VEGAS Pro 16 Update 2 (build 307) - General Discussion

Comments

Kinvermark wrote on 11/7/2018, 4:52 PM

There is a preferences setting in Vegas 16 for high DPI. Also, you could try the high DPI override setting (=application ) in Windows 10. Right click the program icon, properties…

gavin-impett wrote on 11/7/2018, 6:06 PM

I just installed the update and it killed my installation. I'm on an AMD Ryzen 1800x. So far, I've attempted an uninstall and a system restore. It checked off my upgrade serial ID as valid then swallowed the install with no way back. Kinda reminds me of the Vegas pre-Sony days. I've contacted support and Vegas 15 still works, so I'm not completely dead in the water, but you have been warned.

set wrote on 11/7/2018, 6:13 PM

https://www.magix.com/us/support/my-service-center/

Try do log-in and check in my products page, is it possible to deactivate and reactivate VP16 ?

Setiawan Kartawidjaja
Bandung, West Java, Indonesia (UTC+7 Time Area)

Personal FB | Personal IG | Personal YT Channel
Chungs Video FB | Chungs Video IG | Chungs Video YT Channel
Personal Portfolios YouTube Playlist
Pond5 page: My Stock Footage of Bandung city

System 5-2021:
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Video Card1: Intel UHD Graphics 630 (Driver 31.0.101.2127 (Feb 1 2024 Release date))
Video Card2: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GDDR6 (Driver Version 551.23 Studio Driver (Jan 24 2024 Release Date))
RAM: 32.0 GB
Drive OS: SSD 240GB
Drive Working: NVMe 1TB
Drive Storage: 4TB+2TB

System 2-2018:
ASUS ROG Strix Hero II GL504GM Gaming Laptop
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 8750H CPU @2.20GHz 2.21 GHz
Video Card 1: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630 (Driver 31.0.101.2111)
Video Card 2: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5 VRAM (Driver Version 537.58)
RAM: 16GB
Storage: M.2 NVMe PCIe 256GB SSD & 2.5" 5400rpm 1TB SSHD

* I don't work for VEGAS Creative Software Team. I'm just Voluntary Moderator in this forum.

VEGASPascal wrote on 11/8/2018, 1:38 AM

newly purchased today and crashes at first start. After I removed folder OfxStitch.ofx.bundle  from C:\Program Files\VEGAS\VEGAS Pro 16.0\OFX Video Plug-Ins  - Vegas 16 b307 started. Not amused for a new Software purchase that crashes on start.

I send you a direct message.

fr0sty wrote on 11/8/2018, 7:37 AM

I just installed the update and it killed my installation. I'm on an AMD Ryzen 1800x. So far, I've attempted an uninstall and a system restore. It checked off my upgrade serial ID as valid then swallowed the install with no way back. Kinda reminds me of the Vegas pre-Sony days. I've contacted support and Vegas 15 still works, so I'm not completely dead in the water, but you have been warned.

Currently using Vegas 16 (this update) on the exact same CPU without issue... it isn't always Vegas' fault when things go wrong... not being able to even uninstall the program sounds to me like this problem extends beyond Vegas.

Systems:

Desktop

AMD Ryzen 7 1800x 8 core 16 thread at stock speed

64GB 3000mhz DDR4

Geforce RTX 3090

Windows 10

Laptop:

ASUS Zenbook Pro Duo 32GB (9980HK CPU, RTX 2060 GPU, dual 4K touch screens, main one OLED HDR)

Gerard-Faassen wrote on 11/9/2018, 6:37 AM

Hello,
After using Vegas 15, I purchased the upgrate to Vegas pro 16.
There was a problem immediately. The program did not want to start.
After more than a month of contact with the support department, I finally solved the problem myself.
By changing the name of the folder OFX in the Common Files folder under Program files the program started.
I started working enthusiastically with the program.
There is, however, another problem. The screen freezes 20 times in an hour.
Only by restarting the program can I continue working.
I have now installed the update to build 307.
However, that does not improve.
With Vegas pro 15 I have had no problems, that works well.
I use a computer with windows 10, the AMD Ryzen threadripper 1950X 16-core processor, 32 gb internal memory, and 1 x SSD 500 gb and 1 x 1000 gb.
Who knows a solution to this annoying problem.

Turd wrote on 11/9/2018, 9:33 AM

I'm one of Vegas' biggest cheerleaders, so please understand that what I'm writing here comes from a good heart with only good intentions...

