Noise at the end of a clip

Former user wrote on 2/17/2023, 4:58 PM

Hi, sorry been poorly & in hospital for a mth so I've got some catching up to do,

This noise at the end of the audio was posted about several times last yr but did this ever get fixed or a reason found, ?

PS, forgot to say I dragged it onto the timeline initially from a Windows folder & the result with the noise is the picture above, but when I dragged that event to a lower track the noise went away🤷‍♂️

Comments

john_dennis wrote on 2/17/2023, 5:08 PM

@Former user

It wasn't fixed as of 2023-02-04.

https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/vegas-pro-365-audio-glitch-anomalies--139418/#ca871660

Former user wrote on 2/17/2023, 5:12 PM

@john_dennis Yep I remember that one, some posts were either noise at the end, or a little bit of the audio from the clip 🤷‍♂️

RonB_USA wrote on 2/17/2023, 8:00 PM

Yes, I get that also. Just a loud pop at the very end of the audio file. Even the old audio files that were archived perfectly. Easy to trim it, but frustrating. Sorry, I didn't see this problem posted before. Just confirming here. Thanks, Gid and john_dennis.

RonB_USA

RonB_USA

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Dual Monitors: Now have TWO Samsung 4K 27-in (3840x2160) monitors both using DisplayPort

Desktop Sound: Stereo speakers with sub-woofer. Headphones. Earbuds.

VEGAS Pro 21.0, version 208. Have used VEGAS Pro since Sony days. Movie Studio also.

Voukoder 1.7.1.0

Source Footage: Mostly XAVC-S 4K MP4 with some MTS HD at times. Have used Samsung S21Ultra 5G footage.

Some upscaling of older videos. Many videos are more than 10 years old. Trying to learn more color correction and grading techniques. Any help with flicker reduction without motion blur is welcome!

Motherboard: ASUS PRIME X299-A II (3.7GHz)

CPU: Intel i9-10920X 12 Core 24 Thread

GPU: Quadro RTX-4000 8GB

RAM: 64GB DDR4

C-Drive SSD: M.2 2TB + Video SSDs: Two M.2 2TB + Internal HDDs: Several TB + External HDDs + External SSDs

jetdv wrote on 2/18/2023, 7:54 AM

Mine's a loud "pop" at the end. Have to cut off about 2 frames to eliminate it. However, it appears to behave differently if I start a new project and just open that one clip vs I've done my full edit and add that clip to the end of the project (I notice it most on my "closing" video file). Totally different results!

Grazie wrote on 2/18/2023, 8:20 AM

Yup, it springs into action when I last expect it to. Pesky Squeek or Rasp.

Scott-Walker7623 wrote on 4/4/2023, 6:16 PM

Still not fixed. Magix! Please get on this. It is still happening with files I have newly rendered in VP 20. There is no way we should be paying good money for a program that fails on such a basic level. If anyone has a suggestion on how best to get Magix's attention on this, I am all ears.

bitman wrote on 4/5/2023, 2:13 AM

Same issue here, I usually fix it by ungrouping the audio from the video and shorten the audio at the end with a few frames. This workaround should not be necessary- quite annoying you have to do this kind of stuff.

This audio issue warrants a hotfix, together with other audio issues (like VST3 issues). Please focus on Audio fixes first.

At the forum moderators: this should be tagged Audio!

APPS: VIDEO: VP 365 (21 - build 315), VP 365 20, VP 19 post (latest build -651), (uninstalled VP 12,13,14,15,16 Suite,17, VP18 post), Vegasaur, a lot of NEWBLUE plugins, Mercalli 6.0, Respeedr, Vasco Da Gamma 16 HDpro XXL, Boris Continuum 2024, Davinci Resolve Studio 18, SOUND: RX 10 advanced Audio Editor, Sound Forge Pro 17, Spectral Layers Pro 10, Audacity, FOTO: Zoner, DXO, Luminar, Topaz...

