Release VEGAS Pro 365 - General Discussion

VEGAS_CommunityManager wrote on 1/17/2018, 7:30 AM

Dear community,

VEGAS Pro 365 has been released: Official announcement

Of course, we will develope VEGAS Pro 16 and continue to offer & update perpetual licenses of VEGAS Pro.

Let's have the general discussion in this thread. Please make a new post or comment on an existing one for specific issues.

Best regards,
Mathias

Comments

NickHope wrote on 1/17/2018, 8:58 AM

On the product comparison page the "Number of video tracks" row has an "X" in it for VP365. I assume that's an error?

vkmast wrote on 1/17/2018, 9:21 AM

Odd. OT: Under "Video" in "Filters and special effects" there still shows an "X" in Edit version column despite feedback. Something in nomenclature we don't know?

VEGAS_CommunityManager wrote on 1/17/2018, 9:25 AM

@Nick: I can confirm that this is an error. We will correct this, sorry!

HDJames wrote on 1/17/2018, 9:42 AM

Hopefully this will not be the plain future for Vegas Pro (and VMS?)

If this is their future I'm gone.

i am erikd wrote on 1/17/2018, 10:36 AM

I wonder if Magix will be honest with this question. What is the business reason why everyone in the NLE business seems to be so interested in going to a subscription model? Please don't give me the sales pitch about how you can serve you customers better. I am wondering why it is so appealing as a money-maker for the company? Is it about control and fighting piracy? Is it the ability to raise rates incrementally over time in a less noticeable way? Curious if we will get a straight answer on this because I'm pretty sure if Magix were to hold a referendum with their users, the subscription model would be soundly defeated. Yet, Magix and everyone else except Davinci Resolve push on to the subscription approach.

VEGAS_CommunityManager wrote on 1/17/2018, 10:39 AM

Hopefully this will not be the plain future for Vegas Pro (and VMS?)

If this is their future I'm gone.

This is not planned. The current VEGAS Pro 365 is explicit an additional complete package for first-time users (like Gary said).

OldSmoke wrote on 1/17/2018, 10:45 AM

I wonder if Magix will be honest with this question. What is the business reason why everyone in the NLE business seems to be so interested in going to a subscription model? Please don't give me the sales pitch about how you can serve you customers better. I am wondering why it is so appealing as a money-maker for the company? Is it about control and fighting piracy? Is it the ability to raise rates incrementally over time in a less noticeable way? Curious if we will get a straight answer on this because I'm pretty sure if Magix were to hold a referendum with their users, the subscription model would be soundly defeated. Yet, Magix and everyone else except Davinci Resolve push on to the subscription approach.

You won’t get an honest answer, will never happen. But, it’s rather simple, it’s about a constant flow of income which helps businesses to plan for the future, including predicting returns which allows for better human resource planing.

Proud owner of Sony Vegas Pro 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 & 13 and now Magix VP15&16.

System Spec.:
Motherboard: ASUS X299 Prime-A

Ram: G.Skill 4x8GB DDR4 2666 XMP

CPU: i7-9800x @ 4.6GHz (custom water cooling system)
GPU: 1x AMD Vega Pro Frontier Edition (water cooled)
Hard drives: System Samsung 970Pro NVME, AV-Projects 1TB (4x Intel P7600 512GB VROC), 4x 2.5" Hotswap bays, 1x 3.5" Hotswap Bay, 1x LG BluRay Burner

PSU: Corsair 1200W
Monitor: 2x Dell Ultrasharp U2713HM (2560x1440)

bitman wrote on 1/17/2018, 11:00 AM

I hope VEGAS Pro 15 Update 2 (build 261) was not the last patch since we need to have 365 to get new patches - according the comparison sheet- (or the occasional extra feature we may get with a new patch) ?

Are there still plans for a Vegas 16?

Last changed by bitman on 1/17/2018, 11:02 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

APPS: VIDEO: VP 365 (22 build 93, 21 - build 315), VP 365 20, VP 19 post (latest build -651), (uninstalled VP 12,13,14,15,16 Suite,17, VP18 post), Vegasaur, a lot of NEWBLUE plugins, Mercalli 6.0, Respeedr, Vasco Da Gamma 16 HDpro XXL, Boris Continuum 2024, Davinci Resolve Studio 18, SOUND: RX 10 advanced Audio Editor, Sound Forge Pro 17, Spectral Layers Pro 10, Audacity, FOTO: Zoner, DXO, Luminar, Topaz...

• CPU: i9-13900K (upgraded my former CPU i9-12900K), Air Cooler: Noctua NH-D15s
  • RAM: DDR5 Corsair 64GB (5600-40 Vengeance)
  • Graphics card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3090 TUF OC GAMING (24GB) 
  • Monitor: LG 38 inch ultra-wide (21x9) - Resolution: 3840x1600
  • C-drive: Corsair MP600 PRO XT NVMe SSD 4TB (PCIe Gen. 4)
  • Video drives: Samsung NVMe SSD 2TB (980 pro and 970 EVO plus) each 2TB
  • Mass Data storage & Backup: WD gold 6TB + WD Yellow 4TB
  • MOBO: Gigabyte Z690 AORUS MASTER
  • PSU: Corsair HX1500i, Case: Fractal Design Define 7 (PCGH edition)
  • Misc.: Logitech G915, Evoluent Vertical Mouse, shuttlePROv2

vkmast wrote on 1/17/2018, 11:39 AM

From the Vegas Pro P.O. here https://www.provideocoalition.com/new-vegas-pro-365-subscription-model-creates-options-opportunities-editors/ "--- we will continue to offer and update perpetual licenses of VEGAS Pro." See also the official announcement linked in the initial post.

VEGAS_CommunityManager wrote on 1/17/2018, 11:45 AM

@bitman Let me get back to you. I will try to find out how many patches are planned for VEGAS Pro 15.

Regarding VEGAS Pro 16: of course we will release VEGAS Pro 16 !

The team is already working on it. 😉

Edit: There will be an update for VEGAS Pro 15 soon. I'm sure, you can understand, that I can't tell what the timeframe is. As always, we will inform the community and gladly take your feedback.

glovercover wrote on 1/17/2018, 4:42 PM

People you amaze me :) Of course this is the future of Vegas, well, how employees can tell you the truth under the NDA.

But I will say so! This is the best thing that can happen with Vegas. If everything is according to plan, then the update will be delivered as soon as it is ready, there will be an opportunity to improve and add plug-ins, expand the team, and hire new employees. Vegas by subscription - More money, stable money! But it's in theory ... we'll find out soon! I think there's still a chance. Peace!

p.s. I do not like it, but it's good for Vegas!

monoparadox wrote on 1/17/2018, 10:21 PM

The truth of the matter is technology and features have matured for many tech products whether it's Vegas or Apple. Most improvements are now incremental. If companies want to exist and pay employees, subscription models or planned obsolescence are being sought to provide consistent revenue streams. More for less is a thing of the past for us oldsters and many young folks have never experienced it. Now it's less for more -- or just be happy with what you have -- which is a choice more people are making.

-- tom

Former user wrote on 1/18/2018, 7:19 AM

Two excerpts from Magix promotion of 365 ...

1)

Can I use the software offline?

Yes, the software can be used offline for the duration of your subscription. An internet connection is only required to check for new updates as well as to validate the program once a month.”

2)

“What happens to my projects?

Even if you end or suspend your subscription, your projects are yours to keep forever.”

Surely since the software can be used offline only if you’re still in subscription 1) above then “your projects are yours to keep forever.” 2) above is redundant if you don’t renew your subscription.

Whereas if you use VP15 software and don’t get say version 17, you CAN STILL use the projects, not the case with 365, projects will be useless if you aren’t in subscription.

glovercover wrote on 1/18/2018, 7:25 AM

Unfortunately, only now I understand that this subscription model does not give any special advantages, because you still need to pay the whole amount for a year or three months.

It looks like a better deal, but you have to pay $200 for 12 months, and $60 for three. This commitment on your part for an annual payment, nothing more. For the company this is good, for users there is no special benefit. Perhaps additional software and plugins may be of interest, but personally I only need Vegas Pro.

You can not pay $17 monthly. There is no possibility to buy a subscription for a month or two and to interrupt it at any time. In any case users still have a choice.

monoparadox wrote on 1/18/2018, 11:03 AM

My guess is they would prefer having all users on a subscription model. They did so with their Xara product and after buying in the first year I decided it wasn't worth it and now choose to use the product as is, with limited resources. I'd guess many others did the same thing and the Vegas "365 model" is designed not to push people off the product by retaining the previous sales model. I'll predict higher renewal prices to drive people onto subscription. If/when they reach a critical mass with subscriptions, look for that to become the only option.

-- tom

suhaib-siddiqi wrote on 1/18/2018, 12:28 PM

Vegas 15 was a disappointment. I never upgraded to 15. Instead, I moved to Davinci Resolve, which is cheaper than Vegas (and now Vegas 365), and a much better NLE. The rendering time for the same clip in Davinci Resolve is 4 times faster than Vegas 15 (trial version.) For me Vegas 14 is there to work on old projects if I need it, otherwise, like many others who complained and moved to Davinci Resolve, Vegas 14 was the end of the story for me.

wwjd wrote on 1/18/2018, 12:28 PM

Vegas fan, but, will move on rather than subscribe when the time comes.

marc-s wrote on 1/18/2018, 2:05 PM

"@bitman Let me get back to you. I will try to find out how many patches are planned for VEGAS Pro 15."

One of the reasons I upgraded to 15 was because Gary basically promised in an online interview that we would be seeing AMD acceleration support for editing in future Vegas 15 updates. I'm starting to doubt this think that if it ever manifests it will be in Vegas 16 / 365 or later.

gary-rebholz wrote on 1/18/2018, 3:11 PM

...Gary basically promised in an online interview that we would be seeing AMD acceleration support for editing in future Vegas 15 updates.  I'm starting to doubt this think that if it ever manifests it will be in Vegas 16 / 365 or later.

It's Forum and Interview Management 101 not to say whatever I must have said that inspired the above quote. That's my mistake--I know better. We are working on AMD support, honest. If it was easy, it would be done already. My hope is still to get it into a free VP 15 update.

You won’t get an honest answer, will never happen.

Well that sounds pretty definitive, but I'll try to be honest regardless.

Some of you are in a position to afford the outlay for the full version, and that's great. But others are not. Subscription makes sense for some even though it doesn't for others. Here's more honesty: we didn't do it just to provide more negative fodder for these pages (although, of course I knew that was coming). We did it because there is business sense behind it. We are a business, after all. And we're a business that's interested in staying in business by serving all customers--not just those who can afford a perpetual license. Subscription is available and so is a perpetual license. I know of no plans to discontinue either--that's yet another honest statement.

At the risk of having my big mouth trotted out again to make us look like a bunch of scammers, we are actively working on Update 3 of VEGAS Pro 15. It will be a nice update and is planned as a free update for anyone who owns any version of 15--perpetual or subscription. It will solve several problems you see. It will not solve all of the problems there are...I feel safe in the honesty of that statement.

It will likely be released in the coming few weeks...but anything can happen to delay that update, so I'm purposely and honestly not mentioning an exact date. Even so, I've said plenty enough to cause myself more grief. I guess I'd better go back to that Forum Management 101 course. Like my mother would say, "Honestly, Gary. You should know better than that."

Former user wrote on 1/18/2018, 3:35 PM

Well Gary, as I mentioned above, unless i’m missing something, I am open to correction on this if its not so. I think its a bit disengenious in the marketing info, my item 2) above. Making a positive, in the marketing, of keeping your 365 projects is misleading as users will no longer be able to load them if their subscription lapses. This is the essence of ransomware.

If the subscription lapses having all the projects in the world isnt any good if the lapsed 365 software doesnt any longer load the projects.

gary-rebholz wrote on 1/18/2018, 4:06 PM

There is nothing disingenuous about that marketing statement. A customer makes a project in VP 365, it's hers. If she stops subscribing, it's still hers. Even if she never subscribes again, it's still hers. But if a year later she decides she needs to edit that project again, it's still hers, so she can open it in VP 365 or the perpetual version that's current at that time or matches the 365 version it was created in. How on earth do you manage to turn that into a disingenuous, sneaky, or dishonest thing?

I get it; you don't like subscription. Don't subscribe. Simple equation. If we were holding your dog hostage and promised only to release him if you subscribe, that's ransom. Subscription is just another option. Use it or don't, whichever works for you.

wwjd wrote on 1/18/2018, 6:22 PM

Can one just drop in and out of subscription at will? For those who only upgrade every few years or so.

glovercover wrote on 1/18/2018, 8:12 PM

bscription. Don't subscribe. Simple equation. If we were holding your dog hostage and promised only to release him if you subscribe, that's ransom. Subscription is just another option. Use it or don't, whichever works for you.

Most users use very old versions, and you as developers need to try very hard to interest these users to buy a new version or subscribe to Vegas 365. If there is no quality product, no marketing tricks will help.

bitman wrote on 1/19/2018, 2:01 AM

Most users use very old versions, and you as developers need to try very hard to interest these users to buy a new version or subscribe to Vegas 365. If there is no quality product, no marketing tricks will help.

Most users use very old versions? So I am an exception with Vegas 15. Anyone out there with 15?

I had 12, 13, 14 before, and the reason someone updates is partially if they can afford it, partly if they get seduced by marketing, and partly if they need it technically. Personally I got 15 because my eyes are getting older and I had issues with the small fonts on Vegas 14 (and below) which did not scale well with my new ultra wide monitor. Vegas 15 solved this, and QSV, Nvidea support and a dark UI was good bonus for me too.

APPS: VIDEO: VP 365 (22 build 93, 21 - build 315), VP 365 20, VP 19 post (latest build -651), (uninstalled VP 12,13,14,15,16 Suite,17, VP18 post), Vegasaur, a lot of NEWBLUE plugins, Mercalli 6.0, Respeedr, Vasco Da Gamma 16 HDpro XXL, Boris Continuum 2024, Davinci Resolve Studio 18, SOUND: RX 10 advanced Audio Editor, Sound Forge Pro 17, Spectral Layers Pro 10, Audacity, FOTO: Zoner, DXO, Luminar, Topaz...

• CPU: i9-13900K (upgraded my former CPU i9-12900K), Air Cooler: Noctua NH-D15s
  • RAM: DDR5 Corsair 64GB (5600-40 Vengeance)
  • Graphics card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3090 TUF OC GAMING (24GB) 
  • Monitor: LG 38 inch ultra-wide (21x9) - Resolution: 3840x1600
  • C-drive: Corsair MP600 PRO XT NVMe SSD 4TB (PCIe Gen. 4)
  • Video drives: Samsung NVMe SSD 2TB (980 pro and 970 EVO plus) each 2TB
  • Mass Data storage & Backup: WD gold 6TB + WD Yellow 4TB
  • MOBO: Gigabyte Z690 AORUS MASTER
  • PSU: Corsair HX1500i, Case: Fractal Design Define 7 (PCGH edition)
  • Misc.: Logitech G915, Evoluent Vertical Mouse, shuttlePROv2