Comments

Cliff Etzel wrote on 1/4/2017, 5:35 PM

What source files???

Radomir wrote on 1/4/2017, 5:38 PM

Sorry, i didn't know that there is automatic embed video. Source files is in description of video:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/m5rrourqi6sp8a1/Neumann_Films_-_Panasonic_GH5_Footage.zip

Marco. wrote on 1/4/2017, 6:18 PM

Are the 24p/30p video samples recorded via a certain firmware hack? Or were they recorded with a pre-release version of the GH5?
Its infos say it's 4k 10 bit 4:2:2 level 5.1. I thought this recording feature is not yet available for the GH5.
None of the video software or players I use can open these certain files (at least not playback).

GregFlowers wrote on 1/4/2017, 6:35 PM

I can't get the 24p or 30p footage to playback on my system with VLC player or Windows Media Player or in Vegas. I can play the 60p videos fine with both players.

Cliff Etzel wrote on 1/4/2017, 6:39 PM

Well, given I can drop the native clips on to a Ppro CS6 timeline and they do play back, albeit sluggish, it speaks about each NLE's capabilities - PPro CS6 is how old and how new is VP14? SMH...

marcin-grochowski wrote on 1/4/2017, 7:05 PM

The adobe premiere CC everything works as it should.  I confirm that the files from GH5 not work in Vegas.

NormanPCN wrote on 1/4/2017, 9:35 PM

Vegas can handle 10-bit 422 AVC media streams but only in MXF files. aka XAVC, and Panasonic P2.

Given how Vegas sets up its file import structure the Mainconcept "broadcast" AVC decoder is not used for MP4 file import even though Vegas ships the broadcast decoder. The way Vegas has it setup, each file format MP4, MXF only supports very specific codecs. Silly IMO. In this case very limiting since the GH5 can do 10-bit 422 in MP4 files.

The broadcast decoder is mc_bc_dec_avc.dll. It supports 8/10-bit and 422/420.

The plain decoder is mc_dec_avc.dll. It only supports 8-bit and 420.

If Vegas was not so restrictive with their layout and use, like other apps, then this would not be a problem.

NickHope wrote on 1/4/2017, 9:59 PM

I see Resolve can't open them either.

I'd be hesitant about escalating this as a bug before testing footage from a production camera. Perhaps Panasonic will tweak things if major NLEs can't cope. Neumann was obviously using a prototype/pre-production unit.

I wonder if there's an FFMpeg lossless re-wrap that would work.

NormanPCN wrote on 1/4/2017, 11:05 PM

According to a Dpreview some modes already have 10-bit 422 recording. Assuming I read them correctly. Specifically low framerate UHD already has this. The Samples provided at 10-bit 422 are low framerate UHD.

The two announced firmware updates add additional modes at 10-bit 422 internal recording including All-I.

To get that to work in Vegas a remux to MXF might work. But what tool to remux with. The current ffmpeg MXF muxer only likes AVC Intra (All-I). No LongGOP. I just tried it.

ffmpeg.exe -i %1 -c:v copy -c:a pcm_s16le -filter_complex channelsplit=channel_layout=stereo[FL][FR] -map 0:v:0 -map [FL] -map [FR] "%~dpn1.mxf"

Kinvermark wrote on 1/4/2017, 11:37 PM

Tried to convert  gh5 10 bit file to cineform with gopro studio - failed.  

It's early days (camera doesn't even ship until March), but hopefully Magix will take this seriously as it looks like it will be another very popular camera.

NickHope wrote on 1/5/2017, 12:35 AM

Its infos say it's 4k 10 bit 4:2:2 level 5.1. I thought this recording feature is not yet available for the GH5.

It's available straight away but only at 150Mbps up to 30fps. There are planned firmware updates that will give 400Mbps but I'm still not clear whether that will include 4k 10 bit 422 All-I at 60p.

This is a good intro on the camera:

I can't get the 24p or 30p footage to playback on my system with VLC player or Windows Media Player or in Vegas. I can play the 60p videos fine with both players.

They all play smoothly for me in VLC 2.2.1 but not WMP. In VP13 and 14 the 24p and 30p files play audio but not video. The 60p files play OK.

It's important that Vegas opens all files from this camera as it's going to be very popular.

NickHope wrote on 1/5/2017, 12:37 AM

In fact I'd say that Magix have an opportunity to steal a lead on the competition by concentrating on supporting this format.

GJeffrey wrote on 1/5/2017, 12:56 AM

But what tool to remux with. The current ffmpeg MXF muxer only likes AVC Intra (All-I). No LongGOP. I just tried it.

This may be??

Wolfgang S. wrote on 1/5/2017, 7:37 AM

TMPGenc 6 should be able to convert those files, for example to Cineform. Or one uses the Catalyst.

