VEGAS Pro 15 Update 4 (build 321) - General Discussion

Comments

tripleflip18 wrote on 4/23/2018, 1:07 PM

@Fiola, sorry for not knowing the file format. Lots for me to read since I am basically new with the software. With the GH5/5s being a popular camera, yeah... Vegas should handle your files. I feel your pain when things just go "crash". I've been there with other software where I spent more time rebooting, constantly saving, etc. to keep the crashes a minimum only leading to me being totally frustrated with the software.

For me Vegas doesn't crash if i turn GPU acceleration OFF

Trustman wrote on 4/28/2018, 3:02 AM

Can you please look into why vegas pro 15 is crashing so much while masking or moving through each frames in the Event Pan/Crop. Program crashes just about every couple frame. Its getting really annoying. AutoSave is not working when switch to 60000. Program crashes so much Im saving after every frame. Thanks

Grazie wrote on 4/28/2018, 3:51 AM

@Trustman

Can you please look into why vegas pro 15 is crashing so much while masking or moving through each frames in the Event Pan/Crop.

Not going to happen without more ground data.

Program crashes just about every couple frame.

Yup, something is choking Vegas. Need Data and Screengrabs.

USAForensic wrote on 4/28/2018, 10:49 PM

Build seems solid so far without the general slowdown over time... so far. I was almost ready to switch back to 14. I’ve used VP since version 6. It’s not always been the easiest program to live with. It doesn’t work well with graphics cards but loves liquid cooled heavily threaded processors. Which is fine as I’m sure most editors build their machines to the max. Keep marching forward with the build :)

fr0sty wrote on 4/29/2018, 5:44 PM

It's still a mess for me with my Gh5, The workarounds I have to use to shoot 10 bit VLOG and edit it in Vegas adds hours onto the workflow. I'm anxiously awaiting that next update... but I'm also glad they're taking time to get it right, hopefully.

rickyaz wrote on 4/29/2018, 9:41 PM

Why can't we update FROM the Vegas software? Why do I have to go to a forum to find an update? It is not that big of a deal but it is annoying. Is this the right update if I have Vegas Pro 365?

fr0sty wrote on 4/29/2018, 10:12 PM

Yes, so far version 4 (build 321) is the current version.

Systems:

Desktop

AMD Ryzen 7 1800x 8 core 16 thread at stock speed

64GB 3000mhz DDR4

Geforce RTX 3090

Windows 10

Laptop:

ASUS Zenbook Pro Duo 32GB (9980HK CPU, RTX 2060 GPU, dual 4K touch screens, main one OLED HDR)

lychee wrote on 5/9/2018, 2:28 AM

... a lot of bargain-offers for V15.... seems that V16 is on the way soon.... right?

Reyfox wrote on 5/9/2018, 2:35 AM

...really? Where?

AVsupport wrote on 5/9/2018, 2:37 AM

I hope no one is asking for money from customers that bought VP15 until that's fixed..

my current Win10/64 system (latest drivers, water cooled) :

Intel Coffee Lake i5 Hexacore (unlocked, but not overclocked) 4.0 GHz on Z370 chipset board,

32GB (4x8GB Corsair Dual Channel DDR4-2133) XMP-3000 RAM,

Intel 600series 512GB M.2 SSD system drive running Win10/64 home automatic driver updates,

Crucial BX500 1TB EDIT 3D NAND SATA 2.5-inch SSD

2x 4TB 7200RPM NAS HGST data drive,

Intel HD630 iGPU - currently disabled in Bios,

nVidia GTX1060 6GB, always on latest [creator] drivers. nVidia HW acceleration enabled.

main screen 4K/50p 1ms scaled @175%, second screen 1920x1080/50p 1ms.

lychee wrote on 5/9/2018, 2:43 AM

same thing every time.... I have lots of MAGIX-eMails offering bargain prices for a short period of time. I guess this happens, because they are preparing streetday for the next version.... just my experience....

Reyfox wrote on 5/9/2018, 2:55 AM

...sob... no emails sent to me.......

