VEGAS Pro 15 Update 4 (build 321) - General Discussion

Comments

Wolfgang S. wrote on 5/9/2018, 12:02 PM

But that is where you can use the trial. If you like what you see - fine. If not - then you do will not purchase the product. Fair enough, that is competition as concept of the free world. And if you like Resolve - well: also your decision.

I am not able to asses if there is a need to re-write the whole codec. Maybe, maybe not. To my opinion no user can know that really, without knowing the original code.

But that is not the topic of this thread. So either you stick here to the topic of this thread but you can discuss that in the offtopic area of the forum where there is a thread about Resolve by now. Or we may have to close this thread.

Desktop: PC AMD 3960X, 24x3,8 Mhz * GTX 3080 Ti (12 GB)* Blackmagic Extreme 4K 12G * QNAP Max8 10 Gb Lan * Resolve Studio 18 * Edius X* Blackmagic Pocket 6K/6K Pro, EVA1, FS7

Laptop: ProArt Studiobook 16 OLED * internal HDR preview * i9 12900H with i-GPU Iris XE * 32 GB Ram) * Geforce RTX 3070 TI 8GB * internal HDR preview on the laptop monitor * Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K mini

HDR monitor: ProArt Monitor PA32 UCG-K 1600 nits, Atomos Sumo

Others: Edius NX (Canopus NX)-card in an old XP-System. Edius 4.6 and other systems

Former user wrote on 5/9/2018, 12:09 PM

I'm no fanboy, but I do think theres a little bit too much negativity here, Vegas is still a superb program. Its easy to fall into the trap of only looking at the current issues, some i'm sure will be fixed, glass is half full.

Resolve will get a bit of an uptick in the autumn when the new BMPCK4K camera is released, as it comes with fully working Resolve Suite software.

Vliegvisser wrote on 5/9/2018, 12:24 PM

I not!😇

Does that mean you think Vegas is perfect as it is?

I don't know what you mean with "Vegas is perfect as it is", but with my workflow I can do everything I want to do with my video editing.
With 15 and the new possibilities of the Magix AVC codec I 'm able to use hardware encoding, if needed, in two ways without any fault. I have my questions but do not encounter faults or restrictions for what I want to produce.
Sad you can't use the trial, but to me it is logical they do not permit it more than 30 days.

OldSmoke wrote on 5/9/2018, 12:58 PM

Sad you can't use the trial, but to me it is logical they do not permit it more than 30 days.

Under normal circumstances I can accept that but VP15 has received major updates that might enable a user like to actually use it. However, Inwill not blindly purchase it to find it out. So in my case, and maybe others too, Magix lost a paying customer.

Proud owner of Sony Vegas Pro 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 & 13 and now Magix VP15&16.

System Spec.:
Motherboard: ASUS X299 Prime-A

Ram: G.Skill 4x8GB DDR4 2666 XMP

CPU: i7-9800x @ 4.6GHz (custom water cooling system)
GPU: 1x AMD Vega Pro Frontier Edition (water cooled)
Hard drives: System Samsung 970Pro NVME, AV-Projects 1TB (4x Intel P7600 512GB VROC), 4x 2.5" Hotswap bays, 1x 3.5" Hotswap Bay, 1x LG BluRay Burner

PSU: Corsair 1200W
Monitor: 2x Dell Ultrasharp U2713HM (2560x1440)

Vliegvisser wrote on 5/9/2018, 1:14 PM

Under normal circumstances I can accept that but VP15 has received major updates that might enable a user like to actually use it. However, Inwill not blindly purchase it to find it out. So in my case, and maybe others too, Magix lost a paying customer.

During my (very) active time working with different NLE's I had more than 1 Windows installation at my hardware (but on other harddisc) and was able to usethose different installations and alias emailadresses to install all kinds of trials on the same hardware. Ever thought of?

OldSmoke wrote on 5/9/2018, 1:19 PM

During my (very) active time working with different NLE's I had more than 1 Windows installation at my hardware (but on other harddisc) and was able to usethose different installations and alias emailadresses to install all kinds of trials on the same hardware. Ever thought of?

That doesn’t work, the trial is limited by days from the date installed, checked against internet time and date, not system date.

I could download a cracked version of the latest build for my tests if I can find one that doesn’t have any viruses attached but I prefer not to.

Last changed by OldSmoke on 5/9/2018, 1:21 PM, changed a total of 2 times.

System Spec.:

Hard drives: System Samsung 970Pro NVME, AV-Projects 1TB (4x Intel P7600 512GB VROC), 4x 2.5" Hotswap bays, 1x 3.5" Hotswap Bay, 1x LG BluRay Burner

Vliegvisser wrote on 5/9/2018, 1:38 PM

That doesn’t work

With dualboot and another username and emailadress not a problem for me, even now I try it, but I don't want to continue. Why should I ?

Reyfox wrote on 5/9/2018, 1:51 PM

I hope that Vegas does get things ironed out. I basically just got here after working with VP14 Edit first. I was amazed how fast I could edit on the timeline, so upgraded to VP15 Suite. That's when the memory issue happened. To "me" 10GB of RAM to do a 4.5 minute simple 4K project. Nothing fancy. I said "wow... that's a lot of RAM" considering I would use less than a 5th with another product doing the same thing and having the timeline render as I move along. But still, hoping Vegas will pull a rabbit out of the hat and make everyone happy.

@Former user, but "Thanos" loses in the end.... you do have to love competition though....

Last changed by Reyfox on 5/9/2018, 1:52 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

Newbie😁

Vegas Pro 22 (VP18-21 also installed)

Win 11 Pro always updated

AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16 cores / 32 threads

32GB DDR4 3200

Sapphire RX6700XT 12GB Driver: 22.5.1, testing 24.7.1

Gigabyte X570 Elite Motherboard

Kinvermark wrote on 5/9/2018, 2:04 PM

@OldSmoke

Hello,

Thank you for your message.

As it is not possible to extend the trial period, I have generated a serial number for the full version that is valid for 30 days, after which you'll have the option to purchase a license if you'd like to continue. Please find your serial number below:

Try contacting magix sales / customer support again (Yes, I know you shouldn't have to try this hard) . Clearly they CAN set you up with another trial, you just need the right person. I can't post his name here, but if you get no joy, then PM me.

Former user wrote on 5/9/2018, 2:08 PM

@Reyfox

It's just a healthy joke. To unwind. I love Vegas and I know its potential. No wonder I've been working with him for 12 years. But it is necessary to appear a Thanos so that he can leave the place and show the real power that he has. I hope so.

marc-s wrote on 5/9/2018, 3:15 PM

"One thing that is clear to me from all this recent Resolve talk, is that the Vegas team absolutely have to fix the translation of projects to and from Resolve, and make it as complete and seamless as possible. Then at least Vegas can remain in many Resolve users' workflows as a companion product that can do many things that Resolve can't."

That's a really good point. Vegas could then remain a valuable member of the toolbox. I also prefer the Vegas multi-cam workflow.

Kinvermark wrote on 5/9/2018, 3:43 PM

+1. Lots of "junior" software companies do this (e.g. Hitfilm). Partnership is a good thing, and what Vegas offers, Resolve does not. And vice versa.

fr0sty wrote on 5/9/2018, 4:29 PM

I'm no fanboy, but I do think theres a little bit too much negativity here, Vegas is still a superb program. Its easy to fall into the trap of only looking at the current issues, some i'm sure will be fixed, glass is half full.

Resolve will get a bit of an uptick in the autumn when the new BMPCK4K camera is released, as it comes with fully working Resolve Suite software.

The problem is, we aren't only looking the current issues... we're looking at old bugs that have been around for years, and old features that haven't been updated in years. When they do get updated or added, they are often buggy.

Systems:

Desktop

AMD Ryzen 7 1800x 8 core 16 thread at stock speed

64GB 3000mhz DDR4

Geforce RTX 3090

Windows 10

Laptop:

ASUS Zenbook Pro Duo 32GB (9980HK CPU, RTX 2060 GPU, dual 4K touch screens, main one OLED HDR)

OldSmoke wrote on 5/9/2018, 5:09 PM

@OldSmoke

Hello,

Thank you for your message.

As it is not possible to extend the trial period, I have generated a serial number for the full version that is valid for 30 days, after which you'll have the option to purchase a license if you'd like to continue. Please find your serial number below:

Try contacting magix sales / customer support again (Yes, I know you shouldn't have to try this hard) . Clearly they CAN set you up with another trial, you just need the right person. I can't post his name here, but if you get no joy, then PM me.

Sorry, as you mentioned, I shouldn't have to try this hard. If would, I would only support their lazy customer service which it turn than can tell the management "see, we don't need to be better, our service is perfect".

I would never do anything like it to my own clients, just doesn't happen. We all have choices after all.

System Spec.:

Former user wrote on 5/9/2018, 5:12 PM

The problem is, we aren't only looking the current issues... we're looking at old bugs that have been around for years, and old features that haven't been updated in years. When they do get updated or added, they are often buggy.”

Thats the nature of programming/software, its not an exact science, this applies to other programs as well, Vegas isn’t unique in this regard. Vegas isn’t standing still, a lot of fixes are in place since Sonys v13 and a lot of new features. A lot done, more to do. Could be worse, Sony could still own it.

AVsupport wrote on 5/9/2018, 5:44 PM

I got sucked in owning VP15 also when my trial expired and I wanted to know if the next update had finished the release-issues. Found out, it did not. Instead, I got a new UI I never needed or had asked for. I felt my support$ were wasted on the wrong programmer. Nor did I need conversations of How to introduce a working 365 subscription model. What I need now to keep my heart with Vegas is a commitment to rejuvinate VP, merge the 2 NLE's in the Magix' product line, use the coding power of both support teams to create something Finally Magic V1.0 that supports modern CPU/GPU/RAM hardware and takes some colour grading ideas from Davinci. My willingness to re-invest in a product that follows a different path than I do is wearing thin; The only luck thing at this moment is I really don't like the Premiere Gold Diggers, plus I now own a number of Third Party plugins...[since the proliferation issue began..] that are OFX..

edit/ That said, who's not to say they can't be transferred when you ask nicely.. Have tried Resolve trial, whilst I don't like the mixed 4k/1080 dual screen layout & window scaling and no program output without dedicated hardware, it was also crashey with XAVCS. Have been reminded though that this is only with the free Beta. -?

Last changed by AVsupport on 5/9/2018, 5:49 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

my current Win10/64 system (latest drivers, water cooled) :

Intel Coffee Lake i5 Hexacore (unlocked, but not overclocked) 4.0 GHz on Z370 chipset board,

32GB (4x8GB Corsair Dual Channel DDR4-2133) XMP-3000 RAM,

Intel 600series 512GB M.2 SSD system drive running Win10/64 home automatic driver updates,

Crucial BX500 1TB EDIT 3D NAND SATA 2.5-inch SSD

2x 4TB 7200RPM NAS HGST data drive,

Intel HD630 iGPU - currently disabled in Bios,

nVidia GTX1060 6GB, always on latest [creator] drivers. nVidia HW acceleration enabled.

main screen 4K/50p 1ms scaled @175%, second screen 1920x1080/50p 1ms.

fr0sty wrote on 5/9/2018, 9:32 PM

The problem is, we aren't only looking the current issues... we're looking at old bugs that have been around for years, and old features that haven't been updated in years. When they do get updated or added, they are often buggy.”

Thats the nature of programming/software, its not an exact science, this applies to other programs as well, Vegas isn’t unique in this regard. Vegas isn’t standing still, a lot of fixes are in place since Sonys v13 and a lot of new features. A lot done, more to do. Could be worse, Sony could still own it.

Yeah, but when the scientist is asking top dollar for his science, and the other scientists are offering more exact science for less money... I want to stick around, I have edited exclusively on Vegas almost my entire 20 year career... but it is getting difficult. I just lost 4 hours of progress to a multicam editing crash, auto save saved 5 mins after I started the project... I still have to jump through hoops of fire to edit my gh5 10 bit video. final cut handles it just fine. So does resolve.

Last changed by fr0sty on 5/9/2018, 9:34 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

Systems:

Desktop

AMD Ryzen 7 1800x 8 core 16 thread at stock speed

64GB 3000mhz DDR4

Geforce RTX 3090

Windows 10

Laptop:

ASUS Zenbook Pro Duo 32GB (9980HK CPU, RTX 2060 GPU, dual 4K touch screens, main one OLED HDR)

AVsupport wrote on 5/9/2018, 11:50 PM

Back on-topic:

The other day I noticed VP-File-Explorer [refresh] not refreshing file directory. Had VP open and imported video clips via Playmemories into a known folder creating a new one. Vegas wouldn't see it, hitting the 'refresh' did nothing. Had to close / open the program to see the new folder.

my current Win10/64 system (latest drivers, water cooled) :

Intel Coffee Lake i5 Hexacore (unlocked, but not overclocked) 4.0 GHz on Z370 chipset board,

32GB (4x8GB Corsair Dual Channel DDR4-2133) XMP-3000 RAM,

Intel 600series 512GB M.2 SSD system drive running Win10/64 home automatic driver updates,

Crucial BX500 1TB EDIT 3D NAND SATA 2.5-inch SSD

2x 4TB 7200RPM NAS HGST data drive,

Intel HD630 iGPU - currently disabled in Bios,

nVidia GTX1060 6GB, always on latest [creator] drivers. nVidia HW acceleration enabled.

main screen 4K/50p 1ms scaled @175%, second screen 1920x1080/50p 1ms.

lychee wrote on 5/10/2018, 4:11 AM

MAGIX - SUPPORT !!!

we need your comments here please. Enough to answer.....

Former user wrote on 5/10/2018, 6:05 AM

“I just lost 4 hours of progress to a multicam editing crash, auto save saved 5 mins after I started the project”

Well Fr0sty if you’re using Vegas for 20 years you know a hell of a lot more about it than I do! I’m a relative newcomer, started with Vega 13 Platinum. Still FWIW I save very regularly, if its a very important/big project I save multiple project files .. 01 .. 02 etc. plus the autosave time can be changed in “internal”, but I guess you already know/do all that.

I know its not yet done but didn’t Magix assure you that that GH5 issue would finally be fixed in the next update? I’m surprised that the .mxf remux by GJeffrey isn’t of use to you, I use the GH5 and found the remuxed files ok to use and edit, but mostly with my simpler 8 bit projects I get by with using so4 .. dll as is.

marc-s wrote on 5/10/2018, 10:45 AM

it was also crashey with XAVCS. Have been reminded though that this is only with the free Beta. -?

I use Resolve 14 Studio (Paid) with XAVCS and XAVCL and it works great and never crashes. Playback takes good advantage of my AMD card and is faster than Vegas. It is my understanding that the studio version has better playback performance of these formats. Resolve 15 is total beta right now (ver. 2) so issues are to be expected. They like to run public betas for a while so anyone who wants to try new features or help work out bugs can do so. I do not jump on board with the next version until they have their first final release.

gary-rebholz wrote on 5/10/2018, 11:10 AM

MAGIX - SUPPORT !!!

we need your comments here please. Enough to answer.....

OK. I sincerely thank those of you who have spoken here with professionalism and reasoned arguments both expressing your support and your disappointment. Also, thanks to those of you who actively help others work through problems. Thanks to those of you who respectfully give solid reasons why you like Resolve (or other competitors) over VEGAS.

Yours are the voices that provide the valuable information I need to guide the team in addressing the most pressing problems you are encountering and planning future work. I am sincerely sorry that some of you are having problems, and the team and I will continue to work hard to address those issues which keep you from working efficiently or compel you to stop using VEGAS.

It is my personal mission to understand what you need and where your pain points are, and then to provide you a solution that makes you a better, more successful editor. I want you to be a happy user of VEGAS not because it makes me money (there are a lot of ways I could choose to make money), but because seeing the amazing work you all do helps me understand how you are changing the world for the better, and how I might be able to play a small roll in helping you do that.

If I could instantly fix all the bugs now, I would. But the best I can offer is that I'm listening, and I'm prioritizing the team's work based on the feedback I'm getting. That feedback which is presented in a respectful, professional manner gets my highest attention.

Vliegvisser wrote on 5/10/2018, 11:13 AM

I use Resolve 14 Studio (Paid) with XAVCS and XAVCL and it works great and never crashes. Playback takes good advantage of my AMD card and is faster than Vegas. It is my understanding that the studio version has better playback performance of these formats. Resolve 15 is total beta right now (ver. 2) so issues are to be expected. They like to run public betas for a while so anyone who wants to try new features or help work out bugs can do so. I do not jump on board with the next version until they have their first final release.

Maybe it is only me, but what is the value of this comment on a Vegas user forum. I know I can not read it, but what sense makes this kind of comments here. To leave Vegas and switch the already owned Resolve free version for a paid version?

OldSmoke wrote on 5/10/2018, 11:57 AM

Maybe it is only me, but what is the value of this comment on a Vegas user forum. I know I can not read it, but what sense makes this kind of comments here. To leave Vegas and switch the already owned Resolve free version for a paid version?

@Vliegvisser let me help you to "read" that post.

A) Resolve handles XAVC-S and XAVC-L better then Vegas and makes good use of AMD hardware.

That shows the it can be done and should have been done along time ago, XAVC is not a new codec.

B) Resolve 15 is available as a public BETA version.

Which is what VP15 should have been when it first came out rather then a paid version or a 30day trial.

System Spec.: