Not Responding

Comments

PaVink wrote on 11/11/2022, 2:12 PM

It's every version of Vegas since I began using it back 12 years ago and continues with V20 Subscription. My computer is windows 10, 64 bit with an RTX700, i9 Core, and 64 gigs of ram which should be enough.

Same here. I tend to edit at most one movie per year (family holidays ...), and will admit I have used several 'internet versions' of Vegas to do that (despite having access to the full Adobe suite!). I have had the same 'not responding' issue for all those versions and all those years as well. Rendering and all is not a problem - it is just simple edits that reliably result in the Vegas hanging.

I always blamed it on using those 'internet versions', and finally set out to buy a proper license from the Magix web site last week. Once on the web site, at the last minute I decided to first download the trial version (v20) first. Fifteen minutes into using that version, I ran into exactly the same problem. I've spent a week toggling on or off just about every setting, but none makes any difference at all.

So obviously .. I am not going to spend any money at Magix and will now start using that other video editor instead ...

(Windows 10, latest and greatest version, 16MB, NVIDIA GTX 950. GoPro Black footage.)

Reyfox wrote on 11/11/2022, 2:37 PM

Well, you haven't spent money instead using pirated copies over the years. I guess your "full access" to Adobe is the same thing. Maybe it's all those "internet" versions that have corrupted your "latest and greatest version" computer running with hardware that is 7 year old, especially the budget tier graphics card that doesn't meet the minimum specs required to run Vegas. I would not expect it to work.

Maybe you will have better luck with your full Adobe Suite.....

Last changed by Reyfox on 11/11/2022, 2:38 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

Newbie😁

Vegas Pro 22 (VP18-21 also installed)

Win 11 Pro always updated

AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16 cores / 32 threads

32GB DDR4 3200

Sapphire RX6700XT 12GB Driver: 22.5.1, testing 24.7.1

Gigabyte X570 Elite Motherboard

walter-i. wrote on 11/12/2022, 2:47 AM

Well, you haven't spent money instead using pirated copies over the years. I guess your "full access" to Adobe is the same thing. Maybe it's all those "internet" versions that have corrupted your "latest and greatest version" computer running with hardware that is 7 year old, especially the budget tier graphics card that doesn't meet the minimum specs required to run Vegas. I would not expect it to work.

+1

PaVink wrote on 11/12/2022, 3:05 AM

Just for the record: I have a full license for the Adobe suite. It is my love and sympathy for Vegas that kept me here and I would have bought a license instantly - if it just worked for more than 20 minutes. And it doesn't.

Same Vegas problem has been bothering other people for a long time - so all your expert advice is meaningless. But heh, you profiled yourself on the Forum and that is all that counts.

walter-i. wrote on 11/12/2022, 3:16 AM

Same Vegas problem has been bothering other people for a long time - so all your expert advice is meaningless.

@PaVink
They may be the same symptomss - the only way to find out if it's the same problem is to give your exact computer specs, settings and the media files you use - but there in a separate thread if possible so things don't get mixed up.
https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/important-information-required-to-help-you--110457/

We also help testers of the software, but have an - understandable - problem with convinced pirate users.

vkmast wrote on 11/12/2022, 3:28 AM

As Walter-i says. Note also this comment from one of the admins: "We do not support pirated versions of VEGAS on this forum."

PaVink wrote on 11/13/2022, 5:07 PM

As Walter-i says. Note also this comment from one of the admins: "We do not support pirated versions of VEGAS on this forum."

I fully appreciate that - and indeed you shouldn't.

As I wrote, I want nothing more than to 'get clean' and buy a license now that I have money to do so. And I am 'complaining' about the v20 trial version (only) - not about any of the previous versions (I would not dare to).

Like the OP of this thread, I just mentioned that I have had the same 'not responsive' issue with the v20 (trial) as with any other previous version. Despite trying all the usual things mentioned in the Forum and despite systematically toggling on or off just about any setting (I've kept a long list of everything I tried). I won't be buying my license if the program does not work for me, and there is clearly something 'structural' going on that I cannot expect to be fixed in the next release (major or minor).

I'll keep up with the Forum for a bit more until my Trial expires, but then that is it. And that is frustrating because my sympathy is with Vegas, and not with that other editor of that other company!

Sging2 wrote on 11/13/2022, 5:37 PM

I took the plunge and went for the subscription service after purchasing most versions since around version 10 I think. I just upgraded from Version 19 build 643 and after the normal tweaks it was amazing hardly ever crashing and so smooth with no lag best version, I had but there were a few things in the subscription that were worth the changeover.

I started using version 20 today for the first time and what a mistake, I get the "Not Responding" several times in one evening of editing, 2–3-time and hour. But what I noticed first with this version is the pausing on clicks, basically lagging with most actions, not all the time but a lot. Click a project folder and its 2-3 seconds before it responds, click a tab the same, drag a file to the timeline, it's a few seconds before it does it and opening the color grading is a lot slower than version 19 and something I have never seen on any version before is the scrub and the lagging preview is back.

