VEGAS Pro 14.0 (Build 161) Released

Comments

skeeter123 wrote on 10/13/2016, 1:46 PM

Paul-Fierlinger,

Are you able to ope a VP14 .veg in in VP12? Might be old news to some but I can't open a VP14 .veg file in VP13..."Created by a new version..blah blah blah.."

...just curious...

JJKizak wrote on 10/13/2016, 6:49 PM

OK, I will not worry about the cuda since it seems it's supposed to work automatically. If I import Cineform 16 x 9  media to the V-14 timeline then change the preferences to 1.333 (it imports as 1 x1) then right click the clip ,select properties, select media, then set the media to 1.333 it appears properly on the timeline. Then save it and the job is done as it will work fine. I made a small Test Bluray disc in DVD-A6  and it worked out with the Dolby ac3 codec. This will work the same if 1 x 1 stills are imported to the timeline.

As a small footnote I tried to inquire about GoPro Studio but it is now dead and replaced by Quik which is for GoPro cameras only. I let them know how I felt.

JJK

Paul-Fierlinger wrote on 10/13/2016, 7:16 PM

Paul-Fierlinger,

Are you able to ope a VP14 .veg in in VP12? Might be old news to some but I can't open a VP14 .veg file in VP13..."Created by a new version..blah blah blah.."

...just curious...

Yes and I do that all the time, in both directions. But having said that, I don't think that is the same as between V13 and 14.

Wolfgang S. wrote on 10/15/2016, 1:55 AM

As a small footnote I tried to inquire about GoPro Studio but it is now dead and replaced by Quik which is for GoPro cameras only. I let them know how I felt.

JJK

Do you know if Quik still installs the Cineform codec in the system as it was done by the GoPro software? And if the Cineform codec still can be used by third party applications like Vegas?

Desktop: PC AMD 3960X, 24x3,8 Mhz * GTX 3080 Ti (12 GB)* Blackmagic Extreme 4K 12G * QNAP Max8 10 Gb Lan * Resolve Studio 18 * Edius X* Blackmagic Pocket 6K/6K Pro, EVA1, FS7

Laptop: ProArt Studiobook 16 OLED * internal HDR preview * i9 12900H with i-GPU Iris XE * 32 GB Ram) * Geforce RTX 3070 TI 8GB * internal HDR preview on the laptop monitor * Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K mini

HDR monitor: ProArt Monitor PA32 UCG-K 1600 nits, Atomos Sumo

Others: Edius NX (Canopus NX)-card in an old XP-System. Edius 4.6 and other systems

NickHope wrote on 10/15/2016, 2:28 AM

Do you know if Quik still installs the Cineform codec in the system as it was done by the GoPro software? And if the Cineform codec still can be used by third party applications like Vegas?

I installed Quik yesterday to test this. No Cineform AVI codec appeared in any of my versions of Vegas other than the very old stock Cineform codec.

Wolfgang S. wrote on 10/17/2016, 8:27 AM

Hmm, but the Cineform codec is installed and can be used within Vegas? I cannot test that on my systems because I have the Cineform codec installed from the former GoProStudio.

Desktop: PC AMD 3960X, 24x3,8 Mhz * GTX 3080 Ti (12 GB)* Blackmagic Extreme 4K 12G * QNAP Max8 10 Gb Lan * Resolve Studio 18 * Edius X* Blackmagic Pocket 6K/6K Pro, EVA1, FS7

Laptop: ProArt Studiobook 16 OLED * internal HDR preview * i9 12900H with i-GPU Iris XE * 32 GB Ram) * Geforce RTX 3070 TI 8GB * internal HDR preview on the laptop monitor * Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K mini

Others: Edius NX (Canopus NX)-card in an old XP-System. Edius 4.6 and other systems

NickHope wrote on 10/17/2016, 10:41 AM

That's the GoPro Studio that was installed by Quik. I think the Cineform codec shown is the very old one that has been in Vegas for years. I do not know what previous versions of GoPro Studio installed.

NormanPCN wrote on 10/17/2016, 11:06 AM

GoPro Quik does install the Cineform codec into VfW and Quicktime. I uninstalled my previous GoPro desktop and then installed Quik. Cineform still shows in Video for Windows, and Quicktime, with the all same options as were previously available. Renders successfully complete. I tried this in VP13.

JJKizak wrote on 10/17/2016, 11:07 AM

GoPro told me that Quik would only work with GoPro cameras. So what's the deal, is GoPro Studio contained in Quik?

JJK

NickHope wrote on 10/17/2016, 11:21 AM

GoPro Quik does install the Cineform codec into VfW and Quicktime. I uninstalled my previous GoPro desktop and then installed Quik. Cineform still shows in Video for Windows, and Quicktime, with the all same options as were previously available. Renders successfully complete. I tried this in VP13.

What were those options? In the Cineform AVI and Cineform HD Quicktime codecs after installing Quik I see YUV422, RGB444, RGBA4444 encoded formats, and low, medium, high, filmscan1, filmscan2 and keying encoding quality. So I guess maybe this has been installed by Quik and is not the old Cineform codec. Come to think of it, that one might have been removed a couple of versions ago.

is GoPro Studio contained in Quik?

Yes

NickHope wrote on 10/17/2016, 11:30 AM

OK, so the basic Cineform codec no longer ships with Vegas, and this is the codec installed by GoPro Quik. The codec info is:

GoPro CineForm Codec v9.2.1     CFHD.dll     9.2.1.690

I recommend anyone using standard HD/UHD/4K resolutions to take a look at Vegas' native Sony XAVC Intra codec and, if it's good enough, save the hassle of installing 3rd party intermediate codecs.

NormanPCN wrote on 10/17/2016, 11:48 AM

Yes, all those options are listed. At one point Vegas still listed Cineform under VfW codecs but nothing was there behind it until you installed either Cineform or GoPro.

It does not make sense for GoPro to discontinue making Cineform avaialble. At a minimum they need to install decoders for VfW and Quicktime so people can edit GoPro Cineform files in their editor of choice since most do not have native Cineform support. Why stop making the encoder available since you already let it be out there for free. Once on the NET it is there forever.

The GoPro studio installed by Quik still opens Canon DSLR and GH4 files. I've never touched the new organizer and file import apps. "Desktop" and now Quik. Maybe they only work with GoPro cameras.

Wolfgang S. wrote on 10/18/2016, 1:54 AM

What were those options? In the Cineform AVI and Cineform HD Quicktime codecs after installing Quik I see YUV422, RGB444, RGBA4444 encoded formats, and low, medium, high, filmscan1, filmscan2 and keying encoding quality. So I guess maybe this has been installed by Quik and is not the old Cineform codec. Come to think of it, that one might have been removed a couple of versions ago.

This are the options that we had up to now in Vegas with this codec - so that is fine.

Sure the codec is old. But since you can use it with 10bit and up to 444 it is still a great codec. And the advantage in Vegas is that it is native implemented and is decoded as 10bit really.

Wolfgang S. wrote on 10/18/2016, 1:57 AM

... and GH4 files.

For native GH4 files recorded in the GH4 and not transcoded to Cineform: there is an additional advantage now with Vegas Pro 14: the length of both the audio and the video files are now the same. That was not true for the last SCS build of Vegas Pro 13.

NickHope wrote on 10/18/2016, 2:34 AM
Sure the codec is old.

The Cineform codec has been around for a long time but this version 9.6.1 installed by Quik is bang up to date. By "old" I was referring to the Cineform codec version 2.8 that shipped with Vegas 6, 7 & 8. I had forgotten SCS stopped bundling it with Vegas from V9 onwards, and I was somehow expecting to see more fancy options in the up-to-date codec, but less is fine by me.

And yes, it's a great intermediate choice if you need 10-bit.