[Release] VEGAS Pro 15 – Inspiration Meets Productivity

Comments

Dexcon wrote on 9/6/2017, 7:01 AM

Having just returned from overseas the other day, I downloaded the VP15 trial yesterday. I liked what I saw and played around with, so I purchased it today. VP15 is already making my workflows easier. The only downside is the lack of AC3 Pro.

Nevertheless, many thanks Gary, the VP15 developers and MAGIX.

Cheers

Conrad

Cameras: Sony FDR-AX100E; GoPro Hero 11 Black Creator Edition

Installed: Vegas Pro 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 & 21, HitFilm Pro 2021.3, DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.5, BCC 2023.5, Mocha Pro 2023, Ignite Pro, NBFX TotalFX 7, Neat NR, DVD Architect 6.0, MAGIX Travel Maps, Sound Forge Pro 16, SpectraLayers Pro 11, iZotope RX10 Advanced and many other iZ plugins, Vegasaur 4.0

Windows 11

Dell Alienware Aurora 11

10th Gen Intel i9 10900KF - 10 cores (20 threads) - 3.7 to 5.3 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8GB GDDR6 - liquid cooled

64GB RAM - Dual Channel HyperX FURY DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz

C drive: 2TB Samsung 990 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 PCIe SSD

D: drive: 4TB Samsung 870 SATA SSD (used for media for editing current projects)

E: drive: 2TB Samsung 870 SATA SSD

F: drive: 6TB WD 7200 rpm Black HDD 3.5"

Dell Ultrasharp 32" 4K Color Calibrated Monitor

cinefilm wrote on 9/10/2017, 9:25 PM

Despite any negative feedback, there's always room for improvement but...

I just tested Vegas Pro 15 and I'd like to say I LOVE IT. Props to the Magix team, Amazing work.

Protools has just been eliminated in the workflow, so has premiere and audition.

Sound: I setup a surround mix with a full HD video track, Ambience, SFX, Music, Dialog. I applied multiple effects and automation. Amazing performance! No dropouts, stutters, glitches, all gone.

Video: I'm running a Quadro K5200 and I always protested for GPU support, the playback is amazingly smooth

For me, just those two features are worth upgrading for! All the new UI improvements, freeze frames, paste attributes, crop and countless others are just an icing on the cake.

Thanks very much to the Magix team for reviving and improving Vegas Pro, you made my work faster and my day better. No drama intended I'm honestly super happy. Heading over to purchase now!

alex-bar wrote on 9/11/2017, 2:13 AM

Why did you remove the Media Manager? I see no further development of Vegas without it! Media manager is a great help for using media libraries. Reason for refusing Media Manager in Vegas Pro 15?

Почему вы убрали Media Manager ? Я без него не вижу дальнейшего развития Vegas !  Media Manager отличный помошник для использования медиа библиотек. Назовите причину отказа от Media Manager в Vegas PRO 15?

alex-bar wrote on 9/12/2017, 2:42 AM

Looks like they are not in a hurry with the answers. I solved this problem myself. It is necessary in the "Preferences" ->"Internal" to change from FALSE to TRUE. The inclusion tab of the Media Manager appears in the "View".

Good luck!

Похоже тут не спешат с ответами. Сам решил данную проблему. Нужно в настройках поменять с  FALSE to TRUE.  Появится закладка включения Media Manager в "View".

Всем удачи!

qualle wrote on 9/13/2017, 7:25 AM

While there seem to be some minor bugs in version 15 build 177, I can report this new version overall runs really stable from scratch on my stationary PC (Nvidia GTX770) as well as my laptop (Intel HD graphics 520). The vastly improved AVC/AAC rendering speed seems to work flawlessly so far and has proven extremely helpful to me. Looks like Vegas has steered onto the right track again - please keep moving that way!

set wrote on 9/13/2017, 8:13 AM

While there seem to be some minor bugs in version 15 build 177, I can report this new version overall runs really stable from scratch on my stationary PC (Nvidia GTX770) as well as my laptop (Intel HD graphics 520). The vastly improved AVC/AAC rendering speed seems to work flawlessly so far and has proven extremely helpful to me. Looks like Vegas has steered onto the right track again - please keep moving that way!

Glad to hear qualle! Thanks for sharing your experience! 😉🍻

Setiawan Kartawidjaja
Bandung, West Java, Indonesia (UTC+7 Time Area)

Personal FB | Personal IG | Personal YT Channel
Chungs Video FB | Chungs Video IG | Chungs Video YT Channel
Personal Portfolios YouTube Playlist
Pond5 page: My Stock Footage of Bandung city

System 5-2021:
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Video Card1: Intel UHD Graphics 630 (Driver 31.0.101.2127 (Feb 1 2024 Release date))
Video Card2: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GDDR6 (Driver Version 551.23 Studio Driver (Jan 24 2024 Release Date))
RAM: 32.0 GB
Drive OS: SSD 240GB
Drive Working: NVMe 1TB
Drive Storage: 4TB+2TB

System 2-2018:
ASUS ROG Strix Hero II GL504GM Gaming Laptop
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 8750H CPU @2.20GHz 2.21 GHz
Video Card 1: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630 (Driver 31.0.101.2111)
Video Card 2: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5 VRAM (Driver Version 537.58)
RAM: 16GB
Storage: M.2 NVMe PCIe 256GB SSD & 2.5" 5400rpm 1TB SSHD

* I don't work for VEGAS Creative Software Team. I'm just Voluntary Moderator in this forum.

dpaterson wrote on 9/15/2017, 3:26 AM

This is absolutely shameful and I'm almost sure that there must be some or the other legal remedy!!!

So Vegas Pro 15 has been released and with it around 50 known bugs in Vegas Pro 14 have been fixed in Vegas Pro 15. Essentially then: these 50 or so known bugs still exist in Vegas Pro 14 which I purchased a very few months ago.(not to mention the fact that I had to purchase Vegas Pro 13 as well for no other reason than to restore Dolby Digital Pro encoder functionality). Basically then what MAGIX is saying: "well: we're aware of the 50 or so bugs in Vegas Pro 14 but if you want them fixed then you have to upgrade to Vegas Pro 15 (at a cost of course)". Nah. Something has to be done about this!!! So following this logic: bugs discovered in Vegas Pro 15 (and trust me there will be many) will be fixed in Vegas Pro 16 (upgrade price applicable of course). And, of course, many were hoping that the Dolby Digital Pro encoder would be included in a new release but not so obviously. As per my many other posts on this particular topic: even if it were a licence issue how much more could it cost to include this encoder (I've even offered to pay seperately for it to no avail) (although one could argue that I've indeed paid seperately for it by purchasing Vegas Pro 13). Nah. Never in my many years has a company / software left such a "bad taste"!!! You have taken one of the finest pieces of software on the market and condemned it.

Robert W wrote on 9/15/2017, 4:42 AM

This is absolutely shameful and I'm almost sure that there must be some or the other legal remedy!!!

So Vegas Pro 15 has been released and with it around 50 known bugs in Vegas Pro 14 have been fixed in Vegas Pro 15. Essentially then: these 50 or so known bugs still exist in Vegas Pro 14 which I purchased a very few months ago.(not to mention the fact that I had to purchase Vegas Pro 13 as well for no other reason than to restore Dolby Digital Pro encoder functionality). Basically then what MAGIX is saying: "well: we're aware of the 50 or so bugs in Vegas Pro 14 but if you want them fixed then you have to upgrade to Vegas Pro 15 (at a cost of course)". Nah. Something has to be done about this!!! So following this logic: bugs discovered in Vegas Pro 15 (and trust me there will be many) will be fixed in Vegas Pro 16 (upgrade price applicable of course). And, of course, many were hoping that the Dolby Digital Pro encoder would be included in a new release but not so obviously. As per my many other posts on this particular topic: even if it were a licence issue how much more could it cost to include this encoder (I've even offered to pay seperately for it to no avail) (although one could argue that I've indeed paid seperately for it by purchasing Vegas Pro 13). Nah. Never in my many years has a company / software left such a "bad taste"!!! You have taken one of the finest pieces of software on the market and condemned it.

You have described the basic problem I have with the development cycle of Vegas, and I think the reason most of us get fed up with the software. There will always be bugs in software, but the aim should generally be that revisions of a major release should fix the bugs, and new major releases should introduce new features. The list of bugs above are pretty much all things that should have worked out of the box with Vegas 14. For example, I would not understand why I would be asked to pay for the upgrade to get Elastique working in my audio properties. However, I think the bug list may be a little misleading, as it mentions bugs being addressed in the Magix codec and talking about issues with HEVC encoding CBR, when as far as I am aware these features were not introduced until Vegas 15. So my suspicion is that these are bugs that were present during development and resolved prior to release, and are not actually all bugs that were present in the last build of Vegas 14. Some of things seems pretty basic. I am sure we would have known about it on here if any build of Vegas 14 had basic problems with the mute button on the master audio bus.

They have not been forthcoming on why the Dolby Digital Pro codec was excluded from the current release. It is very unfortunate because really anyone wanting to use AC3 needs to use that codec. The Dolby Digital Studio codec does not have the configuration options for proper releases. I suspect it is something that will not return in the near future, which I suppose means rendering out the audio to mapped wavs and encoding them in Dolby's standalone encoder. I suppose that does open the door to using Atmos, although I am not sure what the actual workflow from Vegas would be to use that.

NickHope wrote on 9/17/2017, 6:51 AM

@dpaterson Robert W, is right; a couple of the "bug fixes" apply to features that did not even exist in VP14 and shouldn't be listed. Others are duplicates (e.g. The 3 "iPhone" bugs are effectively the same issue). Others are trivial (e.g. Plug-In Manager missing vertical separator). Others could be argued to be new features, such as native support for formats that have never previously been supported in Vegas. And others apply to niche situations that may very well never affect you. I do sympathize with the wish for a further bug-fix release of VP14, but it's not as bad as it looks.

alex-bar wrote on 9/18/2017, 6:47 AM

AC3 PRO can be turned on if you put a little effort ........

AC3 PRO можно включить, если приложить немного усилий....

Не понятно почему не модернизируются, а попросту убираются  такие нужные сегменты как Media Manager и AC3 PRO !? Я поклонник Vegas с 2003 года - с каждым годом я больше любил Vegas, но похоже что все делается для того чтобы я вернулся на версии Vegas 13 ...

dpaterson wrote on 9/19/2017, 8:57 AM

Well. That's fantastic. Any chance you could share with the rest of us mere mortals??? I may even be tempted to pay the fee being extorted by MAGIX for the upgrade from VP14 if it works and doesn't involve any hacks other than registry edits.

alexander-nNevis wrote on 9/21/2017, 2:19 PM

Looks like they are not in a hurry with the answers. I solved this problem myself. It is necessary in the "Preferences" ->"Internal" to change from FALSE to TRUE. The inclusion tab of the Media Manager appears in the "View".

Good luck!

Похоже тут не спешат с ответами. Сам решил данную проблему. Нужно в настройках поменять с  FALSE to TRUE.  Появится закладка включения Media Manager в "View".

Всем удачи!

Уважаемый, а не подскажете, как сделать эту самую закладку "Preferences" ->"Internal", видимой?

У меня в настройках ее нет :(

I don't see tab "Internal" in "Preferences"

How to make it visible?

Camcoders: Panasonic Lumix-DC-GH5, Sony DSC-RX10M4, Sony FDR-X3000

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 2004, Intel Core i9 10920X, ASUSTeK "X299 PRIME EDITION 30" (SOCKET 2066), 64 Gb DDR4-3200 G.Skill RAM, 200GB INTEL SSD (System), 800 Gb INTEL SSD for NLE, Same HDD for data, Creative Sound Blaster AE-9, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080Ti.

alex-bar wrote on 9/21/2017, 2:55 PM

On the keyboard holding the Shift key, press "Preferences", we get the "Internal" tab.

On the problem with AC3 ... I copied the folder "ac3plug" from the previous Vegas to C: \ Program Files \ VEGAS \ VEGAS Pro 15.0 \ FileIO Plug-Ins and wrote the line ac3plug = FileIO Plug-in in the file Release-x64.fio2007-config. Ins \ ac3plug \ ac3plug.dll - AC3 PRO appeared as it was in previous versions. The file is rendered but Vegas reports an error. The file is working.

На клавиатуре удерживая кнопку Shift нажимаем "Preferences", получаем закладку "Internal".

По проблеме с AC3 ... я скопировал из предыдущего Vegas папку "ac3plug" в C:\Program Files\VEGAS\VEGAS Pro 15.0\FileIO Plug-Ins  и прописал в файле Release-x64.fio2007-config  строку ac3plug=FileIO Plug-Ins\ac3plug\ac3plug.dll - появился AC3 PRO как было и в прежних версиях. Файл просчитывается но Vegas сообщает об ошибке. Файл получается рабочим.

topcatonyx wrote on 9/21/2017, 5:28 PM

None of my presets (for pan/crop or various effects) got transferred from my Vegas 14 to 15. In the past all were automatically transferred. I found that Vegasaur worked very well - I first exported from 14 then imported to 15. Very easy, fast and pain free.

NickHope wrote on 9/21/2017, 11:05 PM
On the problem with AC3 ... I copied the folder "ac3plug" from the previous Vegas to C: \ Program Files \ VEGAS \ VEGAS Pro 15.0 \ FileIO Plug-Ins and wrote the line ac3plug = FileIO Plug-in in the file Release-x64.fio2007-config. Ins \ ac3plug \ ac3plug.dll - AC3 PRO appeared as it was in previous versions. The file is rendered but Vegas reports an error. The file is working.

Thanks for this. It's more elegant than the previous workaround others were using. I wrote a step-by-step guide of your method here: https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/ac3-pro-render-missing-in-vp14--103633/#ca670361

LongIslander wrote on 9/22/2017, 1:11 PM

Notice that my iphone 7 video comes up blank when HEVC used : (.

set wrote on 9/22/2017, 5:20 PM

Any small iPhone7 samples you can share for us to try?

(alternate workflow: https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/faq-how-to-convert-mov-video-e-g-iphone-to-mp4-for-vegas-pro--106154/ )

Setiawan Kartawidjaja

System 5-2021:
Video Card1: Intel UHD Graphics 630 (Driver 31.0.101.2127 (Feb 1 2024 Release date))
Video Card2: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GDDR6 (Driver Version 551.23 Studio Driver (Jan 24 2024 Release Date))

System 2-2018:

* I don't work for VEGAS Creative Software Team. I'm just Voluntary Moderator in this forum.

LongIslander wrote on 9/22/2017, 6:23 PM

Edit: heres a sample

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0x22agxazl1n3qw/HEVCiphone7.MOV?dl=0

NickHope wrote on 9/23/2017, 12:41 AM

Any small iPhone7 samples you can share for us to try?

(alternate workflow: https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/faq-how-to-convert-mov-video-e-g-iphone-to-mp4-for-vegas-pro--106154/ )

A straight re-wrap doesn't help with this file as it gets read by mxhevcplug.dll whether it's in an MP4 or MOV container, and still comes up with blank video. It needs re-encoding or transcoding.

After a bit of experimentation I've come up with an ffmpeg command line that will re-encode the video stream to a new HEVC stream that VP14/15 will read, and is roughly the same size as the original. The quality should be almost indistinguishable since crf 18 is a low figure (lower = higher quality). The audio stream is untouched.

ffmpeg -i in.MOV -c:v libx265 -crf 18 -preset medium -c:a copy out.MOV

As a batch file to render all your clips in a batch this would be:

for %%a in ("*.MOV") do ffmpeg -i "%%a" -c:v libx265 -crf 18 -preset medium -c:a copy "%%~nafixed.MOV"

For usage, see the thread that set linked to above.

If playback isn't smooth or you get other problems you could transcode to all sorts of other formats besides HEVC, such as AVC by changing "libx265" to "libx264".

Another alternative might be to use an ffmpeg GUI like XMedia Recode.

I tried to open the original file in Sony Catalyst Browse with a view to transcoding to XAVC-I but it wouldn't open.

LongIslander wrote on 9/23/2017, 2:27 AM

Well hopefully we can have support for iphones new HEVC encoding without having to transcode first : (

JohnnyRoy wrote on 9/23/2017, 8:00 AM

Well hopefully we can have support for iphones new HEVC encoding without having to transcode first : (

You can't even read these on a Mac yet! This format is only supported in macOS High Sierra which hasn't shipped yet (not available until this Monday Sept 25th). This format is so new that it has only been generally available for 4 days!!! (since iOS 11 shipped on Sept 19th) so give MAGIX a chance to catch up. You can read about it here:

Using HEIF or HEVC media on Apple devices

~jr

LongIslander wrote on 9/23/2017, 11:34 AM

Well if windows media player, windows movie maker and google chrome can read it There’s no reason why a $600 video editing program shouldn’t! Lol. But yes ill give then time thanks.

Heres a raw file from iphone 8 4k 60fps. Hope it helps the devs!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rhpt12978rlfmfe/iphone84k60fps.MOV?dl=0

set wrote on 9/23/2017, 4:47 PM

Well if windows media player, windows movie maker and google chrome can read it There’s no reason why a $600 video editing program shouldn’t! Lol. But yes ill give then time thanks.

Heres a raw file from iphone 8 4k 60fps. Hope it helps the devs!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rhpt12978rlfmfe/iphone84k60fps.MOV?dl=0

Currently upside down, but a good thing the clip still can be read.

Thanks for sharing, I have forwarded to developers.

Setiawan Kartawidjaja

System 5-2021:

System 2-2018:

LongIslander wrote on 9/23/2017, 5:37 PM

As far as rotation goes thats an easy fix. Non issue if you ask me : ).

But my preview window remains completely black when i load the above file? Did you change anything in order to get it to work?

Dies the iphone 7 hevc work then to? https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/proxy/1ed04d39ac9f34821a02/?link=https%253A%252F%252Fwww.dropbox.com%252Fs%252F0x22agxazl1n3qw%252FHEVCiphone7.MOV%253Fdl%253D0