I am considering getting a refund on the subscription and going back to 19 if I can't find a fix for this as this is the worst performing one I have seen for a while. I'll try tweaking the settings and turning off the GPU but why should we have to do all this, it should work out of the box so to speak. I may try a wipe of my PC as well and do all fresh installs maybe.

Windows 11 ~ 32 GB Ram~ CPU Intel i9 12900K ~ GPU RTX 3070

Former user wrote on 11/13/2022, 7:14 PM

I'll keep up with the Forum for a bit more until my Trial expires, but then that is it. And that is frustrating because my sympathy is with Vegas, and not with that other editor of that other company!

@PaVink @Sging2 It would be in Vegas's interest to allow a trial for each build If they finally get it working well for everyone instead of just a few. VP19b643 and VP20 have had such bad press, . Btw the few who it's working well for claim it's the most stable version ever. What would be interesting is if a comparison is made between 2 very similar systems so in @Sging2 's case an Intel 12 series Intel CPU and RTX30 series GPU 32GB ram Win11, what's the difference between the system that is the most stable ever and the one that keeps crashing.

Roger Bansemer wrote on 11/17/2022, 8:00 AM

Vegas 20 just seems to worse the more I use it. In addition to dealing with the "Not Responding" thing at least 3 times an hour, Vegas just becomes sluggish. I go to move, shorten, or lengthen an event and it hesitates. I try and lasso a group of clips and I have to do it several times before it takes. I click "save as" and it could be 4 or 5 seconds before it comes up. Anyone else having these issues? I have to say, this doesn't happen all the time but it happens often enough to make editing unpleasant. Of all the programs I have on my computer Vegas is the one I use most often and the only one that has so many issues.

RogerS wrote on 11/17/2022, 8:06 AM

I disabled the file drop feature which seemed to help somewhat. As far as sluggishness, what's the media in use?

Custom PC (2022) Intel i5-13600K with UHD 770 iGPU with latest driver, MSI z690 Tomahawk motherboard, 64GB Corsair DDR5 5200 ram, NVIDIA 2080 Super (8GB) with latest studio driver, 2TB Hynix P41 SSD and 2TB Samsung 980 Pro cache drive, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit

ASUS Zenbook Intel i9-13900H with Intel graphics iGPU with latest ASUS driver, NVIDIA 4060 (8GB) with latest studio driver, 48GB system ram, Windows 11 Home, 1TB Samsung SSD.

VEGAS Pro 21.208
VEGAS Pro 22.122

Try the
VEGAS 4K "sample project" benchmark (works with VP 16+): https://forms.gle/ypyrrbUghEiaf2aC7
VEGAS Pro 20 "Ad" benchmark (works with VP 20+): https://forms.gle/eErJTR87K2bbJc4Q7

Roger Bansemer wrote on 11/17/2022, 8:27 AM

I'm editing mp4 files. In this particular video sample I'm uploading I only have one video track so it's not bloated with lots of stuff going on. You can see how just trying to shorten or lengthen a clip lags. It's horrible.

RogerS wrote on 11/17/2022, 8:33 AM

Can you clarify what is in the MP4 container? It makes a big difference. MediaInfo is the clearest way to do this.
https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/faq-how-to-post-mediainfo-and-vegas-pro-file-properties--104561/

Custom PC (2022) Intel i5-13600K with UHD 770 iGPU with latest driver, MSI z690 Tomahawk motherboard, 64GB Corsair DDR5 5200 ram, NVIDIA 2080 Super (8GB) with latest studio driver, 2TB Hynix P41 SSD and 2TB Samsung 980 Pro cache drive, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit

ASUS Zenbook Intel i9-13900H with Intel graphics iGPU with latest ASUS driver, NVIDIA 4060 (8GB) with latest studio driver, 48GB system ram, Windows 11 Home, 1TB Samsung SSD.

VEGAS Pro 21.208
VEGAS Pro 22.122

Try the
VEGAS 4K "sample project" benchmark (works with VP 16+): https://forms.gle/ypyrrbUghEiaf2aC7
VEGAS Pro 20 "Ad" benchmark (works with VP 20+): https://forms.gle/eErJTR87K2bbJc4Q7

RogerS wrote on 11/17/2022, 8:44 AM

If that's a bother feel free to also upload a few second clip via a file sharing service of anything with the same camera and settings (cat, wall, doesn't matter) and I'm happy to test it here and provide Mediainfo.

VEGAS Pro 21.208
VEGAS Pro 22.122

Try the

Roger Bansemer wrote on 11/17/2022, 9:00 AM

I'm not sure what or how to clarify what is in the container. All I can tell you is that I'm using the same cameras as I did several years ago and didn't have the problem with Vegas17 which leads me to believe it's not my cameras or my computer. I hate to complain but spending hours a day editing with these sort of things starts to wear on me.

