Release VEGAS Pro 365 - General Discussion

Comments

suhaib-siddiqi wrote on 2/1/2018, 9:57 AM

as long as you've renewed your subscription.

You should have it in your FAQ and license what you said above, "as long as you have your subscription to the current or higher version." Mentioning that "Your projects are yours to keep" is misleading and it can imply that even after the subscription expires, one can still open the project (though may not be able to edit.)

If you clarify these issues, instead of using vague language on your website, then you do not have to answer the same issue/question over and over again.

gary-rebholz wrote on 2/1/2018, 10:11 AM

You should have it in your FAQ and license what you said above

Well now that's a great suggestion. Sorry for not thinking of it myself. I will see how we can clarify the FAQ.

walter-inspruckner wrote on 2/1/2018, 10:21 AM

This is how one speaks among adult, enlightened and respectful people.
Maybe we could learn something from this ......

AVsupport wrote on 2/1/2018, 9:09 PM

I think the issue with bundled plugins proliferation could do with a little clarification as well, it has me puzzled and confused.. but maybe that's just my brain.. ;-) thanks!

my current Win10/64 system (latest drivers, water cooled) :

Intel Coffee Lake i5 Hexacore (unlocked, but not overclocked) 4.0 GHz on Z370 chipset board,

32GB (4x8GB Corsair Dual Channel DDR4-2133) XMP-3000 RAM,

Intel 600series 512GB M.2 SSD system drive running Win10/64 home automatic driver updates,

Crucial BX500 1TB EDIT 3D NAND SATA 2.5-inch SSD

2x 4TB 7200RPM NAS HGST data drive,

Intel HD630 iGPU - currently disabled in Bios,

nVidia GTX1060 6GB, always on latest [creator] drivers. nVidia HW acceleration enabled.

main screen 4K/50p 1ms scaled @175%, second screen 1920x1080/50p 1ms.

terry54321 wrote on 2/1/2018, 10:59 PM

Does any version of Vegas Pro support natively Canon's Cinema RAW Light video file? Or is the development team working on support for Canon's Cinema RAW Light for VP 16?

Marco. wrote on 2/2/2018, 3:15 AM

There is no complete RAW support at all in Vegas Pro, except for RED recordings. By "no complete" I mean, even if decoding of the raw files works (which it does in many cases) the metadata would be missing and there's no metadata control anymore.

gary-rebholz wrote on 2/2/2018, 8:42 AM

I think the issue with bundled plugins proliferation could do with a little clarification as well

Sorry; now I'm the thick one. I'm not sure exactly what you mean.

AVsupport wrote on 2/2/2018, 7:18 PM

@gary-rebholz, we’ve seen a number of different bundled 3rd party FX over the recent years, some of which won’t work in later versions of VP. Not a problem if you own the full version, you can just get back to that and all will be there.

But if you were to edit your sequence in VP365/14 with some of those bundled FX, who can guarantee that you still have access to those if your subscription changes to VP365/15 or 16 which might not contain those bundles or be no longer compatible?

Intel Coffee Lake i5 Hexacore (unlocked, but not overclocked) 4.0 GHz on Z370 chipset board,

Intel 600series 512GB M.2 SSD system drive running Win10/64 home automatic driver updates,

nVidia GTX1060 6GB, always on latest [creator] drivers. nVidia HW acceleration enabled.

pete-schaefers wrote on 2/3/2018, 7:42 PM

Wow, what a LONG frustrating thread. I read page one and seven, and it appears what's in between is a lot of rehashing the same concerns. (I think some need to read more carefully.) I appreciate Gary's patient replies, and attempts to clarify.

Since Magix is *not* eliminating the perpetual license model, and *is* continuing development (both offerings are the same software), I see no problems. It takes nothing away from me, but does add options.

My thoughts:

- I am not interested in a subscription model, and if that ever became the *only* option, then I'm gone. (Magix, please note that.)

- I like the subscription model *along side* the perpetual license model since it has the potential to increase the user base. That's good for Magix, good for development, and ultimately good for the end users.

- I can see uses for the new, additional, license model for those who have a need for the latest features and add-ons on a regular basis. After all, for those who update every couple years ($300 upgrade vs. $400 for 2 year subscription) the difference is only $1 a week, and for those who upgrade regularly the subscription's a good deal.

- Magix has said clearly that the two license model options are here to stay (saying "for now" is a reasonable statement, imo). I would suggest this to Magix: Give us a commitment that if you ever decide to go to a subscription only license model that you will give us fair warning (minimum 1 year, preferably 2).

fifonik wrote on 2/4/2018, 3:46 PM

@gary-rebholz, we’ve seen a number of different bundled 3rd party FX over the recent years, some of which won’t work in later versions of VP.

Not an issue (scroll to FAQ in the page) as:

- VP365 will not force you to upgrade

- When "upgraded", previous version would not be uninstalled so two different versions will co-exists. As a result, you will be able to use previous version if you'd like to use some plugins that only licensed to exact version.

Camcorder: Panasonic X1500 + Panasonic X920 + GoPro Hero 11 Black

Desktop: MB: MSI B450M MORTAR TITANIUM, CPU: AMD Ryzen 5700X, RAM: G'Skill 16 GB DDR4@3200, Graphics card: MSI RX6600 8GB, SSD: Samsung 970 Evo+ 1TB (NVMe, OS), Samsung 870 Evo, HDD WD 4TB, HDD Toshiba 4TB, OS: Windows 10 Pro 22H2

NLE: Vegas Pro [Edit] 11, 12, 13, 15, 17, 18, 19

AVsupport wrote on 2/4/2018, 4:45 PM

@fifonik, not sure if I can 'subscribe' to your interpretation..

The primary objective of a subscription would be to stay updated and have the latest release. Sure you can avoid a subscription update during your subscription cycle (an update maybe forced after 12 mths renewal), but once you have done an update (and you will), there's no going back to a previous version.

Only a Full Version VP can coexist on your system.

As I read it from Gary, there can only ever be one version of 365, which is only operational when your subscription is paid.

Again, I think we have to wait for Gary's detailed information to clarify what happens to previous-version Plugins in older 365 projects.

fifonik wrote on 2/4/2018, 4:58 PM

Have you checked the FAQ on the VP365 page? From the page:

How do update installs work?

You will be alerted when an update is available. Updates are not automatic so you are free to choose when to install the update.

Will I lose any version of VEGAS Pro I already have installed?

No. You can use other installed versions in parallel with VEGAS Pro 365.

If I understand correctly:

If you subscribed when the current VP version is VP15 -- you cannot have VP 14 installed.

If you subscribed when VP 14 was the current version, you have VP 14 installed. When VP 15 is out, you can install VP 15 as well (aside VP 14 will not be uninstalled), so you can use VP 14 and VP 15 until you are 'on subscription'. You can continue to work with your old project in VP 14 and start new project in VP 15. Or you can convert your VP 14 project to VP 15 format and continue to work in VP 15. Once you convert you project to VP you will not be able to open it in VP 14 (here you cannot use some plugins if they only licensed to VP 14).

Last changed by fifonik on 2/4/2018, 5:01 PM, changed a total of 2 times.

Desktop: MB: MSI B450M MORTAR TITANIUM, CPU: AMD Ryzen 5700X, RAM: G'Skill 16 GB DDR4@3200, Graphics card: MSI RX6600 8GB, SSD: Samsung 970 Evo+ 1TB (NVMe, OS), Samsung 870 Evo, HDD WD 4TB, HDD Toshiba 4TB, OS: Windows 10 Pro 22H2

AVsupport wrote on 2/4/2018, 5:20 PM

@fifonik, you must differentiate between the Full Versions VP14/15 and the Subscription VP365. You cannot have a VP365[15] coexist with VP365[16] as I understand it.

[repeat] So if you have a project that is VP365[15] using those plugins, they might not work any longer if you update to VP365[16]. Unless you own a FullVersion VP15 (which defeats the purpose of a subscription imo) THAT's the problem...

fifonik wrote on 2/4/2018, 5:57 PM

Well, I'd like to see some clarifications from Magix as well.

However, I believe that VP365 is the save program as VPXX with just different license check method. If so, 364[14] and 365[15] (etc) will be installed in two different directories. Such system is much easier to implement. Also, it avoids the plugins compatibility issues we discussing. As a result, if I were Magix, I'd use it.

OldSmoke wrote on 2/5/2018, 3:40 AM

Well, I'd like to see some clarifications from Magix as well.

However, I believe that VP365 is the save program as VPXX with just different license check method. If so, 364[14] and 365[15] (etc) will be installed in two different directories. Such system is much easier to implement. Also, it avoids the plugins compatibility issues we discussing. As a result, if I were Magix, I'd use it.

