VEGAS Pro 15 Update 4 (build 321) - General Discussion

VEGAS_CommunityManager wrote on 3/9/2018, 8:43 AM

VEGAS Pro 15 Update 4 (build 321) has been released. Please give us your feedback in this thread.

If you already have build 311 or earlier installed, there is no need to uninstall it. The build 321 will overwrite your installation and retain your settings. Your computer will need to be online for activation after the update.

If you are installing VEGAS Pro 15 for the first time, it is generally better to install using a VEGAS Pro download manager. See here for details & links.

Official announcement with Patch Notes

VEGAS Pro 15 (build 321) installer

Previous general discussion thread

Comments

wwjd wrote on 3/9/2018, 9:51 AM

YESSSS!! Thank you! Can no wait to test this later tonight.

glovercover wrote on 3/9/2018, 10:04 AM

UI works fine! Thank you!
And now you can focus on Vegas Pro 16. Surprise us, please! :)

matthias-krutz wrote on 3/9/2018, 10:28 AM

Thank you for this update!
Here is my first impression:
In my short test, I could no longer find a UI slowdown and the timeline playback was noticeably better.

I have found a minor flaw in the video preview window. Exactly between the transport bar and the status bar, a horizontal black line sometimes "flashes". That bothers a bit, the otherwise more pleasant playback.

Desktop: Ryzen R7 2700, RAM 32 GB, X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming, Radeon RX 5700 8GB, Win10 2004

Laptop: T420, W10, i5-2520M 4GB, SSD, HD Graphics 3000

VEGAS Pro 14-18, Movie Studio 12 Platinum, Vegasaur, HOS, HitfilmPro

OldSmoke wrote on 3/9/2018, 10:32 AM

Has anyone tested XAVC-S files with the new build? I would but my trial expired a long time ago.

Proud owner of Sony Vegas Pro 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 & 13 and now Magix VP15&16.

System Spec.:
Motherboard: ASUS X299 Prime-A

Ram: G.Skill 4x8GB DDR4 2666 XMP

CPU: i7-9800x @ 4.6GHz (custom water cooling system)
GPU: 1x AMD Vega Pro Frontier Edition (water cooled)
Hard drives: System Samsung 970Pro NVME, AV-Projects 1TB (4x Intel P7600 512GB VROC), 4x 2.5" Hotswap bays, 1x 3.5" Hotswap Bay, 1x LG BluRay Burner

PSU: Corsair 1200W
Monitor: 2x Dell Ultrasharp U2713HM (2560x1440)

3POINT wrote on 3/9/2018, 10:40 AM

Strange behaviour of the docking windows. First screenshot is my favorite saved window layout. When I close VPro15 and open it directly again the last window is swapped with the second window. When I do the same again, this happens again but is then in the right prefered order, till I close and open VPro15 again.

VEGASDerek wrote on 3/9/2018, 10:41 AM

Strange behaviour of the docking windows. First screenshot is my favorite saved window layout. When I close VPro15 and open it directly again the last window is swapped with the second window. When I do the same again, this happens again but is then in the right prefered order, till I close and open VPro15 again.

That has been reported a number of times and is in our backlog to resolve.

dape wrote on 3/9/2018, 11:01 AM

VEGAS Pro 15 Update 4 (build 321) has been released. Please give us your feedback in this thread.

Can you please fix it so whenever you open up Vegas Pro the last Video Preview/Trimmer window order is maintained? It is annoying to find (sometimes) Trimmer the active window instead of the last used one. Thanks !

david-ruby wrote on 3/9/2018, 11:14 AM

XAVC-s seems to play much better now. I did get a major crash that would not let me get out of vegas. I simply added Boris title studio to a track and used preset animated presets and then on the preview window the frame rate kept scrolling dotted lines and we froze. Once restarted will retry to see if it happens again.

UPDATED. Just applied regular preset of title studio on a track and it plays but plays back losing frames till it gets past the title. Choppy playback. I have a very fast machine that does not do this in any other daw upon playback of title programs. Weird. But the XAVC-s footage seems to play much much better.

david-ruby wrote on 3/9/2018, 11:45 AM

After update my new blue titler pro is running in trial mode. I have the suite. Should I reinstall new blue from the suite download? XAVC-s is still looking good here by the way. Great job!

dream wrote on 3/9/2018, 2:06 PM

im good with 261 looking forward to vp16

fr0sty wrote on 3/9/2018, 4:42 PM

That was fast! A bit too fast, I fear... I'm having this issue when I try to render. Looks like we gotta play whack-a-mole a little longer.

None the less, thanks for trying to squash these bugs as fast as you can. Hopefully this helps get this one sorted. In the future, if you'd like me to test upcoming builds for you, I'd be glad to, as I seem to be good at finding these bugs quick!

Systems:

Desktop

AMD Ryzen 7 1800x 8 core 16 thread at stock speed

64GB 3000mhz DDR4

Geforce RTX 3090

Windows 10

Laptop:

ASUS Zenbook Pro Duo 32GB (9980HK CPU, RTX 2060 GPU, dual 4K touch screens, main one OLED HDR)

david-ruby wrote on 3/9/2018, 4:59 PM

@Frosty I had something similar when I first tried the update with Boris titler studio. After it froze completely I manually restarted machine and it has not done this since but I was using XAVC-s not 4k. Sorry.

fr0sty wrote on 3/9/2018, 5:03 PM

I disabled Neat Video and enabled timeline gpu accel (i had turned it off with version 311 so I could render anything at all, as GPU support in v311 was completely broken for me and my GTX970), that got me at least to the point of rendering without the UI freezing, but no frames are rendering, it's just counting away. Tried using NVENC, doesn't look like it works.

Last changed by fr0sty on 3/9/2018, 5:03 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

Systems:

Desktop

64GB 3000mhz DDR4

Geforce RTX 3090

Windows 10

Laptop:

ASUS Zenbook Pro Duo 32GB (9980HK CPU, RTX 2060 GPU, dual 4K touch screens, main one OLED HDR)

fr0sty wrote on 3/9/2018, 5:46 PM

I thought it was going to go through that time.. I'm posting a second video because this is a different problem entirely. The UI isn't freezing (that seemed to stop when I re-enabled timeline GPU acceleration), the GPU is freezing with NVENC.

More specs not in the video (let me know if I can include anything else to help reproduce)

Windows 10 64

Ryzen7 1800x

GTX970, latest driver (version number is in the video)

64GB DDR4

Project settings are stock 4K 3840x2160 23.97 template modified to be 32 bit (video levels) and best render quality.

Edit: It does the same thing even if you do not use NVENC, as long as timeline GPU accel is on.

Last changed by fr0sty on 3/9/2018, 7:59 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

Systems:

Desktop

64GB 3000mhz DDR4

Geforce RTX 3090

Windows 10

Laptop:

GJeffrey wrote on 3/9/2018, 9:08 PM

Using GH5 2160- 24p footage. Project settings 32bits (video level), GPU acceleration On.

Rendering using NVENC, default setting, no issue.

Using GTX1070TI with driver 388.71, Windows 10 (version 1709 build 16299

125)

joseph-w wrote on 3/9/2018, 10:20 PM

Project settings are stock 4K 3840x2160 23.97 template modified to be 32 bit (video levels) and best render quality.

Edit: It does the same thing even if you do not use NVENC, as long as timeline GPU accel is on.

Someone else just started a thread about Neat video having an issue w/ the new update. They're usually pretty quick to update so if the only FX giving you problems is Neat it might be worth posting on their forum. (https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/vegas-pro-15-neatvideo-4-7-as-media-fx-event-fx-no-frames--110662/)

Regarding rendering in general have you tried starting a new project from scratch w/ build 321 to see if you'll still get this issue? It'd probably be helpful to see if you have this issue even w/ a brand new project.

I only had a little bit of time earlier to test at work but 321 seems to have fixed my problem w/ slowdown which is great (thx for the quick fix).

fr0sty wrote on 3/9/2018, 11:38 PM

My problems are there no matter what configuration I use. I tried rendering with NVENC, timeline GPU on, it crashes, CPU, it crashes, timeline GPU off for either mode, still crashes. I turned all GPU operations off completely and rendered using CPU only, 3 hours later I come back to "Vegas has stopped working.". I can't seem to render using AVC at all. I have not yet tried disabling So4compoundplug, but it didn't help with the 311 update and I'm still having the same problems, so I don't think it is restricted to that dll file causing the problem.

Neat Video doesn't seem to have an effect on what is happening, it crashes whether or not it is enabled.

I'd try a new project, but I have to get this one out the door first.

Last changed by fr0sty on 3/9/2018, 11:40 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

Systems:

Desktop

64GB 3000mhz DDR4

Geforce RTX 3090

Windows 10

Laptop:

AVsupport wrote on 3/10/2018, 5:12 AM

After update my new blue titler pro is running in trial mode. I have the suite. Should I reinstall new blue from the suite download? XAVC-s is still looking good here by the way. Great job!

had similar issues with the previous update and Newblue standalone titler..reinstall fixed it easy..seemed to run smooth;

can't wait to test this version..thank crew, that was quick!

@fr0sty what's you hardware setup mate [you might wanna include this in your profile]? have you tried disabling your internal cpu-gpu?

Last changed by AVsupport on 3/10/2018, 5:20 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

my current Win10/64 system (latest drivers, water cooled) :

Intel Coffee Lake i5 Hexacore (unlocked, but not overclocked) 4.0 GHz on Z370 chipset board,

32GB (4x8GB Corsair Dual Channel DDR4-2133) XMP-3000 RAM,

Intel 600series 512GB M.2 SSD system drive running Win10/64 home automatic driver updates,

Crucial BX500 1TB EDIT 3D NAND SATA 2.5-inch SSD

2x 4TB 7200RPM NAS HGST data drive,

Intel HD630 iGPU - currently disabled in Bios,

nVidia GTX1060 6GB, always on latest [creator] drivers. nVidia HW acceleration enabled.

main screen 4K/50p 1ms scaled @175%, second screen 1920x1080/50p 1ms.

joseph-w wrote on 3/10/2018, 11:13 AM

Ok so Magix really nailed the fix for the GUI issue I was having.  Sooooo much better now.  No slowdown, pan and crop is responsive, dare I say it's almost fun to edit multitrack material again.  

I did have one odd issue where I left it sitting open on a project for a few hours while I had to work on a different PC/project.  When I returned and clicked play the audio started but the preview window (and then full screen preview) stayed w/ the still frame it had been sitting on for the past hours.  I closed the preview window (X) and reopened it w/ View/Window/Preview Window and it started to play again.  If this happens again in a shorter period of time left alone I'll update.

One other thing is that Magix AVC still renders out .MP4s that show up as "Variable Framerate" w/ Mediaifno (https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo).  I haven't yet tested but I'm assuming this will cause the the frame drop problem I mentioned in a thread a few weeks ago:  Render an MP4 using Magix AVC that's greater than 18min in duration, reload that MP4 back in to Vegas under the source media (lineing up audio), after about ~17min a frame will be dropped.  I noticed this happening from build 216+ and eventually discovered I could remove the "mcaacplug" folder from "FileIO Plug-Ins" and Vegas would go back to rendering MP4s that reported "Constant Framerate" (no problem if reimported).    That folder mcaacplug was not present prior to the 2nd or 3rd V15 update.  I removed it for myself again for 321 and renders seem to be great for my purproses.

Thanks again for addressing the GUI issue quickly once the discussion became focused on it.  I tested the trial of Magix Movie Studio last week (knowing it's the "little sister" to Vegas and that new version was just released).  It had the GUI bug as well so if a different team handles that software they'd probably want  to implement a similar fix.

A million times better working this morning though.  Thanks.

VEGASDerek wrote on 3/10/2018, 11:29 AM

A bit off topic, but related to the previous comment, we hope to have a Movie Studio with the fix for the identical UI slow down released in the very near future. And this update will also address the slow project and thumbnail loading as well.

fr0sty wrote on 3/10/2018, 2:08 PM

Ok, so I decided to try the suggested approach of rendering using a brand new project, so last night I spent 4.5 hours rendering a ProRes XQ 4K 23.97 file out of this project that I have been trying to get delivered for over a week now, and the intent was to drop it onto a fresh timeline and try to render it to MagixAVC from there using NVENC (or any other method that will work, since none work for me now). Problem is, while the ProRes file did render, the portion of the video that covers the wedding reception has this strange green box (3/4 of a box actually, missing the top line) in the middle of the screen the entire time, and the last few scenes of the video turn completely green.

I was using neat video for this render, but only on one scene towards the end. Since all GPU accel had been turned off in Vegas, I set Neat Video to use 90% of available VRAM. However, the problems started showing up in the video long before the scene NV was used on was called up, so I doubt that was the source of the issue.

Project settings were stock QFHD 23.97 with resampling disabled, bit depth set to 32 bit (video levels), and quality set to best.

I have no internal GPU, as I'm using a Ryzen 7 1800x CPU. Here's the rest of my specs.

64gb DDR4 (3000mhz)

EVGA Geforce GTX 970 (4GB)

Win10 64

512GB Samsung Pro Evo 960 M.2 drive (system)

2TB SATA internal (media)

Edit: I did notice my Neat Video registration was not re-authenticated after I updated the version of Neat Video, so it was stuck in demo mode. I re-registered it and am trying to do the prores encode again now to see if that helps.

Edit 2: First attempt failed immediately, "the system is low on memory" (I have 64GB!!!). Second attempt started doing great, rendering at 2x the speed it was last night, but then got the same error about 15% in.

This is starting to get on my nerves. Put out a product that works Magix!!! This is ridiculous. I can't get this project out the door to save me and I've been done with it since last week.

Last changed by fr0sty on 3/10/2018, 2:38 PM, changed a total of 4 times.

Systems:

Desktop

64GB 3000mhz DDR4

Geforce RTX 3090

Windows 10

Laptop:

fr0sty wrote on 3/10/2018, 2:39 PM

I don't know what else to do... any suggestions for getting a 4K render out that I can put into a program that actually works to encode it? Magix AVC directly is broken, using pro-res as an intermediate is also broken.

For the record, I did try to remove Neat Video completely from the project to see if that helped. Did one more prores encode, it got to the transition point between 2 cuts, and started jumping back and forth from the previous to the next scene while it was still encoding frames. It flashed back and forth 4-5 times before finally moving on to encoding frames from the next scene. All sorts of strange render errors going on here. Going to try again with timeline GPU disabled. Looks like I'm going to have to waste most of today troubleshooting this problem, because my client is starting to get pissed.

Last changed by fr0sty on 3/10/2018, 2:48 PM, changed a total of 3 times.

Systems:

Desktop

64GB 3000mhz DDR4

Geforce RTX 3090

Windows 10

Laptop:

Reyfox wrote on 3/10/2018, 3:46 PM

A project in VP14 is at 3.6GB of system RAM. The exact same project in VP15 is at 8.7GB of system RAM. We all can do the math.... so where is the 5GB of RAM in VP15 going? It was the same with Build 311.

Yes, thumbnails build faster now. but I can't get over a 5GB RAM difference... any suggestions?

fr0sty wrote on 3/10/2018, 5:03 PM

So, out of desperation to get this project out, I downgraded to version 261. I went to render, GPU enabled on both timeline and NVENC as well as Neat Video on that once scene at the end, was still getting the "the system is low on memory" error. So, I went into project settings, turned dynamic RAM preview from 200 to 0, and it fixed that. GPU render is working in 261, so it's something that changed between that version and 311 that broke compatibility for GPU accel on my system. I can't yet confirm if changing the dynamic RAM preview to 0 is what fixed the issue, I will re-upgrade to 321 later after I deliver this project to test that. I'm currently enjoying a nice, speedy NVENC 4K encode out of 261.

Last changed by fr0sty on 3/10/2018, 5:04 PM, changed a total of 2 times.

Systems:

Desktop

64GB 3000mhz DDR4

Geforce RTX 3090

Windows 10

Laptop: