"AsusSetup.exe"(any) on 7950x system Kills VP19/VP20 (Literally).

hambonio wrote on 10/22/2022, 4:39 PM

...But currently I have the CPU undervolted and running much cooler with faster render times than stock settings. Current stats: 5.3Ghz ALL CORE, 1.15v, 137.8 Watts max, and max temp of 55.3C (read more below)

TLDR Issue: The title says it all. I built a new R9 7050x system on the Asus Crosshair x670e. Almost 2 weeks of trouble shooting I can confidently say that while installing motherboard drivers using anything that has "AsusSetup.exe" ANY of them or using an automated installer, you will end up killing VP19 (and assuming VP20 as I was getting similar graphical issues running the trial when I made the video below) if you use it for about 15 minutes. VP19 then will completely crash on opening. Any project, even blank projects, 100% of the time unless I uninstall and reinstall VP19 again, but then starts the graphical issues that eventually lead to it being dead again.

TLDR Workaround: Instead of using automatic installers for motherboard drivers, head to ASUS support site for the motherboard and download each driver separately. THEN DO NOT click on AsusSetup.exe to install these drivers. Instead I only used the .bat and .cmd files for installation. A couple drivers IIRC had secondary setup installers that also seemed to not break anything, but my advice is to use the .bat and .cmd files wherever possible. If you are even more tech savvy I am sure you could handpick each of these drivers and place them yourself.

Semi Shortened backstory - This was a long post in the making, still will probably be kind of long but I have cut it way down as I figured out what was going on. In the following video I made over a week ago hoping to find answers here, you can see how messed up the UI is in VP19 (and VP20 was doing the same). All of the tabs and color grading section had wicked graphical bugs arising.

(This video was captured before my fully bare WIN10/VP19 installation but that was the exact same result)

VIDEO:

This was a FRESH Win 10 install with only VP19 installed. Nothing else. (or so I thought). I even upgraded to Win 11 and this did not help. I tried the previous 4 builds of VP19 and all had the same issue. I was furious. From just light playing around on the timeline, my files straight out of my a7SIII were playing flawlessly at full framerate with no lag to start. I have never seen this kind of responsiveness while lookin at my raw footage unless I either used proxies (yuck) or MagicYUV first to use oversized less compressed footage. But with this looking promising, I could not use the app.

Then I went back to Microcenter. Talked to the salesperson and even though he was pretty sure it was not the issue I purchased the only QVL RAM they had that matched my board. I know I had issues in the past with non QVL memory - but actually never even had to test this QVL RAM out. My current RAM is 64GB (2x32GB) G.Skill F5-6000J3040G32GX2-TZ5RK which is not on the Crosshair QVL (yet?), but does appear on the "Step sister" Maximus z790 board QVL. I can attest so far that this RAM has been incredible and have run many tests on it and it is running as stable as can be running in the DOCP II/XPOII profile.

The salespersons suggestion was to try my installation from my old PC on the new PC. I used Acronis to make an image, loaded it to the 7950x system, and voila! No more graphical issues in VP19!

Okay, great - this seemed to work - but the base install for my old system was from 2019, and was looking forward to a 100% fresh system install on this PC.

So going back on my steps while I thought I had a fresh Win 10 and VP19 only install, there was one step I forgot about: No default windows WiFi/LAN drivers seemed to be working on the fresh windows install so I did use the USB provided with the motherboard to install drivers to get my internet to work. I was doing this first before installing Vegas as I needed internet to download the install files and did not have them saved anywhere else. SO.... This led to more insanity while troubleshooting. What appeared as issues from a fresh install actually came from the way the drivers were installed but not the drivers themselves.

In the end after doing this install close to a dozen times I figured it out. This situation happened any time I used AsusSetup.exe in any of the driver folders to install the driver. Installing using the other methods never messed anything up. Everything was working like a dream.

