OT: Apple Spin Doctoring Ad Wizards set straight

Cliff Etzel wrote on 4/28/2009, 4:57 AM
Even though the interview is from 2003, it has only reconfirmed my belief that the MAC platform is mostly hype and little in the way of substance.

Asking REAL questions - the company line and journalist sycophancy

I love the fact that Charlie White calls Apple mouthpieces to the mat when they claim to be the worlds first 64bit computer when in fact Boxx and AMD had already been on the market.

They say the Boxx isn't a desktop computer - referring to it as a "Workstation" because it uses a different graphics card.

umm - ok???

Cliff Etzel
Videographer : Producer : Web Designer
bluprojekt | SoloVJ blog

Comments

TheHappyFriar wrote on 4/28/2009, 7:03 AM
And before AMD SGI put out a 64-bit CPU "desktop" (labeled workstation, but like the others, small enough to be put on a desk. smaller then most current mini-towers) in the mid-late 90's.

Apple likes to play the name game for products, as shown. :/
Chienworks wrote on 4/28/2009, 7:13 AM
I have to say, Apple's recent TV ads are rather disgusting. They insult the intelligence of just about anyone who's ever used a PC.

I had an amusing chat recently in which a fellow support person and myself were bemoaning all the latest ... ahem ... enhancements in UI design which become more of an impediment to productivity than an assist. I said "of course, this trend in Windows software is nothing new. The MacOS reached impediment level 9 years ago." The other person responded, "true, once again the Mac leads the way."
farss wrote on 4/28/2009, 7:21 AM
"Workstation"?
Device you do "work" on.
Apple are correct, they've never built such a device.

Bob.
TheHappyFriar wrote on 4/28/2009, 7:53 AM
but the only reason you buy a computer is so it can do work for you. They're ALL workstations! :D

EDIT: most "work"stations have integrated GPU's. You don't need anything better then that to type...
apit34356 wrote on 4/28/2009, 9:27 AM
"Apple are correct, they've never built such a device." Bob's right ;-) That should bring CD out of the FCP closet............ ;-)
baysidebas wrote on 4/28/2009, 10:18 AM
Yeah, the Mac is sooooo intuitive. I remember my first encounter with one. Wasted time on looking for the on/off switch, then when I was finished I looked in vain for the floppy eject button. When I asked the owner how to eject, he said "Oh, just drag the icon to the trash can." I naively replied, "No, I don't want to erase the disc."...
Coursedesign wrote on 4/28/2009, 12:58 PM
It's a lot quicker and more intuitive to eject a flash drive in OS X than in Windows.

BOXX makes only work stations, but HP, Dell, and Apple make both personal computers and workstations.

If you think those are the same, just be glad you saved so much money.

jabloomf1230 wrote on 4/28/2009, 2:44 PM
At one point there were a variety of technical differences between Macs and PCs. But these days, the differences are pretty much minimal. The hardware guts of Apples are basically the same as PCs (Intel processors, same motherboards, video cards, etc.). The Mac user interface looks pretty much like Vista and even though the OS is just a knock-off of UNIX, the Mac has no lock on stability.

Even though Apple's commercials make it sound like using a PC is a never ending parade of tweaking, upgrading and maintenance, the vast majority of PC users never do any of this and are about as oblivious to the inner workings of the OS as Mac users are.

What you pay extra for with a Mac, is the top notch support. Is that worth it to you? Only you can decide.
fwtep wrote on 4/28/2009, 3:00 PM
Coursedesign wrote: It's a lot quicker and more intuitive to eject a flash drive in OS X than in Windows.

Um, how is it easier than just pulling it out? I've never had trouble with just pulling out a flash drive. (I have them set to disable the write cache, so the info is actually written when an action is taken rather than at some later point.)

Fred
farss wrote on 4/28/2009, 5:43 PM
The most basic thing that has made my blood boil with OSX is the Finder. I kind of thought maybe I just didn't get it.

Then a few months ago on a local Mac forum someone asked "What do you hate the most about OSX" and the Finder was at the top of the list and the complaint was the same as what I had an issue with, no tree view!
Apple need to address this, it perhaps explains an issue I see Mac users having, keeping track of where they've put files. I've made some heroic efforts over the years to get Mac users 'computer savvy' with thing like using a sensible file and folder naming convention but it's a hard slog. I think Apple create a lot of the problems with their "it's all so simple with a Mac' hype. The common outcome is their users ignore the fact that no computer is magic regardless of who made it and getting organised is a vital first step.

Bob.
Coursedesign wrote on 4/28/2009, 6:16 PM
The OS X Finder is about as much loved as Windows Explorer, but I use its tree view every day.

