SURVEY: Would you upgrade to VP14 if...

Comments

redpaw wrote on 6/7/2016, 11:13 AM
definitely yes...
... but would be nice to have 'disable resample' and 'paste selected attributes' (even in super basic form like in DVD Architect), as it looks like such an easy fix/updates... and means so much for so many
videoITguy wrote on 6/7/2016, 11:25 AM
" consistend product strategy and product roadmap must be developed by Gary and his new team "

I STILL say that irregardless of Nick's list and the thrust of his OP in this thread, I would NOT BE motivated by these tweaks.

As several have spoken here since my first post of this thread above, there seems to be a general consensus that a far better strategy (from the quote I extracted) would deal with 32bit mode, levels, and better control for color and luminance (aka Catalyst method).

I think that SCS drove themselves into a box, when they just offered tweak after tweak to keep pushing product versions so that revenue could be developed in a timely fashion. This strategy has been proven to not work. If VegasPro 14 release is just the labeled version of the tweaks hereto already performed by SCS and now to be immediately released as Magix brand - then it is very possible that the box just gets deeper.
Dimi Koan wrote on 6/7/2016, 1:05 PM
I'd upgrade for better stabilizing and chroma keying tools, similar to those that Premiere has.
Also premiere's morph cut transition is a good thing to have.
rmack350 wrote on 6/7/2016, 1:40 PM
"I also wonder if a dedicated 10-bit editing mode would offer better performance than the current 32 bit floating point mode. If so, I would like to see that option added."

I don't know if it'd be faster, but 32-bit float offers some advantages that 10-bit doesn't and seems more like the universal tool. I don't know if users really need to *see* that their 10-bit project is using a 32-bit float pipeline... but it's probably better to keep that fact visible.

Basically, even if very few changes were made I'd still pay the version rent, as long as Vegas still works for my application. It's a fairly flexible can opener.

Rob
Parallax Abstraction wrote on 6/7/2016, 2:30 PM
I had just come to the forums to post my own requests but this thread has most of what I wanted. If it came out with just modern GPU support, Disable Resample as default and H.265 support, I would upgrade without question. These things should have been there a long time ago.

The only other things I would like to see added (and I know they won't come in v14) is a proper render queue system like Premiere has and updated MainConcept codecs.

I'm a YouTuber that's been using Vegas since 2012 but honestly, if some of these things are not updated, I may have to suck it up and jump ship to the ripoff that is Adobe Creative Cloud. Until I get at least CUDA support for modern cards, I won't be paying for a new version of Vegas Pro.
John222 wrote on 6/7/2016, 3:10 PM
I get the impression many here would upgrade even if nothing was improved, just as a sign of support.... That would not be me.
OldSmoke wrote on 6/7/2016, 3:14 PM
And many are not even ON the latest version.

Proud owner of Sony Vegas Pro 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 & 13 and now Magix VP15&16.

System Spec.:
Motherboard: ASUS X299 Prime-A

Ram: G.Skill 4x8GB DDR4 2666 XMP

CPU: i7-9800x @ 4.6GHz (custom water cooling system)
GPU: 1x AMD Vega Pro Frontier Edition (water cooled)
Hard drives: System Samsung 970Pro NVME, AV-Projects 1TB (4x Intel P7600 512GB VROC), 4x 2.5" Hotswap bays, 1x 3.5" Hotswap Bay, 1x LG BluRay Burner

PSU: Corsair 1200W
Monitor: 2x Dell Ultrasharp U2713HM (2560x1440)

BruceUSA wrote on 6/7/2016, 4:05 PM
To keep this awesome software alive for indefinately. Everyone need to support it in buying every new version.

Intel i7 12700k @5.2Ghz all P Cores, 5.3@ 6 Core, Turbo boost 3 Cores @5.4Ghz. 4.1Ghz All E Cores.                                          

MSI Z690 MPG Edge DDR5 Wifi                                                     

TEAMGROUP T-Force Delta RGB 32GB DDR5 -6200                     

Samsung 980 Pro x4 Nvme .M2 1tb Pcie Gen 4                                     

ASRock RX 6900XT Phantom 16GB                                                        

PSU Eva Supernova G2 1300w                                                     

Black Ice GTX 480mm radiator top mount push/pull                    

MCP35X dual pump w/ dual pump housing.                                

