Super Loud Blip Sound on Clip Start/End on occasion

shovel wrote on 7/10/2023, 2:25 PM

Does anyone know if there is a way to get around this bug in Vegas Pro 19 where it blasts a super loud blip at the start and end of clips on the timeline. It doesn't happen on every clip, but quite often. These are video clips that have no audio in them. It is being generated in Vegas. It took a screenshot of how loud the sound is. Its dead silent (since no sound in the clips) but during playback as soon as it goes over the start and end of a clip it blips

If i move the clip and put it back, sometimes it stops making the sound. So I can't really do anything to replicate it on purpose. Vegas just does it whenever it decides to. Its very annoying. It has done this since 19 was released all the way to now with the latest update. Makes me hesitant to spend any money on upgrading if this kind of ear damaging bug is going to still be present.

Comments

Former user wrote on 7/10/2023, 2:47 PM

@shovel Hi, there's been a few variations of similar problems posted on here, If you zoom in on the event can you see the noise in the audio wave? & no I don't believe there is a solution, partly because as you say it's hard to recreate https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/noise-at-the-end-of-a-clip--140457/

rraud wrote on 7/10/2023, 4:10 PM

If there is an audio file which has no sound, remove the track or the audio event. If there is sound, the start point may not be at a 'zero crossing' point on the waveform. Create a fade-in and fade out to the event. A few milliseconds should be sufficient.

john_dennis wrote on 7/10/2023, 4:59 PM

@shovel said: "Makes me hesitant to spend any money on upgrading if this kind of ear damaging bug is going to still be present."

As a user of Sonic Foundry, Sony and Magix products for audio since the mid 1990s, no one on the planet is more annoyed by such malfeasance with audio at this late state of the game.

That said, I never encounter the problem in my daily work for two major reasons:

1. I use camera files that don't exhibit the problem.
  2. I never render anything to AVC/AAC in an mp4 container to put back on to the Vegas Pro timeline.

I only see the problem when I do testing for others, but I still want to see it fixed enough to test it every time a new version and build is announced. At this late date in the 19 development, the fix will likely be part of a new version and will have an upgrade charge.

shovel wrote on 7/10/2023, 5:23 PM

@shovel Hi, there's been a few variations of similar problems posted on here, If you zoom in on the event can you see the noise in the audio wave? & no I don't believe there is a solution, partly because as you say it's hard to recreate https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/noise-at-the-end-of-a-clip--140457/

I don't see anything. It is silent so only a flat line. But its also not making that blip either. I tried reloading the project without saving any changes (so i could load the version that did had the issue), but its not there. I guess I'll have to zoom in and look again next time Vegas generates the blips.

That's encouraging though if other people have run into similar. Then hopefully they at least know about it and fix it. But so far it is not fixed in July 2023 Vegas Pro 19. It says they fixed it already in the link you posted even though its not.

shovel wrote on 7/10/2023, 5:29 PM

If there is an audio file which has no sound, remove the track or the audio event. If there is sound, the start point may not be at a 'zero crossing' point on the waveform. Create a fade-in and fade out to the event. A few milliseconds should be sufficient.

That's a logical solution, but the problem isn't there...until it is...and then its gone again. Im only working with previs animations which I render on the fly and need to throw on a timeline to edit. Just kind of a pain to have to edit out the no-audio. Its only audible during playback, but ive never had the issue when exporting video from Vegas. Its some kind of real-time issues Vegas has I think.

shovel wrote on 7/10/2023, 5:38 PM

@shovel said: "Makes me hesitant to spend any money on upgrading if this kind of ear damaging bug is going to still be present."

As a user of Sonic Foundry, Sony and Magix products for audio since the mid 1990s, no one on the planet is more annoyed by such malfeasance with audio at this late state of the game.

That said, I never encounter the problem in my daily work for two major reasons:

1. I use camera files that don't exhibit the problem.
  2. I never render anything to AVC/AAC in an mp4 container to put back on to the Vegas Pro timeline.

I only see the problem when I do testing for others, but I still want to see it fixed enough to test it every time a new version and build is announced. At this late date in the 19 development, the fix will likely be part of a new version and will have an upgrade charge.

Interesting. Yea the clips im using are H264 mp4 (AVS/AAC). Its only for Previz render editing. The final would be image sequence renders. Just annoying though as this shouldn't be a problem. Vegas is the only editor Ive used that adds blip sounds to silent video clips. I can open the same session in Vegas (unchanged) and the blip sounds won't be there next time. For example: Right now the same session is fine. No blips. But it is a little scary to be editing as I don't know when its going to surprise me and blast the sounds. Need to keep my ears safe. My Tinnitus is already not doing well.

DeVinci Resolve is looking mighty fine right now 😔 just don't want to have to re-buy RSMB

Former user wrote on 7/10/2023, 6:47 PM

Just kind of a pain to have to edit out the no-audio. Its only audible during playback, but ive never had the issue when exporting video from Vegas. Its some kind of real-time issues Vegas has I think.

You're in for a surprise, it affects the encode too, but maybe due to the randomness you have been lucky or maybe it's due to the distorted audio appearing where this is no audio track which I've also seen, infact no audio or video, at the end of the timeline. The very loud static/distortion is thought to be a tiny segment of audio from another part of the timeline played back loud and distorted in another part.

The loud blips is different but most likely if they ever fix your problem they will likely fix both. The blips move around and appear in other places and also create the distorted audio at the end(from another part of the timeline) like you're seeing except it's not ear piercingly loud (that Ive seen/heard)

shovel wrote on 8/14/2023, 7:51 AM

There it is again. this cursed Vegas Pro bug.

How many more years before they consider fixing it? This should be a fix rolled out to older versions too. Its pretty ridiculous. This software is way too expensive to have issues like this be ignored

bitman wrote on 8/14/2023, 8:07 AM

I had the same issue very recent in a VP20 project, I installed VP21 just now, I wonder if they fixed it yet, at present I cannot find a list with solved bugs for VP21.

Last changed by bitman on 8/14/2023, 8:07 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

APPS: VIDEO: VP 365 (21 - build 315), VP 365 20, VP 19 post (latest build -651), (uninstalled VP 12,13,14,15,16 Suite,17, VP18 post), Vegasaur, a lot of NEWBLUE plugins, Mercalli 6.0, Respeedr, Vasco Da Gamma 16 HDpro XXL, Boris Continuum 2024, Davinci Resolve Studio 18, SOUND: RX 10 advanced Audio Editor, Sound Forge Pro 17, Spectral Layers Pro 10, Audacity, FOTO: Zoner, DXO, Luminar, Topaz...

• CPU: i9-13900K (upgraded my former CPU i9-12900K), Air Cooler: Noctua NH-D15s
  • RAM: DDR5 Corsair 64GB (5600-40 Vengeance)
  • Graphics card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3090 TUF OC GAMING (24GB) 
  • Monitor: LG 38 inch ultra-wide (21x9) - Resolution: 3840x1600
  • C-drive: Corsair MP600 PRO XT NVMe SSD 4TB (PCIe Gen. 4)
  • Video drives: Samsung NVMe SSD 2TB (980 pro and 970 EVO plus) each 2TB
  • Mass Data storage & Backup: WD gold 6TB + WD Yellow 4TB
  • MOBO: Gigabyte Z690 AORUS MASTER
  • PSU: Corsair HX1500i, Case: Fractal Design Define 7 (PCGH edition)
  • Misc.: Logitech G915, Evoluent Vertical Mouse, shuttlePROv2

jetdv wrote on 8/14/2023, 2:46 PM

I had the same issue very recent in a VP20 project, I installed VP21 just now, I wonder if they fixed it yet, at present I cannot find a list with solved bugs for VP21.

@bitman, I still have this issue in 21.

shovel wrote on 8/14/2023, 5:27 PM

They left the bug alone even in v21?
Do the devs read the comments?
Do they care about this at all?

I'm frustrated and regretting the investment into Vegas Pro Suite.
I can't justify spending another dime on this if they won't even fix a basic known use issue after so many versions.

fr0sty wrote on 8/14/2023, 5:46 PM

The one thing I've noticed about the reports of this bug is that nobody can make it happen every time... sometimes just changing the track the audio file is on fixes it... The fact that it pops up so intermittently is likely why it is so difficult to isolate exactly what is causing it. None the less, I've brought it up to the team to try to get some clarification.

Last changed by fr0sty on 8/14/2023, 5:47 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

Systems:

Desktop

AMD Ryzen 7 1800x 8 core 16 thread at stock speed

64GB 3000mhz DDR4

Geforce RTX 3090

Windows 10

Laptop:

ASUS Zenbook Pro Duo 32GB (9980HK CPU, RTX 2060 GPU, dual 4K touch screens, main one OLED HDR)

shovel wrote on 8/14/2023, 7:14 PM

The one thing I've noticed about the reports of this bug is that nobody can make it happen every time... sometimes just changing the track the audio file is on fixes it... The fact that it pops up so intermittently is likely why it is so difficult to isolate exactly what is causing it. None the less, I've brought it up to the team to try to get some clarification.

Right. But it happens often enough. I can't do it on demand. And even if it is moved to another track, its going to happen again on that track at some point too. And it happens on clips that have already been living in edits on the timeline without distorted blips. So then I have to do extra work to search for them and try to fix it manually. Its a lot of headache.

If I close it all down and come back to it the next day, there it is. Half the clips have distortion. Ive noticed once in a while clips will automatically have an audio fade at the end too that I didn't put there. I was a little annoyed by those. I wonder if that was their attempt at "fixing" it (it doesn't fix it), but I can't confirm.

shovel wrote on 8/14/2023, 7:21 PM

Despite my personal frustration with this, if there is a way I might be able to help in pinning down the bug so it can be fixed Im absolutely open to being part of the solution.

jetdv wrote on 8/14/2023, 7:57 PM

@fr0sty, it happens every time for me with footage rendered out of VEGAS dropped at the end and beginning of our YouTube videos.

fr0sty wrote on 8/14/2023, 8:09 PM

I did reach out to the team to see if I could get some clarity on why this is still a problem, they've gone home for the day, but I'll let you know as soon as I hear from them. Or perhaps one of them will chime in.

shovel wrote on 8/15/2023, 12:16 AM

I did reach out to the team to see if I could get some clarity on why this is still a problem, they've gone home for the day, but I'll let you know as soon as I hear from them. Or perhaps one of them will chime in.

Thank you. I def appreciate you forwarding the issue.

bitman wrote on 8/15/2023, 3:15 AM

@jetdv Thanks for info, it is a pity it is still not solved. Annoying as it is, it is not blocking, as there is a workaround, but it is a fairly serious timewaster for sure, not to mention the unprofessional result if yo do not catch it - and that all should pump it up the priority list to solve.

I know from experience things will not get solved in software any time soon by the developers if the issue is difficult to reproduce, even if it happens frequently. So if someone has a 100% way of reproducing - try to forward the method and source material to the developers.

APPS: VIDEO: VP 365 (21 - build 315), VP 365 20, VP 19 post (latest build -651), (uninstalled VP 12,13,14,15,16 Suite,17, VP18 post), Vegasaur, a lot of NEWBLUE plugins, Mercalli 6.0, Respeedr, Vasco Da Gamma 16 HDpro XXL, Boris Continuum 2024, Davinci Resolve Studio 18, SOUND: RX 10 advanced Audio Editor, Sound Forge Pro 17, Spectral Layers Pro 10, Audacity, FOTO: Zoner, DXO, Luminar, Topaz...

• CPU: i9-13900K (upgraded my former CPU i9-12900K), Air Cooler: Noctua NH-D15s
  • RAM: DDR5 Corsair 64GB (5600-40 Vengeance)
  • Graphics card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3090 TUF OC GAMING (24GB) 
  • Monitor: LG 38 inch ultra-wide (21x9) - Resolution: 3840x1600
  • C-drive: Corsair MP600 PRO XT NVMe SSD 4TB (PCIe Gen. 4)
  • Video drives: Samsung NVMe SSD 2TB (980 pro and 970 EVO plus) each 2TB
  • Mass Data storage & Backup: WD gold 6TB + WD Yellow 4TB
  • MOBO: Gigabyte Z690 AORUS MASTER
  • PSU: Corsair HX1500i, Case: Fractal Design Define 7 (PCGH edition)
  • Misc.: Logitech G915, Evoluent Vertical Mouse, shuttlePROv2

shovel wrote on 8/15/2023, 7:55 AM

@jetdv Thanks for info, it is a pity it is still not solved. Annoying as it is, it is not blocking, as there is a workaround, but it is a fairly serious timewaster for sure, not to mention the unprofessional result if yo do not catch it - and that all should pump it up the priority list to solve.

I know from experience things will not get solved in software any time soon by the developers if the issue is difficult to reproduce, even if it happens frequently. So if someone has a 100% way of reproducing - try to forward the method and source material to the developers.

Don't they have a QA team who's job is to test and investigates issues? I can give more info about my system and video files if they needed it.

fr0sty wrote on 8/15/2023, 12:38 PM

Yes, and I am part of that team. We've reported this issue to the developers, and successfully reproduced it on multiple machines, so hopefully we can get a fix in before too long.

Systems:

Desktop

64GB 3000mhz DDR4

Geforce RTX 3090

Windows 10

Laptop:

ASUS Zenbook Pro Duo 32GB (9980HK CPU, RTX 2060 GPU, dual 4K touch screens, main one OLED HDR)

RogerS wrote on 8/15/2023, 10:04 PM

Isn't QA separate from beta testing?

Custom PC (2022) Intel i5-13600K with UHD 770 iGPU with latest driver, MSI z690 Tomahawk motherboard, 64GB Corsair DDR5 5200 ram, NVIDIA 2080 Super (8GB) with latest studio driver, 2TB Hynix P41 SSD, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit

Dell XPS 15 laptop (2017) 32GB ram, NVIDIA 1050 (4GB) with latest studio driver, Intel i7-7700HQ with Intel 630 iGPU (latest available driver), dual internal SSD (1TB; 1TB), Windows 10 64 bit

VEGAS Pro 19.651
VEGAS Pro 20.411
VEGAS Pro 21.208

Try the
VEGAS 4K "sample project" benchmark (works with VP 16+): https://forms.gle/ypyrrbUghEiaf2aC7
VEGAS Pro 20 "Ad" benchmark (works with VP 20+): https://forms.gle/eErJTR87K2bbJc4Q7

fr0sty wrote on 8/15/2023, 10:17 PM

Closed beta testers can be considered to be an extension of the QA team, but yes, QA is its own department.

Last changed by fr0sty on 8/15/2023, 10:18 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

Systems:

Desktop

64GB 3000mhz DDR4

Geforce RTX 3090

Windows 10

Laptop:

shovel wrote on 8/17/2023, 4:19 PM

It just happened again. These are the steps I took.
1. Open Vegas Pro
2. Open existing session
3. Drag & Drop mp4 file into Vegas Pro and add it to timeline. (can't remember if it was into the media pool or directly onto the timeline). This is when the sfk file is generated.
4. Spacebar to playback. Enjoy the distorted blips.

I tried adding more mp4 files to both media pool and timeline but distortion was no longer added.

Question: What exactly is the sfk file Vegas generates when an mp4 is added and does it have to do with the files cache at all?

Out of two mp4 files added, one of them distorted. I opened both sfk files in notepad++ out of curiosity. The one that is not distorted shows "NULL NULL NULL...: throughout the whole file. The one that distorted has weird characters at the end.

sfk from clip with no distortion.

sfk from clip with distorted blip at the end

It would probably need more thorough testing to find out if there is a consistent correlation between clips with and without distortion.
If there is, what is the nature of how Vegas interacts with them? And if a file was fine before, then gets distorted in a later session, does the file update with mangled characters at the end of the sfk file?
If so, is this bug happened when Vegas reads the mp4, including when it opened the .veg session at a later time? Things someone on the inside would need to look into probably.

EricLNZ wrote on 8/17/2023, 6:20 PM

What exactly is the sfk file Vegas generates

It's the file that displays the waveform on the timeline. They are created for all audio files, not just mp4. Also for camera audio streams.