OT: What do you look like?

Comments

riredale wrote on 2/19/2008, 9:06 PM
Jay:

I'll bet you installed that neck bolt to act as the anchor for a really nifty camera mount, yes? Boy, talk about dedication to one's craft...
TShaw wrote on 2/19/2008, 9:41 PM
Kelly, If you ever get the urge to hike all the way up Mt. Washington, start in Georgia! It's a great way to spend the summer.

It's strang the this has not been done here before now, seeing as
how we all work in such a visual media. Thanks John!

Terry
Soniclight wrote on 2/19/2008, 9:42 PM
John_Cline,

You said, "This thread has turned out better than I had hoped. What fun!"

It is fun -- and rather revealing:

What strikes me is that so many fellow members are in my own age range (baby boomers and beyond).
When I first joined, I mistakenly assumed I was an oddity in that.

Any profound or otherwise thoughts by anyone on...

... Why most of us seem to be among the elder-yet-young-in-spirit bunch? :)
John_Cline wrote on 2/19/2008, 10:21 PM
"Why most of us seem to be among the elder-yet-young-in-spirit bunch? :)"

Most of the kids are using FCP. That's OK, they're young and don't know any better.
Soniclight wrote on 2/19/2008, 10:34 PM
"Most of the kids are using FCP. That's OK, they're young and don't know any better."

Lemme guess... you own Sony stock, John - lol. But kidding aside, you're probably right.
It seems overall more "hip" to use FCP.

Vegas doesn't have that same sexy market veneer about it, but it's got muscle and versatility.
So us wiser, older folk go for the less sexy, more reliable.

Well, most of the time :)
DrLumen wrote on 2/19/2008, 11:50 PM
Good thread - even for an OT. ;-)

This is an older pic but just add a few pounds and some gray hair and it is pretty much the same. (still razor challenged)

Like was said earlier, it is strange how the imagination can make a mental picture with nothing more than words or tone. On a like note, how have all of your preconceptions changed now?

My perspective has changed by the fact that I perceived some comments were probably attributed to the exuberance of youth. Now to find that is more like stubbornness of age. :-) FWIW, I include myself in the latter as well.

intel i-4790k / Asus Z97 Pro / 32GB Crucial RAM / Nvidia GTX 560Ti / 500GB Samsung SSD / 256 GB Samsung SSD / 2-WDC 4TB Black HDD's / 2-WDC 1TB HDD's / 2-HP 23" Monitors / Various MIDI gear, controllers and audio interfaces

Fleshpainter wrote on 2/20/2008, 1:52 AM
OK, you asked for it...

http://johnldemike.com/bio.htm
Soniclight wrote on 2/20/2008, 7:53 AM
Jonathan,

Phunny stuff.

Your before-and-after-Vegas poster could inspire Sony to launch its own "by the people" commercials that big corporations are doing these days.

Considering the talent in its market due to the very nature of the product, they could save some serious ad campaign dough too :)
Tim L wrote on 2/20/2008, 6:13 PM
Okay, I'm in. I've really enjoyed this thread -- no bickering and fighting.

From 2006, backpacking trip to Philmont (Boy Scout camp) in New Mexico. Me on the left, with my then-14-year-old son. The stubble is there only due to 11 days on the trail without shaving. Normally I'm (fairly) clean shaven. I cut my hair short just for that trip, but since then have pretty much kept it that way.

Tim L

[IMG=http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii106/timlan635/ToothofTime-TimandChris-cropped.jpg]Tim L -- 2006[/IMG] 
rmack350 wrote on 2/21/2008, 12:36 PM
Here's one of me from 2005. Not so long ago but I've since lost the beard.

Rob Mack
jrazz wrote on 2/21/2008, 12:45 PM
Rob,

I didn't know you owned a petting zoo. :)

j razz
epirb wrote on 2/21/2008, 1:15 PM

I could kill myself for posting this one.

Here's my DSE pose ;-)

And R Mack: I think I found your beard on the side of the road...is there a reward?
LReavis wrote on 2/21/2008, 1:46 PM
here's a couple of frame grabs using the JetDV snapshot-to-file script, taken from video I shot a couple of months ago as part of my autobiographical video:

Now that I look at them with a critic's eye, I wish I'd have taken a bit more care in following Vic Milt's recommendations in his outstanding Director/Cameraman and lighting DVDs. Unfortunately, there's only so much you can do (without makeup) with lighting/composition when your "talent" is a lots-of-miles 70+ year-old man. . .
rmack350 wrote on 2/21/2008, 1:58 PM
yep. But none of none of those little critters. it's a heavy petting zoo. ;-)

That picture was in front of the TodaiJi temple in Nara, Japan, and one of the few I could find that didn't make me look like a squinting maniac.

The temple area in Nara has all these little deer walking around looking for handouts. They're just loose. Nara was the capital before Kyoto and is about an hour away by normal train. Because it was a seat of government, there was a lot of competition to build temples and Nara has some of the biggest and oldest wooden structures in the entire world. It may also be home to one of the oldest construction firms stilll in existance, but I'm not sure if that's Nara or somewhere else.

Rob
rmack350 wrote on 2/21/2008, 2:00 PM
Naw, If I want it I think I can grow a new one. It was the first thing to go grey so off it went.

I was looking at some more recent pictures from a sailing trip in the channel islands area, but the squinting maniac problem was pretty bad. Still, it crossed my mind that a few of the sailing folk here might like that.

Rob
epirb wrote on 2/21/2008, 2:30 PM
That would include me!

OOPs now I'm taking the Off Topic ,Offshore sorry!

rmack350 wrote on 2/21/2008, 2:39 PM
yes indeed!

Rob
kairosmatt wrote on 2/21/2008, 2:44 PM
epirb-
nice boat!
Just out of curiosity-does your screen name have anything to do with your sailing experiences??

http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/marcomms/gmdss/epirb.htm
John_Cline wrote on 2/21/2008, 2:45 PM
Sailing? Cool. Unfortunately, I'm in the desert here in New Mexico*. All beach, no ocean. Although, I'm going to spend a week in San Diego the end of March, maybe I can figure out a way to get some sailing in while I'm there.

John

(*New Mexico: Not really new, not really Mexico.)
Tim L wrote on 2/21/2008, 2:46 PM
Distorted photos

From observation (but I'm no expert) -- it looks like any photo > 600 pixels wide will be compressed to a 600 pixel width for display, and any photo > 400 pixels high will be compressed to a 400 pixel height for display.

If your source photo is < 600 wide and < 400 high, everything will look just fabulous.

Tim L
MH_Stevens wrote on 2/21/2008, 2:52 PM
More a picture of a cactus than me, but what a cactus.

rmack350 wrote on 2/21/2008, 2:52 PM
Ah! THATS why mine looks so good! ;-)

-R