VEGAS Pro 15 Update 3 (build 311) - General Discussion

VEGAS_CommunityManager wrote on 2/20/2018, 9:40 AM

VEGAS Pro 15 Update 3 (build 311) has been released. Please give us your feedback in this thread.

If you already have build 261 or earlier installed, there is no need to uninstall it. The build 311 will overwrite your installation and retain your settings. Your computer will need to be online for activation after the update.

If you are installing VEGAS Pro 15 for the first time, it is generally better to install using a VEGAS Pro download manager. See here for details & links.

Some of you might wondering: "Why hasn't issue X or Y being taken care of?". Most of the time the answer can be broken down to a combination of priority, ressources and time. If you are interested in a more detailled answer, please, have a look at Gary Rebholz's post history. He is constantly explaining which challenges we are facing from day to day.

Comments

Fiola wrote on 2/20/2018, 10:03 AM

Thank you for the update. As expected by seeing Patch Notes. None of the main problems were fixed nor mentioned. :( So, this is probably last update before Vegas 16? It means I can't wait anymore... I am really sorry that I am forced to quit VEGAS. VEGAS 13 was kinda old and pain. VEGAS 14 done by you was much better. VEGAS 15 is excellent in theory. But practical use for editing (at least in my case) is absolutely unusable :(. I am so sorry for staying so loud about it. But I tried everything, even help desk. This isn't about Why hasn't issue X or Y being taken care of... this is mainly no response to an obvious problems VEGAS 15 has.

Sorry, but thank you for the patch. I appreciate it a lot. Stay positive.

BruceUSA wrote on 2/20/2018, 10:21 AM

Unbelievable.... no mentioned of any fixes of newer GPU in VP15 update.. Always same old same old. Perhaps, Magix intentionally withholding that for VP16 release as a ALL new features ( support new GPU) what a sham.

Intel i7 12700k @5.2Ghz all P Cores, 5.3@ 6 Core, Turbo boost 3 Cores @5.4Ghz. 4.1Ghz All E Cores.                                          

MSI Z690 MPG Edge DDR5 Wifi                                                     

TEAMGROUP T-Force Delta RGB 32GB DDR5 -6200                     

Samsung 980 Pro x4 Nvme .M2 1tb Pcie Gen 4                                     

ASRock RX 6900XT Phantom 16GB                                                        

PSU Eva Supernova G2 1300w                                                     

Black Ice GTX 480mm radiator top mount push/pull                    

MCP35X dual pump w/ dual pump housing.                                

Corsair RGB water block. RGB Fan thru out                           

Phanteks Enthoo full tower

Windows 11 Pro

VEGAS_CommunityManager wrote on 2/20/2018, 10:22 AM

Hi @Fiola,

Thank you for your honest feedback. It saddens us to see you leaving VEGAS.

On the other hand, we will try to learn from this and stay positive (we hope, you do the same!), so we can keep developing a better software. If your critic points remain the same as in your support ticket and the thread you created, then I will make sure to adress this internally again.

We wish you all the best!

Fiola wrote on 2/20/2018, 11:26 AM

Hi @Fiola,

Thank you for your honest feedback. It saddens us to see you leaving VEGAS.

On the other hand, we will try to learn from this and stay positive (we hope, you do the same!), so we can keep developing a better software. If your critic points remain the same as in your support ticket and the thread you created, then I will make sure to adress this internally again.

We wish you all the best!

Yes. I have generally only issues with 4K editing right now. Rendering on my rig should be at least twice as fast. But every time I do something on timeline, VEGAS keeps hanging, opening trim/crop/fx windows are slow so much to the point you need to restart whole computer to have it run again for a few minutes and then it just hangs again. I know it is frustrating, but even for me right now, as how can I assure my clients I will do my job on time? I can't ... because I can't literally know how long the render will take.

I even tried the newest version of BORIS FX with 311. Just to make sure if it's not that plugin causing problems. But it isn't. With or without. Same results:

This rendering test... rendering 15 seconds of the footage like 15 minutes using MAGIX NVENC settings. Without NVENC it was 1 hour and 15 minutes. What...? Why? On the rig i9, GTX1080Ti, 64GB DDR4 ram, two NVMe SSD's ... I would expect better results.

The same footage was rendered with keying enabled in Adobe Premiere under 20 seconds. Same settings, same output, different NLE.

So without any sarcasm intended. What can I do to HELP YOU fix this issue, thus help also myself to get back to VEGAS as fast as possible?