• CPU: i9-13900K (upgraded my former CPU i9-12900K), Air Cooler: Noctua NH-D15s
  • RAM: DDR5 Corsair 64GB (5600-40 Vengeance)
  • Graphics card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3090 TUF OC GAMING (24GB) 
  • Monitor: LG 38 inch ultra-wide (21x9) - Resolution: 3840x1600
  • C-drive: Corsair MP600 PRO XT NVMe SSD 4TB (PCIe Gen. 4)
  • Video drives: Samsung NVMe SSD 2TB (980 pro and 970 EVO plus) each 2TB
  • Mass Data storage & Backup: WD gold 6TB + WD Yellow 4TB
  • MOBO: Gigabyte Z690 AORUS MASTER
  • PSU: Corsair HX1500i, Case: Fractal Design Define 7 (PCGH edition)
  • Misc.: Logitech G915, Evoluent Vertical Mouse, shuttlePROv2

vkmast wrote on 4/5/2023, 2:46 AM

@bitman Now moved to the Audio sub-forum. Thanks for pointing this out and sorry we failed to notice it at the time.

jetdv wrote on 4/5/2023, 8:07 AM

Same issue here, I usually fix it by ungrouping the audio from the video and shorten the audio at the end with a few frames. This workaround should not be necessary- quite annoying you have to do this kind of stuff.

I just hold down the SHIFT key and shorten the audio. No need to "ungroup" - just shorten the audio. It's usually 2 or 3 frames for me...

Colin-Anderton wrote on 4/7/2023, 10:17 AM

The simple solution I find is to click the middle box at top right of screen (the one that is there with any programme) so it puts the programme down into the bottom bar, click the Vegas Pro icon, and the edit screen appears again. Wait till the blue circle stops spinning (two seconds or so) and the noise disappears.

I don't pretend to know why it works, but it's quicker than the other solutions mentioned here. Hope this helps.

jetdv wrote on 4/7/2023, 11:07 AM

The simple solution I find is to click the middle box at top right of screen (the one that is there with any programme) so it puts the programme down into the bottom bar, click the Vegas Pro icon, and the edit screen appears again. Wait till the blue circle stops spinning (two seconds or so) and the noise disappears.

I don't pretend to know why it works, but it's quicker than the other solutions mentioned here. Hope this helps.

Makes absolutely no difference in my testing. Still get the pop at the end.

bitman wrote on 4/10/2023, 2:35 AM

I just hold down the SHIFT key and shorten the audio. No need to "ungroup" - just shorten the audio. It's usually 2 or 3 frames for me...

@jetdv Thanks for the tip!

APPS: VIDEO: VP 365 (21 - build 315), VP 365 20, VP 19 post (latest build -651), (uninstalled VP 12,13,14,15,16 Suite,17, VP18 post), Vegasaur, a lot of NEWBLUE plugins, Mercalli 6.0, Respeedr, Vasco Da Gamma 16 HDpro XXL, Boris Continuum 2024, Davinci Resolve Studio 18, SOUND: RX 10 advanced Audio Editor, Sound Forge Pro 17, Spectral Layers Pro 10, Audacity, FOTO: Zoner, DXO, Luminar, Topaz...

• CPU: i9-13900K (upgraded my former CPU i9-12900K), Air Cooler: Noctua NH-D15s
  • RAM: DDR5 Corsair 64GB (5600-40 Vengeance)
  • Graphics card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3090 TUF OC GAMING (24GB) 
  • Monitor: LG 38 inch ultra-wide (21x9) - Resolution: 3840x1600
  • C-drive: Corsair MP600 PRO XT NVMe SSD 4TB (PCIe Gen. 4)
  • Video drives: Samsung NVMe SSD 2TB (980 pro and 970 EVO plus) each 2TB
  • Mass Data storage & Backup: WD gold 6TB + WD Yellow 4TB
  • MOBO: Gigabyte Z690 AORUS MASTER
  • PSU: Corsair HX1500i, Case: Fractal Design Define 7 (PCGH edition)
  • Misc.: Logitech G915, Evoluent Vertical Mouse, shuttlePROv2

Scott-Walker7623 wrote on 7/1/2023, 11:47 AM

Maybe I'm spoiled. I use Reaper as my main DAW (after using Vegas for many years, which is part of why I still have such an affinity for it as an NLE and really don't want to stop using it). They have a VERY small dev team and if I had posted about an issue with it at the same time as I posted my above comment here, it would have been fixed by now.

Now, do I expect Magix to issue constant updates? No. But should they be able to patch an issue that did not exist for the previous 19 (edit:18!) versions? After it has been known for how many months now? That is a basic functional failure of an NLE? YES. Yes, they should.

Really, none of us should be putting up with this. The project I am trying to finish right now will require HUNDREDS of extra edits because of this issue.

How do we actually get someone's attention at Magix?

Scott-Walker7623 wrote on 7/2/2023, 8:28 AM

Installed latest "Major Program Update", Build 411. Problem persists.

Scott-Walker7623 wrote on 7/2/2023, 8:39 AM

It's even on stills with no audio.

Grazie wrote on 7/2/2023, 8:52 AM

It's even on stills with no audio.

@Scott-Walker7623 - What can I say?

Former user wrote on 7/2/2023, 8:31 PM

I think this is a similar problem, only it shows it'self a little differently, I tested this with VP20 402/403 with the current Nvidia driver and windows update of that time, and tested it today. Nothing has changed. These are tiktok videos, they are very good at triggering the problem. In this example the distortion is at the beginning of some of the clips.

I play it twice, some loud distortion which is quite similar in the first play through, but the 2nd play it's a lot better, but I think that could just be random, distortion could stay, get worse, go away, come back. I haven't tested it enough to know.

Format                                   : AAC LC SBR PS
Format/Info                              : Advanced Audio Codec Low Complexity with Spectral Band Replication and Parametric Stereo
Commercial name                          : HE-AACv2
Format settings                          : NBC
Codec ID                                 : mp4a-40-29
Bit rate mode                            : Constant
Bit rate                                 : 32.0 kb/s
Channel(s)                               : 2 channels
Channel layout                           : C
Sampling rate                            : 44.1 kHz
Frame rate                               : 21.533 FPS (2048 SPF)

Former user wrote on 7/3/2023, 9:35 PM

If anyone wants to test if they can get rid of the distortion you can try with this file https://www.dropbox.com/s/c45jaq8loq1q4wd/Snaptik_7010791546534579461_momentsgang.mp4?dl=0

I get 2 different results, where the distortion is at different places. Seems to only be the 2 different versions, so not completely random (in my testing)

Using VST's doesn't seem to help or hinder

john_dennis wrote on 7/4/2023, 1:48 AM

@Former user

I can get rid of the distortion in two notes...

Vegas falls down on the original frankenfile.

Original File Mediainfo

General
Complete name                            : C:\Users\John\Downloads\Snaptik_7010791546534579461_momentsgang.mp4
Format                                   : MPEG-4
Format profile                           : Base Media
Codec ID                                 : isom (isom/iso2/avc1/mp41)
File size                                : 1.45 MiB
Duration                                 : 9 s 518 ms
Overall bit rate                         : 1 274 kb/s
Frame rate                               : 30.000 FPS
encoder                                  : Lavf58.45.100

Video
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : AVC
Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                           : High@L3.1
Format settings                          : CABAC / 5 Ref Frames
Format settings, CABAC                   : Yes
Format settings, Reference frames        : 5 frames
Codec ID                                 : avc1
Codec ID/Info                            : Advanced Video Coding
Duration                                 : 9 s 334 ms
Bit rate                                 : 1 259 kb/s
Width                                    : 576 pixels
Height                                   : 1 024 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 0.562
Frame rate mode                          : Constant
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Bit depth                                : 8 bits
Scan type                                : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.071
Stream size                              : 1.40 MiB (97%)
Writing library                          : x264 core 148
Encoding settings                        : cabac=1 / ref=5 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=hex / subme=8 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=2 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=32 / lookahead_threads=5 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=50 / rc=crf / mbtree=1 / crf=24.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / vbv_maxrate=4000 / vbv_bufsize=8000 / crf_max=0.0 / nal_hrd=none / filler=0 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00
Color range                              : Limited
Color primaries                          : BT.709
Transfer characteristics                 : BT.709
Matrix coefficients                      : BT.709
Codec configuration box                  : avcC

Audio
ID                                       : 2
Format                                   : AAC LC SBR PS
Format/Info                              : Advanced Audio Codec Low Complexity with Spectral Band Replication and Parametric Stereo
Commercial name                          : HE-AACv2
Format settings                          : NBC
Codec ID                                 : mp4a-40-29
Duration                                 : 9 s 518 ms
Duration_LastFrame                       : -3 ms
Bit rate mode                            : Constant
Bit rate                                 : 32.2 kb/s
Channel(s)                               : 2 channels
Channel layout                           : M
Sampling rate                            : 44.1 kHz
Frame rate                               : 21.533 FPS (2048 SPF)
Compression mode                         : Lossy
Stream size                              : 37.4 KiB (3%)
Default                                  : Yes
Alternate group                          : 1

Converted File Mediainfo

General
Complete name                            : C:\Users\John\Downloads\Snaptik_7010791546534579461_momentsgang.mov
Format                                   : MPEG-4
Format profile                           : QuickTime
Codec ID                                 : qt   0000.02 (qt  )
File size                                : 3.12 MiB
Duration                                 : 9 s 360 ms
Overall bit rate                         : 2 799 kb/s
Encoded date                             : 2023-07-04 06:31:53 UTC
Tagged date                              : 2023-07-04 06:31:53 UTC
Writing application                      : Lavf60.4.100

Video
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : AVC
Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                           : High@L3.1
Format settings                          : CABAC / 5 Ref Frames
Format settings, CABAC                   : Yes
Format settings, Reference frames        : 5 frames
Codec ID                                 : avc1
Codec ID/Info                            : Advanced Video Coding
Duration                                 : 9 s 334 ms
Bit rate                                 : 1 259 kb/s
Width                                    : 576 pixels
Height                                   : 1 024 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 0.562
Frame rate mode                          : Constant
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Bit depth                                : 8 bits
Scan type                                : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.071
Stream size                              : 1.40 MiB (45%)
Writing library                          : x264 core 148
Encoding settings                        : cabac=1 / ref=5 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=hex / subme=8 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=2 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=32 / lookahead_threads=5 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=50 / rc=crf / mbtree=1 / crf=24.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / vbv_maxrate=4000 / vbv_bufsize=8000 / crf_max=0.0 / nal_hrd=none / filler=0 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00
Color range                              : Limited
Color primaries                          : BT.709
Transfer characteristics                 : BT.709
Matrix coefficients                      : BT.709
Codec configuration box                  : avcC

Audio
ID                                       : 2
Format                                   : PCM
Format settings                          : Little / Signed
Codec ID                                 : sowt
Duration                                 : 9 s 360 ms
Bit rate mode                            : Constant
Bit rate                                 : 1 536 kb/s
Channel(s)                               : 2 channels
Channel layout                           : L R
Sampling rate                            : 48.0 kHz
Bit depth                                : 16 bits
Stream size                              : 1.71 MiB (55%)
Default                                  : Yes
Alternate group                          : 1

No video was harmed in that conversion.

Former user wrote on 7/4/2023, 7:58 PM

@john_dennis Yeah if someone in the future has a complaint about editing tiktok videos can point them to your post. I have been able to get Vegas to play clips without the distortion at beginning or end, and for it to stick for a reasonable amount of time, but didn't find a repeatable way of achieving this which might have been helpful for people with the more conventional audio distortion problem with non-HE-AACv2 audio

shovel wrote on 8/14/2023, 5:31 PM

It has been confirmed the bug still remains in v21. Why, devs? Why?
$199 to upgrade? No. Not in this state.

Phil_P wrote on 9/4/2023, 9:40 AM

@john_dennis a little bit of the audio from the clip 🤷‍♂️

Yes, I have been getting this for a long time, (Up to my current V20, not 100% sure which version it started in). Never been able to put my finger on what causes it.

I just make sure I leave long gaps after doing pieces to camera (for example) which will be edited out later. If I stop recording too quickly the "extra audio" at the end can be missed and ends up in the final render.

tbh I just figured it was something to do with my file recording method (using OBS) DAW tutorial stuff. And thought it was probably something I am doing wrong. Just happened to do a quick search for it now while waiting for kettle to boil.

One day I will get the time to look into this is finer detail and get to the bottom of it.

john_dennis wrote on 9/4/2023, 11:23 AM

@Phil_P

Over the last few days, I've isolated a trigger that causes the noise at the end of the clip with So4complundplug.dll active. I plan to do a post with a standard set of files and a standard diagnostic method, but, alas, today I have to work on the air conditioner in my twenty-year-old truck.

Phil_P wrote on 9/5/2023, 1:37 AM

@Phil_P

Over the last few days, I've isolated a trigger that causes the noise at the end of the clip with So4complundplug.dll active. I plan to do a post with a standard set of files and a standard diagnostic method, but, alas, today I have to work on the air conditioner in my twenty-year-old truck.

Nice one John. fwiw, For me it is always audio (from somewhere in the recording), not noise or pops. The problem is I don't have time to troubleshoot it when in mid project and then something else comes up. But I have it on my list now so let's see.