Why can't select multiple audio events & change their properties?

Comments

RogerS wrote on 3/19/2023, 9:38 AM

Development is about priorities. If only one person cares about something it's not going to get resources allocated to it. Congrats, there are now multiple people agreeing it would be a good idea thanks to this thread.

Devs are most likely to see it in the feature requests thread and it can link back to here. Hopefully they won't miss it with the pointless rhetoric on scripting.

Custom PC (2022) Intel i5-13600K with UHD 770 iGPU with latest driver, MSI z690 Tomahawk motherboard, 64GB Corsair DDR5 5200 ram, NVIDIA 2080 Super (8GB) with latest studio driver, 2TB Hynix P41 SSD and 2TB Samsung 980 Pro cache drive, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit

ASUS Zenbook Intel i9-13900H with Intel graphics iGPU with latest ASUS driver, NVIDIA 4060 (8GB) with latest studio driver, 48GB system ram, Windows 11 Home, 1TB Samsung SSD.

VEGAS Pro 21.208
VEGAS Pro 22.122

Try the
VEGAS 4K "sample project" benchmark (works with VP 16+): https://forms.gle/ypyrrbUghEiaf2aC7
VEGAS Pro 20 "Ad" benchmark (works with VP 20+): https://forms.gle/eErJTR87K2bbJc4Q7

jetdv wrote on 3/19/2023, 1:06 PM

I don't want to buy scripts for simple functions missing in Vegas, which comes as default in every other decent software.

Wasn't asking you to. Was going offer it for free.

I already pay for Vegas and I expect it to do simple things like being able to change properties of multiple event. 

And it can - just not in the way you prefer.

I hope this multi-event properties thing will be native soon.

Hopefully that functionality can be added.

A Vegas that doesn't need scripts is a [better] Vegas.

The fact that VEGAS allows scripts makes it a better VEGAS. The ability to automate tasks has saved me a ton of time over the years. The feature works so well in VEGAS that Adobe added Scripting to Premiere and Resolve also has a form of scripting.

No, scripting isn't always the answer. We've agreed on that point. But jumping to conclusions that "we're asking you to buy features that should be included" isn't what's happening here. The offer was a free script that would have let you set that one parameter for all selected events. It would not have even needed a screen meaning it would have been much faster that the option you're requesting. Plus nobody is saying that your request is a bad request. The offers were simply to help you TODAY to get past an issue you're having TODAY with tools that are available TODAY. Hopefully more tools will be available in the future.

Rednroll wrote on 3/19/2023, 4:10 PM

Hi Ed, since the Reaper comparison has been raised and if you’re still actively developing scripts I have a great suggestion via an available Reaper script.

Awhile back I had mentioned one of the challenges with Vegas scripts is that they’re difficult for the average Vegas user to even know where to look for them and suggested it would be nice if there was a centralized host repository to make finding them easier.

A script developer for Reaper came up with an even better solution to that problem. They wrote a script called “ReaScript” for Reaper. How it works is that you run that script, and it provides a list of the majority of scripts others have created and a description of what they do. They seem to have identified the online hosting locations for all these scripts and the user clicks on an install button while in Reaper and it fetches and installs that script. It also has a “check for updates” feature which checks to see if their has been any changes to every script you have installed. New scripts that are created by other developers are encouraged to send a message to the ReaScript developer and he will add their scripts to the available list within ReaScript. It’s a brilliant solution to a problem and eliminates a lot of user frustrations when a particular feature is not in the app but a script has been developed instead since the users just run ReaScript to easily identify if a script is a available to solve their particular use case issue/frustration. Seems like a great missing link script solution for Vegas if a script developer could make it happen. Look up "ReaScript" in Reaper for a hands on experience. I love it!