Fiola wrote on 2/20/2018, 12:18 PM

Hi Fiola,

try this. It worked out right here

https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/new-avc-xavc-s-issues-in-vp15-try-disabling-so4compoundplug-dll--108345/#ca676007

Of course I tried this already :D ... I have tried everything last half of the year :). I even changed the rig ... or reinstall whole system. Really. Everything.

HeavyMetal wrote on 2/20/2018, 12:47 PM

I have installed it and the program never changes to build 311. It just says build 261 in the About pulldown, as well as when the program is loading.

marc-s wrote on 2/20/2018, 1:12 PM

Still hard crashing for me 90% of the time when click "render as". Also continue to experience really strange behavior when using secondary preview monitor function that started with Windows 10. Vegas used to be such a joy to use, now it's an exercise in frustration to complete a project. Add to that the latest news that we AMD Radeon users will most likely not get relief if ever until Vegas 16 and the disappointment continues. I purchased Resolve and have been using it for 50% of my projects lately. So much better in many ways but also lacking certain Vegas brilliance. Will wait and see what the future holds but this render crashing is incredibility frustrating and pushing me farther from the Vegas train.

GaryX wrote on 2/20/2018, 1:19 PM

Hi Fiola,

https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/new-avc-xavc-s-issues-in-vp15-try-disabling-so4compoundplug-dll--108345/#ca676007

Of course I tried this already :D ... I have tried everything last half of the year :). I even changed the rig ... or reinstall whole system. Really. Everything.

i have experienced something similar with Boris 3D objects in use, it is kinda impossible to edit because everything gets slow. i got around that by disabling openCL in the Boris preferences Settings.

it is still sluggish but much more editable.

Fiola wrote on 2/20/2018, 1:25 PM

Hi Fiola,

i have experienced something similar with Boris 3D objects in use, it is kinda impossible to edit because everything gets slow. i got around that by disabling openCL in the Boris preferences Settings.

it is still sluggish but much more editable.

Thanks ... I uninstalled the BORIS of course. Same behaviour unfortunately. I almost thought it will be because of third party plugins, but later discovered this is something wrong in VEGAS 15 from the start :/ ...

Wolfgang S. wrote on 2/20/2018, 2:09 PM

Did you mention Boris FX earlier? I have not seen that, at least not in this thread here:

https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/de/forum/general-performance-issues-with-vegas-pro-15-216--109355/?page=1

It would be wrong to disable the so4 Decoder in b311, since that has been reworked. Maybe that is not finished yet, but I do not see any more that GH5 UHD 50p footage crashes Vegas if the core utiliziation goes up to 100% (what happens here after 2 ir more GH5 UHD 50p streams in the timeline of my machine).

So without any sarcasm intended. What can I do to HELP YOU fix this issue, thus help also myself to get back to VEGAS as fast as possible?

For this purpose a clear repro would be required. And it is necessary to speak very specific about the issue - it makes no sence to mix up a render issue with a playback issue for example.

Desktop: PC AMD 3960X, 24x3,8 Mhz * GTX 3080 Ti * Blackmagic Extreme 4K 12G * QNAP Max8 10 Gb Lan * Blackmagic Pocket 6K/6K Pro, EVA1, FS7

Laptop: ProArt Studiobook 16 OLED (ProArt Studiobook 16 OLED (i9 12900H with i-GPU Iris XE, 32 GB Ram. Geforce RTX 3070 TI 8GB) with internal HDR preview on the laptop monitor. Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K mini

HDR monitor: ProArt Monitor PA32 UCG, Atomos Sumo

Shinra Bansho wrote on 2/20/2018, 2:16 PM

Hi Fiola,

My system (built around a Radeon RX470 GPU) is entirely different from yours and this may not be helpful to you but since I installed Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (1709) which I held off for a certain period of time, I suffered a lot of issues on VEGAS Pro 15 (Build 261), including immediate crash! After a couple of days of trials and errors, I finally gave up and restored from my saved disk image (basically 1703). VEGAS Pro 15 again loads fine, edits my 4K multicam footage fine and renders fine. I also feel VEGAS Pro 15 to be highly sensitive to the GPU driver as well, e.g. QSV render option disappears (or alternatively QSV render speed is surprisingly fast) subject to the GPU driver version. The most updated system might not be the best environment for VEGAS Pro 15. Just my experience.

