Split + Delete (While Playing) Causing Huge Hangs

Comments

pierre-k wrote on 8/15/2020, 2:17 AM

The team is now full of worries about VP18. Lots of crashes and for some non-functional AI FX. They now have other priorities. Still, I hope for a miracle.

Marco. wrote on 8/15/2020, 5:16 AM

@Phil_P
That little communication came through me and fr0sty. We were in communication with the developers, reached all the information we could gather and they approved they work on the issue. My guess still is this is a very hard and complex one.

Phil_P wrote on 8/15/2020, 1:17 PM

Marco and Frosty thanks much appreciation and credit to you.

However, with all due respect and as I mentioned numerous times, I work in QA testing myself. I have a history of over 12,000+ (valid) reports with just one of the software companies I work with.

Because of the above I am also well used to the fact that when an "outsider" reports an issue, it sometimes takes time for that info to be taken seriously and given credibility.

My info has been succinct and detailed including videos and screen shots and as much info as was available at the time.

Yet still, nobody has communicated directly with me

I have seen comments on these forums on much smaller and less "significant" posts, from "Vegas" people but none on at all on this thread.

I spent a lot of time and effort tracing this issue and pushing this thread. When I first posted it, it was pretty much ignored. Until I kept adding more info. I have been patient and polite.

A simple message from one of the official Vegas guys and/or a reply from support would have gone a long way.

Even if that message was to simply say "We are aware thank you and you can help is further by doing x y z".

Just because someone has an issue and is persistent about it and maybe expects a little interaction with the developers does not make them an idiot.

Remember, my first reply from support weeks ago, said the problem was my GPU. So I went and bought a new GPU. I then paid for V18 only 5 weeks after paying for V17 as support told me I had basically missed the time window.

None of this instils confidence. I have never been one to rant or even moan on forums etc. but this all makes me kind of understand why some folks here do it.

And finally, of course all the above is intended with the best possible intention that someone reading will realise that a customer has genuine reason to be a little upset.

Thanks again, P.

pierre-k wrote on 8/15/2020, 3:02 PM

a little upset? that's a lot to put it mildly.

I draw attention to this problem from VP12. Tips like - buy a new card or processor and don't complain, they're really crazy. If you buy everything and still have problems, some of them will advise you to turn off the gpu, including turning off So4.

They don't understand why you're upset and take it as an attack on the team.

However, if the official advice of the team with the purchase of new hardware does not solve your problems, then Magix should bear the consequences and reimburse you for unnecessary costs.

The team does not pay attention to old mistakes at all. Problems with Dram, number of threads, various flickering errors in the image during rendering, occasional problem with wav or mp3 editing. If an individual has a problem then they are ignored. But the team does not realize that not everyone will write here.

There are users who delete Vegas at the first problem and try other software. They have no time and boundless patience like us.

Marco. wrote on 8/15/2020, 3:04 PM

None of what you say about the VCS team is true.

pierre-k wrote on 8/15/2020, 3:16 PM

Before the release of Vp14, the team had to do the first thing - to address all users to report all the various bugs and try to fix them. And only then start releasing more versions. As I say start with a clean table. But that did not happen.

New features inexplicably affect other older ones, and more and more bugs arise. Without devoted fans, many of them will remain hidden.

That is all. This topic made me unnecessarily tired again.

j-v wrote on 8/15/2020, 3:21 PM

This topic made me unnecessarily tired again.

Nobody obliges you to come here (to complain only)

met vriendelijke groet
Marten

Camera : Pan X900, GoPro Hero7 Hero Black, DJI Osmo Pocket, Samsung Galaxy A8
Desktop :MB Gigabyte Z390M, W11 home version 23H2, i7 9700 4.7Ghz,16 DDR4 GB RAM, Gef. GTX 1660 Ti with driver
560.81 Studiodriver and Intel HD graphics 630 with driver 31.0.101.2127
Laptop  :Asus ROG Str G712L, W11 home version 23H2, CPU i7-10875H, 16 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 with Studiodriver 560.81 and Intel UHD Graphics 630 with driver 31.0.101.2127
Vegas software: VP 10 to 21 and VMS(pl) 10,12 to 17.
TV      :LG 4K 55EG960V

My slogan is: BE OR BECOME A STEM CELL DONOR!!! (because it saved my life in 2016)

pierre-k wrote on 8/15/2020, 3:24 PM

If what I wrote is not true, then I am honestly happy. This means that all the errors mentioned are being worked on intensively.

fr0sty wrote on 8/15/2020, 6:27 PM

Marco and Frosty thanks much appreciation and credit to you.

However, with all due respect and as I mentioned numerous times, I work in QA testing myself. I have a history of over 12,000+ (valid) reports with just one of the software companies I work with.

Because of the above I am also well used to the fact that when an "outsider" reports an issue, it sometimes takes time for that info to be taken seriously and given credibility.

My info has been succinct and detailed including videos and screen shots and as much info as was available at the time.

Yet still, nobody has communicated directly with me

I have seen comments on these forums on much smaller and less "significant" posts, from "Vegas" people but none on at all on this thread.

I spent a lot of time and effort tracing this issue and pushing this thread. When I first posted it, it was pretty much ignored. Until I kept adding more info. I have been patient and polite.

A simple message from one of the official Vegas guys and/or a reply from support would have gone a long way.

Even if that message was to simply say "We are aware thank you and you can help is further by doing x y z".

Just because someone has an issue and is persistent about it and maybe expects a little interaction with the developers does not make them an idiot.

Remember, my first reply from support weeks ago, said the problem was my GPU. So I went and bought a new GPU. I then paid for V18 only 5 weeks after paying for V17 as support told me I had basically missed the time window.

None of this instils confidence. I have never been one to rant or even moan on forums etc. but this all makes me kind of understand why some folks here do it.

And finally, of course all the above is intended with the best possible intention that someone reading will realise that a customer has genuine reason to be a little upset.

Thanks again, P.

Your frustration is understandable, however there may be valid reasons they have not yet contacted you. Perhaps they're onto the source of the bug, but have not yet worked out a fix... perhaps they just haven't had time to get to responding to every thread because they're well on the way to having an update out soon that fixes numerous bugs, and aren't checking the forums as frequently as a result. Maybe your thread wasn't near the top when they did have time to respond to some of those others. It's a small team working during a pandemic, they're doing their best.

I do know we've found a way to reproduce this bug on another system using scripts that imitate the behavior described in your post, and I know it's been reported in a place where I know the team will see it, so there's that.

Systems:

Desktop

AMD Ryzen 7 1800x 8 core 16 thread at stock speed

64GB 3000mhz DDR4

Geforce RTX 3090

Windows 10

Laptop:

ASUS Zenbook Pro Duo 32GB (9980HK CPU, RTX 2060 GPU, dual 4K touch screens, main one OLED HDR)

Phil_P wrote on 8/16/2020, 12:34 AM

a little upset? that's a lot to put it mildly.

I'm British

Your frustration is understandable

Yup thank you.

All I can say is that any QA/developer (including me - I also develop small software some of which require support, although I only have a few thousand users) knows that user forums, although sometimes tough and abrasive, will usually give a good idea of issues and complaints. It's not difficult to keep up with new threads daily, using "New Posts" as an entry point to the forum. I do it with many forums, (including this one now), it goes along with the morning email check.

And I have seen posts from Vegas people in the last few days I am not imagining that. Here is one, vey nice chap it seems:

https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/vegas-pro-18-internal-preferences-menu-gone--122757/

Anyhow, thanks again for the positive and calm responses. I certainly don't wan to turn fully in to that guy who moans and complains.

I have made all my points and I guess now will leave it at that.

Cheers and thanks again everyone.

cyro wrote on 8/16/2020, 4:07 PM

Just wanted to say: THANKS Phil_P. I recently ran into the same issue in VP18 and VP17 and it is definitely impacting my workflow and project times while cleaning up audio (de-umming etc.).

Thanks for staying on this and getting it through the initial layer of indifference/non-prioritization, let's hope this gets fixed soon!

VEGAS_EricD wrote on 8/28/2020, 4:13 PM

This is being looked into, and is listed in our issue tracker.

As far as paying attention to old issues - one of the first things we did 4 years ago when VEGAS became a MAGIX IP was to aggregate the old feedback that has been provided on the SCS forums (much of which is archived here) as well as set up an internal escalation path for reporting newly discovered issues through support.

Phil_P wrote on 8/28/2020, 4:53 PM

This is being looked into, and is listed in our issue tracker.

As far as paying attention to old issues - one of the first things we did 4 years ago when VEGAS became a MAGIX IP was to aggregate the old feedback that has been provided on the SCS forums (much of which is archived here) as well as set up an internal escalation path for reporting newly discovered issues through support.

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the message. That is great to hear. If I can help (further) in any way please let me know. :-)

cyro wrote on 9/22/2020, 6:50 PM

Just FYI - This issue is still happening in the latest Build 334, 100% repro after the update.