The old "floppy in the trash can" trick hasn't been the normal way since maybe 10 years ago. Today you just click the eject button next to the drive in the Finder, unless you just want to pull the drive out.

I think Finder is a little bit less clunky than Explorer, and with the Default Folder X plugin it is quite reasonable.

Vista has copied liberallly from OS X's UI, but not successfully imho.

DGates wrote on 4/28/2009, 6:18 PM
Is that all we have in this forum, whiny-ass Apple haters?

Seriously dudes, get a life.
rs170a wrote on 4/28/2009, 6:42 PM
It's a lot quicker and more intuitive to eject a flash drive in OS X than in Windows.

USB Disk Ejector

Double-click the desktop icon - done!!

Mike
Chienworks wrote on 4/28/2009, 6:48 PM
"Vista has copied liberallly from OS X's UI, but not successfully imho."

Which is a big negative for Vista. It may make it look simpler and easier, but it's a *huge* step backwards in making the computer useful. As Bob alludes to, if you insulate the user from how the computer works too much, it makes them that much less able to successfully use it.
blink3times wrote on 4/28/2009, 6:49 PM
"It's a lot quicker and more intuitive to eject a flash drive in OS X than in Windows."

I take mine by the edges and pull it out. It's really hard... sometimes I have to brace my feet on the side of the desk and other times I have to use vise grips and a winch ;)
blink3times wrote on 4/28/2009, 6:52 PM
"Um, how is it easier than just pulling it out? I've never had trouble with just pulling out a flash drive."

One thing you have to understand about Course and Apple.... when he talks about it a lot of sh*t tends to get flung around.
farss wrote on 4/28/2009, 7:06 PM
I can't speak for the rest of the dudes here but it's not Apple that I hate it's hype. I don't care if it's Apple hype, RED hype, HVX200 hype or even Vegas hype.

Bob.
Brad C. wrote on 4/28/2009, 7:20 PM
I don't hate on either platform. Both have their strong suits. Anyone who is truly one sided is just ill-informed about the other.

About the eject issue......if you are so tight on time that the extra few seconds it takes to....
-click computer in the history field
-right click the drive
-click safely remove
(about 4 seconds)

OR

-click on the safely remove icon in the taskbar
-click on the drive
(about 2 seconds)

....then you need to re-evaluate your life. I don't really like the idea of just pulling the drive out without ejecting, but I know some do, and that's even faster. (about a nanosecond) ; )

michaelshive wrote on 4/28/2009, 7:21 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if we all met at a party and 1/2 of you guys were in middle school. This forum used to be a great resource for helping people learn Vegas. Now it's just a bunch of guys whacking off to their copies of Vegas & Windows.
rs170a wrote on 4/28/2009, 7:29 PM
I don't really like the idea of just pulling the drive out without ejecting...

I agree with Brad on this.
The IT folks who supervise the student computer labs at the college I work for have a drawer full of dead jump drives because students don't bother to do "safe to remove" before removing them.
The usual response is "it takes too long".
Amazing how that changes once they fry a drive with several major projects on it - that aren't backed up anywhere else ;-(

Mike
rs170a wrote on 4/28/2009, 7:37 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if we all met at a party and 1/2 of you guys were in middle school.

Michael, that statement borders on being rude & insulting and is not appreciated.
I know for a fact that more than half the posters here are past middle school with some of us being well past it, me included.
This kind of discussion happens every time the Mac issue comes up.
I generally ignore threads like this and suggest that you do likewise.

Mike
michaelshive wrote on 4/28/2009, 7:45 PM
"Michael, that statement borders on being rude & insulting and is not appreciated."

With all due respect, give me a break. It's a shame this forum has degenerated to this level of conversation and it is mainly due to the few charlatans on here who think Vegas (and by extension Windows) is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Why not put these silly preferences aside and just help each other out with Vegas? It all ends up coming across so petty and juvenile.
Laurence wrote on 4/28/2009, 8:28 PM
This song by a Canadian group called "Three Dead Trolls in a Baggie" gives a pretty good assessment of the three major computer platforms (Mac, Windows & Linux). You can start the video at about 1 minute 25 seconds to avoid all the mindless chatter at the beginning. The song starts by slamming Apple, then it turns on Windows and finally Linux... funny stuff:

rmack350 wrote on 4/28/2009, 10:09 PM
Vista's explorer has breadcrumb navigation, which I'd like a lot if I was using Vista. I have it in an 2-pane Explorer replacement in XP and use it constantly.

Otherwise, I get a lot of use out of Explorer. It's worth while to get rid of all things XP about it and then learn some of it's shortcuts. Very fast.

Rob Mack