PC 1: GIGABYTE GA-Z170N-WiFi, 32GB RAM, i7 6700K, San Disk 480GB SSD, Seagate 4TB HDD 7200 rpm, Radeon Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 8GB (Driver 21.10.2), Windows 10 Pro Version 21H1 (OS Build 19043.1706)

PC 2: ASUS Prime H570-PLUS MB, 32GB RAM, i7-10700K, 1TB SSD (M.2), 8TB HD, NVidia RTX3080 10GB, Windows 10 Home 21H2 (10.0.19044)

Gears: Panasonic GH4/GH5/GH6/WX970(M)/HC-X2000, Sony PXW-Z90/FDR-AX100/A7C/A74/FX30

Wolfgang S. wrote on 2/20/2018, 2:25 PM

Well and I run here win10 1709 and also in an R9 390X environment and it works. Sure, different GPUs and different Drivers will make a difference, what makes it hard to identify and compare issues. But again, specific Repros are required.

Desktop: PC AMD 3960X, 24x3,8 Mhz * GTX 3080 Ti * Blackmagic Extreme 4K 12G * QNAP Max8 10 Gb Lan * Blackmagic Pocket 6K/6K Pro, EVA1, FS7

Laptop: ProArt Studiobook 16 OLED (ProArt Studiobook 16 OLED (i9 12900H with i-GPU Iris XE, 32 GB Ram. Geforce RTX 3070 TI 8GB) with internal HDR preview on the laptop monitor. Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K mini

DeTomasi wrote on 2/20/2018, 3:50 PM

Well!
For me it is the best update til now!

:)

AVsupport wrote on 2/20/2018, 4:50 PM

Thanks for 311, first findings [XAVC-S rendering]:

When 'Selectively Prerendering' an XAVC-S source clip with 'FilmconvertPro 2.15' as TrackFX applied (this one can select: Render Processor: GPU (OpenCL) and I have) with Rendering Format identical (which I now can, thank you!), with Video>Preferences>'GPU acceleration of video processing'>[Nvidia GTX1060] enabled, the following can be seen in the Task Manager/Performance window:

CPU 100% 4.0GHz (Intel i5-8600K), Intel UHD 630: 27%, nVidia 1060: 8%. rendering speed ~ 1:1.

when I playback on the timeline the unrendered + FX applied files, I get:

CPU 70%, UHD 630: 30%, nVidia 1060: 14%. playback speed: 100%.

..something tells me nVidia resources aren't being utilized during the rendering process, when it should. Have also checked, same thing happens when 'Rendering to new Track'. I almost get better system performance Not rendering which is bizarre..

Also, may I add [selectively prerender video]:

When shifting the event that had been prerendered to a different position on the timeline, the prerendering disappears, even when there's no other clips around. This is a massive waste of computing power. Prerendering should stay with the source unless significant changes force a section of the prerender having to be redone (like in a crossfade)

my current Win10/64 system (latest drivers, water cooled) :

Intel Coffee Lake i5 Hexacore (unlocked, but not overclocked) 4.0 GHz on Z370 chipset board,

32GB (4x8GB Corsair Dual Channel DDR4-2133) XMP-3000 RAM,

Intel 600series 512GB M.2 SSD system drive running Win10/64 home automatic driver updates,

Crucial BX500 1TB EDIT 3D NAND SATA 2.5-inch SSD

2x 4TB 7200RPM NAS HGST data drive,

Intel HD630 iGPU - currently disabled in Bios,

nVidia GTX1060 6GB, always on latest [creator] drivers. nVidia HW acceleration enabled.

main screen 4K/50p 1ms scaled @175%, second screen 1920x1080/50p 1ms.

charlie-a wrote on 2/20/2018, 5:17 PM

Very disappointed, I used Vegas 15 for one project when it first came out but It kept crashing so I returned to 14. Tried a few more times with other projects but still unstable. Today I was pleased to see an update that I immediately downloaded and installed. However, when the install rebooted my machine I could not even get into windows the screen kept bouncing between total noise and brief glimpses of the desktop. Running Win 7 Pro. I booted into safe mode and restored the machine. Back to 14 for me.

AVsupport wrote on 2/20/2018, 5:48 PM

@charlie-a, I'm on Win10/64, and so far things are stable here..I loved 7 too, but maybe it's time to move on, your windows is 2 versions and many iterations behind the current development..just sayin..

@Cornico, as I said, the 'Filmconvert'-plugin can choose the renderer..CPU or GPU, as you like, but even so, it seems like [utilizing XAVC-S as a render tool] does ignore this choice, including the one made in System Preferences. I've chosen to remain on the same codec to avoid transcoding degradation issues and was hoping for at least ~4x faster than realtime render speed...

Last changed by AVsupport on 2/20/2018, 5:55 PM, changed a total of 2 times.

my current Win10/64 system (latest drivers, water cooled) :

Intel Coffee Lake i5 Hexacore (unlocked, but not overclocked) 4.0 GHz on Z370 chipset board,

32GB (4x8GB Corsair Dual Channel DDR4-2133) XMP-3000 RAM,

Intel 600series 512GB M.2 SSD system drive running Win10/64 home automatic driver updates,

Crucial BX500 1TB EDIT 3D NAND SATA 2.5-inch SSD

2x 4TB 7200RPM NAS HGST data drive,

Intel HD630 iGPU - currently disabled in Bios,

nVidia GTX1060 6GB, always on latest [creator] drivers. nVidia HW acceleration enabled.

main screen 4K/50p 1ms scaled @175%, second screen 1920x1080/50p 1ms.

Dexcon wrote on 2/20/2018, 5:59 PM

but maybe it's time to move on, your windows is 2 versions and many iterations behind the current development.

... and Microsoft stopped mainstream support for W7 SP1 just over 3 years ago, and will stop extended support (i.e. security updates) on 14 January 2020, which is less than 2 years away.

Cameras: Sony FDR-AX100E; GoPro Hero 11 Black Creator Edition

Installed: Vegas Pro 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 & 21, HitFilm Pro 2021.3, DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.5, BCC 2023.5, Mocha Pro 2023, Ignite Pro, NBFX TotalFX 7, Neat NR, DVD Architect 6.0, MAGIX Travel Maps, Sound Forge Pro 16, SpectraLayers Pro 11, iZotope RX10 Advanced and many other iZ plugins, Vegasaur 4.0

Windows 11

Dell Alienware Aurora 11

10th Gen Intel i9 10900KF - 10 cores (20 threads) - 3.7 to 5.3 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8GB GDDR6 - liquid cooled

64GB RAM - Dual Channel HyperX FURY DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz

C drive: 2TB Samsung 990 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 PCIe SSD

D: drive: 4TB Samsung 870 SATA SSD (used for media for editing current projects)

E: drive: 2TB Samsung 870 SATA SSD

F: drive: 6TB WD 7200 rpm Black HDD 3.5"

Dell Ultrasharp 32" 4K Color Calibrated Monitor

fr0sty wrote on 2/20/2018, 7:21 PM

I re-enabled so4compoundplug.dll, opened a wedding highlight video project I've been working on that was recorded at 4K 10 bit with a Gh5. Before, playback was smooth until it hit a cut or fade, then it would lag, so I'd have to do a RAM preview to see those transitions smoothly (which is important for timing them to the beat of the music). After the update, it plays back far smoother, rarely ever dropping a frame even during transitions.

Thanks Magix! Hopefully it stays this stable and fast.

Systems:

Desktop

AMD Ryzen 7 1800x 8 core 16 thread at stock speed

64GB 3000mhz DDR4

Geforce RTX 3090

Windows 10

Laptop:

ASUS Zenbook Pro Duo 32GB (9980HK CPU, RTX 2060 GPU, dual 4K touch screens, main one OLED HDR)

fr0sty wrote on 2/20/2018, 8:06 PM

aaaand I already managed to crash it. I'd just finished the pre-ceremony aspects of the highlight video, and wanted to show a wide angle shot of the ceremony location itself. All other shots up until this point had been 10bit 4k GH5 files (the 150mbps codec, not the 400mbps all I codec). The wide shot was a 1080p AVCHD file. I threw the shot on the timeline, put a slice in it where I wanted it to end, paused the video, then hit delete to delete the remaining video after the slice I made (not pausing the video before hitting delete has always made Vegas crash, so I though I was doing right by pausing first...). As soon as I hit the delete key on my keyboard, my mouse cursor was replaced with the windows busy icon (blue spinning circle). I thought 'd try to wait it out, but I came back 5 minutes later (after typing this message) and it was still stuck. I clicked, the screen faded to white, and Vegas closed itself. No error report or anything popped up.

I honestly can't help but to wonder, if I can crash this update in less than 20 minutes using footage from very popular cameras in this industry (GH5 and AVCHD from a GH2), what is going on in your quality control department? I hate to be negative, but this happened with the last update as well, I was crashing it already again the same night, not long after installing. It seems like you guys are looking at a tangled mess of code hoping to fix enough to make it only crash half the time instead of all the time, then slapping a several hundred dollar price tag on it because a few new features were added in that also crash half the time.

You need some sort of public beta program, or need to expand it if you have one. I appreciate the new features, I appreciate the faster encode times, and I appreciate the improved timeline performance that this update brought me, but it isn't doing me much good if I have to restart the project every half hour because I managed to make it hang. The time lost to crashes is eating up any time gained by performance increases. Nothing ruins my flow like a crash, I get so frustrated it takes me 20 minutes to even want to look at the program again.

Last changed by fr0sty on 2/20/2018, 10:12 PM, changed a total of 3 times.

Systems:

Desktop

AMD Ryzen 7 1800x 8 core 16 thread at stock speed

64GB 3000mhz DDR4

Geforce RTX 3090

Windows 10

Laptop:

ASUS Zenbook Pro Duo 32GB (9980HK CPU, RTX 2060 GPU, dual 4K touch screens, main one OLED HDR)

ian-skrabek wrote on 2/20/2018, 11:43 PM

Looks like you have your hands full with other issues, just wanted to ask about VST Plugins.  Was hoping that this last update would have addressed the issue but unfortunately not.  VST Plugins seem to be working fine when playing an audio project but as soon as you open up the Plugin to view or adjust it the audio starts studdering.  Monitoring system RAM, VRam, HDD & CPU usage shows nothing is close to being taxed.  Is this a known, acknowledged issue that will be addressed?  I have found Youtube videos from other users showing exactly this issue.

HeavyMetal wrote on 2/21/2018, 1:13 AM

aaaand I already managed to crash it. I'd just finished the pre-ceremony aspects of the highlight video, and wanted to show a wide angle shot of the ceremony location itself. All other shots up until this point had been 10bit 4k GH5 files (the 150mbps codec, not the 400mbps all I codec). The wide shot was a 1080p AVCHD file. I threw the shot on the timeline, put a slice in it where I wanted it to end, paused the video, then hit delete to delete the remaining video after the slice I made (not pausing the video before hitting delete has always made Vegas crash, so I though I was doing right by pausing first...). As soon as I hit the delete key on my keyboard, my mouse cursor was replaced with the windows busy icon (blue spinning circle). I thought 'd try to wait it out, but I came back 5 minutes later (after typing this message) and it was still stuck. I clicked, the screen faded to white, and Vegas closed itself. No error report or anything popped up.

I honestly can't help but to wonder, if I can crash this update in less than 20 minutes using footage from very popular cameras in this industry (GH5 and AVCHD from a GH2), what is going on in your quality control department? I hate to be negative, but this happened with the last update as well, I was crashing it already again the same night, not long after installing. It seems like you guys are looking at a tangled mess of code hoping to fix enough to make it only crash half the time instead of all the time, then slapping a several hundred dollar price tag on it because a few new features were added in that also crash half the time.

You need some sort of public beta program, or need to expand it if you have one. I appreciate the new features, I appreciate the faster encode times, and I appreciate the improved timeline performance that this update brought me, but it isn't doing me much good if I have to restart the project every half hour because I managed to make it hang. The time lost to crashes is eating up any time gained by performance increases. Nothing ruins my flow like a crash, I get so frustrated it takes me 20 minutes to even want to look at the program again.

I have had the same experience today. 3-4 hanging (not responding) crashes out of nowhere throughout the course of the day. Very simple 60 second timeline.

Wolfgang S. wrote on 2/21/2018, 1:55 AM

, as I said, the 'Filmconvert'-plugin can choose the renderer..CPU or GPU, as you like, but even so, it seems like [utilizing XAVC-S as a render tool] does ignore this choice, including the one made in System Preferences. I've chosen to remain on the same codec to avoid transcoding degradation issues and was hoping for at least ~4x faster than realtime render speed...

The GPU utilization by Filmconvert goes here up to 40% or so, simply during Playback. What is the most importing point to my opinion, simply because one needs a smooth preview to edit the footage.

Wolfgang S. wrote on 2/21/2018, 2:02 AM

aaaand I already managed to crash it. I'd just finished the pre-ceremony aspects of the highlight video, and wanted to show a wide angle shot of the ceremony location itself. All other shots up until this point had been 10bit 4k GH5 files (the 150mbps codec, not the 400mbps all I codec). The wide shot was a 1080p AVCHD file.

But for the 10bit GH5 footage it works fine? Because here was one of the major issues with the so4 Decoder, that has become now much better.

I think no beta program will be able to address your specific combination of 10bit GH5 footage with 8bit HD AVCHD footage. That is a specific combination that will be hard to find. I also ask if that is a crash that can be reproduced - so does it crash if your repeat your handling?

I have also edited mpeg2 HD footage but also EVA1 10bit UHD footage, and have not seen crashes.