I just released a Vegas style theme/skin for Reaper to make the user interface more comfortable for me to use when switching between using Vegas and Reaper. I recently found out that theme's are also listed in ReaScript as well so I will likely be reaching out to the ReaScript developer in the near future to see what info he needs to include it.

noisywan wrote on 3/19/2023, 4:22 PM

I was a script user until TODAY I met the guy who makes them :)

A Vegas that doesn't need scripts is a better Vegas! Say no to scrpts!

Ok, jedtv keep quoting... I made some intentional typos in this msg so you can put them in brackets like you did above :) Surely you'll sell more scripts with this approach.

noisywan wrote on 3/19/2023, 4:24 PM

Development is about priorities. If only one person cares about something it's not going to get resources allocated to it. Congrats, there are now multiple people agreeing it would be a good idea thanks to this thread.

Devs are most likely to see it in the feature requests thread and it can link back to here. Hopefully they won't miss it with the pointless rhetoric on scripting.

%1000 agreed with that

lan-mLMC wrote on 3/19/2023, 10:24 PM

Why Vegas developers have been ignoring such a basic feature for such a long time?

Hey @noisywan , the current reality is that VegasCreativeSoftware has only 6 engineers who can actually program, unlike Adobe, Apple, or BlackMagic Design, which have dozens or even hundreds of engineers.

So the right thing to do is to seek the support of users who have the same needs. Once you have more users supporting you, the higher the priority of the request will be.

I used to prove the importance of Bezier keyframe requests by constantly searching for dozens of users with the same requirements. Finally, after nearly a year of delay and preparation, the developer implemented it in Vegas 19 build 636. So it's a long way to go, because the team is so short of manpower.

Rednroll wrote on 3/20/2023, 1:00 AM

Why Vegas developers have been ignoring such a basic feature for such a long time?

Hey @noisywan , the current reality is that VegasCreativeSoftware has only 6 engineers who can actually program, unlike Adobe, Apple, or BlackMagic Design, which have dozens or even hundreds of engineers.

So the right thing to do is to seek the support of users who have the same needs. Once you have more users supporting you, the higher the priority of the request will be.

I used to prove the importance of Bezier keyframe requests by constantly searching for dozens of users with the same requirements. Finally, after nearly a year of delay and preparation, the developer implemented it in Vegas 19 build 636. So it's a long way to go, because the team is so short of manpower.

It seems like a logical explanation when you make the comparison to the larger companies like Adobe, Apple and BlackMagic. I'm thankful Magix picked up Vegas development to keep it alive. However, over the past few years I've taken a different perspective after seeing what can be done with even fewer developers than Magix has working on Vegas. I feel there is a lack of efficiencies where the developer's hands end up being tied due to overhead corporate mangers, project managers, and corporate marketing and version upgrade strategies.

So let's compare Vegas to Reaper instead. Reaper started off with one developer. That developer was actually a prior Vegas user who grew frustrated with Vegas when it started on it's downward corporate spiral under the Sony corporate umbrella. Reaper currently has a total of 3 developers. 2 that write the code and a 3rd which strictly works on the user interface. In less than half the time Vegas has been around, Reaper has accomplished and exceeded what users have requested for many many years going back to the Sony days in providing all the Vegas audio features combined with Acid Pro's features. Something until this very day neither Acid or Vegas has achieved. What Reaper doesn't have is a crew of decision makers above them telling them what they can and can't work on. They instead listen to their user's frustrations, make their own decisions and get to work on providing solutions and they don't have to wait for some made up future release marketing strategy to provide the users those features. If a bug escapes in a new feature update release, they work on fixing it and provide a release with a fix within a week....not months. And some how, they're able to do it at a $60 price tag with a never expiring full featured trial release with nothing more than a reminder nag screen separating the differences between the trial version and the $60 registered version. Paying for the app ends up being done on the honor system where most users pay it since they see the benefits of supporting the developers. Reaper seems to have figured out that less resources can actually be more.

It's difficult for me to make excuses for Magix's business model development strategy and only having 6 developers working on Vegas after seeing what can be done with fewer resources working on Reaper's development. However, I can thank those Sony and now Magix inefficiencies on their development for being the inspiration for what is now Reaper. I now have a great DAW to work with which has combined the Vegas and Acid Pro audio features into a single app and taken the feature set even further then either of those apps. Acid Pro is about officially dead, with many of their past users now using Reaper. Reaper already has multi-track video editing features in addition to audio and midi support. If those 3 developers decide to shift their development focus on creating video plugins and offering OMF plugin support, we can look forward to having these conversations with everyone here on the Vegas forum, over at the Reaper forums.

Reaper offers scripting support as well. What I have observed on that front is that while many of the early user script features provided a bridge for lacking native features, Reaper used those scripts as a development roadmap and eventually built many of those functions into Reaper natively like as being requested in this discussion. Oh, and they some how did all this while providing MAC and LINUX support releases as well as PC.

I don't know what is the right solution for Vegas but I can no longer make the excuse that lack of common/expected functionality is due to a lack of development resources when I see what Reaper has done in less time with less resources and costing less without having yearly major release versions asking for more $ to provide 5-10 additional features with some bug fixes thrown in. That's like a weekly update release cycle for Reaper.

Rednroll wrote on 3/20/2023, 7:58 AM

I don't know what they have planned on the NLE side of Reaper and don't fully know it's current capabilities or limitations on the NLE side as well since I have continued to use Vegas for video editing since it's been like wearing an old hat to me. I do know some users use Reaper to edit and publish Youtube videos strictly using Reaper and I do continue to look at their release/change logs with each new update when an update is released like clockwork every 2-3 weeks with each new update adding features. This is their most recent release update change log, where a couple items caught my eye on the video side features.

v6.78 - March 14 2023:

+ Accessibility: improve description of render postprocessing (normalize/limit/fade)
+ Actions: add action to maximize height of selected items in free item positioning mode
+ Actions: fix time selection sometimes being cleared when running action to set tempo from selection [t=266880]
+ FX: enable actions for last tweaked parameter for non-track FX
+ FX: show built-in VST/AU/LV2 preset names in FX browser/project bay [t=276743]
+ FX: fix loading of REAPER presets for VST shell plug-ins in FX browser/Project Bay [t=276743]

* + FX: show video processors in project bay
* + FX: show video processor presets in FX browser

+ MIDI: apply preference for filename format for recorded files to recorded in-project MIDI items [p=2654713]
+ MIDI: auto-name new MIDI items similarly to new audio media items, without "untitled MIDI item"
+ MIDI: snap edge edits to start/end points of non-looping but pooled MIDI items
+ MIDI editor: improve performance when removing MIDI items/switching editor contexts [t=274637]
+ MIDI editor: fix window position saving when maximized/zoomed on Linux/macOS
+ MIDI editor: screensets include maximized/zoomed window state
+ MIDI editor: when restoring screensets, obey preference for opening all project or all track MIDI
+ Project tabs: doubleclick empty area in tab list to create new tab [t=263589]
+ Render: $marker wildcard matches the first marker within the rendered time range, or latest marker before the start [t=276600]
+ Render: display correct file length in render statistics chart when using custom project playrate [t=276806]
+ Render: display peaks for the file that is selected in render statistics list view
+ Render: fix displaying extra rows in render statistics when using secondary render format and rendering multiple files [t=276837]
+ Snap: do not snap to phantom loop points of non-looping items [t=276830]
+ Track panels: improve tooltips for FX bypass button with no FX
+ Vertical zoom: fix issues with themes that have duplicate common heights defined [t=276801]
+ VST: change 12/14/16 channel mode priority to default to 6.75 behavior [t=276901]
+ Windows: fix keyboard focus on various rename windows

Would be interesting to compare that to the most recent Vegas change log.

EricLNZ wrote on 3/20/2023, 5:42 PM

Ladies and Gentlemen, this thread has gone way off topic so I'm closing it.

@noisywan Thank you for posting in the "Feature Request" thread.