Where has my external preview monitor gone?

Comments

paul_w wrote on 9/21/2016, 3:52 PM

Not yet but it may come to that, i will check for updates tomorrow when i get back to the edit PC.

I can understand having to do that after a new Windows install, but these drivers work fine with v9 10 11. Odd!

Former user wrote on 9/21/2016, 4:24 PM

yeah, that is odd. But when I upgraded to current Windows 10, Vegas did not give me an option to use the GPU at all. It did not recognize my video card, although both monitors worked. I reinstalled the drivers and everybody was happy.

paul_w wrote on 9/21/2016, 4:40 PM

Well i do see the GPU option in the prefs->video dialog. I can see the GTX listed in there so Vegas knows the card is installed. That implies the drivers are working in v14 otherwise it would not be listed. But yes, i will try a reinstall anyway.

This issue really seems to be in detecting the secondary display information. v14 just doesn't see any for whatever reason. Hence the missing fields in the dialog box. No idea why at this time.

Adi-W wrote on 9/21/2016, 7:30 PM

Some interesting finding here. As a backup purpose, I make regularly a bootable image of my Operating System on a separate SSD on the same PC. And on this recent backup/image, I did updated my Vegas-Pro #454 to the Magix version Vegas-Pro13 #545 just to see what will happened with script. But I did not play with it more than that. So, I did have a look again, and I just discovered thatย Vegas-Pro13 #545 had the exact same "external display" problem than Vegas 14 !

So, obviously, this problem come from the earlier version Vegas-Pro13 #545. I don't mean that you had to installed Vegas-Pro13 #545 to get the problem, I mean the bug is already present in the "coding" of Vegas-Pro13 #545. Hope this will help Magix to find more quickly a solution...

NickHope wrote on 9/21/2016, 10:43 PM
hello Magix, do i need to post a ticket?

I don't work for MAGIX of course, but having read this thread, I would say definitely YES. So far it's looking like you're more likely to reach the right people by submitting a support ticket than here on the forum, same as in the SCS days. https://support2.magix.com/customer/en/vegas/form

paul_w wrote on 9/22/2016, 2:12 AM

Nice find jwe, and thanks for doing that test with v13 #545

Yes Nick, i'm going to submit a ticket today. Looking like a bug.

paul_w wrote on 9/22/2016, 2:31 AM

So i just typed a whole description in the ticket form and got back "Unfortunately there was an error during sending your request, please try again later".. :(

vitus wrote on 9/22/2016, 2:45 AM

Today, on the same desktop system, I installed the Vegas for a "clean" Windows 7 and ... voila: output to the second monitor is working. Probably, bug appears in combination with other versions of the installed system components: .NET frameworks xx, Visual C++ ... Redistributable xx and etc.

paul_w wrote on 9/22/2016, 2:52 AM

.NET version had crossed my mind vitus. Quite honestly its going to be tricky to nail this down to a framework conflict and not being able to submit a service ticket doesn't help either.. I am now out of time and have ditched testing v14 for now. Maybe MAGIX can respond please. This needs sorting out.

paul_w wrote on 9/22/2016, 3:08 AM

Error found in Submitting a ticket: Product Version does not test for invalid characters. I had typed "trial 14" which trashed my description text (time wasted), where just "14" worked. No warning given.

NickHope wrote on 9/22/2016, 3:47 AM

Always worth copying text to the clipboard or even Notepad before submitting anything that you've worked hard on to anywhere. It's a paranoid habit of mine.

In that version field I think I put the following and it worked ok:

14.0 (Build 161)

paul_w wrote on 9/22/2016, 4:26 AM

Yes I do the same usually.

Adi-W wrote on 9/23/2016, 12:50 AM

Hi Paul, there is at least one good news with a simple solution ๐Ÿ˜‰... Just update your .NET version to the last one thas is NDP462-KB3151802-Web (4.6.2). I did it and and the "external display" is fully working now in Vegas-Pro 14. I suppose this should be good for everybody that had theย "external display" malfunction.

NickHope wrote on 9/23/2016, 4:52 AM

.NET 4.6.2 also fixed it for another user: https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/fullscreen-display--103699/

Edit: and another https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/nvidia-k2000m-vegas-13-14--104146/

paul_w wrote on 9/23/2016, 6:19 AM

Working!

Thanks jwe, that did the trick, and thanks Nick and everyone for your help too.

.NET version checker available here:

http://www.asoft.be/prod_netver.html

and .NET update here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-GB/download/confirmation.aspx?id=53344

My installed version was 4.5, I updated to 4.6.2 and job done. Vegas should be detecting this as a minimum requirement and installing the latest version as needed. Seems not.

NickHope wrote on 9/23/2016, 6:25 AM

Paul, could you please reply to your support request acknowledgement email under the same email title telling them the solution and that you suggest Vegas should detect for and install 4.6.2. There's no proper support ticket system at the moment where you can update info, but by doing that it should reach the right people more effectively than here and there's a chance to get it fixed quickly.

NickHope wrote on 9/23/2016, 6:27 AM

.... at least i think that should work, although I suppose it might not until someone from support has actually replied to you in person, as opposed to you just getting the acknowledgment.

paul_w wrote on 9/23/2016, 6:30 AM

Already done Nick! Details sent.

NickHope wrote on 9/23/2016, 6:37 AM

Thanks Paul.

But... arrrggghhhhh... I just remembered that .NET 4.6.2 might be responsible for breaking Media Manager.

paul_w wrote on 9/23/2016, 6:50 AM

Ha.. Never mind. Who could have guessed these issues could be releated. Vegas is dependant on the .NET framework and has been for years. I guess we'll just have to keep an eye out for this in the future.

NickHope wrote on 9/23/2016, 6:56 AM

Wish I'd never asked you to update that ticket lol. I want a bugfix release of VP14 that doesn't go looking for .NET 4.6.2, cuz if it breaks MM then it'll be a showstopper for me. Doh

paul_w wrote on 9/23/2016, 7:02 AM

What a mess.. So does your MM break just by installing 4.6.2? I thought .NET versions can coexist without any problems.

Adi-W wrote on 9/23/2016, 7:44 AM

Hi Nick, I don't use MM but I just installed it and it seems to work very well here with .NET 4.6.2.

NickHope wrote on 9/23/2016, 7:48 AM

What a mess.. So does your MM break just by installing 4.6.2? I thought .NET versions can coexist without any problems.

It broke with the Windows 10 Anniversary update, and my research started to point to .NET 4.6.2 as a possibility. That might not be the case, and Microsoft might do something to fix whatever it was. It's nerve-wracking because I've effectively bought myself about 9 months (by rolling back etc.) before Windows will force the Anniversary update on me. If that then still breaks Media Manager, I'll have to roll back to Windows 8.1, but I can't find my Trueimage backup files for that any more... only a couple for Windows 10. I think I needed the disk space, got over-confident in Windows 10, and deleted the (huge) older Trueimage backups for 8.1. That'll teach me! Still hopeful that Microsoft will fix the issue in time... or, dare I say it, MAGIX will update Media Manager. Cue flying pigs... ๐Ÿ– ๐Ÿ– ๐Ÿ–