Comments

fr0sty wrote on 8/3/2020, 9:35 AM

Before you post... if you have an issue with VEGAS 18 not working properly, DO NOT post it here, as it will just get buried under a ton of other posts and never addressed. If you want help faster, make a new thread about your issue, that way we can keep track of it easier and help you easier. Let's keep this to opinions about the new software, requests for new features, etc...

alifftudm95 wrote on 8/3/2020, 9:50 AM

Just tested out VEGAS Pro 18. I see few things that is no longer in VP18. I really hope VEGAS Team can bring this thing back, otherwise the workflow would be cumbersome in my opinion. 

First of all the docking panel that hold Video FX/Transitions/Media Generators etc etc are now fully redesign giving it a new fresh look. Which is great, but the only major drawback is that I cant press a certain letter on my keyboard to search for that particular FX. For an example, I want to add Glow FX to my video. I can just go to video FX tab, click any FX in the library and just spam "G" on my keyboard till it show up & highlight Glow FX. Same thing if I want to add color corrector, just press "C" on my keyboard multiple time till it highlight that FX. Some people would just prefer to search for it or scroll to look for that FX, I still think having an option to just press something on the keyboard till it highlight that FX would be much more faster.

Beziere Mask in VP18 no longer have its own Motion Tracker.
I don't know why VEGAS decided to remove it. In VP17, I can mask out the subject with custom shapes using the pen tools and motion track it with the Beziere Mask FX. I often do this when I color Grading the video.
From the grading panel, I can simply add the beziere mask with a click of a button, do some masking, motion track it and done. I can then add any FX and only affect that tracked masked area (Off course I will need to duplicate the video first, and add any FX cuz the Beziere Mask cut out and make a hole onto the video). See? Very fast & intuitive. Got that Davinci Vibe on it & sooo logical type of workflow. Off course, Its not a perfect Beziere Mask FX but removing the tracker from it will make it more cumbersome.

Now in VP18, I have to use the new motion tracker, track the video and send the data to Beziere Mask. More click needed for a simple execution. I'm not saying the new motion tracker is bad. Its great. But shouldn't remove the Motion tracker from the Beziere Mask.

The AI Colorization is cool, it work just fine. But I dont found myself using it alot. But with AI technology, its a step for VEGAS Team to do more then just recoloring Black & white video. Maybe auto rotoscoping stuff like that can be implemented in the future.

The Exposure control in the Grading Panel is great. It does control the exposure like a real camera. Good job. I like it. Kudos to the team!

Here I've made sample UI design for the current Grading Panel. Just a suggestion, calm down. Just an enhancement what I think it should be.

Features:

-Playhead (To scrub through the media you're currently grading)
-Color FX (Just like how we click beziere mask, but it add color FX instead from the Video FX tab, restricted to only color)
-Split Screen Mode (You can pick any footage in timeline for side by side reference. The Scopes reflects base on which preview u clicked, highlighted with that blue border)
-Beziere Mask Improvement *Skip FX (lol idk what to name it) (Off course, have its own motion tracker. But this time you can decide to not affect certain FX in the FX chain. For an example, the mask wont affect & mask out the color grading FX. It will automatically update and show all of the FX when u add more FX to the video FX chain)

Split Screen & Playhead

Beziere Mask enhancement

Last changed by alifftudm95 on 8/3/2020, 10:20 AM, changed a total of 4 times.

Editor and Colorist (Kinda) from Malaysia

MYPOST Member

PC DEKSTOP

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900x

GPU: RTX3090 24GB

RAM: 64GB 3200MHZ

MOBO: X570-E

Storage:

C DRIVE NVME M.2 1TB SSD GEN 4

D DRIVE NVME M.2 2TB SSD GEN 4

E DRIVE SATA SSD 2TB

F DRIVE SATA SSD 2TB

G DRIVE HDD 1TB

Monitor: Asus ProArt PA279CV 4K HDR (Bought on 30 August 2023)

Monitor: BenQ PD2700U 4K HDR (RIP on 30 August 2023)

fr0sty wrote on 8/3/2020, 10:15 AM

Some good suggestions. I personally do like the new motion tracking method, because I can track once, and that same tracking data can be send to bezier masking, as well as flicker reduction to reduce motion blur, lens flare, or any other effect that has a "position" capability that can be moved around. So, if you have more than one thing that needs motion tracking, it actually dramatically speeds things up, and it doesn't require scripts to make it work, which felt sloppy in 17.

Systems:

Desktop

AMD Ryzen 7 1800x 8 core 16 thread at stock speed

64GB 3000mhz DDR4

Geforce RTX 3090

Windows 10

Laptop:

ASUS Zenbook Pro Duo 32GB (9980HK CPU, RTX 2060 GPU, dual 4K touch screens, main one OLED HDR)

BillM wrote on 8/3/2020, 10:18 AM

Trying to find find maximum 360 video rendering specs for V18. Beyond 4K yet? Any clues?

fr0sty wrote on 8/3/2020, 10:23 AM

Unfortunately, not yet. Just tried a 7680x2180 8k 360 render, it forced the settings back to 4096x2160 when I clicked ok. I'll bring it up to the team in case they don't see this. Maybe it can be worked into the next update.

klapkowscy.com wrote on 8/3/2020, 2:40 PM

I installed vegas 18 pro and it shows an error on startup and wants to send an error report

pierre-k wrote on 8/3/2020, 3:38 PM

After one day of testing .....

What I'm sorry about ....
- AI plugins Colorize and Stylize don't work for me. Reported to team.
- If I have third-party plugins in a project, some projects will not load. Vegas collapses. Reported to the team.
- I'm very sad that there is no GPU support for MXF (AVC long). This 4k 60Mbs format is a hard nut for Vegas.
- deleting events at runtime with Auto Ripple enabled has not been fixed yet. Vegas freezes for two minutes. And if someone says everything is ok, they're not right.
- and perhaps most sadly, I have been waiting for 5 years for the opportunity to mark events with the right mouse button as in Cockos Reaper. I recommend the guys on the team to install Reaper, work in it for a while and then move to Vegas. You'll start missing that feature in Vegas.

Overall, I miss similar minor improvements that will speed up the work.
More logical results with Close Gaps, Time Stretch 0-100% Velocity for audio. Mirroring for PIP, SRT and SUB export and more. There are almost none in this version.

What pleased me ......
- Improved GPU support for DJI AVC and XiaoYi AVC, which have been blacklisted for a long time. Now they play as well as when I turned off the blacklist before. Maybe the team did the same. They don't mention it anywhere.
- Event Handles function. By the way, this could be improved even without making the blue handles visible. Just extend the attachment area. But still thank you. By the way, if you add a new feature, it should be visible and active from the beginning. If I didn't see the tutorial with Gery, I wouldn't know about it at all.
- Simplified Motion Tracking. Although compared to Vegasaur it still has large reserves.

Obviously I have a different idea of ​​what Vegas should be like. Nevertheless, I remain a loyal fan even though I suffer quietly.

here you can compare user requests with reality.

https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/feature-requests-in-vegas-18-update-list-7-5-2020--120327/

By the way .... Now you can't access the internal settings. Probably a different keyboard shortcut. 😺

Steven-Sharkey wrote on 8/3/2020, 3:50 PM

I'd like to try the demo but when I click Start Trial it says it will email me an activation code but I've not received anything. I've tried various support options including Twitter & facebook and even in desperation the youtube event but so far no progress. Despite I feel it's a bit much to pay after the last upgrade was just 3 months ago (waste of money on my part) if I did decide to upgrade this doesn't bode well for any smooth activation of the bought product, I think the software pirates are more efficient!

Sheriff-adeyemi wrote on 8/3/2020, 3:50 PM

I like that thay add click and crackel remove which would be useful for mouth click but I wish that would update the eq fx to something like Ableton in the video

Sheriff-adeyemi wrote on 8/3/2020, 3:53 PM

I like that thay add click and crackel remove which would be useful for mouth click but I wish that would update the eq fx to something like Ableton in the video

fr0sty wrote on 8/3/2020, 3:59 PM

Audio is something the team has long wanted to overhaul, but has not had the opportunity to do yet because there were some very important video features that needed to get some love first, in order to prepare VEGAS for the future. They have told me that audio is high up on the list of things to do from here on out, though, so moving forward hopefully we'll see some things like 64 bit VST3 support (which will enable me to import my Reason rack directly into VEGAS, turning VEGAS into a powerful music creation tool on top of amazing video editing and effects).

