Vegas Replaced the footage

winrockpost wrote on 7/14/2011, 6:06 PM
OK, read about this and have just had the pleasure of experiencing it, clips from An ex1, opened up a project from a couple of days ago, midway in the timeline is a
Wrong clip…. Weird thing is it is named correctly… tagged on the timeline is the correct name,
but not the correct clip, like Vegas just decided to rename it. Names of clips correct in project
media, this is a 50 second project, can’t imagine the uncertainty when
doing a long project. Sending off to Sony
This scares the $%^& out of me.

Comments

ReneH wrote on 7/14/2011, 6:17 PM
Same here. Vegas was replacing clips just about every time I would open the program up to edit. Im stumped on this one.
Myerz wrote on 7/14/2011, 6:19 PM
Nothing here.... but now I'm nervous..... thanks alot! ;-)
I was doing just fine being oblivious!
kairosmatt wrote on 7/15/2011, 7:39 AM
Winrock and Rene,
Which version of 10 are you on?

I had thought d and e didn't have this problem, but I would love to know if they do before I get too far down the road messing around with 10 again!

kairosmatt
Kimberly wrote on 7/15/2011, 8:38 AM
I ran 10b from January to June and never saw this problem. Not sure if other users were seeing it in 10b. I installed 10d in June but have needed to do much testing. I'm waiting on 10e until the dust settles around that.
kairosmatt wrote on 7/15/2011, 9:34 AM
Definitely saw it in b. On two projects.

Have been reluctant to throw any heavy lifting to Vegas 10 since then, but I am hoping that the problem is fixed in e so I can fool around with it a little more.

kairosmatt
winrockpost wrote on 7/15/2011, 2:34 PM
version e
Steve Mann wrote on 7/15/2011, 6:09 PM
Can you duplicate it? Can you close Vegas, shut down the PC, restart and run Vegas again and repeat the exact same problem?
kairosmatt wrote on 7/16/2011, 6:37 AM
That's a real bummer that's it in e as well.

Steve, the problem is that once its happened, you cannot undo it. So when you restart and open the .veg its still been replaced.

The only thing to do is if you have incremental saves to go back.

kairosmatt
jim cowan wrote on 7/16/2011, 8:26 PM
hi,
9e on WinXP, just had to fix takes for about 40minutes of a 3 camera video.
Noticed it on the "final" (not any more) Dvd. Yea, I hadn't burned dvds.
All the timing was right, but everything from around 20min to 60min had the
wrong take.

First time I've noticed this, also one of the first times I had multiple projects
open at the same time.

thanks
jim
PeterDuke wrote on 7/17/2011, 1:28 AM
Moral seems to be:
1: SaveAs often to different filenames (in case it is some time before you notice the problem).
2: Keep the project simple (as much as possible), perhaps working on short sub-projects and join them up at the end.

Christian de Godzinsky wrote on 7/17/2011, 3:57 AM
you forgot one:

3) SCS - fix the problem !

cheers,

Christian

WIN10 Pro 64-bit | Version 1903 | OS build 18362.535 | Studio 16.1.2 | Vegas Pro 17 b387
CPU i9-7940C 14-core @4.4GHz | 64GB DDR4@XMP3600 | ASUS X299M1
GPU 2 x GTX1080Ti (2x11G GBDDR) | 442.19 nVidia driver | Intensity Pro 4K (BlackMagic)
4x Spyder calibrated monitors (1x4K, 1xUHD, 2xHD)
SSD 500GB system | 2x1TB HD | Internal 4x1TB HD's @RAID10 | Raid1 HDD array via 1Gb ethernet
Steinberg UR2 USB audio Interface (24bit/192kHz)
ShuttlePro2 controller

winrockpost wrote on 7/17/2011, 12:07 PM
..........Can you duplicate it? Can you close Vegas, shut down the PC, restart and run Vegas again and repeat the exact same problem?

yep, can duplicate all day long,vegas has a sense of humor, the
replacement clip could not be any goofier for the content...but it aint
too funny,, very serious issue here
Kimberly wrote on 7/17/2011, 12:25 PM
@Winrock and ReneH:

Some questions to spur creative detective work . . .

========

What sort of file naming convention do you use? For example, when I capture I let the capture utility give each clip a default name. Then I rename all the clips with a unique name in my naming convention using the Windows renaming function.

Is Vegas getting confused if there are clips in different folders with similar or identical names? To clarify, does Vegas replace a clip named Cat.m2t with a different clip from a different folder named Cat.m2t or does it replace it with Cat01.m2t (similar name but different) or Dog.m2t (completely different name).

What are the names of the *.sfk files that Vegas creates when it does the clip swapping?

What is happening in your Project Media window before and after Vegas switches the clips?

Do you use media bins?

========

I have not (yet) experienced this problem, but I'm hoping the answers to these questions might help identify what Vegas is doing being the curtain.

