Spot laid up ...

Comments

Editguy43 wrote on 6/17/2009, 3:46 PM
Just read the thread, everyone has the same sentiment and so do I,
I have had a back injury and it is no fun to recover from but it is great that you are still alive.

Best wishes for you and your famlly in this crisis time. Me and My family will be praying for you a speedy recovery...

Paul B

xberk wrote on 6/17/2009, 4:35 PM
Spot -- Man...the first and BEST advice I ever took on this forum was to buy your book! .. That was Vegas 6. You taught me how to composite, do track motion, handle masks and envelopes and cc and on and on -- I guess there is no book on your road ahead. You'll have to write that one too! Just know man that you are LOVED around here and we are all hoping for better days ahead!

Paul

Paul B .. PCI Express Video Card: EVGA VCX 10G-P5-3885-KL GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 ULTRA ,,  Intel Core i9-11900K Desktop Processor ,,  MSI Z590-A PRO Desktop Motherboard LGA-1200 ,, 64GB (2X32GB) XPG GAMMIX D45 DDR4 3200MHz 288-Pin SDRAM PC4-25600 Memory .. Seasonic Power Supply SSR-1000FX Focus Plus 1000W ,, Arctic Liquid Freezer II – 360MM .. Fractal Design case ,, Samsung Solid State Drive MZ-V8P1T0B/AM 980 PRO 1TB PCI Express 4 NVMe M.2 ,, Wundiws 10 .. Vegas Pro 19 Edit

mcvap wrote on 6/17/2009, 4:37 PM
I hope Spot you just fine,wish you fast recovery.

hope we hear just good news from you as usual,

All the best vegas guru.

DrLumen wrote on 6/17/2009, 5:34 PM
You have been much help and great source of info for everyone here. The place won't be the same until you get back on your feet and posting and training!

Try to keep your spirits up and get better soon!

intel i-4790k / Asus Z97 Pro / 32GB Crucial RAM / Nvidia GTX 560Ti / 500GB Samsung SSD / 256 GB Samsung SSD / 2-WDC 4TB Black HDD's / 2-WDC 1TB HDD's / 2-HP 23" Monitors / Various MIDI gear, controllers and audio interfaces

JackW wrote on 6/17/2009, 5:35 PM
Spot:

Sorry to hear of the injuries. We all look forward to your speedy recovery -- hope to see you back on your feet soon.

The Forum ain't the same without you.

Jack
musicvid10 wrote on 6/17/2009, 7:45 PM
Douglas,
Sorry to hear of your injuries.
I have been a huge fan of yours since taking 108 music students to a morning performance you did with the Colorado Symphony Orchestra at Boettcher Concert Hall in the spring of 1996.

That was before I knew that you were involved in video editing. My personal admiration has only grown since then.

Having a nephew who has satisfactorily recovered from apparently similar injuries (from a skiing accident in 2004), I pray and remain optimistic for your recovery. My nephew's experience necessarily excludes the word "speedy" from the above sentiment, yet I remain certain it will be satisfactory. Whoever said "patience is virtue" undoubtedly meant it for times just like this.

Best Regards,
Mark (aka musicvid)
Joe White wrote on 6/17/2009, 10:57 PM
Get well soon Spot.
NickHope wrote on 6/18/2009, 12:01 AM
Thinking of you Spot, here in Bangkok. I can't even imagine what you're going through right now but stay strong and best wishes for your recovery. Nick
Spot|DSE wrote on 6/18/2009, 7:54 AM
Xberk,
Once I'm out of the drug-hell I'm in, the Vegas 9 book (already started) will be completed. Right now everything is double/triple vision.

I was released from Trauma ICU on Wednesday after having been there for 10 days.
Initial injury presentations:
Complete split of pelvic system, upper separation of 4.8", lower separation of 2.21. Rods, screws, plates now hold that all together.
Bladder perforations, now repaired with mesh supporters.
L1, 2,3 all fractured, but all fractures are anterior so not a threat to spinal cord.Sacrum is gone, sciatic nerve has some nasty damage.
Lotsa small rocks still coming out of various parts of my body (ears, eyes, nose, cuts, etc).
ACL/MCL are both gone on right leg, MCL on left. I hope to have cadaver ACL replacement in around 12-14 weeks, so if you happen o have a healthy trackstar.....;-) (Just kidding)
Biggest pain of all are the toxin filters on the liver and the bladder bag/catheter keep airlocking (whis is really painful).
All in alli, it's an adjustment that I'm learning to cope with. We'd tried to initially keep the incident quiet, but then someone posted about it on FACEBOOK, so....here we are.
The outpouring of kind words, letters, emails, cards and very kind thoughts, prayers, and expressions of appreciation for my contributions to this and other communities have been inspiring, and tremendously beautiful (not to mention overwhelming).
They say I'll be walking in another couple weeks, and perhaps some mild jogging in about six weeks.

Thanks ever so much for the tremendous show of support. This forum never ceases to amaze me.
I can't thank everyone personally, there are too many, so please accept this post as a show of gratitude (my keyboard is now soggy and sticky from the tears as I think of y'all.
And Bob, I finally ate the last of the Snickers in celebration for being released from ICU, once they knew for certain I wasn't gonna die. Thanks for that.
John Gordon wrote on 6/18/2009, 8:03 AM
good news to hear Spot, I will continue to keep you in my thoughts and pray for your speedy recovery.

