Suggested Video effects for efficient processing

Crowyote wrote on 4/24/2020, 3:44 AM

Thanks for the welcome into the Vegas community.

As mentioned in a previous post I'm running a computer that can manage the bare minimum of processing VP17.

Intel i7-3630QM 8GB Ram @ 2.4 gHz (yeah I know, planning to upgrade soon . . .)

I'm very excited to finally get into professional editing software, but I've been a bit spoiled by ease of use of simplistic programs like Windows Movie Maker.

I love to do things like automated fades, animated effects, and I'm eager to get into double exposures. Just tonight I was trying out my first official video project and saw an effect that looked interesting "Newsprint." However, it quickly caused my program to crash. It seems like the perfect idea, as the video is intended to celebrate the life of my uncle who is in hospice at present. I thought I would let the program run a few hours as I had other things to do, but came back with the window still phased out 3 hours later.

So my question is this: What effects/animations are the most bang for the buck and will cause the least processing problems with a computer that just barely makes the minimum requirements? Any recommended processes for double exposure/ crossfading as well?

Comments

j-v wrote on 4/24/2020, 4:05 AM

Newsprint is a GPU accelerated effect as you can see in the FX list.
Maybe your GPU can not handle that.
Therefore if you use such a FX switch of the GPU acceleration in Options/Preferences/Video

met vriendelijke groet
Marten

Camera : Pan X900, GoPro Hero7 Hero Black, DJI Osmo Pocket, Samsung Galaxy A8
Desktop :MB Gigabyte Z390M, W11 home version 23H2, i7 9700 4.7Ghz,16 DDR4 GB RAM, Gef. GTX 1660 Ti with driver
561.09 Studiodriver and Intel HD graphics 630 with driver 31.0.101.2127
Laptop  :Asus ROG Str G712L, W11 home version 23H2, CPU i7-10875H, 16 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 with Studiodriver 561.09 and Intel UHD Graphics 630 with driver 31.0.101.2127
Vegas software: VP 10 to 21 and VMS(pl) 10,12 to 17.
TV      :LG 4K 55EG960V

My slogan is: BE OR BECOME A STEM CELL DONOR!!! (because it saved my life in 2016)

fr0sty wrote on 4/24/2020, 5:08 AM

Also, 16GB RAM is the minimum required to edit 1080p video in Vegas 17, 32GB recommended for 4k, so your system may be running short of RAM when you need to do certain things. Usually with effects, the cooler it looks, the more processing it needs to pull it off.

Crowyote wrote on 4/25/2020, 6:24 AM

Also, 16GB RAM is the minimum required to edit 1080p video in Vegas 17, 32GB recommended for 4k, so your system may be running short of RAM when you need to do certain things. Usually with effects, the cooler it looks, the more processing it needs to pull it off.

Ok . . . I don't really need to do that quality as of yet . . .I'm just doing igtv and youtube videos etc. where the crucial element is the audio.

Therefore if you use such a FX switch of the GPU acceleration in Options/Preferences/Video

I had a box checked in my internet and network options under the "Accelerated Graphics" header: "Use software rendering instead of GPU rendering."

Should I uncheck this?

Dexcon wrote on 4/25/2020, 6:51 AM

What effects/animations are the most bang for the buck and will cause the least processing problems with a computer that just barely makes the minimum requirements?

It's good that you recognise that your computer is way below spec for VP17. Fading and cross-fading (i.e. dissolve) on the timeline might be about it. Try experimenting with the FX you have available in VP17, and if your computer chokes on a particular FX, then you can be reasonably sure that the FX is not happy with the computer.

I'm just doing igtv and youtube videos etc.

That's a rendering/destination issue, not so much an editing issue. You still have to deal with your computer's ability to edit the source media on the timeline.

Cameras: Sony FDR-AX100E; GoPro Hero 11 Black Creator Edition

Installed: Vegas Pro 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 & 21, HitFilm Pro 2021.3, DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.5, BCC 2023.5, Mocha Pro 2023, Ignite Pro, NBFX TotalFX 7, Neat NR, DVD Architect 6.0, MAGIX Travel Maps, Sound Forge Pro 16, SpectraLayers Pro 11, iZotope RX10 Advanced and many other iZ plugins, Vegasaur 4.0

Windows 11

Dell Alienware Aurora 11

10th Gen Intel i9 10900KF - 10 cores (20 threads) - 3.7 to 5.3 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8GB GDDR6 - liquid cooled

64GB RAM - Dual Channel HyperX FURY DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz

C drive: 2TB Samsung 990 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 PCIe SSD

D: drive: 4TB Samsung 870 SATA SSD (used for media for editing current projects)

E: drive: 2TB Samsung 870 SATA SSD

F: drive: 6TB WD 7200 rpm Black HDD 3.5"

Dell Ultrasharp 32" 4K Color Calibrated Monitor

j-v wrote on 4/25/2020, 7:04 AM

I had a box checked in my internet and network options under the "Accelerated Graphics" header: "Use software rendering instead of GPU rendering."

Should I uncheck this?

No idea, I don't know that box with options.
When I should have your problem I would try it out.

met vriendelijke groet
Marten

Camera : Pan X900, GoPro Hero7 Hero Black, DJI Osmo Pocket, Samsung Galaxy A8
Desktop :MB Gigabyte Z390M, W11 home version 23H2, i7 9700 4.7Ghz,16 DDR4 GB RAM, Gef. GTX 1660 Ti with driver
561.09 Studiodriver and Intel HD graphics 630 with driver 31.0.101.2127
Laptop  :Asus ROG Str G712L, W11 home version 23H2, CPU i7-10875H, 16 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 with Studiodriver 561.09 and Intel UHD Graphics 630 with driver 31.0.101.2127
Vegas software: VP 10 to 21 and VMS(pl) 10,12 to 17.
TV      :LG 4K 55EG960V

My slogan is: BE OR BECOME A STEM CELL DONOR!!! (because it saved my life in 2016)

rstrong wrote on 4/26/2020, 11:49 AM

j-v was saying that if you use such an FX, switch off the GPU acceleration in Options/Preferences/Video.

R. Strong

Custom remote refrigerated water cooled system for CPU & GPU. Intel i7- 6950X, 10 Core (4.3 Turbo) 64gb DDR4, Win7 64 Bit, SP1. Nvidia RTX 2080, Studio driver 431.36, Cameras: Sony HVR-Z5U, HVR-V1U, HVR-A1U, HDR-HC3. Canon 5K MK2, SX50HS. GoPro Hero2. Nikon CoolPix P510. YouTube: rstrongvideo

Howard-Vigorita wrote on 4/26/2020, 9:12 PM

@Crowyote

Should I uncheck this?

That's a setting for Internet Explorer. Should not affect what goes on in Vegas.

Crowyote wrote on 4/27/2020, 7:51 AM

What effects/animations are the most bang for the buck and will cause the least processing problems with a computer that just barely makes the minimum requirements?

It's good that you recognise that your computer is way below spec for VP17. Fading and cross-fading (i.e. dissolve) on the timeline might be about it. Try experimenting with the FX you have available in VP17, and if your computer chokes on a particular FX, then you can be reasonably sure that the FX is not happy with the computer.

I'm just doing igtv and youtube videos etc.

That's a rendering/destination issue, not so much an editing issue. You still have to deal with your computer's ability to edit the source media on the timeline.

I am occasionally editing videos I make with my phone and re-diting old facebook live vids; but, the bulk of my work is photo and image collages . . . blurring, crossfades, hopefully double exposure with my own audio recordings.
Right now, the program is constantly going whitescreening with the little blue wheel for a few minutes with every new click. I've set my project settings to 720 x 1280 and put in 30fps manually, and I saw in a video that someone recommended set pixel aspect to the 1.4568 PAL DV Widescreen setting for IGTV (the last one seems dubious).
Audio is coming through well every time I press play. I've overlapped a bunch of images for crossfading on a single video track, but he preview pane is stuck on the original photo and is not animating through the images anymore.

Any settings for a more efficient play back recommended?

EricLNZ wrote on 4/27/2020, 6:31 PM

With 1280x720 shouldn't you be using square pixels (PAR 1.0) not 1.4568? That's for PAL SD with a pixel size of 720x576 and 25 fps.

fifonik wrote on 4/27/2020, 7:01 PM

> I am occasionally editing videos I make with my phone

VFR (Variable Frame Rate)? Use MediaInfo program to check it out. This information is really important and should be provided when you asking for help.

VFR footage know to cause issues with VP so you should consider to re-encode into constant frame rate.

Camcorder: Panasonic X1500 + Panasonic X920 + GoPro Hero 11 Black

Desktop: MB: MSI B450M MORTAR TITANIUM, CPU: AMD Ryzen 5700X, RAM: G'Skill 16 GB DDR4@3200, Graphics card: MSI RX6600 8GB, SSD: Samsung 970 Evo+ 1TB (NVMe, OS), Samsung 870 Evo, HDD WD 4TB, HDD Toshiba 4TB, OS: Windows 10 Pro 22H2

NLE: Vegas Pro [Edit] 11, 12, 13, 15, 17, 18, 19

Crowyote wrote on 4/27/2020, 8:59 PM

With 1280x720 shouldn't you be using square pixels (PAR 1.0) not 1.4568? That's for PAL SD with a pixel size of 720x576 and 25 fps.

Yeah the suggestion seemed random, so I set it back.

It seems that Vegas Pro might run a little better with my internet off . . . but this keep me from annoying you guys, so here I am.

Thanks also fifonik, I'm not doing a phone video atm . . .

Right now, I'm trying to make a promo video to announce some bandcamp releases using crossfaded Deep Dream processed images of my paintings. My audio track is operating perfectly, but the photos aren't crossfading in the preview. Instead the preview is fixed to a single image, but if I run the project at halfspeed the preview shows at least 2 of the images (out of 30 or so).

I've set my project settings to: 720x1280x32, 30fps, square aspect ratio, stereo mode off, 8 bit pixel format, good resolution, gaussian blur, de-interlace blend fields, smart resample and adjust source media to better fit . . . These are just the target settings I was projecting for my IGTV, but I suppose I could render to my target settings (?) if changes need to be made to edit the project.

My images range from 495 x 1400 x 24 to 950 x 1400 x 24 (really just those 2 sizes on this project) jpeg format. I have my preview window set to draft resolution (quarter). I would like to apply some effects to the preview, and the text animations are one of the reasons I want to use this software. Anybody have thoughts

I imagine that I could make the animated image portion of the video in Windows Moviemaker (had to redownload a shareware version because Windows 10 install basically killed it) and import it into this project to add further effects or text . . . but the whole point of this Magix adventure is avoid the frustration of that amateur glitchy program.

Here's an example of the kind of thing I've made with Moviemaker.

This kind of project is super easy to do, except that Movie Maker crashes occasionally, has really limited effects and crossfade options, limited text fonts and animations, etc. The new Windows Video Editor is even more limited.

Crowyote wrote on 4/28/2020, 5:44 AM

You know what this fixed it enough to make the program operable. I did not realize I needed to enter this setting every time and save it to the project and reopen. The program is still a little slow, but it's no longer making me tear my hair out.

Anyone know which of the default saved render settings are ideal for IGTV and YouTube? I tried to make up my own settings based on the video project setting mentioned above, but no clue if they will take. IGTV is very fussy about things like bitrate and audio settings which I've noticed as I have a 50/50 success rate with videos I've made in MovieMaker getting through. The ticker is something along the lines of IGTV can't process bit rates above 3500Mps. I've done google searches and the answers are very inconsistent . . .

Crowyote wrote on 4/29/2020, 3:21 AM

> I am occasionally editing videos I make with my phone

VFR (Variable Frame Rate)? Use MediaInfo program to check it out. This information is really important and should be provided when you asking for help.

VFR footage know to cause issues with VP so you should consider to re-encode into constant frame rate.

I'll consider that going forward, and I appreciate the advice. Disabling the GPU acceleration allowed me to use a whole host of other effects like Newsprint which I was incapable of before. I'm pretty excited about what lies ahead, especially with BorisFX stuff! I AM still not getting the full bang for the buck of seeing my intended output in the preview window, so there is a bit of guess work done.

I'm guessing if I jack my computer up to 16GB this will solve the problem? Maybe with that Corona cash . . .