Regards,

Kimberly
winrockpost wrote on 7/17/2011, 1:35 PM
The clip names are different, they both live in the same capture folder.I did not rename them,, sequential names from camera,
They are from an ex1r,There are only 20 or so clips in the project, all from the same card. If you select the vegas renamed clip on the timeline and open in project media... it opens the correct clip not the one it renamed.., its only renamed on the timeline ...thats all I know, never happened to me that recall with tape,
Kimberly wrote on 7/17/2011, 3:03 PM
Hi Winrock:

What is Vegas doing with the related *.sfk file on the swapped clip? Does it rename that as well or still point to the original file?
winrockpost wrote on 7/17/2011, 4:24 PM
It only renames on the timeline...... if you right click on it in the timeline and select in project media it takes you to the correct clip
so I don't see what skf files have to do with it
Kimberly wrote on 7/17/2011, 5:44 PM
Just curious on the *.sfk files. As you already know, Vegas renames the corresponding *.sfk file when you manually rename a clip. Wondering if Vegas leaves the SFK file alone or renames that too.
PeterDuke wrote on 7/17/2011, 7:09 PM
We have two threads going on this topic at the moment.

Since this seems related to project complexity, has anybody experienced this problem with 64 bit Vegas?
ritsmer wrote on 7/18/2011, 2:51 AM
64 Bit?
Have been using Win 7 + 64 bit Vegas 10.a-e for a long time now.
Puts all media onto the TL by drag-and-drop from Windows Explorer.
Have been doing projects from 1 minute to 40 minutes using mixed media and formats from different cameras. Mostly many short clips.
Here Vegas has never replaced a clip. Not one.
Have never seen the issue - also not in the earlier Vegas versions.
My editing machine has ECC (Error correcting) RAM.

PS: Thought I had the problem once - but found out that it was my own fault not beeing careful enough when doing replace etc. under ripple-edit :- )
winrockpost wrote on 7/18/2011, 5:18 AM
Kimberly,, skf files are not changed,, Vegas is not renaming the file
in explorer or project media,, it is just on the timeline, with view take info selected the clip is tagged with the wrong name, its not changing the file outside of the timeline
farss wrote on 7/18/2011, 6:58 AM
In actuality Vegas is not replacing the file, if it did that then the wrong file name would be listed in the project media list. It seems that Vegas does not use that name to open the file, possibly it uses another hashed table that is not visible, only speculation though.

The best guess from not long after this problem first started to surface is it's being caused by a corrupted Undo buffer. Certainly in the one instance I've had of this going wrong that would fit what happened. The incorrect file was one that was previously on the timeline and that seems to be the experience of others as well. You'll never find it just putting some random file as the replacement.

It should be possible for the SCS guys to write a bit of sanity checking code to detect this error. Vegas knows the correct path and file name, it's in the friggin Project Media list, not that hard to compare that with the name that the file open call is trying to open.

Best suggestions I can give to minimise the chances of this happening.

1) Try not to keep hitting Ctl+Z too much and when you do, have a quick glance around the T/L, did it do what you expected or did it do nothing and you've just hit it again. Maybe it did undo something but not the right thing, be alert.

2) Already mentioned. Save often to incremental project names. That's all well and good except on big projects it maybe days before you realise something has gone wrong and your backups are all corrupted.

SCS is aware of this problem. When they do fix it I'd be amazed if it is not listed in the release notes. As they haven't done so and based on the number of reports of this problem I think I can safely say there's those who've had this problem and those who haven't....yet.

Bob.
Kimberly wrote on 7/18/2011, 8:48 AM
Just a harebrained thought, as I have never had this problem and I've given Vegas 10b a daily workout for the past six months . . .

If it's related to a corrupt Undo buffer, how many users access the Undo via the keyboard shortcut CRTL+Z versus the menu option Edit/Undo. I'm asking because I use almost no keyboard shortcuts, only the menu. Yeah, yeah, I know shortcuts are a great timesaver, but to be honest, I haven't really used keyboard shortcuts in any program since Ye Olde Days of Lotus in DOS (/fs, /fo, and so on).

Just a thought in case the programming behind CRTL+Z insn't functioning exactly as the developers intended. In theory it should do exactly what the menu does, but unless you see the code, you never know.
Randy Brown wrote on 7/18/2011, 1:21 PM
you forgot one:

Absolutely, this has been a known issue for some time...last time I sent a problem ticket in (a long-ass time ago) they simply replied that it's a known issue and they're working on it.
I haven't had it happen in a while but very surprised it's STILL going on.
winrockpost wrote on 7/18/2011, 2:38 PM
Kimberly not a harebrained thought at all.. thanks for trying to help.
I have delivered the project but keeping the media in case sony someday has an interest like you, and wants to see what is going on
thanks
dave