I've completed dozens of small projects on VP16 with nary an issue, but now I'm currently working on my first major project using VP16 (build 261) with north of 550 video clips from a wide variety of cameras and countless still shots in a rather extensive custom bin organization scheme. I've used every Vegas version since version 3 with rarely an issue, so it's safe to say I have a working knowledge of Vegas products. On this, my first large project on 16, I also have freezing issues. The problem seems to happen most often when I take my focus away from Vegas, then try to return focus to Vegas. I save my projects very, very often as I edit, so I've lost no work whatsoever so far, but the problem does happen quite often. I've done this same type of project a few times on older versions of Vegas on less capable machines and have not had an issue anything like this. The number of people who complain about the same issue leads me to believe this a problem inherent to VP16.

I believe in Vegas and I very much admire the Vegas team for creating and maintaining such an awesome product. This issue will not deter me or my excitement for all things Vegas and I'll continue to forge through (no pun intended) with my current project in VP16, but it'll take longer to complete than expected because of how often I must restart Vegas to continue working.

Note to self (everyone else please look away -- the note that follows is a reminder for mine eyes only): Figure out a clever, kick-booty signature that suggests I'm completely aware of how to properly and exhaustively party on and that I, in fact, engage in said act on a frequent and spontaneous basis. All joking aside, listing my computer's properties is a futile endeavor. I edit multimedia in a local television station newsroom that has Vegas Pro installed on several machines with widely varied specs. We began editing non-linearly with Pinnacle Studio Version 8. That didn't last long before we upgraded to Vegas Video Version 4, then to Vegas Pro 10.

Turd wrote on 11/9/2018, 9:47 AM

@Turd Update to build 307.

Thanks, Nick...

I certainly plan to update. I generally try to not update in the middle of a major project, but this freezing issue might make an update worth a try. I know I can go back to 261, if needed.

Fingers crossed!

Note to self (everyone else please look away -- the note that follows is a reminder for mine eyes only): Figure out a clever, kick-booty signature that suggests I'm completely aware of how to properly and exhaustively party on and that I, in fact, engage in said act on a frequent and spontaneous basis. All joking aside, listing my computer's properties is a futile endeavor. I edit multimedia in a local television station newsroom that has Vegas Pro installed on several machines with widely varied specs. We began editing non-linearly with Pinnacle Studio Version 8. That didn't last long before we upgraded to Vegas Video Version 4, then to Vegas Pro 10.

set wrote on 11/9/2018, 9:53 AM

make backup system if needed

Setiawan Kartawidjaja

System 5-2021:
Video Card1: Intel UHD Graphics 630 (Driver 31.0.101.2127 (Feb 1 2024 Release date))
Video Card2: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GDDR6 (Driver Version 551.23 Studio Driver (Jan 24 2024 Release Date))

System 2-2018:

* I don't work for VEGAS Creative Software Team. I'm just Voluntary Moderator in this forum.

Kinvermark wrote on 11/9/2018, 3:32 PM

You mean the UI freezes? Try using the Windows 10 "close all windows" button (or whatever it is called) - lower right on my taskbar - and then reopen the Vegas window.

Turd wrote on 11/9/2018, 4:16 PM

You mean the UI freezes? Try using the Windows 10 "close all windows" button (or whatever it is called) - lower right on my taskbar - and then reopen the Vegas window.

The whole app freezes. VP16 acts as though it's busy contemplating about life in general for a long, long time until either I force it to close through the task manager or it stops working on it's own, then asks me if I want to send a report to the fine men and women at Microsoft.

I ain't privy to no Windows 10 "close all windows" button. I am on Windows 10, but to your suggestion I say, "Huh?"

Kinvermark wrote on 11/9/2018, 4:34 PM

Perhaps I should have said "minimize" all windows. Like I said, look around your taskbar. Mine is hiding slightly off screen for some reason.

Turd wrote on 11/9/2018, 4:42 PM

Perhaps I should have said "minimize" all windows. Like I said, look around your taskbar. Mine is hiding slightly off screen for some reason.

Ah -- Minimize!

Windows key + m.

I'll try that. I think I'll also install 307 and see how that all works out.

Thanks, gentlemen!

Martin L wrote on 11/10/2018, 4:27 AM

My build 307 still has the freeze on "building windows" at startup sometimes, but less often than in build 261. Is has improved to the point I think I'll dare to start next major project in it. But not sure yet. When is next build coming?

ryclark wrote on 11/10/2018, 7:10 AM

Have you also tried turning off the 'Close media files when not the active application' option in Preferences/General? That might stop problems if you switch away from Vegas.

Turd wrote on 11/10/2018, 1:28 PM

Have you also tried turning off the 'Close media files when not the active application' option in Preferences/General? That might stop problems if you switch away from Vegas.