John Gordon
Virginia Beach, VA
gpsmikey wrote on 6/18/2009, 8:04 AM
Spot - glad to see you have a positive attitude - you are one tough dude !!!
those are some serious injuries. Then there is the high you get the first time you can take a nice shower without all the things connected to you !

Hope it only gets better for you from here and looking forward to the new book !

mikey
MUTTLEY wrote on 6/18/2009, 8:53 AM
I've refrained till now on commenting on this. Though I've had some brief words with ya Spot whats the fun of getting banged up without people getting sappy publicly?

Early on you encouraged me long before I had even the slightest grasp of what I was doing. I was excited, I was pretty determined, I was a little cocky but I was passionate. Not sure what ya saw in me but I looked up to you and your kind words meant the world. Honestly I think I would have given up by now if you weren't there on so many occasions on IM or phone to reassure me that I had some kind of talent and I shouldn't throw in the towel just yet. I don't even know how to express what this has meant to me.

I've told you time and again your my mentor, that's as true today as it was when you first helped me back in the day. I already confessed that I cried when I heard the news, I don't do that very often and even rarer do I concede it on a public forum, like ever! But I have such deep and profound respect and admiration for you and I honestly would be lost without you. Thank God your alright, well, not alright but at least that it wasn't as bad as it could have been. I can't imagine not having the security of DSE on my messaging that I can turn turn to when I'm in way over my head again (and it will happen again).

Anything you need, ask, I'll be there for you as readily as you have been for me. I love ya man so chin up and get through this.

And now that my keyboard is as equally tear stained I'll close.

In my prayers.

- Ray
reberclark wrote on 6/18/2009, 9:42 AM
"Jogging in six weeks..." man that is amazing! I am so glad you're pulling through and that you have a positive outlook. Sounds like your med team knows what they're doing as well.

You, your book and your counsel have been a constant and open source of friendly and accurate advice for me since I started on this video journey.

Please take good care and here's hoping for a speedy and happy recovery!
VideoArizona wrote on 6/18/2009, 1:49 PM
Spot,

All the best from Sunny Phoenix!

Get well soon and do those exercises in PT!!!
You'll be back in no time!

Best,
David Jon Devoucoux
Jay Gladwell wrote on 6/18/2009, 3:53 PM

As usual. I'm late to the party.

Douglas, I'm truly sorry to hear about your injuries. You'll be in our prayers for a speedy recovery!

[r]Evolution wrote on 6/18/2009, 4:30 PM
Best wishes from Orange County, CA (planet9productions)
You're in our prayers.

Get well soon!
Ecquillii wrote on 6/18/2009, 5:55 PM
Spot

How sad I was to hear of your serious injuries. And how glad to hear that you are recovering and able to maintain a healing attitude. You are a rare bird that has taught us all how to fly. And we watch for you to take flight again.

I hear in the words of your forum friends—those you know and those you don’t—that you are surrounded by a community of deep care.

Tim Robertson

Desktop:ASUS M32CD

Version of Vegas: VEGAS Pro Version 20.0 (Build 370)
Windows Version: Windows 10 Home (x64) Version 21H2 (build 19044.2846)
Cameras: Canon T2i (MOV), Sony HDR-CX405 (MP4), Lumia 950XL, Samsung A8, Panasonic HC-V785 (MP4)
Delivery Destination: YouTube, USB Drive, DVD/BD

Processor: 3.40 gigahertz Intel Core i7-6700
RAM: 16 Gigabytes
Graphics Card 1: AMD Radeon R9 370; Driver Version: 15.200.1065.0
Graphics Card 2: Intel HD Graphics 530; Driver Version: 31.0.101.2111
GPU acceleration of video processing: Optimal - AMD Radeon R9 370
Enable Hardware Decoding for supported formats: 'Enable legacy AVC' is off; 'Enable legacy HEVC' is on
Hardware Decoder to Use: Auto (Off)

Serena wrote on 6/18/2009, 10:00 PM
Hi Spot,
So glad to hear you in good spirits and looks like you'll be back on your feet in surprisingly short time. One thing I'm curious about is you knocking out your S1-5 but not the L5/4. Have you counted correctly? Vertebra are counted downwards, so the L5 abuts the S1 and I expected the L5, L4, L3 to be those damaged by a thump on the bottom (rather than L1-3). Or did you hit a rock? Anyway, it's a cheek for me to ask, so you can ignore that! We tall oldies get trouble in the S1/L5 which seems to progress with ageing upwards through the chain.
So, on with that jogging and I guess you'll be back skydiving remarkably soon.
UlfLaursen wrote on 6/18/2009, 10:07 PM
Glad to hear from you, Spot. Hang in there man :-)

/Ulf
TShaw wrote on 6/18/2009, 10:36 PM
Spot,

Glad to hear you are in one peice.

Again!

Terry
akwaaba wrote on 6/19/2009, 12:23 AM
Just logged on after a week away.....so glad you survived the jump Spot, keep us posted. Thanks for the work on the new book. Cheers chris
JJKizak wrote on 6/19/2009, 5:29 AM
I am hopefull that the doctors involved are as talented and professional as you are in video/audio editing. Get well soon.
JJK
Yarin VooDoo wrote on 6/19/2009, 8:15 AM
Spot, I hope you will be well and again on the road as soon as possible.
Also from Italy we are all with you!

Ciao
michaelshive wrote on 6/19/2009, 9:36 AM
Love the positive attidue Spot - my thoughts are with you.

"Sunshine and warm water seem to me to have full meaning only when they come after winter's bite; green is not so green if it doesn't follow the months of brown and gray." - John Graves