Comments

Len Kaufman wrote on 10/9/2017, 4:40 PM

If you can open this Vegas Pro Editors Facebook page, you can see that the efforts to ward off piracy are needed....and work, too. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10208419186271039&set=gm.10155761820146565&type=3&theater&ifg=1

NickHope wrote on 10/9/2017, 11:15 PM

Download here: http://vegasaur.com/bin/scripts/Activate%20Renderers.cs

Thank Altarvic! Works great. I added a link in FA! #10.

The Dolby 5.1 window also came up for me in VP14, but not in VP15, where I must have already done such a render.

Peter_P wrote on 10/11/2017, 9:32 AM
So Clause 4 of the Magix Vegas EULA is active?

Maybe. I can't think of another reason why it would have activated yesterday.

It is quite obvious, that Vegas ‘needs’ to make it’s periodic home-calls. Consider you delete the activation on your MAGIX account, to use the license on an other computer. The ‘old’ installation would never know, that the activation was taken over and therefore Vegas ‘needs’ to call home periodically.

If the only way to delete the activation would be using the Vegas Help function, it could be a problem if this PC is no longer working.

Wolfgang S. wrote on 10/11/2017, 11:03 AM
´´

It is quite obvious, that Vegas ‘needs’ to make it’s periodic home-calls. Consider you delete the activation on your MAGIX account, to use the license on an other computer. The ‘old’ installation would never know, that the activation was taken over and therefore Vegas ‘needs’ to call home periodically.

Have you tested that?

Desktop: PC AMD 3960X, 24x3,8 Mhz * GTX 3080 Ti (12 GB)* Blackmagic Extreme 4K 12G * QNAP Max8 10 Gb Lan * Resolve Studio 18 * Edius X* Blackmagic Pocket 6K/6K Pro, EVA1, FS7

Laptop: ProArt Studiobook 16 OLED * internal HDR preview * i9 12900H with i-GPU Iris XE * 32 GB Ram) * Geforce RTX 3070 TI 8GB * internal HDR preview on the laptop monitor * Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K mini

HDR monitor: ProArt Monitor PA32 UCG-K 1600 nits, Atomos Sumo

Others: Edius NX (Canopus NX)-card in an old XP-System. Edius 4.6 and other systems

Peter_P wrote on 10/11/2017, 11:25 AM

I could see Vegas pro 15 to request an internet connection immediately on start. There where no media files to activate and all have been activated before.

My work system is always offline unless Vegas request a connection. The same happened already some times with Vp14.

Wolfgang S. wrote on 10/11/2017, 1:05 PM

The interesting question is a different one: what happpens if there is no internet connection even if all codecs are activated? Would Vegas stop to work?

Desktop: PC AMD 3960X, 24x3,8 Mhz * GTX 3080 Ti (12 GB)* Blackmagic Extreme 4K 12G * QNAP Max8 10 Gb Lan * Resolve Studio 18 * Edius X* Blackmagic Pocket 6K/6K Pro, EVA1, FS7

Laptop: ProArt Studiobook 16 OLED * internal HDR preview * i9 12900H with i-GPU Iris XE * 32 GB Ram) * Geforce RTX 3070 TI 8GB * internal HDR preview on the laptop monitor * Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K mini

Others: Edius NX (Canopus NX)-card in an old XP-System. Edius 4.6 and other systems

Kit-As-Was wrote on 10/11/2017, 4:21 PM

I disagree. A program may need to phone home during installation to verify that the license code used is legitimate and not in use. After that it doesn't need to keep checking. In my experience deactivation of a program occurs from within the program and then an internet connection is required and expected. No program should need to keep phoning home to keep working. I consider that a form of ransomware. Magix needs to come clean on how their activation system works. There should be one Eula. If Vegas 15 does require constant verification that's the end of the line for me. Vegas will join Coreldraw and Dreamweaver in a list of programs I will not spend further money on.

Former user wrote on 10/11/2017, 5:27 PM

Where will you go then?

Kinvermark wrote on 10/11/2017, 6:29 PM

Two questions:

1) Has it actually been established that Vegas stops working if it cannot get an internet connection whenever it wants ?

2) Besides the obvious problem for remote travelling editors, what are the other concerns? (privacy?)

Kit-As-Was wrote on 10/11/2017, 8:26 PM

Where will you go then?

I'll wait and see. I'm still using Coreldraw X6 (no service packs) and Dreamwever CS5.5. I will check out DaVinci Resolve. But I hope Magix will fully honour the commitment given when they took over Vegas and have it work without the need to keep phoning home.

Kinvermark wrote on 10/11/2017, 9:33 PM

Can you explain why this is so important for you? I honestly just want to understand.

EricLNZ wrote on 10/11/2017, 10:42 PM
2) Besides the obvious problem for remote travelling editors, what are the other concerns? (privacy?)

Phoning home requires getting an internet connection from somewhere in the world to Magix's home. Normally no problem (apart from when you're out in the wilderness with your laptop and there's no internet for miles). But we are currently living in unsettling times with global conflict more likely than it has been for years since WW2. This could result in connections around the world, both on land/sea and satellite, being disrupted until damage is repaired and the world returns to normality. Whilst we would probably have more important things to worry about having your software cease to work wouldn't help.

Peter_P wrote on 10/12/2017, 1:17 AM

1) Has it actually been established that Vegas stops working if it cannot get an internet connection whenever it wants ?

Yes it happend to my Vp14 system.

Peter_P wrote on 10/12/2017, 1:24 AM

I disagree. A program may need to phone home during installation to verify that the license code used is legitimate and not in use. After that it doesn't need to keep checking. In my experience deactivation of a program occurs from within the program and then an internet connection is required and expected.

This is one way you can deactivate Vegas. But what if this system is no longer working and you can not use the activated Vegas ?

No program should need to keep phoning home to keep working.

When you use the way over your account to free the activation, the running Vegas would never know that it should stop working, unless it asks some times at home. And this might cause a problem if no connection is possible.

I think, it would be better to have the deactivation only by the running program. Then no home calls are required.

EricLNZ wrote on 10/12/2017, 2:08 AM

I think, it would be better to have the deactivation only by the running program. Then no home calls are required.

But then you have a problem if the running programme isn't available such as with a hard drive failure.

Peter_P wrote on 10/12/2017, 2:24 AM

But then you have a problem if the running programme isn't available such as with a hard drive failure.

Right, that's what I stated above. But this should happen very seldom and would require to contact the support for help.

Wolfgang S. wrote on 10/12/2017, 6:51 AM

And how Long was the System offline? What were the necessary steps to activate Vegas Pro 14 again? Contact the support?

Peter_P wrote on 10/12/2017, 7:32 AM

And how Long was the System offline?

I did not take notes about the last Vp14 request to go online. But I'll do from now on.

What were the necessary steps to activate Vegas Pro 14 again?

I had just to connect the PC to the intenet before starting Vp15 to allow it's home call without any additional entries or confirmations. On PCs with constant internet connection, this would not be visable.

Former user wrote on 10/13/2017, 11:31 PM

I disagree. A program may need to phone home during installation to verify that the license code used is legitimate and not in use. After that it doesn't need to keep checking.

People say Sony gave up on vegas due to rampant piracy(don't know if true) so it would make sense the new owner attempts to prevent piracy by usual methods that are always hacked succesfully but then it has the 2ndry anti piracy measure of phoning home to confirm serial periodically.

If the anti piracy methods aren't too problematic then it benefits the user in that Magix gets the income it requires to continue to support and develop the product.

Kinvermark wrote on 10/14/2017, 10:34 AM
If the anti piracy methods aren't too problematic then it benefits the user in that Magix gets the income it requires to continue to support and develop the product.

+1

This is a very important point to keep in mind for those who object to "phone home" on a purely philosophical basis.

EricLNZ wrote on 10/14/2017, 6:06 PM

+1

This is a very important point to keep in mind for those who object to "phone home" on a purely philosophical basis.

Or on a practical basis. Anyway who are the "people" who talk about the alleged piracy. Is there any truth in it or is it "fake news"?

Kinvermark wrote on 10/14/2017, 6:42 PM

I don't know how bad the piracy is (or isn't), but I did notice a shocking amount of YouTube videos advertising "cracked" versions of Vegas 15 almost immediately after its release. There have also been a few individuals on this forum asking for help who openly admitted to having a pirated version of the software and had links on their own YouTube channels to cracked versions. So that seems pretty bad to me.

Kit-As-Was wrote on 10/14/2017, 7:36 PM

I agree that is important that Magix get revenue so they can continue to support and develop Vegas. I don' think tying Vegas to the internet is the answer. I've lost hours of work because my computer isn't permanently connected. Vegas 14 opened but crashed without warning when I pressed save. If Vegas does require internet connection that has to be spelled out clearly at the point of sale. As it was I bought Vegas 14 on the basis of promises made when Magix took over from Sony so there is an issue of lost trust. I very much doubt that phoning home to validate a licence will limit piracy. Other companies (eg Reaper) seem to do OK without hamstringing their software in this way. A software product that won't work off-line isn't a real product in my book and companies that tout such software don't deserve support.

Grazie wrote on 10/15/2017, 12:20 AM

OK, guys, is there a utility that I could deploy/employ to monitor when and if the Internet is being summonsed? I want to test a theory.

Last changed by Grazie on 10/15/2017, 12:22 AM, changed a total of 2 times.

Grazie

PC 10 64-bit 64gb * Intel Core i9 10900X s2066 * EVGA RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra 10GB - Studio Driver 551.23 * 4x16G CorsVengLPX DDR4 2666C16 * Asus TUF X299 MK 2

Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX60HS Bridge