SURVEY: Would you upgrade to VP14 if...

Comments

Tech Diver wrote on 6/8/2016, 10:52 AM
@OldSmoke: Thank you for posting the link to the graphics card article, as I had not seen that one before. Very enlightening.

Peter
Julius_ wrote on 6/8/2016, 10:52 AM
Yes I would...just with the disable resample and velocity I'm sold! (I'm easy)
Laurence wrote on 6/8/2016, 11:11 AM
Yes.
Tech Diver wrote on 6/8/2016, 11:29 AM
Yes, provided it can be purchased (i.e. not subscription).

Peter
K-Decisive wrote on 6/8/2016, 1:31 PM
All I want is stable DNX/H264/.mov support and I will be a H.P.I.S.
Laurence wrote on 6/8/2016, 8:07 PM
>

Being available only as a subscription model is the only thing I can think of that would keep me from upgrading to whatever Magix does with Vegas.
Kit wrote on 6/8/2016, 9:11 PM
Yes, subscription is a no-no, also forcing periodic phoning home. Coreldraw x8 came out recently. Corel has a subscription model but claims to sell full licences. However, when I double-checked I found that unless the software is allowed to phone-home at least once a month it stops working. I've been using CorelDraw since version 6 but no more. Deliberately crippling software in this way is as bad as subscription.
bdg wrote on 6/8/2016, 10:58 PM
Qualified: Yes
- deal breaker is subscription. No way am I paying by subscription..
- I'm a sound guy - give me 7.1 for my bd's. And/or ambisonics.
VMP wrote on 6/9/2016, 2:22 AM

I agree, I'll upgrade if it can be payed of directly for the same upgrade price like before.
Not subscription.

VMP
Barry W. Hull wrote on 6/9/2016, 8:41 AM
Yes, certainly Nick, and would be thrilled if they improved GPU acceleration. Thank you for this interesting thread.

Also as Len said, to help keep Vegas "alive".

videoITguy, you referred to the intrinsic value to your company. I would also suggest there are many Vegas users who are not using Vegas professionally as you are. Rather, their intrinsic value may revolve simply around an improved product, not necessarily the company bottom line.

So my guess is there are likely as many reasons to upgrade as there are users... I'm sure Gary understands that.
Spectralis wrote on 6/9/2016, 2:01 PM
I'd certainly upgrade. Hopefully with improved GPU integration. That's really my main concern as I'm not working with 4k media but hopefully 4k editing will be a lot smoother too. Further integration with 3rd party plugins such as Mocha and apps like Hitfilm and AE.

I would especially like the ability to work with 3D scenes and models in Vegas or have some integration with apps like Lightwave, Cinema4D and DAZ Studio. Probably not possible in the next upgrade but for future development maybe?
Dale7 wrote on 6/9/2016, 2:43 PM
I've been using Vegas since version 4. Currently using Vegas Pro 12.
I would definitely upgrade to version 14, mainly just to see what Magix does with it; hopefully it will have improved GPU integration.
Ireground wrote on 6/9/2016, 4:22 PM
Continued integration with HitFilm and tabbed nested projects (Like in PPro). Nested projects as they are now never worked for me. Native motion tracking wouldn't be bad either, but if the integration with HF is kept, problem solved.
DeadRadioStar wrote on 6/9/2016, 6:28 PM
YES, I'd be happy at that price with only these:

- Robust GPU acceleration on all current AMD and NVIDIA GPUs giving decode speeds of all formats at least on a par with PPro and Resolve
- H.265 input and output
- ProRes input without Quicktime (no ProRes output)
- Ability to set "Disable Resample" as the default
- Nothing else changes. No new bugs

.... HOWEVER I would want the addition to be able to hit Esc to interrupt Vegas trying to import a file it will ultimately refuse (e.g. TS files with multiple, sometiimes non-standard streams, teletext etc.). This can lock up Vegas for *hours* only to find it then finds only one audio stream. I have my ffmpeg workarounds in the meantime, but seriously? In a "professional" product?
heg wrote on 6/11/2016, 9:53 AM
Would you upgrade to VP14 if...?

If it comes out... Yes!
Rory Cooper wrote on 6/13/2016, 2:08 AM
yes but i can only use it professionally if the plug ins work...!

Sony Vegas for me is still the best...work horse combined with a race horse and a show jumper all in one.! if i have a tight schedule i don't sweat, never been late on a project yet.

i remember a few years ago a client was at the airport in S.A on the way to a meeting NY USA and had a "diarrhea of ideas" moment decided a promo clip would be a nice part for their presentation. so a quick call and a quick edit and a quick delivery before the flight and the presentation was a success. if i used any other editor it simply would have been out the question.
Wolfgang S. wrote on 6/13/2016, 7:43 AM
"yes but i can only use it professionally if the plug ins work...!"

That is very true - if plugins like BCC10, BorisRed, Looks3, Hitfilm or Mercalli would not work with Vegas Pro 14 (or however it is named), then this will be a nogo for a lot of people!

Desktop: PC AMD 3960X, 24x3,8 Mhz * GTX 3080 Ti (12 GB)* Blackmagic Extreme 4K 12G * QNAP Max8 10 Gb Lan * Resolve Studio 18 * Edius X* Blackmagic Pocket 6K/6K Pro, EVA1, FS7

Laptop: ProArt Studiobook 16 OLED * internal HDR preview * i9 12900H with i-GPU Iris XE * 32 GB Ram) * Geforce RTX 3070 TI 8GB * internal HDR preview on the laptop monitor * Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K mini

HDR monitor: ProArt Monitor PA32 UCG-K 1600 nits, Atomos Sumo

Others: Edius NX (Canopus NX)-card in an old XP-System. Edius 4.6 and other systems

David Settlemoir wrote on 6/13/2016, 10:35 AM
I will upgrade at least one more time with Magix.

I do need P2 files to work correctly - maybe they should dump Sony's code and just purchase the assets of DVFilm's Raylight which always worked.

Also, I hope the reversed fields problem with ProRes recorded on an Aja KiPro gets fixed.

David

NCARalph wrote on 6/14/2016, 10:17 PM
I'd definitely upgrade for GPU (and Quick Sync) functionality along with some bug fixes.

It would also be great if they added support for selecting what attributes got copied when copying the attributes from one clip to another. It's almost always pretty useless to copy the animated crop settings for example.
D.Anne wrote on 6/15/2016, 3:14 AM
Yes.
terryA wrote on 6/16/2016, 7:54 AM
yes
David Johns wrote on 6/20/2016, 2:22 PM
No - not for those upgrades. The only one that's really of interest to me is "Video opacity and audio gain keyframeable on an event level, not just track level"

I will, however, probably upgrade to show enthusiasm and support for the product because I want Vegas to continue (though if version 15 later proved to be disappointing, I would then reconsider)

The big features I desparately want (am I alone?) are:
1) collapsable events (combining several selected events into one single event that can then be manipulated as a single item - like mini nesting but without separate timelines or projects etc), and
2) multiple masks with multiple effects so that, for example, I can apply colour correction to an entire clip but then another effect to only part of it. At present, "apply to FX" on the mask means my colour correction gets affected by the mask too.

Regards
David
NormanPCN wrote on 6/20/2016, 2:27 PM
You can keyframe video opacity on an event basis by using the "layer dimensionality" effect already in Vegas.
Nobody wrote on 6/21/2016, 6:11 PM
A tentative "Yes" from me. I look forward to more details in September.