Tools - Multicamera - Synchronise Audio To Align Events - AWFUL

LEvi-Clay wrote on 6/1/2020, 4:01 PM

VEGAS PRO 17

Someone help me out here?

I've been using Vegas pro 13 for 5 years but got tired of minor sync issues in my videos from manually lining up my clapper by eye.

I had someone recommend Da Vinci Resolve which isn't just free... but does this for me at the press of a button, flawlessly.

I decided to not switch to the freeware and instead spend a fair amount of money to remain loyal to the software I know because I didn't want my workflow interrupted.

So someone tell me... why does this feature simply never work? I'm not talking about being a little off. I'm saying that it's off by MINUTES. I thought maybe my file was just too long, so I did a test just of me looking at the camera and clapping... nope... off by miles. How?!?!?!

I'm extremely unimpressed that I've spent all this money based on one feature... and it doesn't even close to work.

What's the deal?

Comments

michael-harrison wrote on 6/1/2020, 4:39 PM

You've got me curious. VP is supposed to have a feature to do this automatically? I'd never heard that. Where is it?

I've been doing it by eye for the last year and really, haven't found it that odious. One thing that helps a ton is to expand the audio waveforms with shift-up arrow. After that it's easy to line up the tracks and group them after alignment.

Marco. wrote on 6/1/2020, 5:01 PM

You'll find it in the Tools/Multicam options though it does not need a multicam project to be used.

Unfortunately this tool often just fails. Sometimes it does nothing at all, sometimes the clips will be off a large amount. Sometimes it works.

OldSmoke wrote on 6/1/2020, 5:05 PM

I have done numerous multi-cam edits and never did I rely on a product to do it for me. Especially something like a figure skating live event is impossible to sync via audio only. The rink is 200ft long and that by itself causes delays. All I do use Vegasaur to make a video wall of all tracks, line them up by visual ques, then a general camera color matching on media level and only then do create my multi-cam track.

The only reliable way to do it in Vegas is using TC but that would require all cameras to have synced TC or using gen-lock.

Proud owner of Sony Vegas Pro 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 & 13 and now Magix VP15&16.

System Spec.:
Motherboard: ASUS X299 Prime-A

Ram: G.Skill 4x8GB DDR4 2666 XMP

CPU: i7-9800x @ 4.6GHz (custom water cooling system)
GPU: 1x AMD Vega Pro Frontier Edition (water cooled)
Hard drives: System Samsung 970Pro NVME, AV-Projects 1TB (4x Intel P7600 512GB VROC), 4x 2.5" Hotswap bays, 1x 3.5" Hotswap Bay, 1x LG BluRay Burner

PSU: Corsair 1200W
Monitor: 2x Dell Ultrasharp U2713HM (2560x1440)

set wrote on 6/1/2020, 5:06 PM

This auto-sync feature still need further work.

VEGASDerek wrote on 6/1/2020, 5:14 PM

The one way to increase the speed and the accuracy of the audio sync is to only select a small region on the timeline and then select the events you want synchronized. If you select an area where you know audio is the same but not quite sync'd up, the tool should be much more reliable.

Yellandkeil wrote on 6/1/2020, 5:29 PM

God bless!!

If we spent money buying, then spend also time learning: 

1, drag 4 clips onto timeline which are shot synchronized, or say, their audio has the same content.

2, Ctr+A=select all; Enable Multicamera Editing; Synchronize Audio to Align Events.

3, Vegaspro gives you the result after a while.

4, create Multicamera Track and do your job.

Yellandkeil wrote on 6/1/2020, 5:51 PM

The one way to increase the speed and the accuracy of the audio sync is to only select a small region on the timeline and then select the events you want synchronized. If you select an area where you know audio is the same but not quite sync'd up, the tool should be much more reliable.

@VEGASDerek hi,

I have 3 small talks: 
1, the mvcplug.dll still has bug (no audio signal levels)
2, We use the folder 360 for the 4 plugins, why not give them the names as 360° Stabilization, 360° Stitching, 360° Rotation and 360° Planet?
3, Acidpro 10 released it's VST3 Sidechain Plugin, can we get this as a benefit (in VST2 e.g.), you see, we already have the eFX Compressor. 

Alan-Tutt wrote on 6/1/2020, 7:18 PM

Thanks, Derek! Didn't know it was possible to select a small region, although this requires that we have some idea of approximately where our multiple clips belong in relation to each other. Not always possible when you have 100 clips from a 4-hour event, though.

Personally, I gave up on Vegas audio sync a long time ago, and purchase Syncaila, which works incredibly fast and accurately.

LEvi-Clay wrote on 6/1/2020, 7:49 PM

God bless!!

If we spent money buying, then spend also time learning: 

1, drag 4 clips onto timeline which are shot synchronized, or say, their audio has the same content.

2, Ctr+A=select all; Enable Multicamera Editing; Synchronize Audio to Align Events.

3, Vegaspro gives you the result after a while.

4, create Multicamera Track and do your job.

Sorry to be blunt... but what part of my original post led you to believe I don't know how it works? I know how it's supposed to work... it just doesn't work.

I'm glad it works for you, but numerous users are reporting that it doesn't. I'd like to know when (or even if) this will be looked at because as it currently stands, it's useless. Even if it DID work next time I try, it still undermines the point as I'm now going to have to check carefully that it did indeed work.

Howard-Vigorita wrote on 6/1/2020, 9:46 PM

When doing short shows I don't turn the camera off till the end. That way I only need to align the beginning of the 1st clip from each camera track and the rest falls into place. For longer shows, only turn off for an intermission. And I do it the way @VEGASDerek suggests... just select a region with a handful of prominent peaks across tracks and it runs much faster.

Cameras: Canon XF305, JVC GV-LS2, Canon 6D w/L-glass line. (Mar 2020: testing Zcam E2)
Laptop: Dell XPS15-9570; i7-8750h 32gb (integrated Intel UHD-630 & Nvidia GTX-1050Ti)
Road: Intel NUC i7 8809g 32gb (integrated AMD VegaM 4gb graphics and Intel HD630)
Workstation: i9 9900k 32 gb (Sapphire AMD Radeon VII 16gb graphics and integrated Intel UHD630)
Workstation2: e5 1650v4 128 gb (Sapphire Nitro+ Vega64 8gb graphics)
Workstation3: i7-980X 24gb (Sapphire Nitro+ RX5700xt Navi 8gb graphics)
currently Vegas 17.452

adimatis wrote on 6/22/2020, 7:01 AM

My take on this is indeed start and stop the cameras about the same time and stop the same. Then you only need to sync it once.

And it is absolutely possible to do it only by using the audio wave forms, but I admit, it takes some practice and some experience with reading the displayed "peaks and valleys".

I tried this sync feature several times in Vegas and unfortunately it NEVER worked. Once, as I tried to sync more files at once, it processed for about an hour and then did nothing. :( Terribly frustrating.

The old way "syncing by clap" is still the best method, really.

JN- wrote on 6/22/2020, 9:25 AM

@LEvi-Clay I use Pluraleyes, superb and fast. If you have stills to sync, or not, you can use the video clips/stills date/time values to get things roughly where you want them, then waveforms etc.

One project I had some time back with a mixture of video/stills, I made up a spreadsheet to assist in placement of stills, of course you must remember that a 5 second still on the timeline really doesn’t occupy 5 s.

and instead spend a fair amount of money” Maybe spend a little more and buy say Pluraleyes, saves a lot of grief.

Last changed by JN- on 6/22/2020, 9:34 AM, changed a total of 2 times.

---------------------------------------------

Benchmarking thread

Codec Render Quality tables

---------------------------------------------

PC ... Corsair case, own build ...

CPU .. i9 9900K, iGpu UHD 630

Memory .. 32GB DDR4

Graphics card .. MSI RTX 2080 ti

Graphics driver .. latest studio

PSU .. Corsair 850i

Mboard .. Asus Z390 Code

Laptop ... (Acer Predator G9-793-77AC)

CPU .. i7-6700HQ Skylake-H

Memory ..32 GB DDR4, was previously 16 GB

Graphics card .. Nvidia GTX 1070

Graphics driver .. latest studio

Howard-Vigorita wrote on 6/23/2020, 6:24 PM

The old way "syncing by clap" is still the best method, really.

Even better if you do any rock concerts... sync on a stage light as it changes color. 🚥

Cameras: Canon XF305, JVC GV-LS2, Canon 6D w/L-glass line. (Mar 2020: testing Zcam E2)
Laptop: Dell XPS15-9570; i7-8750h 32gb (integrated Intel UHD-630 & Nvidia GTX-1050Ti)
Road: Intel NUC i7 8809g 32gb (integrated AMD VegaM 4gb graphics and Intel HD630)
Workstation: i9 9900k 32 gb (Sapphire AMD Radeon VII 16gb graphics and integrated Intel UHD630)
Workstation2: e5 1650v4 128 gb (Sapphire Nitro+ Vega64 8gb graphics)
Workstation3: i7-980X 24gb (Sapphire Nitro+ RX5700xt Navi 8gb graphics)
currently Vegas 17.452

adimatis wrote on 6/24/2020, 12:01 AM

:) I bet. Never tried it though.

Steve_Rhoden wrote on 6/24/2020, 2:36 AM

Try using PluralEyes from Red Giant Software, its the best at what it does and integrates flawlessly into Vegas Pro 13 - 17....... No need to disrupt your Vegas workflow.