OldSmoke wrote on 5/9/2018, 7:21 AM

And again I won’t be able to test it. Here is customer support’s reply to my email if I could be granted another trial of VP15:

”Thank you for your message. Once a trial has run and expired on a computer there isn't anyway to run the trial of the software again on the same computer”

This is it for me.

Proud owner of Sony Vegas Pro 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 & 13 and now Magix VP15&16.

System Spec.:
Motherboard: ASUS X299 Prime-A

Ram: G.Skill 4x8GB DDR4 2666 XMP

CPU: i7-9800x @ 4.6GHz (custom water cooling system)
GPU: 1x AMD Vega Pro Frontier Edition (water cooled)
Hard drives: System Samsung 970Pro NVME, AV-Projects 1TB (4x Intel P7600 512GB VROC), 4x 2.5" Hotswap bays, 1x 3.5" Hotswap Bay, 1x LG BluRay Burner

PSU: Corsair 1200W
Monitor: 2x Dell Ultrasharp U2713HM (2560x1440)

Reyfox wrote on 5/9/2018, 7:27 AM

And again I won’t be able to test it. Here is customer support’s reply to my email if I could be granted another trial of VP15:

”Thank you for your message. Once a trial has run and expired on a computer there isn't anyway to run the trial of the software again on the same computer”

This is it for me.

Is this for the current version only? What if VP16 does come out and you want to run a trial......

OldSmoke wrote on 5/9/2018, 7:39 AM

This is it for me.

Is this for the current version only? What if VP16 does come out and you want to run a trial......

Sure you can trial VP16 and you actually have to. I trialed VP15 when it came out and it was disaster. In the meantime, several updates have been released with major changes and maybe now, it would work fine with my workflow aside with the limitation of not supporting AMD’s VEC. However, I can’t trial it. So I wait for VP16 but how long into VP16 do I wait to trial it? The first build? And if again it doesn’t work? You see where I am going with this?

So for me, this is it. After over 10 years of using Vegas, I am out. I will be using Sony Vegas Pro 13, a limited amount of Vegas Pro 14 and I have purchased Resolve Studio for future projects.

Goodnight Vegas!

System Spec.:

Hard drives: System Samsung 970Pro NVME, AV-Projects 1TB (4x Intel P7600 512GB VROC), 4x 2.5" Hotswap bays, 1x 3.5" Hotswap Bay, 1x LG BluRay Burner

lychee wrote on 5/9/2018, 8:22 AM

Right... - The MAGIX-service is very poor. Even my TECH-ADMIN (as a direct MAGIX-customer for ALL products) has no chance to get professional answers. I mean > no answers at all....

I guess they are not loving the product because there is also competition software in their own portfolio. It will not be better with a V16, if or whenever it will show up.

Basicly I prefer VEGAS for it´s easy handling - but it MUST work. Before I toatally give up I will let them have a very last chance from my side. What do you think? Are the tech guys also reading those threads here? Then show up please. THANX.

marc-s wrote on 5/9/2018, 8:55 AM

I just edited another project in Resolve and it was pretty nice. I’m torn though because because I still like Vegas timeline fluidity and easy controls for motion on stills. Resolve is not as good in these areas and key framing is clunky. But the playback/render speed, media management, color correction etc. is so much better. Most importantly to me however is the team behind the product. The Resolve team is active on the forums and they listen to their users when it comes to features. Each new release has so many frigging updates it looks like the last five versions of Vegas combined and they never charge for it once you buy in. That is why Im investing in The Resolve ecosystem it seems to have a bright future and may become the all in one production software I’ve always been looking for. I’ll keep an eye on Vegas (a user since version 3) but their overpriced lackluster updates are wearing thin and the software seems to need a serious rewrite if it is to survive.

NickHope wrote on 5/9/2018, 9:12 AM

One thing that is clear to me from all this recent Resolve talk, is that the Vegas team absolutely have to fix the translation of projects to and from Resolve, and make it as complete and seamless as possible. Then at least Vegas can remain in many Resolve users' workflows as a companion product that can do many things that Resolve can't.

Reyfox wrote on 5/9/2018, 9:13 AM

I’ll keep an eye on Vegas (a user since version 3) but their overpriced lackluster updates are wearing thin and the software seems to need a serious rewrite if it is to survive.

Sony said basically they've taken Vegas as far as they could. But then, they never really followed up on their "new" software. Maybe they just wanted "out" of the extremely crowded video editing software business.

OldSmoke wrote on 5/9/2018, 10:55 AM

I’ll keep an eye on Vegas (a user since version 3) but their overpriced lackluster updates are wearing thin and the software seems to need a serious rewrite if it is to survive.

Sony said basically they've taken Vegas as far as they could. But then, they never really followed up on their "new" software. Maybe they just wanted "out" of the extremely crowded video editing software business.

I think Sony made the right decision there and then.

On the other hand, if Sony would have integrated Vegas into their other video productions products like BM does, it could have been the better move, the Sony Creative Software and it's team where always treated like the unwanted step child. On the other hand, Sony's new suite of products hasn't evolved either. Catalyst Edit is still a very basic NLE.

System Spec.:

fr0sty wrote on 5/9/2018, 11:42 AM

Nick, that might buy them enough time to start updating Vegas, but honestly, it isn't a good idea to base your business model on expecting your users to migrate to another platform, as once those users get used to using resolve, and once resolve makes some updates that enable it to do some of the key things we use Vegas for, it's all over for Vegas.

What they need is to completely throw out the video processing engine in Vegas, rewrite it from scratch like Adobe did with Mercury Playback Engine (Vegas started to take a step in that direction with so4compoundplug.dll, but never was able to get it off the ground and working properly.), and hire on someone who is very skilled in memory management, as that seems to be Vegas Achilles' heel right now.

I was concerned when I heard that a lot of the old dev team was staying on to keep developing Vegas... they've done a good job making a good program, but they also did a good job leaving it riddled with bugs before Sony sold it off, many of which still have not been fixed over 2 years later, all the while new ones have been introduced.

If Magix does not have the resources to hire on a dev team big and talented enough to put out a product that can run with the big dogs, then Magix needs to drastically discount Vegas, so that we aren't paying as much or more for less capable software than the competition.

Systems:

Desktop

AMD Ryzen 7 1800x 8 core 16 thread at stock speed

64GB 3000mhz DDR4

Geforce RTX 3090

Windows 10

Laptop:

ASUS Zenbook Pro Duo 32GB (9980HK CPU, RTX 2060 GPU, dual 4K touch screens, main one OLED HDR)

OldSmoke wrote on 5/9/2018, 11:46 AM

Nick, that might buy them enough time to start updating Vegas, but honestly, it isn't a good idea to base your business model on expecting your users to migrate to another platform, as once those users get used to using resolve, and once resolve makes some updates that enable it to do some of the key things we use Vegas for, it's all over for Vegas.

What they need is to completely throw out the video processing engine in Vegas, rewrite it from scratch like Adobe did with Mercury Playback Engine (Vegas started to take a step in that direction with so4compoundplug.dll, but never was able to get it off the ground and working properly.), and hire on someone who is very skilled in memory management, as that seems to be Vegas Achilles' heel right now.

I was concerned when I heard that a lot of the old dev team was staying on to keep developing Vegas... they've done a good job making a good program, but they also did a good job leaving it riddled with bugs before Sony sold it off, many of which still have not been fixed over 2 years later, all the while new ones have been introduced.

If Magix does not have the resources to hire on a dev team big and talented enough to put out a product that can run with the big dogs, then Magix needs to drastically discount Vegas, so that we aren't paying as much or more for less capable software than the competition.

I fully agree!

System Spec.:

Vliegvisser wrote on 5/9/2018, 11:58 AM

I not!😇

OldSmoke wrote on 5/9/2018, 12:00 PM

I not!😇

Does that mean you think Vegas is perfect as it is?

System Spec.: