Comments

JohnnyRoy wrote on 5/23/2016, 7:30 PM
This is incredibly good news. :-D

Think about it...

Sony Creative Software was a staple at the NAB Show. They were there every year. People couldn't wait to go to the huge Vegas Pro User Group Meeting on Monday nights. Then last year, there was no User Group Meeting at NAB. Then this year, there was no Sony Creative Software at NAB. Let's face it folks... it was the end of SCS. (very sad)

Would you rather Vegas Pro take the same trajectory as ACID Pro 7 currently being sold in 2016 when it hasn't been updated since Jan. 6, 2011 !!! That's 5 years ago!!!!!! That could easily had been Vegas Pro's fate.

At least Vegas Pro (and who knows maybe even ACID Pro) have a chance at a future with a company (MAGIX) that is dedicated to building great multi-media software.

Vegas Pro has found a new home and will live on. That's good news any way you cut it.

~jr
BruceUSA wrote on 5/23/2016, 7:47 PM
Wow this is absolutely a good news that Vegas Pro got a new home. Vegas Pro will continue to live on.

Intel i7 12700k @5.2Ghz all P Cores, 5.3@ 6 Core, Turbo boost 3 Cores @5.4Ghz. 4.1Ghz All E Cores.                                          

MSI Z690 MPG Edge DDR5 Wifi                                                     

TEAMGROUP T-Force Delta RGB 32GB DDR5 -6200                     

Samsung 980 Pro x4 Nvme .M2 1tb Pcie Gen 4                                     

ASRock RX 6900XT Phantom 16GB                                                        

PSU Eva Supernova G2 1300w                                                     

Black Ice GTX 480mm radiator top mount push/pull                    

MCP35X dual pump w/ dual pump housing.                                

Corsair RGB water block. RGB Fan thru out                           

Phanteks Enthoo full tower

Windows 11 Pro

Andrew B wrote on 5/23/2016, 7:50 PM
Hopefully they will continue to develop the application and add new functionality (and stability) like Adobe has done with Macromedia - but WITHOUT the subscription plan.

Although we now shooting exclusively in 4K, we are still having great success with Vegas 13.
I do have a feeling we will need to get familiar with Catalyst just in case we need to jump ship down the road.

...and I have to also add my gratitude to the forum leaders and contributors for providing the absolute BEST support system I have ever seen. (with the AVID Pro-Tools community a close second)

So have we figured out where to start posting over at MAGIX to let them know how many rabid/loyal users they are inheriting?

Andrew
musicvid10 wrote on 5/23/2016, 7:57 PM
There was a clue about this about six weeks ago on a blog, as I recall.
Like most things speculative in video editing, I succeeded in ignoring it.
I just thank god it's not Avid' s press release.

BruceUSA wrote on 5/23/2016, 8:07 PM
I wonder what will happen to this forum future? Any one guess?

Intel i7 12700k @5.2Ghz all P Cores, 5.3@ 6 Core, Turbo boost 3 Cores @5.4Ghz. 4.1Ghz All E Cores.                                          

MSI Z690 MPG Edge DDR5 Wifi                                                     

TEAMGROUP T-Force Delta RGB 32GB DDR5 -6200                     

Samsung 980 Pro x4 Nvme .M2 1tb Pcie Gen 4                                     

ASRock RX 6900XT Phantom 16GB                                                        

PSU Eva Supernova G2 1300w                                                     

Black Ice GTX 480mm radiator top mount push/pull                    

MCP35X dual pump w/ dual pump housing.                                

Corsair RGB water block. RGB Fan thru out                           

Phanteks Enthoo full tower

Windows 11 Pro

stephenv2 wrote on 5/23/2016, 8:17 PM
Magix has forums - I just checked - so we will just all move over that at some point. Not sure if they will migrate or archive old content but they look like they have at least the equal level of forums, FAQs, blogs, tutorials that SCS or Sonic Foundry have/had.

Actually it looks a bit better, so I'm hopeful. They look like a company very active, focused and committed, not like SCS in recent years.
Tech Diver wrote on 5/23/2016, 8:22 PM
Wunderbar!
stephenv2 wrote on 5/23/2016, 8:25 PM
I completely agree with JohnnyRoy - after the initial surprise, a quick google search shows a company that is active, product and customer focused.

Acid 7 is a great example. An app I loved that I've stopped using about 3 years ago when it was clear it was dead. Interesting that is is part of the sale although I would expect it to be absorbed into other apps. Hopefully Vegas will get MIDI tracks and playback like ProTools has.

But for Vegas Pro - I think this is as good as we could possibly hope. Sold to a company that understands the market and customers (as opposed to say a company that writes word processing apps), is small and nimble like Sonic Foundry was but large enough to have tech support/customer service worked out.

But not large and bloated where Vegas Pro would just be absorbed and/or neglected.

For those of us that still want Vegas to be a viable NLE for many years, we have to jump behind this all in as there is no other alternative other than jumping ship.

I'm all in the Magix until they sell or kill the product. Vegas is still my NLE and DAW of choice and has been since April 2001 when I bought V2 LE which I upgrade to full in September 2001.
PeterWright wrote on 5/23/2016, 8:41 PM
Good news.

Geoff Wood, if you have the ear of Klaus Schmidt maybe you can ask him to negotiate to absorb the treasure of knowledge and goodwill from this forum into his.
set wrote on 5/23/2016, 8:43 PM
Sehr interessant ... Wir freuen uns für sie...

Very interesting... Looking forward to this...

Setiawan Kartawidjaja
Bandung, West Java, Indonesia (UTC+7 Time Area)

Personal FB | Personal IG | Personal YT Channel
Chungs Video FB | Chungs Video IG | Chungs Video YT Channel
Personal Portfolios YouTube Playlist
Pond5 page: My Stock Footage of Bandung city

System 5-2021:
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Video Card1: Intel UHD Graphics 630 (Driver 31.0.101.2127 (Feb 1 2024 Release date))
Video Card2: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GDDR6 (Driver Version 551.23 Studio Driver (Jan 24 2024 Release Date))
RAM: 32.0 GB
Drive OS: SSD 240GB
Drive Working: NVMe 1TB
Drive Storage: 4TB+2TB

System 2-2018:
ASUS ROG Strix Hero II GL504GM Gaming Laptop
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 8750H CPU @2.20GHz 2.21 GHz
Video Card 1: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630 (Driver 31.0.101.2111)
Video Card 2: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5 VRAM (Driver Version 537.58)
RAM: 16GB
Storage: M.2 NVMe PCIe 256GB SSD & 2.5" 5400rpm 1TB SSHD

* I don't work for VEGAS Creative Software Team. I'm just Voluntary Moderator in this forum.

VidMus wrote on 5/23/2016, 9:47 PM
I would like to see a 'sticky' on top with some details on this deal and how it affects us and this forum. Some details on the transition from Sony to Magix.

This will help us know what to expect and when. Also, what needs to be done to make this as smooth as possible for everyone.

Tim L wrote on 5/23/2016, 9:48 PM
Apparently Klaus Schmidt (Magix CEO) posted this on LinkedIn about a 3-1/2 weeks ago (April 29):

"Opening our new Develoment Studio in USA / Madison Wi soon. We are hiring. Looking for senior software developer"

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/opening-our-new-develoment-studio-usa-madison-wi-soon-klaus-schmidt?articleId=6131882190767747072#comments-6131882190767747072&trk=prof-post

I just hope they sincerely plan to continue developing Vegas. Too many times when a software company buys a competitor, they are just buying the user base (and maybe a patent portfolio) and the original software products just fade away.
VidMus wrote on 5/23/2016, 9:49 PM
@ Tim L,

They already said there will be a new version this fall.
Geoff_Wood wrote on 5/23/2016, 9:52 PM
Sorry, I don't. But I'm sure there will be people remaining involved who are well aware of everything relating to the SoFoSo heritage, and I would hope that everything past (forums, knowledge-bases, training, etc) are somehow retained or migrated to their system intact..

The Magix 'Development Centre' in Madison is presumably situated there, instead of anywhere else, for a reason ...

geoff
NickHope wrote on 5/23/2016, 9:57 PM
"Geoff Wood, if you have the ear of Klaus Schmidt maybe you can ask him to negotiate to absorb the treasure of knowledge and goodwill from this forum into his."

I have made the comment on his post, which I was able to do as Linkedin user without being connected with him. I suggest we don't inundate him with comments though!

Congratulations Klaus! As a long-time user of Vegas Pro I'm delighted it has a future. Please find away to preserve and continue the existing Sony Creative Software community forums under the MAGIX banner. There is an absolute wealth of information there going back many years, and I constantly refer to it. It would be tragic to lose that, not least for your technical support department."
set wrote on 5/23/2016, 10:04 PM
Should we invite Klaus Schmidt to this forum, or LinkedIn Sony Vegas User group perhaps?

(just posting on his Pulse post anyway)

Setiawan Kartawidjaja
Bandung, West Java, Indonesia (UTC+7 Time Area)

Personal FB | Personal IG | Personal YT Channel
Chungs Video FB | Chungs Video IG | Chungs Video YT Channel
Personal Portfolios YouTube Playlist
Pond5 page: My Stock Footage of Bandung city

System 5-2021:
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Video Card1: Intel UHD Graphics 630 (Driver 31.0.101.2127 (Feb 1 2024 Release date))
Video Card2: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GDDR6 (Driver Version 551.23 Studio Driver (Jan 24 2024 Release Date))
RAM: 32.0 GB
Drive OS: SSD 240GB
Drive Working: NVMe 1TB
Drive Storage: 4TB+2TB

System 2-2018:
ASUS ROG Strix Hero II GL504GM Gaming Laptop
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 8750H CPU @2.20GHz 2.21 GHz
Video Card 1: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630 (Driver 31.0.101.2111)
Video Card 2: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5 VRAM (Driver Version 537.58)
RAM: 16GB
Storage: M.2 NVMe PCIe 256GB SSD & 2.5" 5400rpm 1TB SSHD

* I don't work for VEGAS Creative Software Team. I'm just Voluntary Moderator in this forum.

Steve_Rhoden wrote on 5/23/2016, 10:27 PM
A few clarifications you say ForumAdmin! A few clarifications?
Where were you or any of your team these past years to
make A few clarifications to the many users and loyal customers
here, who were constantly trying to get something from you?

But nothing but pure and disrespectful silence. You can keep Catalyst,
i want no part in it. As a Vegas Moderator and a loyal Vegas evangelist for
many years. I am now so disappointed in how you recently behaved as a
Company and have made me surprisingly bitter.

I hope Magix doesnt treat Vegas, Acid and Soundforge as you have treated these
awesome tools. You guys had everything to top the editing world and you threw it all away... Good luck with Catalyst.
VMP wrote on 5/23/2016, 10:38 PM
Didn't see this coming.

Please tell me this froum will be kept, or transferred to another location!

VMP
NickHope wrote on 5/23/2016, 10:38 PM
Video Pro X is quite Vegas-like and in a similar price bracket. Beyond the announced fall-release of Vegas, which may well mostly contain updates that the existing SCS team has already coded, I can't really see them continuing both products. Let's hope the best bits of the one that's dropped make it into the one that's kept.
monoparadox wrote on 5/23/2016, 10:50 PM
This is positive news for the future of Vegas. I've used Xara for years and remember when they were picked up by Magix a few years ago. They have allowed Xara to be pretty independent and I would assume they'll take the same road with SCS.

-- tom
deusx wrote on 5/23/2016, 10:51 PM
Well for me this sounds like great news. I don't know what exactly they are going to do with Vegas, but I have been using their Samplitude suite as my DAW and it's as good as it gets.

Hopefully they will market the studio version of Vegas alongside their consumer line and continue to treat/develop Vegas alongside their audio pro line ( Samplitude and Sequoia )

If one could add Vegas' video editing part to Samplitude it would make everything else look like garbage.

http://www.magix.com/us/samplitude/ That is the best DAW you can buy right now.
Geoff_Wood wrote on 5/23/2016, 10:52 PM
I would imagine he would at least be aware of it. But dang - I wasn't until now !

I guess the LinkedIn 'Sony Vegas Users' will need a new name now ....

geoff
Peter Siamidis wrote on 5/23/2016, 11:05 PM
"Video Pro X is quite Vegas-like and in a similar price bracket. Beyond the announced fall-release of Vegas, which may well mostly contain updates that the existing SCS team has already coded, I can't really see them continuing both products. Let's hope the best bits of the one that's dropped make it into the one that's kept."

Yeah I can't see them keeping both either. Short term the probably have to keep both but long term I imagine they will add Vegas Pro file import support to their Video Pro X program and migrate Vegas users to that, then drop Vegas Pro.

I had actually never even heard of Video Pro X before this though, anyone ever use it? I wonder if it's gpu support is better than Vegas Pro's, or if things like 4k scrubs are faster with it.
Former user wrote on 5/23/2016, 11:07 PM
Vegas is in need of a major core overhaul. Would not make sense to continue the old technology (VFW, etc) and would not make sense to re-write it if you already have an exisiting product. My feeling is it will be merged with their current product in name only.