, the statement means nothing."

Agreed. "actively assessing" means nothing. IMO, It would have been shocking if they said anything of commitment, even though non binding. Companies rarely do make such statements unless that product/update has already been scheduled and funded.

Vegas is really loaded with features already. I for one would just like bugs fixed but, IMO, SCS has been pretty clear about certain things never being fixed. Like the Titles and Text fonts problem.

Me, I am a hack nobody, not doing much but recently I am having a lot of fun with Hitfilm and am losing interest in Vegas.
winrockpost wrote on 9/16/2015, 5:24 PM
needs for future major and maintenance versions of Vegas Pro.

hmmm... maintenance versions, as in updates,, they are evaluating it..really!
I read that as
the fat lady has sung.

OldSmoke wrote on 9/16/2015, 5:36 PM
I fully agree with VidMus. I have all version since 7.

Proud owner of Sony Vegas Pro 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 & 13 and now Magix VP15&16.

System Spec.:
Motherboard: ASUS X299 Prime-A

Ram: G.Skill 4x8GB DDR4 2666 XMP

CPU: i7-9800x @ 4.6GHz (custom water cooling system)
GPU: 1x AMD Vega Pro Frontier Edition (water cooled)
Hard drives: System Samsung 970Pro NVME, AV-Projects 1TB (4x Intel P7600 512GB VROC), 4x 2.5" Hotswap bays, 1x 3.5" Hotswap Bay, 1x LG BluRay Burner

PSU: Corsair 1200W
Monitor: 2x Dell Ultrasharp U2713HM (2560x1440)

fldave wrote on 9/16/2015, 6:03 PM
So who uses Catalyst here? Ha, I barely know about it! Is it any good?

Technically, they were bound for years by VFW reliance, and got behind the curve.

I need to study what Catalyst is/does.
Geoff_Wood wrote on 9/16/2015, 6:17 PM
That's nothing. I'm Alpha-testing VegasPro19, and it is just so fluid editing 32K video with 200+ audio tracks at 768k/128-bit/111.7 .

geoff
VMP wrote on 9/16/2015, 6:32 PM

Thank you SCS for your reply.

As long as you keep supporting Vegas Pro 13 (also for future OS) I am happy.

And if Catalyst gets all Vegas Pro's functionality, then I'll wholeheartedly step over to Catalyst and continue working with that.

I just don't want to be forced to abandon Vegas, like I had to with Acid Pro, because it is not 64 bit compatible.

I have purchased each Vegas software from version 3 onwards.

Thanks again for your feedback,

VMP
Guy S. wrote on 9/16/2015, 6:37 PM
"... there will be no version 14"

I recently completed a 16 minute video on how to perform a service procedure. It was shot in real time as the tech performed the repair and described what he was doing. I had ~25 minutes of raw footage and condensed it down to 16 minutes.

It took 518 edits to do so.

To make each step as clear and concise as possible it was necessary to unlink the audio from the video, splice together phrases, words, and syllables into concise, cohesive thoughts, and then chop up the video to match. When watching the finished result even I can't see or hear most of the edits - it looks like a carefully planned and shot piece.

This was - by far - the most difficult technical edit I've ever done, and would not have been possible with Premiere Pro CC, Final Cut or, from what I've seen, Catalyst. For the type of work I do Vegas is, quite simply, irreplaceable. Yet it looks as though that is what I'll need to do.

Guy
set wrote on 9/16/2015, 6:39 PM
+1 VMP.

Setiawan Kartawidjaja
Bandung, West Java, Indonesia (UTC+7 Time Area)

Personal FB | Personal IG | Personal YT Channel
Chungs Video FB | Chungs Video IG | Chungs Video YT Channel
Personal Portfolios YouTube Playlist
Pond5 page: My Stock Footage of Bandung city

System 5-2021:
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Video Card1: Intel UHD Graphics 630 (Driver 31.0.101.2127 (Feb 1 2024 Release date))
Video Card2: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GDDR6 (Driver Version 551.23 Studio Driver (Jan 24 2024 Release Date))
RAM: 32.0 GB
Drive OS: SSD 240GB
Drive Working: NVMe 1TB
Drive Storage: 4TB+2TB

System 2-2018:
ASUS ROG Strix Hero II GL504GM Gaming Laptop
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 8750H CPU @2.20GHz 2.21 GHz
Video Card 1: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630 (Driver 31.0.101.2111)
Video Card 2: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5 VRAM (Driver Version 537.58)
RAM: 16GB
Storage: M.2 NVMe PCIe 256GB SSD & 2.5" 5400rpm 1TB SSHD

* I don't work for VEGAS Creative Software Team. I'm just Voluntary Moderator in this forum.

VMP wrote on 9/16/2015, 6:41 PM
Thanks Set.

VMP
set wrote on 9/16/2015, 6:58 PM
You're welcome VMP...
I will keep continue using Vegas Pro 13 no matter what the future is, while also learning HitFilm3 Express to expand the main workflow's capability. Then how to combine with Resolve12 as well.

Perhaps that's the best thing I can do for now.

Let's keep proud with what we have, because it's special, and different compared to other editors.

Set

Setiawan Kartawidjaja
Bandung, West Java, Indonesia (UTC+7 Time Area)

Personal FB | Personal IG | Personal YT Channel
Chungs Video FB | Chungs Video IG | Chungs Video YT Channel
Personal Portfolios YouTube Playlist
Pond5 page: My Stock Footage of Bandung city

System 5-2021:
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Video Card1: Intel UHD Graphics 630 (Driver 31.0.101.2127 (Feb 1 2024 Release date))
Video Card2: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GDDR6 (Driver Version 551.23 Studio Driver (Jan 24 2024 Release Date))
RAM: 32.0 GB
Drive OS: SSD 240GB
Drive Working: NVMe 1TB
Drive Storage: 4TB+2TB

System 2-2018:
ASUS ROG Strix Hero II GL504GM Gaming Laptop
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 8750H CPU @2.20GHz 2.21 GHz
Video Card 1: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630 (Driver 31.0.101.2111)
Video Card 2: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5 VRAM (Driver Version 537.58)
RAM: 16GB
Storage: M.2 NVMe PCIe 256GB SSD & 2.5" 5400rpm 1TB SSHD

* I don't work for VEGAS Creative Software Team. I'm just Voluntary Moderator in this forum.

fldave wrote on 9/16/2015, 7:28 PM
So the same people who brought us Vegas Pro are presumably working on the next best thing. I'm all for it. The most important thing to understand is "workflow" and incorporate that into the product.

Going out and buying V13 is great, but it won't influence product development. Those decisions have already been made.

I have V8 32bit installed and V12. V8 does some things I'm more familiar with and can do quicker than V12.

Starting from scratch is a good thing. I can't imagine Sony Creative abandoning video editing. What, are they closing down and retiring? I would think that's a stupid decision. And a clean product start opens up a lot more possibilities/headroom for the future.

I will wait patiently for the future they have envisioned.
winrockpost wrote on 9/16/2015, 7:38 PM
not me, I am not waiting on anyone....have to make a living and if Vegas continues great, if cat evolves great,13 is good and prefer it, but have other horses in the barn if it fades away.
Geoff_Wood wrote on 9/16/2015, 7:45 PM
Only if the "next best thing" has at least the full functionality, intuitiveness, and easy workflow of what we have now. Not just something prettified for current fads.

geoff
john_dennis wrote on 9/16/2015, 9:23 PM
In my lifetime, I have:

Written an Economics research paper with Word Star.

Used PROFS on IBM VM as a mail system.

Run a half dozen or more versions of AutoCAD.

Run many, many versions of Windows desktop and server operating systems, as well as OS/2.

Run seven versions of Vegas Pro.

I was looking for a Non Linear Editor when I found this one. If I ever need more than what is offered in Vegas Pro 13, I'll pick one from the products that are available on the market at that time. The only version that I got no use out of was version 11. I stayed with 10 during some of the early version 11 bugs, and then 12 came out.

If Sony Creative Software offers me Vegas Pro 14 for $149.00 in the future, I'll buy it just in case I happen to need any added functionality.

I didn't find the Catalyst products very interesting for my needs.

I've never made a cent editing video, but have spent quite a bit of time and money on the endeavor.
Terje wrote on 9/17/2015, 3:06 PM
Not a huge surprise. Ulead Media Studio all over again :-)
Thankful I have worked a bit with PP CC, no more miniature companies like SCS.
VidMus wrote on 9/17/2015, 4:53 PM
"Ulead Media Studio all over again..."

I went from Ulead MSP8 to Vegas Pro hoping to not have this problem anymore. Same problem as in people using 'old' versions and not upgrading. No money, not enough money, no more MSP8! And soon, no more Vegas Pro.

Oh Yea, they were going to continue support for MSP8. As in forum support by what was left of its users.

I moved on.

Sigh..

DGates wrote on 9/17/2015, 5:52 PM
I used to use Ulead's DVD Workshop 2. Great little program. So easy to use. Then they stopped putting out new versions altogether. Heck, I was even surprised when Adobe cut Encore from their offerings.

Trust me folks, no one turns away money if it's coming in. If Ulead and Sony weren't getting the sales with their NLE products, they can't continue to lose money by propping up the product year after year.
JohnnyRoy wrote on 9/17/2015, 6:16 PM
> "Not a huge surprise. Ulead Media Studio all over again :-)"

No, it's not Ulead Media Studio all over again. Ulead went out of business. Sony Creative Software is NOT going out of business. They have evaluated the aging technology that has brought them and their customers this far and have realized that it needs a total rewrite to take advantage of newer technologies like full GPU acceleration. That rewrite is Catalyst Edit and it's not going to be Vegas Pro 13.0 at Version 1.0 so it's going to take some time to get there. In the mean time Sony has said that they will continue to support Vegas Pro customers. You can't ask for more than that. (well... i guess you can ask for the world to stop changing but it's not going to)

So this is nothing like Ulead Media Studio. It's Sony asking it's customers to follow them in a new direction. For those of you who have not purchased Vegas Pro 13.0 or even 12.0 or 11.0 for that matter (I know I see posts from people using Vegas Pro 8, 9 and 10 all the time) it won't make any difference if there is going to be a Vegas Pro 14.0 or not because you weren't going to buy it anyway. That's why Sony is in this mess to begin with!

> "Thankful I have worked a bit with PP CC, no more miniature companies like SCS."

So you are saying that Adobe "Ransom-ware" is better than owning your own software from Sony? I'm sorry but I can't agree with that at all. I assume that you have purchased every version of Vegas Pro since you started using it and didn't miss any versions in between because THAT is what Adobe requires you to do! You pay every year whether you like it or not, whether it has new features that you need or not, and if it works or not. That is something i could NEVER agree to. So in my book Adobe Creative Cloud is NOT a viable alternative.

This is not a big deal. Final Cut Pro 7 was discontinued 4 years ago. There is still a large community of people in broadcast cutting with it every day. If it ain't broken... there's no need to replace it. Vegas Pro 13.0's current capabilities will probably last at least several years into the future with full support from Sony. That will give Sony plenty of time to catch up with Catalyst Edit. And because Catalyst Edit is multi-platform, Sony has expanded their customer base by including Mac editors. Considering that Windows PC sales are shrinking while Mac sales are growing, I'd say that Sony has made a very sound course correction to ensure their future relevance.

We should be happy that Sony (after 4 release with GPU support never quite working as expected) has made the hard choice to start over and architect an NLE using modern technologies. These are not easy decisions for software developers to make. You can't just put everything on hold and rewrite an application without upsetting some customers, but Sony is making a great decision at supporting their existing customer base while forging a future that is sustainable.

I applaud the Sony development team for making the hard choice and we should be happy that they weren't Ulead and they didn't go under, and they are continuing to service their customers by imagining the future and creating a new editing experience with the Catalyst Series. They already announce great improvements in Catalyst Edit at IBC (OFX plug-ins, etc.). I think great things are in store for Sony customers. I would not be concerned at all and I would NOT jump ship because of it. Now is when they need their loyal customer's support and understanding more than ever.

~jr
OldSmoke wrote on 9/17/2015, 6:47 PM
JR

I don't agree with you at all. I would if Catalyst Edit or CE in short would be free because the current version is missing 99% the features of Vegas Pro. And yes, I would buy VP 14 in a heart beat as I did with all Versions since 7; that was the time when I switched from Ulead MS Pro.

CE is not at all GPU oriented, it hardly uses any GPU for play back or rendering. It is single monitor on my system and I can't even color correct with it, at least I was not able to figure out how.

I just hope that the "new" direction isn't too little too late. I don't like Resolve but the free version 12 has a lot to offer compared to the relative pricy CE.

Proud owner of Sony Vegas Pro 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 & 13 and now Magix VP15&16.

System Spec.:
Motherboard: ASUS X299 Prime-A

Ram: G.Skill 4x8GB DDR4 2666 XMP

CPU: i7-9800x @ 4.6GHz (custom water cooling system)
GPU: 1x AMD Vega Pro Frontier Edition (water cooled)
Hard drives: System Samsung 970Pro NVME, AV-Projects 1TB (4x Intel P7600 512GB VROC), 4x 2.5" Hotswap bays, 1x 3.5" Hotswap Bay, 1x LG BluRay Burner

PSU: Corsair 1200W
Monitor: 2x Dell Ultrasharp U2713HM (2560x1440)

jwcarney wrote on 9/17/2015, 7:06 PM
As long as they continue to support and update 13 while improving Catalyst Edit, I'm OK with that. When the time comes to move over I hope Cat Edit has the features we enjoy now and even more stuff. Until then, won't be purchasing Catalyst suite. I do have the free stuff for Sony Camera users.
winrockpost wrote on 9/17/2015, 8:55 PM
JR, I did not interpret the post the same as you did "Vegas Pro 13.0's current capabilities will probably last at least several years into the future with full support from Sony" not what I read.
I agree 13 will last me a while but I read they are doing research to see if they will continue to support it.
And cat is in diapers, newborn not infant.

Of course you may be privy to way more info than I am.
JohnnyRoy wrote on 9/17/2015, 10:05 PM
> "I agree 13 will last me a while but I read they are doing research to see if they will continue to support it."

I believe they said that they would support it and the research is if they will enhance it. Of course, that's just my interpretation but it makes no business sense not to support Vegas Pro when you want to keep your customers around to buy the next thing you are working on. Even if Sony stopped supporting Vegas Pro, that was my point with mentioning Final Cut Pro 7. Apple killed it. It's dead! but it won't lie down. People continue to use it. People will continue to use Vegas Pro 13.0 too. The good news is that Microsoft said that Windows 10 is the last version. That means we don't have to worry about OS upgrades breaking all of your applications. So the only reason to stop using Vegas Pro 13.0 is if you need 6K or 8K support. Considering I'm still working in HD and no plans of buying a 4K camera, I'm not worried one bit. ;-)

> "Of course you may be privy to way more info than I am."

I am not privy to any information. As a plug-in developer, I had the occasion to work with Sony developers on problems with plug-ins and I've had lunch breaks with them at NAB so I got to know them. They love Vegas Pro. They love their customers. They are trying to find a way forward that's sustainable. I love that fact Catalyst Edit is on the Mac where I am now. They are smart people. I'm confident they will do the right thing. Do't forget Vegas Pro is a pretty old code base (13 years without a rewrite). I think Adobe has done 2 or 3 rewrites in the same amount of time. So I don't see this as all gloom and doom. It's more of a course correction.

~jr
Downunder wrote on 9/17/2015, 10:38 PM
OnYa JR I am with you.

There is so much doom and gloom on this tread... it is inevitable that SVP needs a complete rewrite, so lets all look forward to the next new "Vegas" whenever that happens. I would like to thank SCS for the ongoing support with the current version. so let's give them plenty of (more) product suggestions as they have asked for in this thread and let us all change our glass to be half full...Luv my Sony Vegas Pro.
monoparadox wrote on 9/17/2015, 11:50 PM
I will be interested to see the next version of Catalyst. The first version is rudimentary and would leave any serious editor with few tools. Will developers such as Boris be supporting it? What is the upgrade path for Vegas users? A satisfactory answer to that question will mean a lot--from both Sony and their partners.

Playing around with Catalyst with 4k shows promise. If Sony gets its act together it could go places. But it's obvious they have struck out on the Catalyst course sans Vegas users. The key question is: how much does Sony really want or need us?

--tom