VEGAS Pro 15 Update 3 (build 311) - General Discussion

Comments

set wrote on 2/21/2018, 10:41 AM

The duration of opening that Pan/Crop and Fx window is getting worse after you spend some time editing of the footage. After 30 minutes of working on some project you can count up to five seconds when you can actually use the Pan/Crop window.

I have similar issue too when adding FXs during 'color correction' stage / 'adding FX' stage. Restarting VP will 'restore' the performance...

I'm curious whether this was caused by a 3rd party FXs or just any FXs, or caused by opening VideoFX window.

Setiawan Kartawidjaja
Bandung, West Java, Indonesia (UTC+7 Time Area)

Personal FB | Personal IG | Personal YT Channel
Chungs Video FB | Chungs Video IG | Chungs Video YT Channel
Personal Portfolios YouTube Playlist
Pond5 page: My Stock Footage of Bandung city

System 5-2021:
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Video Card1: Intel UHD Graphics 630 (Driver 31.0.101.2127 (Feb 1 2024 Release date))
Video Card2: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GDDR6 (Driver Version 551.23 Studio Driver (Jan 24 2024 Release Date))
RAM: 32.0 GB
Drive OS: SSD 240GB
Drive Working: NVMe 1TB
Drive Storage: 4TB+2TB

System 2-2018:
ASUS ROG Strix Hero II GL504GM Gaming Laptop
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 8750H CPU @2.20GHz 2.21 GHz
Video Card 1: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630 (Driver 31.0.101.2111)
Video Card 2: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5 VRAM (Driver Version 537.58)
RAM: 16GB
Storage: M.2 NVMe PCIe 256GB SSD & 2.5" 5400rpm 1TB SSHD

* I don't work for VEGAS Creative Software Team. I'm just Voluntary Moderator in this forum.

OldSmoke wrote on 2/21/2018, 10:44 AM

@Fiola I know that is frustrating, especially on a i9 machine. You may have answered this already, but are you working in a 32bit project or just 8bit?

Proud owner of Sony Vegas Pro 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 & 13 and now Magix VP15&16.

System Spec.:
Motherboard: ASUS X299 Prime-A

Ram: G.Skill 4x8GB DDR4 2666 XMP

CPU: i7-9800x @ 4.6GHz (custom water cooling system)
GPU: 1x AMD Vega Pro Frontier Edition (water cooled)
Hard drives: System Samsung 970Pro NVME, AV-Projects 1TB (4x Intel P7600 512GB VROC), 4x 2.5" Hotswap bays, 1x 3.5" Hotswap Bay, 1x LG BluRay Burner

PSU: Corsair 1200W
Monitor: 2x Dell Ultrasharp U2713HM (2560x1440)

wilri001 wrote on 2/21/2018, 10:49 AM

I only use Vegas color curves and correction, and it happens. I think it’s in the UI, perhaps each time a window is opened, the previous window is hidden, but still there, so any window actions have to work with this huge collection of open windows.

Fiola wrote on 2/21/2018, 10:54 AM

@Fiola I know that is frustrating, especially on a i9 machine. You may have answered this already, but are you working in a 32bit project or just 8bit?

8bit and 32bit ... it doesn't matter, ... unfortunately, at least I see no difference...

Former user wrote on 2/21/2018, 10:59 AM

The duration of opening that Pan/Crop and Fx window is getting worse after you spend some time editing of the footage. After 30 minutes of working on some project you can count up to five seconds when you can actually use the Pan/Crop window.

I have similar issue too when adding FXs during 'color correction' stage / 'adding FX' stage. Restarting VP will 'restore' the performance...

I'm curious whether this was caused by a 3rd party FXs or just any FXs, or caused by opening VideoFX window.

“The duration of opening that Pan/Crop and Fx window is getting worse after you spend some time editing of the footage.”

I don’t recall this being an issue with vp13, became an issue with either v14 or v15. Closing and restarting is only current solution that I know of.

@fiola Th k-lite pack i’ve seen in many places as not being a good idea. Make sure you have COMPLETELY removed it.

set wrote on 2/21/2018, 11:11 AM

“The duration of opening that Pan/Crop and Fx window is getting worse after you spend some time editing of the footage.”