For the record - I tried this with VP19 (4 different versions) and VP20 (it was a trial at the start of my test but have since purchased it). I tried VP17 and that seemed to work perfectly fine. I had VP18 installed on my PC but never did get a chance to check that, so something in at least VP19 and VP20 is not playing nice with the ASUS installer. Which is weird. This is just the installer after it is run, not the actual driver. Makes me wonder.....

FAST FORWARD TO CURRENT RESULTS! 5.3Ghz ALL CORE, 1.15v, 137.8 Watts max, and max temp of 55.3C

After the 13900k benchmarks started to be released the past couple days, I had a tiny bit of buyers remorse for not waiting, but in the end I knew I had a solid system.

The other day I played around with curve optimization. With a -30 offset (my chip must be one of the good ones which never happens) and limiting the temps to 85C this thing still seemed to be getting me fantastic results. Max watts were around 230W. I was happy my CPU was not hitting the supposedly safe 95C AMD claims is okay. So I used that for a few days.

Then this morning I tried some other tweaking.

I completely reverted the BIOS changes on the Curve and Temp limiter. The only thing in the BIOS different from stock at this point is simply putting on the DOCP II profile for the RAM.

I decided to try Ryzen Master and went the super KISS route. I simply set my all core to 5.3Ghz, and my voltage to 1.15. The rest is history.

EDIT: Some reason I cannot upload screenshots, so I have compiled a video of my screenshots below.

This first Screenshot was Default settings, only DOCPII in Bios. Using Voukoder renderer this was giving me max watts of 191.347W, and temps in the Mid 80C's. My radiator fans were as loud as can be.

This Second Screenshot was simply setting all core in Ryzen Master to 5.3 and Voltage to 1.15. Using the project region to render with Voukoder, I was now getting max watts of 137.838 Watts (~55W Savings) and max temps of 55.3°C. (Almost a 30°C difference!). Not only that my fans never spun up. Everything now stays nice and cool without making noise.

Then for the kicker - check these out! Going to the Undervolting I actually did the identical render 1.5 seconds faster than with stock settings! Win-Win-Win!

So - do I regret not waiting to see how Intel performed? Absolutely not!

Oh and BTW I did score over 40000 on Cinebench with playing with the curve optimizer in the BIOS. No, that is not the settings I will be using long term, but I believe from the handful of videos I watched - and I cannot remember which one, but the only mainstream youtuber that cracked 40000 on Cinebench was using the 13900k.

This 7950x system is able to compete with all benchmarks I have seen with some minor tweaking. Everything seems to be falling within a small margin of error - so no matter which of these 2 CPU ecosystems you choose, you should not be disappointed. Yes you would be insane to keep the system running at its max - but maybe you are that person. For me, I think I have found my happy spot now for nice and stable cool and quiet VP19/20 use. Just curious to now see what kind of undervolting can be done with the 13900k...

Lastly - H.265. This 7950x system eats those files and they play back and edit at full framerate. Something my old 3900x could barely get a frame every 5 seconds to play.

Comments

hambonio wrote on 10/22/2022, 4:41 PM

Okay does anyone know why all of my screenshots I posted in the post above will not upload? I have great supporting images!

EDIT: I have made a video of the screenshots I wanted to share edited into the post above.

john_dennis wrote on 10/22/2022, 9:24 PM

@hambonio

"Okay does anyone know why all of my screenshots I posted in the post above will not upload?"

This support forum has been in a state of upgrade for some time, now and uploads are one of the issues that are still unresolved.

Former user wrote on 10/23/2022, 2:17 AM

Lastly - H.265. This 7950x system eats those files and they play back and edit at full framerate. Something my old 3900x could barely get a frame every 5 seconds to play.

How does this file play for you?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gkd6z2e6yb5pdy4/P1010193.MOV?dl=0

BruceUSA wrote on 10/23/2022, 9:09 AM

"FAST FORWARD TO CURRENT RESULTS! 5.3Ghz ALL CORE, 1.15v, 137.8 Watts max, and max temp of 55.3C

The other day I played around with curve optimization. With a -30 offset (my chip must be one of the good ones which never happens) and limiting the temps to 85C this thing still seemed to be getting me fantastic results. Max watts were around 230W. I was happy my CPU was not hitting the supposedly safe 95C AMD claims is okay. So I used that for a few days."

So which one is more accurate statement here? low voltage high clock means jacks if it can do the real works. Probably will falling off on Cinebench run. For idling to have a :) is cool. Real works is what make a different.

Intel i7 12700k @5.2Ghz all P Cores, 5.3@ 6 Core, Turbo boost 3 Cores @5.4Ghz. 4.1Ghz All E Cores.                                          

MSI Z690 MPG Edge DDR5 Wifi                                                     

TEAMGROUP T-Force Delta RGB 32GB DDR5 -6200                     

Samsung 980 Pro x4 Nvme .M2 1tb Pcie Gen 4                                     

ASRock RX 6900XT Phantom 16GB                                                        

PSU Eva Supernova G2 1300w                                                     

Black Ice GTX 480mm radiator top mount push/pull                    

MCP35X dual pump w/ dual pump housing.                                

Corsair RGB water block. RGB Fan thru out                           

Phanteks Enthoo full tower

Windows 11 Pro

Howard-Vigorita wrote on 10/23/2022, 9:37 AM

Most of my motherboards are made by asus but in recent years they seem to be packaging a little too much bloatware in with their drivers. Almost as much as Microsoft. You might want to go through your installed apps and get rid of anything you don't need. For instance, many folks have problems with Sonic Studio and it's underlying nahimic driver which asus buries into it's realtek audio driver and WinUpdate will put back if you allow it to automatically do driver updates. You can search this forum or the nvidia forum for ways to deal with that one... best strategy in my experience is to patch their blacklist so it excludes Vegas. Magix and Vegas apparently need to join the party... you'll find almost every other app in creation already listed there. Which is kind of an odd 'requirement' since they already have a whitelist right next to it containing the handful of games that depend on it.

hambonio wrote on 10/23/2022, 5:23 PM

Most of my motherboards are made by asus but in recent years they seem to be packaging a little too much bloatware in with their drivers. Almost as much as Microsoft. You might want to go through your installed apps and get rid of anything you don't need. For instance, many folks have problems with Sonic Studio and it's underlying nahimic driver which asus buries into it's realtek audio driver and WinUpdate will put back if you allow it to automatically do driver updates. You can search this forum or the nvidia forum for ways to deal with that one... best strategy in my experience is to patch their blacklist so it excludes Vegas. Magix and Vegas apparently need to join the party... you'll find almost every other app in creation already listed there. Which is kind of an odd 'requirement' since they already have a whitelist right next to it containing the handful of games that depend on it.

I did not install any software per se. The only .exe I used was the AMD_Chipset_Software.exe to install those drivers, but I did not have the same issue with that as I did using the AsusSetup.exe, although that program still exists in that folder, I just ignored it. I did not install any ASUS software like Crate, or AI Suite, EZ update etc. No Sonic Studio, but I do see nahimic.exe running in task manager. What is it and what is the issue? As far as the AsusSetup.exe, I am baffled on why it would mess my PC up system wide just by running it. I have tried running from various driver folders and resetting windows to make sure I was seeing this correctly. It is 100% happening after I run that .exe specifically.

"FAST FORWARD TO CURRENT RESULTS! 5.3Ghz ALL CORE, 1.15v, 137.8 Watts max, and max temp of 55.3C

The other day I played around with curve optimization. With a -30 offset (my chip must be one of the good ones which never happens) and limiting the temps to 85C this thing still seemed to be getting me fantastic results. Max watts were around 230W. I was happy my CPU was not hitting the supposedly safe 95C AMD claims is okay. So I used that for a few days."

So which one is more accurate statement here? low voltage high clock means jacks if it can do the real works. Probably will falling off on Cinebench run. For idling to have a :) is cool. Real works is what make a different.

I am not using the curve optimizer in the bios anymore. The only thing non stock in the bios is the DOCPII setting for the RAM. Simply using basic Ryzen Master settings at the moment. Now, I did just run cinebench and it crashed at those settings about 9 minutes in. But I did use VP20 all day yesterday with plenty of rendering and it never crashed. For VP20 purposes and it seems like anything else it is pretty stable. I found a setting that is "okay" for cinebench that still keeps my CPU temps under 80°C. 5.2Ghz, 1.185 Volts. That did run up to 200 watts though. Cinebench score with that is 38826.

Interesting still is now that render that was taking 2:03 before is now finishing in 0:53 - YES 53 seconds! This has me really baffled. I even went back to my old settings and that was 54 seconds - so pretty much same result. This is the same render template, project and region that I tested the other day. What in the....... I do not have any experience with Voukoder before this week, so I am not used to how it renders or times etc. All I can tell you is my data from my tests this week. And now it is rendering more than 2x the speed it was the other day with the same settings.

This file seems to play fine, or good enough for my standards. Placing it directly on the timeline and playing without proxies I am getting over 50fps. That plays better than the 60p files I get off my a7SIII.

Former user wrote on 10/23/2022, 7:49 PM

This file seems to play fine, or good enough for my standards. Placing it directly on the timeline and playing without proxies I am getting over 50fps. That plays better than the 60p files I get off my a7SIII.

Definitely plays better than my 5900x. @hambonio did you have Legacy HEVC ticked or unticked?

If ticked, your playback just makes sense, Vegas Legacy HEVC uses multithreaded playback for this file, so can take advantage of all your CPU and it should be faster. Of more interest is playback with the GPU decoder (legacy HEVC unticked) I get 2-3 frames displayed in total using FULL/BEST

hambonio wrote on 10/23/2022, 8:56 PM

Definitely plays better than my 5900x. @hambonio did you have Legacy HEVC ticked or unticked?

Legacy decoding is ticked. I just turned it off. Yeah, that file does not play well at all. I think I saw 2 frames playing that short clip. That seems to be about as good as my 3900x was at playing HEVC files. Now I need to pull out my camera, I have not natively recorded HEVC on it yet now that I think of it, but the HEVC files I have rendered have played back at full speed. I suspect if your file was a bit longer that the playback would catch up and might play at full speed. I will be back shortly......

Former user wrote on 10/23/2022, 10:07 PM

@hambonio That's a 10bit HEVC, many camera types can not be played back using the Vegas Gpu decoder, the slow down happens because the Gpu decoder is single threaded, so you're trying to playback a 4K HEVC with a single Cpu core and NO actual Gpu decoding. I had thought due to your Cpu's much higher single threaded performance it would show a higher playback performance than 2 or 3 frames, not anything usable but maybe 4 or 5 frames instead. Playback did not increase in performance, but like you say file is a bit short

hambonio wrote on 10/24/2022, 12:37 AM

@hambonio That's a 10bit HEVC, many camera types can not be played back using the Vegas Gpu decoder, the slow down happens because the Gpu decoder is single threaded, so you're trying to playback a 4K HEVC with a single Cpu core and NO actual Gpu decoding. I had thought due to your Cpu's much higher single threaded performance it would show a higher playback performance than 2 or 3 frames, not anything usable but maybe 4 or 5 frames instead. Playback did not increase in performance, but like you say file is a bit short

60p 10 bit 4:2:0 HEVC on Sony a7SIII plays pretty damn good. 4.2.2 sucks. I think I will stick with XAVCS-4K for now as I can get 4:2:2 out of it and it plays great.

bev-sBev wrote on 11/6/2022, 4:11 PM

Many thanks for this info. I am just building a 7950X system. Much appreciated.