Comments

Spot|DSE wrote on 8/29/2007, 5:29 PM
Its a well know fact stated here that if you plan to color correct any HDV youre better off with an intermediate codec as the generation loss from a second encode is (my bolds)

This simply is not true any longer. HDI's are still the better way to go when doing composites and hard color pushes, but this has always been the case. If you're happy editing DV, the decoders/encoders today are pretty darn good and you'll have a DV-like experience with HDV or other MPEG-based formats. The gripe about any heavily compressed technology still remains the same; convert to a higher/more capable format if you're planning on pushing it hard somehow. Ingesting uncompressed YUV is a better workflow regardless of format, it's just not as cost-accessible.
farss wrote on 8/29/2007, 5:39 PM
I think the answer is a qualified Yes.
The unknown is if the actual I/O has gotten any fatter.
It'd certainly be nice to be able to read and write dpx or 16bit tiffs into and out of that pipeline without truncation.
rmack350 wrote on 8/29/2007, 5:46 PM
Hmmm. But if you render it back into an 8-bit format...I'd think that you'd want to render upwards so you'll need to render to a 10-bit codec if you render at all.

If you don't do renders until the final then I suppose you're okay.

Rob Mack
p@mast3rs wrote on 8/29/2007, 6:28 PM
wow, dont see an upgrade price. any chance there is no upgrade for this go round and everyone has to buy a new version? surely theres no chance of that....right?
jrazz wrote on 8/29/2007, 6:29 PM
Upgrade price is there, just a little further down.

j razz
rmack350 wrote on 8/29/2007, 6:35 PM
Generally, there's been an upgrade price and then an even lower upgrade price for the first month after release. We'll see how that goes this time.

Rob
willlisub wrote on 8/29/2007, 6:36 PM
After reading about the new features, I will put off buying a FCP system for 6 months or so why I get myself up to date in Vegas 8. I was going to add a FCP system, not replace Vegas. However, it looks good enough on paper to quell the urge for now. Most of the features I'd like seem to be addressed in V8. Lets hope it still feels fast when editing.

I just got in an 28" 1920x1080 Viewsonic Computer Monitor with dvi and hdmi inputs and have the black magic intensity card so am hoping that I will be able to use the viewsonic for editing and previewing. What a wonderful world that will be and also would like to capture with this card and not have to transcode from their compressed codecs (dvc pro and jpeg) as right now I haven't gotten Vegas to recognize either. Uncompressed files are just to big. I got the card that also has the analog inputs, not just HDMI so can use with component inputs if needed in either sd or hd.

Anyway, looking forward to giving sony some more money.....
DrLumen wrote on 8/29/2007, 6:41 PM
Good news. The titling and 'new' 3d tools could be interesting.

I find it odd that it requires 3D rendering only to an external monitor. From the ad, it sounds that way but that may be out of context or just untrue.

Lack of BD authoring could be disappointing.

Don't get me wrong, this sounds like a nice upgrade from 7. Perhaps I was expecting too much.

-edit
It's nice to see the multicam features even if I don't have 32 cameras!

intel i-4790k / Asus Z97 Pro / 32GB Crucial RAM / Nvidia GTX 560Ti / 500GB Samsung SSD / 256 GB Samsung SSD / 2-WDC 4TB Black HDD's / 2-WDC 1TB HDD's / 2-HP 23" Monitors / Various MIDI gear, controllers and audio interfaces

deusx wrote on 8/29/2007, 7:23 PM
This is just not fair!!!!!

What is apple going to do now. They have been ripping off Vegas since they introduced FCP, and still couldn't keep up. The only thing they had up on vegas was 10 bit color.

Now what?? I don't think their coders can catch up before Steve Dies, and who will provide all that wonderfully ridiculous standup routine at every mac expo when he's gone ( Maybe Carrot Top could do it )
DGates wrote on 8/29/2007, 7:38 PM
Give it a rest, deusx.
deusx wrote on 8/29/2007, 7:45 PM
Come on, you gotta admit , papa Steve's speech ( any ) is one of the best comedy routines out there.
ReneH wrote on 8/29/2007, 7:46 PM
To be able to use Vegas 8.0 what OS will I need? If I need to buy Vista and a new 64 bit MB to go along with it, I might just pass this up altogether. Tell me it isn't so? Tell me Sony plans to release a Linux based Vegas as an option?
p@mast3rs wrote on 8/29/2007, 7:56 PM
This is just not fair!!!!! What is apple going to do now. They have been ripping off Vegas since they introduced FCP, and still couldn't keep up. The only thing they had up on vegas was 10 bit color. Now what?? I don't think their coders can catch up before Steve Dies, and who will provide all that wonderfully ridiculous standup routine at every mac expo when he's gone ( Maybe Carrot Top could do it )

Rip off or not, I BET Sony would LOVE to have the FCP user base and numbers right now. Apple is BRILLIANT at marketing. I am no apple fan boy but they must be doing something right considering all of the indie and big budget films cut on it. You cant say the same for Vegas. Every area of media industry that Vegas is used is dwarfed by the number of FCP users (IMO.) The ONLY area I would think Vegas users outnumber FCP users would be the home movie market.

Maybe Vegas 8 will change that but NOT until Sony puts some serious muscle into marketing. The smartest thing Sony could do right now is mimmick what FCP, Avid, and Adobe all do...provide FREE tutorials and videos of Vegas 8 in action so the public can see just what Vegas can do.
p@mast3rs wrote on 8/29/2007, 7:57 PM
SVDVD8006 NEW! Vegas Pro 8 Boxed Upgrade $349.95

http://sonycreative.starin.biz/pricing.php

Are you serious? Definitely not worth the coin on this one.
DGates wrote on 8/29/2007, 8:03 PM
Well said P@.

You gotta learn from the competition, not whine about it.
jrazz wrote on 8/29/2007, 8:06 PM
I would buy it at that price just for the m2t smart render feature and the increased bit depth. That would cut my workflow time tremendously by cutting out the intermediary file.

j razz
Coursedesign wrote on 8/29/2007, 8:07 PM
Not worth the coin?

For what use?
deusx wrote on 8/29/2007, 8:24 PM
>>>Rip off or not, I BET Sony would LOVE to have the FCP user base and numbers right now.<<<

Vegas' user base far exceeds that of FCP so it's the other way around. There are probably more Vegas users, than there are total number of Mac users.

Big movie studios all use AVID, the rest is split between those others, Vegas included. And there Vegas is ahead of FCP. The only thing FCP has more of is constant babbling of papa steve and his followers.

What is an indie movie if not just a home movie with a script and a larger crew. So count everybody, because we don't know who's just cutting grandma and kids by the pool clip, and who's cutting something else. Add tv, news, etc. FCP is nowhere close to Vegas' numbers.
NickHope wrote on 8/29/2007, 8:24 PM
>> New! No-recompress rendering for Long GOP HDV <<

YES! In my workflow of archiving lots of trimmed HDV (without effects) this is a killer.
tomaras wrote on 8/29/2007, 8:27 PM
Unfortunately it doesn't appear as if they are going to allow for BWF "EXPORT" which once again makes this much less usefull as an audio post production tool where the files will be sent on to another house.
TGS wrote on 8/29/2007, 8:29 PM
SVDVD8006 NEW! Vegas Pro 8 Boxed Upgrade $349.95

It says boxed, not downloaded
John_Cline wrote on 8/29/2007, 8:29 PM
"Are you serious? Definitely not worth the coin on this one."

Then step aside so that I can make my purchase.
deusx wrote on 8/29/2007, 8:35 PM
Hell. I'll buy it just so when one of my FCP buddies points to FCP being 10 bit ( in that Spinal tap way " but this one goes to 11 " )

Just so I can say " but this one goes to 32, and it floats too"