Sheriff-adeyemi wrote on 8/3/2020, 4:07 PM

Audio is something the team has long wanted to overhaul, but has not had the opportunity to do yet because there were some very important video features that needed to get some love first, in order to prepare VEGAS for the future. They have told me that audio is high up on the list of things to do from here on out, though, so moving forward hopefully we'll see some things like 64 bit VST3 support (which will enable me to import my Reason rack directly into VEGAS, turning VEGAS into a powerful music creation tool on top of amazing video editing and effects).

That nice to here it's good that the team is aware of it might take time but I'll be patient

JN- wrote on 8/3/2020, 4:13 PM

Haven’t had much time today to check out the new bits, just two items. I tested out the render times for the benchmarking project, was much slower in vp17 than my original test times using vp16. Good news now is that the fhd and uhd times are both faster by 4/5 seconds than my vp16 times, nice indeed. Tested the gpu driver update feature, great, saved having to log into Nvidia app, nice addition also.

Last changed by JN- on 8/3/2020, 4:14 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

---------------------------------------------

VFR2CFR, Variable frame rate to Constant frame rate link to zip here.

Copies Video Converts Audio to AAC, link to zip here.

Convert 2 Lossless, link to ZIP here.

Convert Odd 2 Even (frame size), link to ZIP here

Benchmarking Continued thread + link to zip here

Codec Render Quality tables zip

---------------------------------------------

PC ... Corsair case, own build ...

CPU .. i9 9900K, iGpu UHD 630

Memory .. 32GB DDR4

Graphics card .. MSI RTX 2080 ti

Graphics driver .. latest studio

PSU .. Corsair 850i

Mboard .. Asus Z390 Code

Laptop… XMG

i9-11900k, iGpu n/a

Memory 64GB DDR4

Graphics card … Laptop RTX 3080

fr0sty wrote on 8/3/2020, 4:45 PM

Awesome! Can't wait until we can get some nice benchmarks for 18 across multiple systems!

Systems:

Desktop

AMD Ryzen 7 1800x 8 core 16 thread at stock speed

64GB 3000mhz DDR4

Geforce RTX 3090

Windows 10

Laptop:

ASUS Zenbook Pro Duo 32GB (9980HK CPU, RTX 2060 GPU, dual 4K touch screens, main one OLED HDR)

frmax wrote on 8/3/2020, 7:11 PM

@pierre-k

The "internal" preferences can be reached simply by holding Shift when click on "Options"

I9900K, RTX 2080, 32GB RAM, 512Mb M2, 1TB SSD, VEGAS Pro 14-20 (Post), Magix ProX, HitfilmPro
AMD 5900, RTX 3090 TI, 64GB RAM, 1 TB M2 SSD, 4 TB HD, VP 21 Post

Monitor LG 32UN880; Camera Sony FDR-AX53; Photo Canon EOS, Samsung S22 Ultra

frmax wrote on 8/3/2020, 7:25 PM

Btw Audio in VP18 pro : You can open your Audio with "Edit in Soundforge Pro" and e.g. VST3 is possible: Wondering about "Open in S..." compared to "Open Copy in S...", is it destructive? In my first experiments it changes the properties (name) of the event in the timeline, converting .mp3 to wav, but the original file was not altered.

I9900K, RTX 2080, 32GB RAM, 512Mb M2, 1TB SSD, VEGAS Pro 14-20 (Post), Magix ProX, HitfilmPro

gary-rebholz wrote on 8/4/2020, 8:29 AM

@frmax, Open in SF opens the original file and destructively edits it inside SF (SF edits are typically destructive, meaning you actually change the file). Open a Copy in SF is also destructive, but not on the original file, rather the copy of the original file. Also, when you go back to VP, Open a Copy adds the new file (the copy) as a take to the event that holds the original file (so that now the event has two takes: the original and the new copy) and makes that new take the active take. It would only convert ".mp3 to wav" if that's what you save it as in SF. You could save the copy in whatever format you want to.

frmax wrote on 8/4/2020, 10:17 AM

Oh, thx for clarification. If I always put the sound files into the Project media Pool as copies instead of the original files, then destructive handling won't matter. (Mainly because I still have little knowledge of Soundforge).

joost-berk wrote on 8/4/2020, 12:19 PM

First of all, great applaus to the Vegas team for the work you did on the new release! Very happy to see it all pull off. I spotted a small thing in the new color grading panel when working in HDR. It seems that when you slide the "Exposure" slider, the output will be limited to 100 nits. I don't now if I need to drop this at Support.