I doubt that every version of Vegas 365 will be a separate install, that would make for a lot of files and folders in a very short time. I would rather think that every new version will overwrite just the files required for the new version and the folder structure will remain. In any case, if the users stops subscribing he or she will not be able to open the project file anymore unless one has the same version as the 365 also as a full version; but that negate the purpose of subscribing in the first place.

Proud owner of Sony Vegas Pro 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 & 13 and now Magix VP15&16.

System Spec.:
Motherboard: ASUS X299 Prime-A

Ram: G.Skill 4x8GB DDR4 2666 XMP

CPU: i7-9800x @ 4.6GHz (custom water cooling system)
GPU: 1x AMD Vega Pro Frontier Edition (water cooled)
Hard drives: System Samsung 970Pro NVME, AV-Projects 1TB (4x Intel P7600 512GB VROC), 4x 2.5" Hotswap bays, 1x 3.5" Hotswap Bay, 1x LG BluRay Burner

PSU: Corsair 1200W
Monitor: 2x Dell Ultrasharp U2713HM (2560x1440)

JohnnyRoy wrote on 2/5/2018, 9:28 AM

On another note, why aren't we seeing 'Vegas Production Assistant Pro' as a 365-addon-option for VP14/15 owners? I would be more interested in extending my functionality rather than risking backward-compatibility issues and plugin auto expiries...

@AVsupport Can you elaborate on what you mean by this statement?

VEGAS Production Assistant Pro currently supports both VEGAS Pro 14 and 15. I assume it will continue to work with VEGAS Pro 365 since it is just a subscription for VEGAS Pro 15.

Are you looking for a statement of compatibility? Or would you like to see the plug-in bundled with VEGAS Pro 365 somehow? I'm just not clear on what you were getting at. We (VASST) would welcome a bundle. We've been trying to get VEGAS Production Assistant Pro bundled with VEGAS Pro Suite just like Sony did but so far, MAGIX has not done so. If this is what customer want... you need to let MAGIX know.

~jr

pete-schaefers wrote on 2/5/2018, 10:45 AM

Regarding the concern for future VP365 orphaning plugins that are only licensed to a previous version, I too would be interested in a clarification.

My suspicion is that it would not be a problem, but that Magix will still have a solution for it anyway. I say not be a problem because most of the plugins would be in every version, and an updated plugin version should (but maybe not) be able to import the older file's settings and still function. Secondly, if indeed multiple versions of VP365 can coexist and function (assuming a maintained subscription) then it's a mute point, the same as with the perpetual version now. Mainly though, for those who feel this is a mission critical concern, the solution is *stay* with the perpetual license version.

Gary:

Is there a backward compatible path for plugins?

Will multiple VP365 versions be allowed to allowed to coexist and run so long as a valid subscription exists?

gary-rebholz wrote on 2/5/2018, 11:12 AM

Hopefully clarifying several questions at once:

• If you own a perpetual version, let's say VP14, there is no reason you would ever need to uninstall it. Even if you subscribe to VP365 version 15, you can still run your perpetual VP14 right along side. This is no different than the case of running both VP14 and VP15 perpetual license. They do not conflict with each other and you can run them both--even simultaneously. But keep in mind that (as usual) you will not be able to open a project created in VP 15 (365 or perpetual) in VP 14. That's normal and it has always been that way.
  • If you are on the subscription plan with 365 version 15, you can also decide to then install 16 when it comes out and continue to run both side by side just as you can with the perpetual version.
  • As for the plug-ins that come with 365 version 15, we required our partners to ensure that those plug-ins were not version/host locked. That means that if they've done it right, you will be able to use those plug-ins when you upgrade to 16 later. If you decide to let your subscription lapse and buy the perpetual version instead, those plug-ins will also work with the perpetual version.
  • As for Production Assistant, since there is no difference between VEGAS Pro and VEGAS Pro 365 (as pointed out, it's just a different acquisition option, the installers are identical), wherever Production Assistant works with the perpetual version, it works with 365.
pete-schaefers wrote on 2/5/2018, 12:38 PM

A couple followups questions.

If you are on the subscription plan with 365 version 15, you can also decide to then install 16 when it comes out and continue to run both side by side just as you can with the perpetual version.

Because I know someone will ask...

If, for example, you subscribed to 365 v15, and 365 v16, then took a year off in the Caribbean, and then subscribed to 365 v18, am I correct in assuming that v15 and v16 would be able to be used (and even installable again, if necessary, from your archive site), as well as v18? (But of course older versions could not open newer version files.)

Also, what does Magix say regarding a commitment to not eliminate the perpetual license ever, without a minimum warning period of a year or more? This would allow ample time for decisions to be made regarding that situation, and will bolster confidence of current perpetual license users.

gary-rebholz wrote on 2/5/2018, 1:07 PM

what does Magix say regarding a commitment to not eliminate the perpetual license ever, without a minimum warning period of a year or more?

No such commitment has been made or discussed as far as I know. I certainly don't have the authority to make that kind of commitment. Personally, I would expect that if any such thing were to happen, MAGIX would want to be as transparent as possible about the situation, but I can't offer any guarantee that what you suggest would happen.

If, for example, you subscribed to 365 v15, and 365 v16, then took a year off in the Caribbean, and then subscribed to 365 v18, am I correct in assuming that v15 and v16 would be able to be used (and even installable again, if necessary, from your archive site), as well as v18?

That's another far future topic that I can't give you any absolute assurance on. I can tell you that as far as I know, VEGAS has never purposely been disabled so that older versions won't open after a period of time, and the VEGAS team is not currently building anything into the software that would do that. But technology changes, and certainly underlying technology could make older versions of any software nonoperational at some point. I don't anticipate that we'd do that intentionally, but I have to leave the possibility open that it could happen, so no, I can give you no guarantee on that. I don't think it would happen, but it might. You'd still have that original installer, so my guess is that you'd be able to install it again and use it under your future subscription, but that is a personal guess, not an official company position or promise.

pete-schaefers wrote on 2/5/2018, 1:25 PM

Thanks, Gary. I would suggest both of those items be forwarded on to the appropriate channels for consideration, and hopefully, an official response. Magix has been reputable as far as it's dealings with my past licensing issues, so I'm optimistic, and am suggesting these things in the interest furthering confidence.

AVsupport wrote on 2/5/2018, 3:30 PM

@JohnnyRoy, Yes, what I'd like to see with VPPAST is tighter integration with Vegas. Like Hitfilm where you can send things on a return trip from within VP. And yes, bundle price. This is one of the advantages of inhouse production to have a range of products, so problems can be effectively resolved. And this has always been my frustration with other 3rd party bundled plugins: when things go wrong and there is problems there's the perpetual fingerpointing and nothing happens for the next half a year. Hence I don't do bundles anymore, sorry Magix. That said, the 'new concept / commitment' sounds more promising..

@gary-rebholz, Thanks for taking the time to clarify some of these questions; parallel operation of 365 is an excellent choice, so is the new plugin policy, (I hope Magix can test this reality somehow before bundle integration / market release). As for what happens to in-future-expired-365 versions, I guess one option could always be to offer identical Version VP perpetual at a drastically reduced price or an additional $-temporal 'unlock-code' to reinstall or use an older version 365 for another period of time.., [but that's not my problem as I will continue with perpetual..]

fifonik wrote on 2/5/2018, 7:06 PM

@OldSmoke

I doubt that every version of Vegas 365 will be a separate install, that would make for a lot of files and folders in a very short time.

Not a drama at all. I did not mean that every build will have it own location, I mean every version. Like V12, V13, V14, V15 now are installed in different folders right now and I do not see any issues here.

So looks like I was right:

@gary-rebholz

If you are on the subscription plan with 365 version 15, you can also decide to then install 16 when it comes out and continue to run both side by side just as you can with the perpetual version.

Garry confirmed that 365[15] and 365[16] could be used side by side as perpetual versions.

OldSmoke wrote on 2/6/2018, 7:39 AM

So looks like I was right:

It seems so. My next question would be: If i have subscribed to 365(15) and 365(16) and stop after that, will both version be locked or only the last version. Meaning, will 365(15) become perpetual once you upgrade to 365(16)?

Proud owner of Sony Vegas Pro 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 & 13 and now Magix VP15&16.

System Spec.:
Motherboard: ASUS X299 Prime-A

Ram: G.Skill 4x8GB DDR4 2666 XMP

CPU: i7-9800x @ 4.6GHz (custom water cooling system)
GPU: 1x AMD Vega Pro Frontier Edition (water cooled)
Hard drives: System Samsung 970Pro NVME, AV-Projects 1TB (4x Intel P7600 512GB VROC), 4x 2.5" Hotswap bays, 1x 3.5" Hotswap Bay, 1x LG BluRay Burner

PSU: Corsair 1200W
Monitor: 2x Dell Ultrasharp U2713HM (2560x1440)