Corsair RGB water block. RGB Fan thru out                           

Phanteks Enthoo full tower

Windows 11 Pro

Parallax Abstraction wrote on 6/7/2016, 4:44 PM
My business is earned, not given. I will happily pay to get new features and functionality I want but they've got to deliver that first. That I haven't been able to use CUDA assisted rendering for my last 3 video cards is a big deterrent for me.

I hope MAGIX can take Vegas Pro to the next level but I gotta' see it first.
videoITguy wrote on 6/7/2016, 5:52 PM
I disagree to some extent with thrust of BruceUSA "commerce" rationalization.

I am not like many customers who merely upgrade a single copy of VegasPro year after year because because.

I DO run several versions of VegasPro bought at full retail price - because I run them concurrently on a server farm..they have to be considered stand alone running concurrently. I buy the versions that work for my business. So far that woudl be Version 7.0d, 8.0b, 9.0d, and finally second build of Version 13. All bought because they add intrinsic value to the overall operation. Skipping 10, 11, and 12 because they could not.

I shall similarly skip all subsequent upgrades which purport to not add any value beyond the Version 13.
rmack350 wrote on 6/7/2016, 6:09 PM
"That I haven't been able to use CUDA assisted rendering for my last 3 video cards is a big deterrent for me."

Erm, okay, seems like there's more to this story. Vegas is more or less tailored to OpenCL acceleration. If you were looking for acceleration in Vegas you wouldn't buy a card for it's CUDA support, let alone buying three CUDA supporting cards in a row.

I'm not saying this as criticism. If I were making a guess I'd say you're buying NVIDIA cards for gaming, recording your gameplay, and wanting Vegas to use your gaming cards for it's own acceleration. That's fine, gaming videos are a market Vegas could be targeting. It's just that, typically, edit systems don't have their GFX acceleration designed to support gaming cards, largely because the GFX drivers are a cr*p shoot, get updated too often, and are designed for speed over accuracy. It's fine to drop pixels and frames in a game but verboten in a render.

You might very well be tied to CUDA for some other reason than gaming, but it'd be worthwhile to spell out what that is. Gaming videos are certainly a valid market for Vegas to address.
Jr. Pascual wrote on 6/7/2016, 7:03 PM
Yes. Even if everything on the list is not implemented. I have upgraded to every version since 5.

Jr. Pascual
49 productions
MikeyDH wrote on 6/7/2016, 7:16 PM
Lets see what comes through the door before a yes or a no. Previous upgrades of a lot of software should have been left outside. Some of it like buying the whole box of widgets at a flea market to get the item you could really use.
IAM4UK wrote on 6/7/2016, 9:09 PM
Yes, I would upgrade from Sony VP13 to Magix VP14 to get those features/improvements/fixes, or a major subset thereof.
zdogg wrote on 6/7/2016, 10:24 PM
@rmack350...

....this is in response to CUDA wish list...I have the Open CL card, and it really doesn't factor in much, on or off, except when there are suspected conflicts or crashes, in which case you are just turning it off....I don't really see much there as far as added speed and functionality beyond a "sales booster" for video card manufacturers.

Prior to my settling for the AMD Card I have now, a respectable 7800 series AMD card. I went out and bought the latest and greatest souped up card that literally had me physically adjusting steel inside my pretty good size Antec Sonata case, the thing was the aircraft carrier of cards, it barely pinched in, and I mean the case was saying 'ouch' - and yet, not really any noticeable difference..none really....and I just took it back, had to load it into the back of my PU truck. ..along with the Intensity pro Blackmagic card. Now those BM cards are good, though there are still some issues.

.. but jokes aside, I really don't see this as a "deal breaker." YOu might have better insights into actual speed gains, but when you spend between 2 and 3 hundred bucks and see zero gain, do you really want to go to a thousand, two thousand, and maybe not realize the gain you'd get with a higher end CPU and memory and maybe a Black Magic card ???? What is going on with this, let me know....
mka wrote on 6/7/2016, 10:39 PM
Yes
Serena Steuart wrote on 6/7/2016, 11:30 PM
Uncertain, but have used Vegas for a long time; so depends. I'm impressed with the rate at which DaVinci Resolve is being developed and since I use that for grading I would prefer not to have to do the round trips. Version 12.5 is looking good as an LNE but I have yet to properly assess it.
megabit wrote on 6/8/2016, 12:12 AM
I definitely am going to upgrade - especially if VP 14 isn't merged with Magix Video Pro X, or should the 2 products be merged - the result is still more Vegas-like than Pro X-like. Even though the price of the current Magix NLE is comparable to VP's, I'm surprised it doesn't contain all the essential codex (or is it just the trial version?) - I installed it but didn't even care to try it as the first thing I stumbled upon has been inability to put my XAVC (or even MPEG) clips on the timeline... And the price for XAVC codec is not low - some Euro 60 extra, if I remember correctly.