With this particular project I'm working on, all is OK then in a few minutes these lags begin. I shut down Vegas 20, start it again and it's fine but only for a few minutes and then lag time again...

RogerS wrote on 11/17/2022, 9:03 AM

Read the link. Or upload the file. The rest won't get you any closer to a solution.

VEGAS Pro 21.208
VEGAS Pro 22.122

Try the

Sging2 wrote on 11/17/2022, 12:40 PM

Vegas 20 just seems to worse the more I use it. In addition to dealing with the "Not Responding" thing at least 3 times an hour, Vegas just becomes sluggish. I go to move, shorten, or lengthen an event and it hesitates. I try and lasso a group of clips and I have to do it several times before it takes. I click "save as" and it could be 4 or 5 seconds before it comes up. Anyone else having these issues? I have to say, this doesn't happen all the time but it happens often enough to make editing unpleasant. Of all the programs I have on my computer Vegas is the one I use most often and the only one that has so many issues.

This is exactly 100% what I am experiencing, everything takes a second or two to respond on every action, even when its playing on the timeline, the scrub bar freezes and catches up when I press pause. I have stopped or at least cut down the crashing and Not Responding by enabling the Legacy AVC and HEVC in preferences if that helps anyone. Even though I am on subscription, I have gone back to Vegas 19 which works perfectly so it can't be anything to do with my PC or set up, which is quite a powerful one, in my books 19 has been the most stable one I have used.

Windows 11 ~ 32 GB Ram~ CPU Intel i9 12900K ~ GPU RTX 3070

Reyfox wrote on 11/17/2022, 1:51 PM

@Sging2 curious as to if you are monitoring your computer resources while editing. I keep task manager open to see what is happening.

Newbie😁

Vegas Pro 22 (VP18-21 also installed)

Win 11 Pro always updated

AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16 cores / 32 threads

32GB DDR4 3200

Sapphire RX6700XT 12GB Driver: 22.5.1, testing 24.7.1

Gigabyte X570 Elite Motherboard

walter-i. wrote on 11/17/2022, 2:35 PM

@Roger Bansemer @Sging2
You are right - this is not the way to work, but all the explanations are not of much use. 
What we need to make a serious assessment is more information about the mediafiles.
As RogerS said:
MediaInfo is the clearest way to do this.
https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/faq-how-to-post-mediainfo-and-vegas-pro-file-properties--104561/
Or upload a piece of a media file that is causing problems to Dropbox or some other file sharing and post the link in here.

Former user wrote on 11/17/2022, 9:23 PM

Vegas 20 just seems to worse the more I use it. In addition to dealing with the "Not Responding" thing at least 3 times an hour, Vegas just becomes sluggish. I go to move, shorten, or lengthen an event and it hesitates. I try and lasso a group of clips and I have to do it several times before it takes. I click "save as" and it could be 4 or 5 seconds before it comes up.

@Roger Bansemer This could be a memory leak, when I was using VP19b643 it could use up to 99% ram, however it brought my system to it's knees, everything was laggy, not just Vegas and it took possibly 10-20 seconds for system to get it's ram back after killing Vegas, but 99% ram usage is pretty extreme, maybe you had a memory leak but it hadn't yet become that bad. Keep an eye out on taskmanger

RogerS wrote on 11/18/2022, 2:06 AM

If you don't want to do troubleshooting yourself, file a support ticket and hope for the best? Maybe use 17 in the meanwhile if it works. Or try enabling legacy AVC decoding in preferences/ file io and see if it helps.

VEGAS Pro 21.208
VEGAS Pro 22.122

Try the

Roger Bansemer wrote on 11/18/2022, 8:43 AM

I don't see any advantage to uploading a piece of media because it's exactly the same media I've been using all along. Here's the issue: Sometimes it works fine with no problems. Other times opening the same project it lags. So I very well could be faulting Vegas where as it's something else. For example I might go to lunch and leave the project open and come back and it runs fine, then after a few minutes it might lag or not. It's baffling. I have 64 megs of ram. Could I have a setting wrong?

Here's another example of what I mean in the video. You can see how the video marker does not follow along with the video as it runs. When it decides to lag, it's every single thing in Vegas that lags, even doing a save as takes a number of seconds for it to appear.

Reyfox wrote on 11/18/2022, 9:13 AM

@Roger Bansemer the advantage of sharing the media is to see if others can replicate the same problem that you are having. Seeing if it's a global situation where others experience it using your media, or a local (you) problem. If it's everyone having the same problem as you, then hopefully, the Vegas programmers will get involved.

If it's a "you" problem and not others, then settings (which there are many) can be checked and compared.

RogerS wrote on 11/18/2022, 6:01 PM

What Reyfox said.

It's unclear if you tried the setting change I mentioned (try everything on the file io tab related to decoding and see if it helps). Beyond that there's probably no setting to change this behavior which brings us back to media.

VEGAS Pro 21.208
VEGAS Pro 22.122

Try the