Vegas Pro user since version 1.2

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X

RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz

GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Super 8GB GDDR (Latest Studio Driver)

Monitoring: Black Magic Design DeckLink SDI 4K (or Nvidia HDMI for 4K HDR)

Audio: M-Audio M-Track Eight ASIO

Controller: Behringer X-Touch

Sheriff-adeyemi wrote on 8/4/2020, 12:31 PM

@frmax, Open in SF opens the original file and destructively edits it inside SF (SF edits are typically destructive, meaning you actually change the file). Open a Copy in SF is also destructive, but not on the original file, rather the copy of the original file. Also, when you go back to VP, Open a Copy adds the new file (the copy) as a take to the event that holds the original file (so that now the event has two takes: the original and the new copy) and makes that new take the active take. It would only convert ".mp3 to wav" if that's what you save it as in SF. You could save the copy in whatever format you want to.

When u open copy in audio editor do u have to export it from the audio program u used back in to Vegas.

gary-rebholz wrote on 8/4/2020, 2:27 PM

When u open copy in audio editor do u have to export it from the audio program u used back in to Vegas.

Not if you save it from the audio editor back to the same location and with the same name. VEGAS is just pointing to that file. As long as you keep the filepath and name the same as what VEGAS expects, it'll update automatically.

walter-i. wrote on 8/4/2020, 3:58 PM

@gary-rebholz

On my part also a big compliment to Gary and his whole team.
I think with this version - despite Corona - a big hit was made.
I am personally most pleased about the (practically free) integration of Sound Forge. Thanks for that.
Since I have a big project going on, I will only start after update 1, ;-))) and in the meantime read carefully here.

bitman wrote on 8/5/2020, 5:44 AM

@gary-rebholz in your video of last Monday (introduction) you mentioned that Vegas Hub and Vegas prepare is going to be introduced for free in the future for all versions, but looking at the vegas software comparison matrix, the vegas pro 18 edit version will not have any of those, and only the 365 wil have the vegas hub.

Is this correct, or is this just a 'X' or 'V' typo oversite on the matrix?

APPS: VIDEO: VP 365 (21 - build 315), VP 365 20, VP 19 post (latest build -651), (uninstalled VP 12,13,14,15,16 Suite,17, VP18 post), Vegasaur, a lot of NEWBLUE plugins, Mercalli 6.0, Respeedr, Vasco Da Gamma 16 HDpro XXL, Boris Continuum 2024, Davinci Resolve Studio 18, SOUND: RX 10 advanced Audio Editor, Sound Forge Pro 17, Spectral Layers Pro 10, Audacity, FOTO: Zoner, DXO, Luminar, Topaz...

• CPU: i9-13900K (upgraded my former CPU i9-12900K), Air Cooler: Noctua NH-D15s
  • RAM: DDR5 Corsair 64GB (5600-40 Vengeance)
  • Graphics card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3090 TUF OC GAMING (24GB) 
  • Monitor: LG 38 inch ultra-wide (21x9) - Resolution: 3840x1600
  • C-drive: Corsair MP600 PRO XT NVMe SSD 4TB (PCIe Gen. 4)
  • Video drives: Samsung NVMe SSD 2TB (980 pro and 970 EVO plus) each 2TB
  • Mass Data storage & Backup: WD gold 6TB + WD Yellow 4TB
  • MOBO: Gigabyte Z690 AORUS MASTER
  • PSU: Corsair HX1500i, Case: Fractal Design Define 7 (PCGH edition)
  • Misc.: Logitech G915, Evoluent Vertical Mouse, shuttlePROv2

fr0sty wrote on 8/5/2020, 5:50 AM

First of all, great applaus to the Vegas team for the work you did on the new release! Very happy to see it all pull off. I spotted a small thing in the new color grading panel when working in HDR. It seems that when you slide the "Exposure" slider, the output will be limited to 100 nits. I don't now if I need to drop this at Support.

I also spotted this bug and reported it to the team, they'll have it fixed soon. It also applies to non-HDR 32 bit projects.