At least with VP - as long as it supports a gvine codec at all, and most codex it does - there is no hidden cost of purchasing a needed codec license separately...

Piotr

AMD TR 2990WX CPU | MSI X399 CARBON AC | 64GB RAM@XMP2933  | 2x RTX 2080Ti GPU | 4x 3TB WD Black RAID0 media drive | 3x 1TB NVMe RAID0 cache drive | SSD SATA system drive | AX1600i PSU | Decklink 12G Extreme | Samsung UHD reference monitor (calibrated)

OldSmoke wrote on 6/8/2016, 2:31 AM
@zdogg

Maybe if you list your full system specs we can let you know what is going on with this or better yours.

System Spec.:

Hard drives: System Samsung 970Pro NVME, AV-Projects 1TB (4x Intel P7600 512GB VROC), 4x 2.5" Hotswap bays, 1x 3.5" Hotswap Bay, 1x LG BluRay Burner

zdogg wrote on 6/8/2016, 4:24 AM
Thanks Old Smoke,

I also have a HP Z something workstation, 420 I think, and it has the Nvidia Quadro 2000 card with the acceleration as well, and I just don't see that being a huge boost. It probably helps some, but not like a Super high end CPU would give you.

So, that being the case, why are some making this the real "deal maker" feature, again, my request includes and invitation to set me straight if indeed I am missing something here.

Thanks
zdogg wrote on 6/8/2016, 4:32 AM
Magix aquired Emagic Logic for a very short period before Mac got it, and used some of the product line for it's consumer grade audio/midi program offerings, eventually Samplitude was the parent to these offspring, as Samp gained some MIDI capablities on its own.

So I don't really see a merger, as such...Magix wants and needs a higher end fully capable NLE in the video realm and what it has now is just OK, though the audio is top notch and maybe some file handling features. But it has nothing like the compositing tools and scripting and timeline niceties as does Vegas...they know what they've bought with Vegas, they must appreciate it and want it to be just a better Vegas, not a mushy blend with the two. I am a long time Magix customer and these are very smart people and gifted developers, who are sometimes capped by the idea that they have, in Samplitude/Sequoia a Pro Tools killer, but Pro Tools is too firmly established, almost like Google in search engine arena. and so they have remained niche, but well respected, not unlike Vegas is to video world, though Vegas has been a bit more stuck recently...I see this as a good fresh start.
NickHope wrote on 6/8/2016, 5:54 AM
Thanks again. I think the general response shows that MAGIX will get plenty of support from the existing userbase with just a modest and stable evolution of the product this time rather than fancy bells and whistles such as 360-degree video support.

Wolfgang wrote: "Thank you for the replies, especially those who answered like I asked."

Indeed, and it was just an effort to produce a realistic range of features. My comment was more aimed at those that just ignored my request and spouted negativity, thereby clouding what I hoped would be a concise thread. Regarding LUT support, like I say it only just missed my list. I know it's been requested by numerous people including myself and would be a great addition. But it might be better implemented if it comes along with a thorough overhaul of the colour-correction and grading functionality, which may be asking too much for VP14.

@John222: Tracking fell into a category of features, along with optical flow stuff, that are much requested but probably too difficult to implement by the fall if work on it hasn't started. VP15 perhaps!

@jwcarney: I left ProRes output off the list because I suspect licensing issues might make it impossible. As I understand it, MAGIX Video Pro X only has ProRes input support. If possible then great!

By the way, my own answer is "Yes".
wwjd wrote on 6/8/2016, 10:13 AM
I would love to support the new one. Will be evaluating the updates vs cost when the time comes.
OldSmoke wrote on 6/8/2016, 10:18 AM
@zdogg

The Nvidia Quadro 2000 is while a Workstation card is a very weak card even compared to a GTX460 and I can fully understand why you don't see any benefit. While it is a Fermi based card, it doesn't have sufficient CUDA cores to make any difference. Unless you need 10bit, a GTX580 would have been a much better choice and you would see the full benefit of GPU Acceleration.

Here is a good article to read.

System Spec.: