[Release] VEGAS Pro 15 – Inspiration Meets Productivity

Comments

set wrote on 9/23/2017, 5:48 PM

Unfortunately iPhone7 HEVC is blank.

There's slight difference of both files.

Setiawan Kartawidjaja
Bandung, West Java, Indonesia (UTC+7 Time Area)

Personal FB | Personal IG | Personal YT Channel
Chungs Video FB | Chungs Video IG | Chungs Video YT Channel
Personal Portfolios YouTube Playlist
Pond5 page: My Stock Footage of Bandung city

System 5-2021:
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Video Card1: Intel UHD Graphics 630 (Driver 31.0.101.2127 (Feb 1 2024 Release date))
Video Card2: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GDDR6 (Driver Version 551.23 Studio Driver (Jan 24 2024 Release Date))
RAM: 32.0 GB
Drive OS: SSD 240GB
Drive Working: NVMe 1TB
Drive Storage: 4TB+2TB

System 2-2018:
ASUS ROG Strix Hero II GL504GM Gaming Laptop
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 8750H CPU @2.20GHz 2.21 GHz
Video Card 1: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630 (Driver 31.0.101.2111)
Video Card 2: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5 VRAM (Driver Version 537.58)
RAM: 16GB
Storage: M.2 NVMe PCIe 256GB SSD & 2.5" 5400rpm 1TB SSHD

* I don't work for VEGAS Creative Software Team. I'm just Voluntary Moderator in this forum.

LongIslander wrote on 9/23/2017, 5:52 PM

Odd beacause the iphone 8 came up blank on my VP15 as well. Going to have to retry it again.

NickHope wrote on 9/23/2017, 8:39 PM

Same result here as set. The iPhone 7 HEVC sample gives blank video. The iPhone 8 4k 60p sample reads but is upside down. VP14 build 270 and VP15 build 177.

LongIslander wrote on 9/24/2017, 12:47 AM

Well Ill be damed! That iphone 8 clip does work. But here is another raw 4k60fps file from the 8 that once again comes up black. Weird how it worked 1 clip and the other is black. Same exact settings nothing changed?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x4zahkezngubn4o/Video%20Sep%2024%2C%2003%2023%2011.mov?dl=0

(for those getting link corrupt just copy/paste link as plain text)

JohnnyRoy wrote on 9/24/2017, 8:12 AM

Currently upside down, but a good thing the clip still can be read.

Rotation is a Windows issue that has been around for years. The EXIF data in images has rotation information in it that the Mac honors but Windows ignores. So depending on which way I hold my iPhone, the images may be upside-down on Windows but they are always rightsize-up on my Mac because it respects this information and compensates for it. I assume video has the same metadata which Windows again ignores but the Mac uses to determine how you were holding the camera and displays it the correct way.

I was able to read both the iPhone 7 and iPhone 8 footage on my Mac with a program called EditReady which I use to rewrap my old HDV footage to make it Mac compatible (i.e., M2T -> MOV). I assume it doesn't rely on QuickTime and they have their own decoders. I was able to re-encode it as H.264 so that my QuickTime based programs could play it.

~jr

melinda-brasch wrote on 9/24/2017, 3:15 PM

Hi MathiasH, I just ordered the Vegas Pro 15 upgrade after reading your glowing report. When I put in the http: address they said to download my product, it switched me to another website that I did not find where I should look for my download. When I finally found a place to have a question - I got back a note that I'd hear from them within 2 days. Any chance you can help me find my downloads? Thanks

LongIslander wrote on 9/24/2017, 4:12 PM

Currently upside down, but a good thing the clip still can be read.

Rotation is a Windows issue that has been around for years. The EXIF data in images has rotation information in it that the Mac honors but Windows ignores. So depending on which way I hold my iPhone, the images may be upside-down on Windows but they are always rightsize-up on my Mac because it respects this information and compensates for it. I assume video has the same metadata which Windows again ignores but the Mac uses to determine how you were holding the camera and displays it the correct way.

I was able to read both the iPhone 7 and iPhone 8 footage on my Mac with a program called EditReady which I use to rewrap my old HDV footage to make it Mac compatible (i.e., M2T -> MOV). I assume it doesn't rely on QuickTime and they have their own decoders. I was able to re-encode it as H.264 so that my QuickTime based programs could play it.

~jr

The real question is why are you commenting that your mac can read the files on a sony vegas forum? ; ). Additionaly windows does orientate the video correctly. Vegas does not.

JohnnyRoy wrote on 9/24/2017, 6:14 PM

The real question is why are you commenting that your mac can read the files on a sony vegas forum? ; ). Additionaly windows does orientate the video correctly. Vegas does not.

Just another datapoint. You are expecting Vegas to read iPhone formats that were just introduced only days ago that most Macs can't read yet. I know it doesn't help your situation but it does help put it in perspective.

BTW, I run Vegas Pro on my Mac using VMware Fusion ;-)

~jr

NickHope wrote on 9/24/2017, 9:19 PM

Hi MathiasH, I just ordered the Vegas Pro 15 upgrade after reading your glowing report. When I put in the http: address they said to download my product, it switched me to another website that I did not find where I should look for my download. When I finally found a place to have a question - I got back a note that I'd hear from them within 2 days. Any chance you can help me find my downloads? Thanks

https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/faq-where-can-i-download-vegas-pro-and-other-vegas-software--104782/

NickHope wrote on 9/28/2017, 4:29 AM

Well Ill be damed! That iphone 8 clip does work. But here is another raw 4k60fps file from the 8 that once again comes up black. Weird how it worked 1 clip and the other is black. Same exact settings nothing changed?

@LongIslander The one that reads as black is reported by MediaInfo as constant frame rate mode (60.000fps). The one that reads correctly, but upside down, is reported as variable frame rate mode:

I'm not an iPhone user but I doubt you've got any control over that. We also can't be sure exactly how MediaInfo is deciding what's variable frame rate and what isn't. I've heard it can be fussy about that, and claim something is variable when in fact it's just one frame that's off.

Does Filmic Pro work on the iPhone 8? It might be worth trying as it's said to produce a constant frame rate, and might tweak other factors that stop footage being read correctly by Vegas. Having said that, I'm a bit sceptical about how much camera apps can adjust certain aspects of a phone's underlying tech. I've never found an Android app that can guarantee constant frame rate.

animagic wrote on 9/29/2017, 3:42 PM

Is there any grace period for those who recently upgraded to version 14? I believe I bought the beginning of July 2017.

I second that question. A lot of software offers a 60 grandfather/grace period for upgrades. Will there be anything like that forthcoming? :)

It would be nice to have at least an answer from Magix one way or the other. There must be a number of users with the same question?

LongIslander wrote on 9/29/2017, 9:22 PM

Will we see XAVC hardware encoding added to VP15 in the future?

gerdagerd wrote on 10/10/2017, 6:40 AM

I would love the ability to start vegas temporarily without GPU acceleration, something like a parameter in the shortcut. "-nogpu" or similar.

I find myself having to turn GPU off for some projects , because they wont start up with it enabled.

Ossyni wrote on 10/11/2017, 4:04 PM

Ohhh please NO !

THE new TIMELINE design unusable
uncomfortable, too dense! 50% useless line !

WHY ? ? ?

Very narrow track.
The original (v14) is really logical. The v15 NO !
There are too many unnecessary stripes and can not be used.
Very annoying!
Please restore the original v14 timeline design !

I've been using vegas for 10 years, but I'm just disappointed.

gary-rebholz wrote on 10/11/2017, 4:35 PM

@Ossyni,

THE new TIMELINE design unusable

I guess you're talking about the new event headers. If you don't like them, just turn them off. Update 1 gives you that option.

BukaTV wrote on 10/12/2017, 10:57 AM
  • A new MAGIX AVC/AAC codec significantly accelerates encoding on machines that utilize Intel® Quick Sync Video (QSV) technology

I am going to name my first child after you, I mean it! lol

LongIslander wrote on 10/15/2017, 2:45 AM

Still same issue in the latest build with iPhone 8 HEVC files. Some work and others just show up black. Both of the videos below were shot on the same exact settings below.

4K 60FPS HEVC.

1. Shot of Dark Corner of Room (vegas shows file as completely black)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l2e2rio2y20vr7r/Video%20Oct%2015,%2003%2019%2036.mov?dl=0

2. Shot at ceiling fan (bright light)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lk8xoclmnxv7z27/Video%20Oct%2015,%2003%2019%2046.mov?dl=0

I am noticing a trend that the footage I take in darker areas shows up as completely black in Vegas as opposed to bright/daylight clips work accordingly.

gerdagerd wrote on 10/29/2017, 2:51 AM

Sadly, VEGAS15 still crashes because RAM runs out, whenever I load a couple of HEVC Videos from my Samsung NX1/NX500, be it UHD, 4k or even just 1440p. This problem has been going on since the first version of vegas 14 was released and can not even be remedied by disabling the new decoder in "internal" settings. PLEASE FIX. Unusable with HEVC footage from samsung cameras at least.

NickHope wrote on 11/30/2017, 9:09 AM

@LongIslander Your iPhone HEVC issues appear to be fixed in VP15 update 2 (build 261). I tested your files and they look OK now.

JR42 wrote on 1/9/2018, 4:08 PM

Does the Nvidia support mean that AMD hardware support is gone?

gary-rebholz wrote on 1/10/2018, 8:55 AM

Does the Nvidia support mean that AMD hardware support is gone?

No. AMD support has not changed, so what has been there is still there. Additionally, we are working closely with AMD to update our support for their cards similar to what we've done with Nvidia. We're not there yet, but we're making progress.

megabit wrote on 1/10/2018, 9:13 AM

Excuse me Gary - I'm sure you at Magix are doing your best, but nevertheless may I ask you this question: what is it that "you've done with nVidia"? My GTX1080 card is still hardly used (nor for timeline playback acceleration, nor for rendering)... Thanks

Piotr

AMD TR 2990WX CPU | MSI X399 CARBON AC | 64GB RAM@XMP2933  | 2x RTX 2080Ti GPU | 4x 3TB WD Black RAID0 media drive | 3x 1TB NVMe RAID0 cache drive | SSD SATA system drive | AX1600i PSU | Decklink 12G Extreme | Samsung UHD reference monitor (calibrated)

gary-rebholz wrote on 1/10/2018, 9:36 AM

My GTX1080 card is still hardly used (nor for timeline playback acceleration, nor for rendering)

The most noticeable benefit for most users will be when rendering to the MAGIX AVC/AAC MP4 codec where people are reporting render speeds up to twice as fast as rendering with CPU only.

megabit wrote on 1/10/2018, 9:55 AM

Ach, OK - the AVC/AAC renderer has indeed benefited, I hear. Unfortunately I don't use it - and in other tasks, running Vegas with my nVidia turned off (CPU only) is still much quicker and less crash-prone...

Piotr

AMD TR 2990WX CPU | MSI X399 CARBON AC | 64GB RAM@XMP2933  | 2x RTX 2080Ti GPU | 4x 3TB WD Black RAID0 media drive | 3x 1TB NVMe RAID0 cache drive | SSD SATA system drive | AX1600i PSU | Decklink 12G Extreme | Samsung UHD reference monitor (calibrated)