Desktop: PC AMD 3960X, 24x3,8 Mhz * GTX 3080 Ti * Blackmagic Extreme 4K 12G * QNAP Max8 10 Gb Lan * Blackmagic Pocket 6K/6K Pro, EVA1, FS7

Laptop: ProArt Studiobook 16 OLED (ProArt Studiobook 16 OLED (i9 12900H with i-GPU Iris XE, 32 GB Ram. Geforce RTX 3070 TI 8GB) with internal HDR preview on the laptop monitor. Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K mini

HDR monitor: ProArt Monitor PA32 UCG, Atomos Sumo

marcin-grochowski wrote on 1/5/2017, 7:55 AM

I hope that it will add support for these files. The only question is when?

Peter_P wrote on 1/5/2017, 9:42 AM

If there is a really high demand at this early state of the GH5 – it is just announced today and 10Bit 4:2:2 will be available from summer on – I could adapt my HEVC + ProRes + XAVC-L Vegas Plug In (development study) to allow the import of the new GH5 files to Vp13.

This plugIn uses the LAV-Decoder that I just checked is playing these 10 Bit 4:2:2 files

Format                         : AVC
Format/Info                    : Advanced Video Codec

Format profile                 : High 4:2:2@L5.1
Format settings, CABAC         : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames      : 1 frame
Format settings, GOP           : M=1, N=15
Codec ID                       : avc1
Codec ID/Info                  : Advanced Video Coding
Duration                       : 5s 506ms
Bit rate mode                  : Variable
Bit rate                       : 143 Mbps
Maximum bit rate               : 200 Mbps
Width                          : 3 840 pixels
Height                         : 2 160 pixels
Display aspect ratio           : 16:9
Frame rate mode                : Constant
Frame rate                     : 29.970 fps
Standard                       : Component
Color space                    : YUV
Chroma subsampling             : 4:2:2
Bit depth                      : 10 bits

Scan type                      : Progressive

But I’m sure the Vegas pro development team will have this fixed in time.

Peter

Peter_P wrote on 1/5/2017, 10:06 AM

By the way, my ShowRecDat already works with the new GH5 Files and show that they have been recorded on a GH5 fw003

Peter

NickHope wrote on 1/5/2017, 8:02 PM

...I could adapt my HEVC + ProRes + XAVC-L Vegas Plug In (development study) to allow the import of the new GH5 files to Vp13.

Peter, could you give us a little more information about this plugin? I have not heard of it before. What does it do exactly and does it work, or is it still needed, in VP14?

Jakob wrote on 1/6/2017, 7:56 AM

Same problem with the JVC GY- LS300 I have: its AVC Long High422@L4.1 format in a MOV container doesn't work in Vegas pro either (but all its other formats, AVC 420 / 4k, etc. do).

I use Catalyst browse to convert it to an MXF AVC Intra 422 format... but would prefer to be able to use it directly on Vegas timeline of course ! I Would very much like Magix to enable that format in Vegas soon.

Peter_P wrote on 1/6/2017, 9:51 AM

Peter, could you give us a little more information about this plugin? I have not heard of it before. What does it do exactly and does it work, or is it still needed, in VP14?

Nick, this project was initially started to allow native H.265/HEVC  material use in Vegas pro 13. I used the free LAV decoder with a directX graph within my plugin, which can not be as  performant as if the decoder code is within the plugin. But I was surprised about the result.

At this time Vegas pro 13 had problem importing ProRes and XAVC-L and so I expanded it for those formats. It was just a study to allow native reading of those files into Vegas and I was impressed by the performance.

Now that we have Vegas pro 14 with H.265/HEVC support this plugin is not really needed to import HEVC any longer. But if there is a high demand to analyze the early GH5 10 Bit 4:2:2 files, it could be adapted.

Peter

gary-rebholz wrote on 1/6/2017, 11:23 AM

Thanks for the discussion everyone. We're definitely looking into it.

ion-marin wrote on 1/6/2017, 6:42 PM

I see Resolve can't open them either.

I'd be hesitant about escalating this as a bug before testing footage from a production camera. Perhaps Panasonic will tweak things if major NLEs can't cope. Neumann was obviously using a prototype/pre-production unit.

I wonder if there's an FFMpeg lossless re-wrap that would work.

i agree with you, but it woud be very nice to be able to edit my footage once GH5 comes out and i get one. If magix doesen't sort this out by the time gh5 is released.....some users including me will have a big problem.... having to wait for magix to fix it or to get another NLE which can handle it.

NickHope wrote on 1/6/2017, 10:13 PM

Here's the format roadmap for this camera. 4K @ 60p is not planned to be more than 8-bit 4:2:0.

Wolfgang S. wrote on 1/7/2017, 3:26 AM

For UHD 10bit 422 50p/60p you have to use an external recorder like the Shogun Inferno with the GH5.

Desktop: PC AMD 3960X, 24x3,8 Mhz * GTX 3080 Ti * Blackmagic Extreme 4K 12G * QNAP Max8 10 Gb Lan * Blackmagic Pocket 6K/6K Pro, EVA1, FS7

Laptop: ProArt Studiobook 16 OLED (ProArt Studiobook 16 OLED (i9 12900H with i-GPU Iris XE, 32 GB Ram. Geforce RTX 3070 TI 8GB) with internal HDR preview on the laptop monitor. Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K mini

HDR monitor: ProArt Monitor PA32 UCG, Atomos Sumo