Not Responding

Roger Bansemer wrote on 10/11/2022, 12:14 PM

How many of you out there are tired of spending at least 10 minutes every hour restarting Vegas because it's "Not Responding" Someone at Vegas really needs to fix this. It's the only program on my entire system that does crashes constantly and it's really frustrating to have to restart over and over and over during a project.

Comments

RogerS wrote on 10/11/2022, 12:17 PM

What version and build of Vegas?

Custom PC (2022) Intel i5-13600K with UHD 770 iGPU with latest driver, MSI z690 Tomahawk motherboard, 64GB Corsair DDR5 5200 ram, NVIDIA 2080 Super (8GB) with latest studio driver, 2TB Hynix P41 SSD, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit

Dell XPS 15 laptop (2017) 32GB ram, NVIDIA 1050 (4GB) with latest studio driver, Intel i7-7700HQ with Intel 630 iGPU (latest available driver), dual internal SSD (1TB; 1TB), Windows 10 64 bit

VEGAS Pro 19.651
VEGAS Pro 20.411
VEGAS Pro 21.208

Try the
VEGAS 4K "sample project" benchmark (works with VP 16+): https://forms.gle/ypyrrbUghEiaf2aC7
VEGAS Pro 20 "Ad" benchmark (works with VP 20+): https://forms.gle/eErJTR87K2bbJc4Q7

Former user wrote on 10/11/2022, 1:05 PM

@Roger Bansemer Yep, & on here you'll get the usual reply - What media are you using? Is your GPU driver up to date? What are your settings in Preferences?... If you argue then those replies will turn passive aggressive pointing the faults at you & you're use of the software.

There was a post on here not long ago titled something like 'What can be done to make Vegas better', performance & reliability was mentioned a couple of times.

Roger Bansemer wrote on 10/11/2022, 1:14 PM

It's every version of Vegas since I began using it back 12 years ago and continues with V20 Subscription. My computer is windows 10, 64 bit with an RTX700, i9 Core, and 64 gigs of ram which should be enough.

andyrpsmith wrote on 10/11/2022, 1:20 PM

@Roger Bansemer Yep, & on here you'll get the usual reply - What media are you using? Is your GPU driver up to date? What are your settings in Preferences?... If you argue then those replies will turn passive aggressive pointing the faults at you & you're use of the software.

There was a post on here not long ago titled something like 'What can be done to make Vegas better', performance & reliability was mentioned a couple of times.

You may wish to read this thread and it's conclusion.

https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/vegas-16-keeps-crashing--137562/

(Intel 3rd gen i5@4.1GHz, 32GB RAM, SSD, 1080Ti GPU, Windows 10) Not now used with Vegas.

13th gen i913900K - water cooled, 96GB RAM, 4TB M2 drive, 4TB games SSD, 2TB video SSD, GPU RTX 4080 Super, Windows 11 pro

Former user wrote on 10/11/2022, 1:45 PM

@andyrpsmith I read almost every post on here & have done for a couple of yrs, my GPU drivers are always up to date, my system is more than powerful enough to do the job yet I get a few crashes every night when I use Vegas + effects,

The last few wks I've been learning & playing with Adobe AE + Boris effects, I've crashed it maybe 6 times, that's using it 6-8hrs every night, pressing the wrong buttons, messing with it's head & mine yet no crashes,

I've used Magix Edit Pro what's now Movie Studio since 2004, that's solid as a rock,

I've got Mocha Pro Standalone, Boris's Silhouette, & some CAD software, + other stuff.

As @Roger Bansemer says Vegas is the only program on my PC that constantly crashes, 🤔

Former user wrote on 10/11/2022, 6:59 PM

@andyrpsmith 

The last few wks I've been learning & playing with Adobe AE + Boris effects, I've crashed it maybe 6 times, that's using it 6-8hrs every night, pressing the wrong buttons, messing with it's head & mine yet no crashes,

As @Roger Bansemer says Vegas is the only program on my PC that constantly crashes, 🤔

@Former user The thing I notice with boris and Resolve (that use the same OFX version) is that Resolve always recovers when I get a 'stopped responding message' . You just have to wait, could take as long as 6 seconds, and sometimes that's true with Vegas, but often it never recovers, and if you dare touch a key or click a mouse button it's 100% crashed. I am guessing Boris is semi to blame, but Vegas handles the problem much worse than other NLE's. The not responding situation I mention is directly related to interaction with the boris menu. I don't get 'not responding' with Boris and Resolve otherwise (temping fate saying that)

jetdv wrote on 10/12/2022, 8:04 AM

@Roger Bansemer, I have seen the same thing. Hasn't stopped any edits but did force me to save more frequently and work just a little slower which seemed to help. I found when my timeline locked up, playback was still happening and I could still press CTRL-S to save the project before stopping the playback and then getting the "gray out" screen. Waiting for the first update for VEGAS Pro 20 as I know stability is a big push right now.

Is this similar to what you see?

Roger Bansemer wrote on 10/12/2022, 8:11 AM

That is one instance that happens to me but more often it just locks up with the "not responding" indication. I'm a huge fan of Vegas and love editing but this not responding things is really getting frustrating after spending thousands of dollars over the years for upgrades. Come on Vegas, please try and resolve this. I've watched youtube tutorials on how to improve performance, etc but it still crashes. I'm not kidding when I say I spend 10 minutes out of every hour restarting Vegas.

Hamilton53 wrote on 10/12/2022, 8:15 AM

I wish I could say, "I have no idea what you are talking about", however, I know exactly what you're talking about. Hit that "save" button often... I have two versions of Vegas loaded V20-139 and V19-550. The latter was fairly stable and v643 was pretty good.

Since you may have followed the advice on YouTube how to stop crashes, the first thing I recommend is doing a control-shift reset at startup and never watching those videos again...

Former user wrote on 10/12/2022, 8:33 AM

@Former user I asked Peter on the Boris forum about something, can't remember what, he asked 'how long does Vegas hang for'. My reply was 'Vegas doesn't hang, if it freezes that's it, end of game, touch the screen & it's the white screen of death',

Like you say other software might freeze/hang for a moment but then it sorts itself out,

@Roger Bansemer I turned on Tools - Advanced save - Live Save, it saves after every edit so you don't loose those last few steps you took & forgot to save, but the problem is it overwrites your saved project, not always what you want & you have to give Vegas a moment after each edit for it to do that auto save,

RogerS wrote on 10/12/2022, 8:35 AM

I've found advanced backup (not live save)very useful as it creates incremental saves every few minutes but doesn't save everything I do like live save which I don't want as I experiment when editing.

Last changed by RogerS on 10/12/2022, 9:20 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

Custom PC (2022) Intel i5-13600K with UHD 770 iGPU with latest driver, MSI z690 Tomahawk motherboard, 64GB Corsair DDR5 5200 ram, NVIDIA 2080 Super (8GB) with latest studio driver, 2TB Hynix P41 SSD, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit

Dell XPS 15 laptop (2017) 32GB ram, NVIDIA 1050 (4GB) with latest studio driver, Intel i7-7700HQ with Intel 630 iGPU (latest available driver), dual internal SSD (1TB; 1TB), Windows 10 64 bit

VEGAS Pro 19.651
VEGAS Pro 20.411
VEGAS Pro 21.208

Try the
VEGAS 4K "sample project" benchmark (works with VP 16+): https://forms.gle/ypyrrbUghEiaf2aC7
VEGAS Pro 20 "Ad" benchmark (works with VP 20+): https://forms.gle/eErJTR87K2bbJc4Q7

Former user wrote on 10/12/2022, 9:16 AM

@RogerS Yeah I turned on Live Save for when it crashes, you can get a lot done in a few minutes so saving after each edit is good but when doing as you say experimental, I found it had written over my project, doh! so now it gets turned on as n when it's appropriate,

Roger Bansemer wrote on 10/12/2022, 9:58 AM

I do save all the time. I'm constantly hitting ctrl-S but we really shouldn't have to be doing that all the time.

RogerS wrote on 10/12/2022, 11:13 AM

Just use advanced backup and pick a short interval.

VEGAS Pro 19.651
VEGAS Pro 20.411
VEGAS Pro 21.208

Try the

Former user wrote on 10/17/2022, 3:59 AM

@Roger Bansemer No you shouldn't have to keep saving,

PS. I just noticed a post titled something like 'Why you wouldn't recommend Vegas?' , crashing was the reason in that post, but that post has disappeared, I doubt the OP deleted it so I think the higher authorities have.

Turning a blind eye or Ignorance is bliss, it portrays in posts like this one where there's a severe lack of regular members commenting on this issue, ,

Reyfox wrote on 10/17/2022, 4:50 AM

I'm always saving, but doing incremental saves, not saving over the project itself (Ctrl s). I've been doing this forever, not matter what software I've used to edit. And when I am finished editing and have the final project, I go back in and delete all the previous "Save as" projects.

It's a habit that I don't want to break. I do something I don't want to replicate, it gets an incremental save. And yes, there might be something in my edit that will cause the dreaded "white screen of death", so I go back to the previous save and take my steps slowly to see what caused it, saving along the way.

I'm still on VP19 and did reach a frustration point where doing simple editing would cause the white screen. I'd exit, restart, pick up where I left off, and it might happen again. But after that, Vegas for would stable until I would get up for my break. But when I get the crash, body temps rise and I wonder "why" am I bothering with this. But then I look at other editors, read about their issues, and then having to learn something new (at my age, it's tough), I plod along with Vegas. Most of the time, quite happily....except for that memory leaking/stealing issue.

jetdv wrote on 10/19/2022, 9:10 AM

Using build 214 of VEGAS Pro 20, I have no longer seen this issue happen on my projects.

Steve_Rhoden wrote on 10/19/2022, 10:18 AM

@Roger Bansemer Hey Roger, i remember and is fully aware of your crashing issues with Vegas over the years, from on the Creative Cow forum as far back using Vegas 12..... Its often a puzzle figuring out why Vegas runs smoothly on some machines and crash riddled on others, there is always so much variables also.

Personally for me, to avoid the pitfalls i just go with absolutely no GPU anywhere in my editing system, and its editing bliss doing that.... But, this cant be a recommendation for others..... Vegas is a very different breed of NLE, and so i think that something in its architecture / coding is often conflicting with some systems config, causing this issue to be languishing on over the years for some users.

Try this newest build (214), run it through its paces for a couple hours etc and get back to us if the crashes persists. https://rdir.magix.net/?page=3E2ILX0PGVFJ

Roger Bansemer wrote on 10/19/2022, 10:32 AM

I just updated this morning and will see how it goes. I'm curious... you say you use not GPU. I have an RTX 3070. Are you suggesting that I set it to none and why would that help?

Thanks

Vincent-Brice wrote on 10/19/2022, 11:15 AM

@Roger Bansemer I have an RX 6800XT but with hardware decoding enabled it crashes constantly, unusable, but when I Enable legacy AVC decoding, which greys out the Hardware Decoder, I never get a crash, honestly, never. I just make use of Dynamic RAM Preview across intensive effects, having it set at 40%. Sure, it now seems a waste of money to have upgraded to the RX 6800XT but at least as @Steve_Rhoden says, I have "editing bliss", happily using Vegas frustration free, and hopefully, it may be utilised more in the future 😊

Gigabyte Aorus Pro V2 motherboard, AMD Ryzen 9 5950X, Gigabyte AMD RX 6800XT, 64GB Corsair Vengeance 3600MHz ("Ryzen tuned", whatever that is), 500GB Corsair Force MP600 Gen 4 M.2 C:drive for windows and programs, 500GB Samsung Sata SSD EVO D:drive for video files, 1TB Samsung Sata SSD EVO E:drive for all other data, Creative Sound Blaster Z sound card, Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce 360 CPU cooler, Thermaltake Core P5 TG open case, Contour ShuttleXpress.

Windows 11 Pro 22H2, Vegas 20 Build 403, AMD driver version 23.4.3

Roger Bansemer wrote on 10/19/2022, 11:18 AM

That's really interesting. I'll change my preferences now and give it a try. Once question though. Would that slow down rendering time? Thanks for the information.

Vincent-Brice wrote on 10/19/2022, 11:32 AM

No, not for me. I did multiple renders of the Vegas 4K Benchmarking Project with Legacy enabled and disabled and the fastest time by a second was with legacy AVC decoder enabled. I put both times on the Benchmarking results as suggested by Roger for others info. I hope you get it sorted.

Gigabyte Aorus Pro V2 motherboard, AMD Ryzen 9 5950X, Gigabyte AMD RX 6800XT, 64GB Corsair Vengeance 3600MHz ("Ryzen tuned", whatever that is), 500GB Corsair Force MP600 Gen 4 M.2 C:drive for windows and programs, 500GB Samsung Sata SSD EVO D:drive for video files, 1TB Samsung Sata SSD EVO E:drive for all other data, Creative Sound Blaster Z sound card, Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce 360 CPU cooler, Thermaltake Core P5 TG open case, Contour ShuttleXpress.

Windows 11 Pro 22H2, Vegas 20 Build 403, AMD driver version 23.4.3

andyrpsmith wrote on 10/19/2022, 12:01 PM

I just updated this morning and will see how it goes. I'm curious... you say you use not GPU. I have an RTX 3070. Are you suggesting that I set it to none and why would that help?

Thanks

Changing to legacy AVC forces Vegas to use compoundplug.dll to decode (CPU only) rather than the so4compoundplug.dll which uses the GPU and can decode other formats the legacy one does not.

(Intel 3rd gen i5@4.1GHz, 32GB RAM, SSD, 1080Ti GPU, Windows 10) Not now used with Vegas.

13th gen i913900K - water cooled, 96GB RAM, 4TB M2 drive, 4TB games SSD, 2TB video SSD, GPU RTX 4080 Super, Windows 11 pro

RogerS wrote on 10/19/2022, 12:23 PM

It really depends what media you are using. XDCAM or ProRes or other formats that the GPU doesn't work with? No difference. Simple 8-bit AVC that the CPU can decode easily (such as the benchmark)? May or may not benefit from GPU decoding, depends if the CPU becomes a bottleneck. HEVC or other highly compressed formats the GPU can decode? Turning off the GPU should worsen performance.

The Vegas benchmark and responses are here for reference.

One other note is that if your GPU for decoding is Intel, NVIDIA or AMD they perform differently with different media types in Vegas so I wouldn't assume someone's experiences with a different GPU decoder applies to your experience with your decoder and media.

Last changed by RogerS on 10/19/2022, 12:35 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

VEGAS Pro 19.651
VEGAS Pro 20.411
VEGAS Pro 21.208

Try the