In addition to making the transition to Vegas 15 thanks to the latest update, I'm reassessing my storage setup and wondering what others use and what I'm thinking for the upgrade myself.
My current configuration for storage devices is as follows:
- Crucial 240GB Boot/Programs drive
- WD 640GB 7200RPM Black Drive for all Project files and Renders
- 2x1TB WD 7200RPM Black laptop drives Mini Raid 0 in an Akitio enclosure attached via eSata card
- Seagate 160GB 7200RPM for all media cache and temp files
My thinking is to move as much as possible to SSD's but not sure still - the read/write for my single SSD is off the chart compared to my spinning HD's according to AJA's system test app. My SSD read/write is basically 500MB/sec, where as my mini RAID0 clocks in at about 1/4 that! My concern is the read/write lifespan of SSD's.
My thinking for the storage medium upgrade is as follows:
- Crucial 240GB for boot drive (Already using)
- Crucial 500GB SSD for Project files/final Renders
- Crucial 2x1TB SSD's in eSata/USB 3.1 mini Raid enclosure for all assets
- Crucial 120GB SSD for media cache/temp files
I'm thinking to repurpose the spinning drives for archiving completed projects in addition to using a couple of WD 4TB Red drives for weekly offsite rotating backup.
I'm still editing 1080p footage and do plan to move to 4K later this year hence the idea of moving to SSD's.
What are others using and what are your thoughts on this configuration?