I have not thought of that! I'm installing 307 now. I'll try try your suggestion, too.

Thanks!

NickHope wrote on 11/10/2018, 9:54 PM

My build 307 still has the freeze on "building windows" at startup sometimes, but less often than in build 261. Is has improved to the point I think I'll dare to start next major project in it. But not sure yet. When is next build coming?

Updates are on average over the past couple of years have been very roughly 2 months apart unless there's a major new bug that requires a quick fix. The gap between VP15 updates 2 & 3 was nearer 3 months.

The current performance/stability issues that *some* users are finding with build 307 seem quite complex/mysterious, difficult to define, worse with certain GPUs and their drivers, and often related to 3rd party plugins. My gut feel is that this is not "quick fix" territory.

So I doubt we'll see anything for a good while yet.

bbgunn wrote on 11/11/2018, 7:32 AM

Managed to fix this. The symptoms were that I could not drag and drop any media whatsover (video, audio, jpg's...) into Vegas 307. Could not import anything. Could not use Vegas's explorer to add to the project. I wound up uninstalling completely using the control panel in Windows 10 (1803). Then manually deleting all vegas and magix folders in program files and also under %appdata%. Then going into the registry and deleting all Magix and Vegas folders and instances. Then running CCleaner. I was then able to install the 307 update. Ran it as an admin. Got a Net Framework error as it was coming up. Closed down vegas. Started it again. No error the second time. Still could not drag from outside of Vegas, but now at least I was able to add media to the project from the Vegas explorer. Then dragged that video to the timeline. Then closed Vegas and opened it. Then I was able to drag from ouitside of Vegas. And yes, I tried these steps incrementally without success. It didn't work until I did all the steps I just described.. Phew! Hopefully this helps someone else if they have a problem...

An addendum to this. I found the root cause for this. The reason my troubleshooting worked was because I uninstalled everything, including all of my extensions and plugins. The culprit wound up being the VASST Vegasaur extension. I was trying to reload all of my plugins today and when I re-installed the Vegasaur software it broke again. I was not able to import any media again. I uninstalled Vegasaur and then everything was working again. (Sorry Magix, it wasn't your fault...)

set wrote on 11/11/2018, 9:30 AM

Giving little correction: Vegasaur is Vegasaur's... VASST create similar automation tool called Ultimate S Pro 4.2.0

Setiawan Kartawidjaja

System 5-2021:

System 2-2018:

Fiola wrote on 11/11/2018, 7:19 PM

Vegas Pro 16.307 still randomly crashing, when I am just cutting and playing clips. No change from previous version. I still can't finish project without at least 60-70x restarts of the program. :) Just reporting it here as always. Newest drivers. Issue replicated on three machines: AMD and 2x Intel PC's - again, as always.

Just still hoping to know when or how this could be better. I can't be alone in this. Many folks are using AVC codec when editing. :( I would love to write here just happy notes.

qualle wrote on 11/12/2018, 4:12 AM

I can add some information that may be helpful for the developers. I run Vegas Pro on Windows 10, 32GB, i5-4570, NVIDIA GTX 770 with latest drivers.

I also expericence rather random crashes with Build 307. But there seems to be a faint pattern. Crashes tend to happen more often when

- I edit and play back clips quickly on the timeline, with quick jumps from one point in time to another

- clips with speed changes on more than one layer are involved

- clips are 4K MP4 (H.264) from Panasonic GH-4

- preview display is enabled on a second monitor (using the Windows graphics card)

Crashes during rendering are quite rare, which is a good thing. They are also rare when I work more slowly just color correcting for example, from still point to still point with no quick changes between playback and stop.

To me this looks like the culprits may hide 1) in H.264 handling, 2) in file access (feels somewhat related to the old iosomething.dll problem prior to Vegas 12). This is just a guess, but it feels like several parallel threads are not safe and tend to kill each other.

Please don't stop to improve Vegas! The "scrub in thumbnails" feature is a great and much needed addition, in a hopefully future stable environment a great leap forward for Vegas.

Martin L wrote on 11/12/2018, 12:54 PM

Yes, I have.

Martin L wrote on 11/12/2018, 12:56 PM

Updates are on average over the past couple of years have been very roughly 2 months apart unless there's a major new bug that requires a quick fix. The gap between VP15 updates 2 & 3 was nearer 3 months.

The current performance/stability issues that *some* users are finding with build 307 seem quite complex/mysterious, difficult to define, worse with certain GPUs and their drivers, and often related to 3rd party plugins. My gut feel is that this is not "quick fix" territory.

So I doubt we'll see anything for a good while yet.

Ok, thanks.