I don’t recall this being an issue with vp13, became an issue with either v14 or v15. Closing and restarting is only current solution that I know of.

Not a problem in VP14 so far I remember it..., but it was in VP15...

Perhaps there's a change developer applied on this part because there are several report that doing undo or adding FX to the clip which its' VideoFX tab is currently being opened will make direct crashes...

This problem (crashes when inserting videoFX) was solved in VP15, but then it creates another different issue (being slower) ?

Setiawan Kartawidjaja
Bandung, West Java, Indonesia (UTC+7 Time Area)

Personal FB | Personal IG | Personal YT Channel
Chungs Video FB | Chungs Video IG | Chungs Video YT Channel
Personal Portfolios YouTube Playlist
Pond5 page: My Stock Footage of Bandung city

System 5-2021:
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Video Card1: Intel UHD Graphics 630 (Driver 31.0.101.2127 (Feb 1 2024 Release date))
Video Card2: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GDDR6 (Driver Version 551.23 Studio Driver (Jan 24 2024 Release Date))
RAM: 32.0 GB
Drive OS: SSD 240GB
Drive Working: NVMe 1TB
Drive Storage: 4TB+2TB

System 2-2018:
ASUS ROG Strix Hero II GL504GM Gaming Laptop
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 8750H CPU @2.20GHz 2.21 GHz
Video Card 1: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630 (Driver 31.0.101.2111)
Video Card 2: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5 VRAM (Driver Version 537.58)
RAM: 16GB
Storage: M.2 NVMe PCIe 256GB SSD & 2.5" 5400rpm 1TB SSHD

* I don't work for VEGAS Creative Software Team. I'm just Voluntary Moderator in this forum.

Former user wrote on 2/21/2018, 12:30 PM

@set

Ok so its v15. I noticed it quite a lot using pan crop, nothing complicated, typically doing a fair number of key frames for multiple events, on simple pal SD material, eventually just getting slower and slower over time. So no fancy FX in my case, the act of opening the pan crop windows and adding key frames was all that was mostly involved. Solution was to close project and restart regularly. Reminds me of the very similar issue when using a lot of .jpgs. If you don’t close project in time it just hangs. Appears to be a memory issue for both?

The .jpg issue predates v15 I understand.

wwjd wrote on 2/21/2018, 12:43 PM

Will all of us unable to actually USE VP15 due to these bugs, get a free upgrade to 16 when available?

We all said the same about almost any version of Vegas.

Not sure what others have experienced in the past, but this is the first version I've had that kills itself over time. No other version has done this. "Out of the box" it is failing for myself and many others that I am reading here. My system hasn't changed, clips are the same, new version bogs down after a bit, stops and dies. Lemon laws, anyone?

wilri001 wrote on 2/21/2018, 12:45 PM

Has any of you that have this slowdown problem in v15 been able to get help from Magix support? I opened a couple of issues back in Sept 2017, but they just sent "canned" emails to run as Administrator, and hold CTRL+SHFT when clicking SEND, which doesn't work.

So as best I can tell, Magix isn't even working on this problem.

If they are, we can't tell.

Anyone got an open issue with Magix support where they actually have doc for this? They told me they can't reproduce it, but all of us don't have a problem.

We can't use the product, and they're not even working on it.

Fiola wrote on 2/21/2018, 1:22 PM

Has any of you that have this slowdown problem in v15 been able to get help from Magix support? I opened a couple of issues back in Sept 2017, but they just sent "canned" emails to run as Administrator, and hold CTRL+SHFT when clicking SEND, which doesn't work.

So as best I can tell, Magix isn't even working on this problem.

If they are, we can't tell.

Anyone got an open issue with Magix support where they actually have doc for this? They told me they can't reproduce it, but all of us don't have a problem.

We can't use the product, and they're not even working on it.

Actually, we kinda forced to Mathias from Magix here (few posts above) to address this issue in priority. On monday I will send to Magix very comprehensive package with repro-data. Hopefully they will find this glitch very important and fix it soon, so we will be back on track.

wilri001 wrote on 2/21/2018, 1:41 PM

Thanks, @Fiola, for getting something done I wasn't able to do back in September. BTW, as for repro data, I haven't had a single project that did NOT slow down. Let me know if I can help in any way.

Former user wrote on 2/21/2018, 1:49 PM

Wilri001 .. I couldn’t be bothered ever opening a ticket, did it once, and got the exact same canned response you mentioned for a completely different issue, blue-ray. Oldsmoke came up with a temporary fix then one of the updates fixed it permanently. I don’t know how they can get away with it, sending out these same canned “solutions “ to different problems. Maybe the idea is to stop you bothering them, yet surely they get paid for this? All very insulting really, although maybe back in the dim and distant past that same canned solution did fix one users problem and they just keep using it😩.

Fiola wrote on 2/21/2018, 2:20 PM

Wilri001 .. I couldn’t be bothered ever opening a ticket, did it once, and got the exact same canned response you mentioned for a completely different issue, blue-ray. Oldsmoke came up with a temporary fix then one of the updates fixed it permanently. I don’t know how they can get away with it, sending out these same canned “solutions “ to different problems. Maybe the idea is to stop you bothering them, yet surely they get paid for this? All very insulting really, although maybe back in the dim and distant past that same canned solution did fix one users problem and they just keep using it😩.

I think this is somehow connected that MAGIX bought the VEGAS from SONY ... the SONY probably had some problems with developing this software ... they have CATALYST now, which seems to be more "pure" version of VEGAS - it's actually not useable for our purpose of daily editing. In the end I can imagine how MAGIX internally screams, because they have to deal with the code of their predecessors.

I would really love to see VEGAS rewritten from ground up only by MAGIX. Imagine what that would be. But they probably need a lot of money to do that. As I understand, the VEGAS 15 is the first step of making it more "MAGIX" software than "SONY" software... I really hope they will be able do something much better for VEGAS 16.

Former user wrote on 2/21/2018, 2:45 PM

Anyway Fiola, hopefully after you make available the super-pack to the team they will be able to clarify whats what, best of luck.

Christian de Godzinsky wrote on 2/21/2018, 2:47 PM

Very disappointed here too with the latest bug fix release. Many major issues are still not fixed. The bug list is long as father Xmas beard.  Lots of hang-ups and crashing for no reason - just during editing without even attempting rendering.

Invested in a GTX1080Ti GPU since it seems (according to some sources) that Vegas plays again better with nVidia GPU's. But it seems to make things worse (before AMD R9 280x). Build 311 seems even worse. Don't waste your time asking what I have on my timeline - its just plain vanilla video clips, NO 3rd party plugins. Multicam is almost guaranteed to crash the app, sooner or later.  And the multicam implementation is not very professional with lots of limitations and errorneous functionality. I have tried everything that Nick has mentioned in his excellent posts.. Vegas 15 is not up to par - its slow an unreliable - and probably in the need of a complete rewrite... Probably will never happen, just too much work for a small sw team. Doing serious work with VP15 without crashing seems to be an impossible formula.. As impossible that it would be normal and completely acceptable that your car leaves you everyday halfway on the road...

Purchased every version in the hope that these basic things would get fixed. But nope. Stability is worse than ever. Vegas once was the most stable NLE on earth (V6). This IS SAD - I LOVE the Vegas GUI and the intuitive workflow. Waiting naively for thins to get better has its limits... If Magix doesn't publish further bug fixes for VP15 - then most probably you have also to count me out.  Time to open my new book "The definitive guide to DR14"...

Saddened - it has bee a nice (but lately painful) journey.

WIN10 Pro 64-bit | Version 1903 | OS build 18362.535 | Studio 16.1.2 | Vegas Pro 17 b387
CPU i9-7940C 14-core @4.4GHz | 64GB DDR4@XMP3600 | ASUS X299M1
GPU 2 x GTX1080Ti (2x11G GBDDR) | 442.19 nVidia driver | Intensity Pro 4K (BlackMagic)
4x Spyder calibrated monitors (1x4K, 1xUHD, 2xHD)
SSD 500GB system | 2x1TB HD | Internal 4x1TB HD's @RAID10 | Raid1 HDD array via 1Gb ethernet
Steinberg UR2 USB audio Interface (24bit/192kHz)
ShuttlePro2 controller

wilri001 wrote on 2/21/2018, 3:45 PM

@Christian de Godzinsky, what limitation/errorneous functionality do you find in multicam mode? I use it 99% of my projects and the only thing I don't like is having to use Media level fx for cameras that make a new file at 2/4GB. And that's because they can't be copied.

And for those who say they will leave, well I think I'm pretty frustrated too with 173 crashes, but I'm staying with version 13, and find value in version 15 to do renders (after build 216 without GPU to get to complete). Yes, I'd like 15 to work better because I like the UI, but I really don't want to learn another NLE. But pay for version 16, not unless I run the 30 day trial with reasonable stability. I had no idea when I bought 15 it would be so bad, since my previous version 13 was stable (after finding a back level driver for my graphics card).

phil-d wrote on 2/21/2018, 3:48 PM

Hi

Still unable to render to 10 bit Intel HEVC, get the same error message as the previous version, 8 bit works okay. I've also lost the option to select GPU acceleration of video processing under Preferences.

Regards

Phil

phil-d wrote on 2/21/2018, 3:51 PM

I would really love to see VEGAS rewritten from ground up only by MAGIX. Imagine what that would be. But they probably need a lot of money to do that. As I understand, the VEGAS 15 is the first step of making it more "MAGIX" software than "SONY" software... I really hope they will be able do something much better for VEGAS 16.

Hi

Version 16 doesn't mean anything, it's simply marketing and someone deciding to call the same mess we currently have Version 16 in order to extract some more money from us.

It's the end for me, no more Vegas.

Regards

Phil

fifonik wrote on 2/21/2018, 3:55 PM

@Fiola

> Yes, I have newest codecs (K-Lite pack) installed.

I do not think installing the pack was a good idea. And I do not know an easy way to uninstall everything that was installed without re-installing system. However, my knowledge about the pack is outdated, may be newer versions are better in this way. I'd recommend to rid it off.

In addition, I believe it would be a good idea if you put everything about your issue in a separate thread. With more details. Claims like "I have newest drivers" not really useful. It's better to provide version numbers (at least for chipset and graphics card). Probably you already done this in other threads and cannot do this again and again. So this is why I recommend you to have a separate thread with everything included there.

If you can reinstall (temporary on a separate SSD/HDD) the system once again I'd do this:

- Install windows from scratch

- Let it auto update everything

- Install the latest chipset drivers from Intel (provide version)

- Install the latest graphic card (provide version)

- Install Vegas only (no plugins, codecs packs etc) and test

In addition, I'd recommend you to check your hardware and temporary replace memory and graphics card. I do have experience that some memory modules caused OS/programs crashes (only few programs crashed, have not used Vegas on that PC). I was not able not detect the defective module with memory testing programs (windows diagnostics, memtest86+), but replacing these modules fixed the issues. Also, I had very similar issue with graphics card. The Skyrim crashed almost instantly with the card installed, but other games and testing programs -- does not. Checked this on two different PCs with different drivers. Replacing the card fixed the issue as well.

Camcorder: Panasonic X1500 + Panasonic X920 + GoPro Hero 11 Black

Desktop: MB: MSI B450M MORTAR TITANIUM, CPU: AMD Ryzen 5700X, RAM: G'Skill 16 GB DDR4@3200, Graphics card: MSI RX6600 8GB, SSD: Samsung 970 Evo+ 1TB (NVMe, OS), Samsung 870 Evo, HDD WD 4TB, HDD Toshiba 4TB, OS: Windows 10 Pro 22H2

NLE: Vegas Pro [Edit] 11, 12, 13, 15, 17, 18, 19

Wolfgang S. wrote on 2/21/2018, 4:05 PM

Hi

Still unable to render to 10 bit Intel HEVC, get the same error message as the previous version, 8 bit works okay. I've also lost the option to select GPU acceleration of video processing under Preferences.

Regards

Phil

Yes some user report such issues with the HEVC encoder that since Vegas Pro 14. On my machine it still works for whatever reason.

But that you cannot select GPU acceleration took place with b311 now only?

Desktop: PC AMD 3960X, 24x3,8 Mhz * GTX 3080 Ti (12 GB)* Blackmagic Extreme 4K 12G * QNAP Max8 10 Gb Lan * Resolve Studio 18 * Edius X* Blackmagic Pocket 6K/6K Pro, EVA1, FS7

Laptop: ProArt Studiobook 16 OLED * internal HDR preview * i9 12900H with i-GPU Iris XE * 32 GB Ram) * Geforce RTX 3070 TI 8GB * internal HDR preview on the laptop monitor * Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K mini

HDR monitor: ProArt Monitor PA32 UCG-K 1600 nits, Atomos Sumo

Others: Edius NX (Canopus NX)-card in an old XP-System. Edius 4.6 and other systems

wwjd wrote on 2/21/2018, 4:07 PM

Hi

Version 16 doesn't mean anything, it's simply marketing and someone deciding to call the same mess we currently have Version 16 in order to extract some more money from us.

It's the end for me, no more Vegas.

Regards

Phil

This. 12 WORKED okay, crashed sometimes. 13 STILL works okay, crashes sometimes. 14 STILL works okay, crashes sometimes. 15 slows down, locks, fails - always. UNUSEABLE. I think the first versions of it worked "okay", but later updates caused this? At least it is not just me.

Not sure yet another bug report would help in any way. Sounds like many others already submitted.

Wolfgang S. wrote on 2/21/2018, 4:24 PM

With me it takes always 0,4 second, also in a big project.
Tonight I'll try it during working a long time on the same big project.

From that time on I worked on a test project 3840x2160 50p that last more than 2 hours with files of my last vacation, i.c. smartphone pictures, smartphone FHD video, GoPro 2,7 K 50p and Panasonic FHD 50p.
During the evening I build this test project, made cuts, transitions, inserted titles, title video's and solid colors.
Now and than I went to our Dutch forum to answer questions, played games etc. but never closed the test project.
At the end I added some more solid colors and text events and looked at the opening of the different windows.
Those windows lasted maybe sometimes 0,1 of a second longer than in the beginning, so what you called gliches and bugs I cannot see other than a tiny little bit slowness to open another window in the program, not more or less and probable due to also in the same time using OBS to make this screencapture.
I could not force this project to crash.
Look for yourself and draw your own conclusions, all was happening on desktop from signature with VPro15 build 311.

Same here. I do not see the slowdown described for whatever reason.

Desktop: PC AMD 3960X, 24x3,8 Mhz * GTX 3080 Ti (12 GB)* Blackmagic Extreme 4K 12G * QNAP Max8 10 Gb Lan * Resolve Studio 18 * Edius X* Blackmagic Pocket 6K/6K Pro, EVA1, FS7

Laptop: ProArt Studiobook 16 OLED * internal HDR preview * i9 12900H with i-GPU Iris XE * 32 GB Ram) * Geforce RTX 3070 TI 8GB * internal HDR preview on the laptop monitor * Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K mini

HDR monitor: ProArt Monitor PA32 UCG-K 1600 nits, Atomos Sumo

Others: Edius NX (Canopus NX)-card in an old XP-System. Edius 4.6 and other systems

wilri001 wrote on 2/21/2018, 4:32 PM

@cornico, you aren't using multicam, and although I saw a couple of pan/crop windows, I didn't see you actually set anything, especially keyframes. This is what I do, 4 - 6 camera multicam with almost every cut using pan/crop with keyframes.

AVsupport wrote on 2/21/2018, 4:33 PM

[XAVC-S Timecode issue] - For the record:

• FullHD 50p clips TC IN & OUT information does now read correctly it seems.
  • But this still does Not work for 4K/25 clips. Those still don't show Timecode In.

(can someone else please confirm) Beware Sony multicam crew ;-)

Last changed by AVsupport on 2/21/2018, 4:34 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

my current Win10/64 system (latest drivers, water cooled) :

Intel Coffee Lake i5 Hexacore (unlocked, but not overclocked) 4.0 GHz on Z370 chipset board,

32GB (4x8GB Corsair Dual Channel DDR4-2133) XMP-3000 RAM,

Intel 600series 512GB M.2 SSD system drive running Win10/64 home automatic driver updates,

Crucial BX500 1TB EDIT 3D NAND SATA 2.5-inch SSD

2x 4TB 7200RPM NAS HGST data drive,

Intel HD630 iGPU - currently disabled in Bios,

nVidia GTX1060 6GB, always on latest [creator] drivers. nVidia HW acceleration enabled.

main screen 4K/50p 1ms scaled @175%, second screen 1920x1080/50p 1ms.