Phil_P wrote on 9/23/2020, 12:18 AM

Just FYI - This issue is still happening in the latest Build 334, 100% repro after the update.

Thanks for the heads-up. Was just downloading and will check today.

hambonio wrote on 11/2/2020, 8:57 AM

I am not saying this is the solution but definitely was the solution for me (so far). This has been bugging me for years but just kind of accepted it as "it's just Vegas". I transcoded all my footage using MagicYUV - and all of that footage play gloriously and I can play, split, delete, and hop my cursor around to my hearts desire. I TRIED to get it to crash this way, and I could not. Food for thought.

Phil_P wrote on 11/2/2020, 1:42 PM

I am not saying this is the solution but definitely was the solution for me (so far). This has been bugging me for years but just kind of accepted it as "it's just Vegas". I transcoded all my footage using MagicYUV - and all of that footage play gloriously and I can play, split, delete, and hop my cursor around to my hearts desire. I TRIED to get it to crash this way, and I could not. Food for thought.

Hi there, that is a very nice coincidence, I have literally just a few hours ago purchased the full version of Magic YUV, after reading another thread about its virtues.

I will try it for sure.

If time permits, can you explain is there any specific workflow involved? Can you go into a little more detail about exactly how you did this and what settings, please?

Thanks again. P.

hambonio wrote on 11/2/2020, 3:51 PM

If time permits, can you explain is there any specific workflow involved? Can you go into a little more detail about exactly how you did this and what settings, please?

Thanks again. P.

Well - it is all in this post here - a LOT of troubleshooting for me and I think I annoyed a few people but you can read through the posts.

https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/just-ponied-up-for-the-magicyuv-lossless-video-codec-2-0-ultimate-ed--124705/

In the end I found that it was best transcoding all my 8-bit limited footage to 8-bit RGB with full levels on a full level timeline. Don't ask me why, but that is what gave me best results.

For my 10-bit Full range footage I transcoded to YUV 4:2:2 at Full Levels from 32-bit full levels with color transform off.

I am still unsure if this is 100% correct settings, but that is what is working for me.

When I set my preview to Best (Half) I can get 60fps playback in a 60p timeline. This is faster than proxies. I have not tried the 120p footage yet.

I assume you could do 10-bit RGB, and I have tested a couple clips but then the files start to get REALLY huge especially at higher framerates (well - lets be real - all these transcoded files will be huge).

Phil_P wrote on 11/2/2020, 11:20 PM

Thanks for the info, yes I saw that thread. Your comments are very useful. Thanks. Will give it a go and post back.

Monto wrote on 11/23/2020, 11:16 PM

Hey Phil. I've had this problem a lot also. My first Vegas was 14 and it would happen constantly, I moved upto 17 a while back thinking it would fix and had it also happen constantly but got it to stop without knowing why. When I moved upto 18 the problem came back and I've been trying to replicate my settings from 17 to 18. While editing today and getting frustrated with it constantly freezing and locking up on me I went into my "Preferences" and "Preview Device" and saw Scale output to fit display was checked and nothing else was. So I un-checked scale output and checked Optimize GPU display performance, and I have yet to have any lock ups. I hope this helps

The only thing I notice, is after editing for a while. If I try to "Ctrl+Z" while the video is playing and I'm cutting, Vegas will lock up like before and I have to restart Vegas, but if I'm just cutting and moving clips it works fine

Phil_P wrote on 11/24/2020, 1:40 AM

Hi Monto, will also give this a try. Thanks.

pete-g wrote on 1/25/2021, 3:09 AM

Hi just to want to say that I've had the same issue for multiple versions of Magix Vegas now, and I really am at my wits end. As other people have said - the auto ripple bug can be reproduced easily within seconds.

Vegas hangs on me at least once a day, every single time I buy a new version I hope it's finally been fixed, but I am always disappointed. Please please look into this guys. I'm at the point where I feel like giving up.

Phil_P wrote on 1/25/2021, 3:48 AM

I'm at the point where I feel like giving up.

I know what you mean. At least we know from above that it is being looked into. (As of August 2020).

fr0sty wrote on 1/25/2021, 5:07 AM

Also try reducing thumbnails to just "head/tail" or turning them off.

Systems:

Desktop

AMD Ryzen 7 1800x 8 core 16 thread at stock speed

64GB 3000mhz DDR4

Geforce RTX 3090

Windows 10

Laptop:

ASUS Zenbook Pro Duo 32GB (9980HK CPU, RTX 2060 GPU, dual 4K touch screens, main one OLED HDR)