[Release] VEGAS Pro 15 – Inspiration Meets Productivity

VEGAS_CommunityManager wrote on 8/28/2017, 7:07 AM

Dear community,

Nearly a year has passed after we revived the VEGAS product line, and in that time, a lot has happened:

• new product pages
  • new community space
  • new VEGAS magazine
  • new social media channels
  • most importantly: a ton of updates for the VEGAS products

I want to take this opportunity to thank everyone who has worked tirelessly to give the VEGAS family "new life."

I want to highlight two teams which are the most essential for the software to thrive and evolve. The first, is our amazing development team. Thank you for fighting any and all challenges you have faced in the code jungle! The second team is a team without which, none of this would make any sense – the wonderful VEGAS users! Thank you all for staying with us and giving us great feedback and such clear direction! Your passion for this software is what keeps us constantly working to improve your favorite tool.

But enough rambling from my side. You probably wanna know, what exactly is new in VEGAS Pro 15.

Here it is – the list of new features

• A new MAGIX AVC/AAC codec significantly accelerates encoding on machines that utilize Intel® Quick Sync Video (QSV) technology
  • A new MAGIX AVC/AAC codec significantly accelerates encoding on machines equipped with modern NVIDIA graphics card GPU technology
  • The user can now select from the list of attributes of a copied timeline clip event to specify which attributes will be pasted into a target event
  • ACES 1.0 support enable users to work with the expanded color spaces and dynamic range of modern cameras.
  • More efficient handling of AVC files on the timeline through Intel QSV technology
  • Picture-in-picture OFX plug-in enables the user to perform size and position adjustments of video at any of the four effects levels (including track and event) through parameter adjustment controls and direct interaction with the Video Preview window
  • Crop OFX plug-in enables the user to quickly crop out portions of a video at any of the four effects levels (including track and event) through parameter adjustment controls and direct interaction with the Video Preview window
  • The user can specify which track header buttons and controls appear on tracks and set these (separate for audio and video tracks) as project defaults for all new tracks in the current and new projects. Controls that have been hidden can be accessed through a new "hamburger button" menu
  • LUT Filter OFX plug-in enables the user to apply LUTs to their project at any of the four supported FX levels (event, track, media, and video bus)
  • Redesigned timeline clip events now contain headers to hold important information and buttons and can be customized through the hamburger button/menu system.
  • The user can specify which controls appear in the transport area of both the Trimmer Window and the Video Preview window as project defaults for the current and new projects. Controls that have been hidden can be accessed through a new "hamburger button" menu
  • A simple "one-click" option creates a freeze frame on all selected events touched by the timeline cursor
  • Users can specify one of four options for the shading of the VEGAS Pro interface ranging from very bright to a dark interface
  • Users can define the amount (strength) of color they want shown in their buttons
  • Modern controls enable logical docking and undocking of windows and maximizing windows within a dock
  • A user-friendly and intuitive Render As dialog box makes it easy to understand and specify render options
  • The Share Online option now provides direct render-and-upload operations for YouTube, FaceBook, and Vimeo
  • Optimized default user layout to reduce visual clutter
  • Non-selected timeline clip events are now the same color as the corresponding track header while selected events are white. This (while directly opposite previous behavior) reduces visual "clutter" and the harsh appearance of events, particularly in large projects
  • New layout option enables user to switch back to the VEGAS Pro 14 default layout, including revealing all buttons in the hamburger menu system
  • The default Pan type has been changed to Constant Power which is the most logical and expected type
  • Audio notification alerts you when your render is complete for all format types

Furthermore, if you want to see some tutorials for VEGAS Pro 15, have a look at our tutorials on our brand new YouTube Channel.

Best Regards,

The VEGAS Pro 15 team

Edit: To give a little more perspective, here is a list of bugs which were fixed from VEGAS Pro 14 in VEGAS Pro 15. These are roughly 50 fixed bugs. We also fixed near 100 in the 7 VEGAS Pro 14 updates that we released.

• Fixed: Application hangs when importing 4K Lumia 950 footage
  • Fixed: Attempting to rename bus in Mixing console does not show edit box
  • Fixed: Some MP4 thumbnail frames show as green
  • Fixed: iPhone video does not import properly
  • Fixed: ProRes/MOV audio out of sync with embedded video stream
  • Fixed: Interactive Tutorial has 'old' artwork
  • Fixed: Cannot read MOV files created by JVC GY-HM200 correctly
  • Fixed: ProRes 422 HQ file audio badly distorted
  • Fixed: Protype titler help file links inactive
  • Fixed: Multi-channel audio files do not show up correctly with ProRes plugins
  • Fixed: ProRes Import - Audio channel duplicated on to other audio channel
  • Fixed: Atomos Shogun 4k Recorder files fail to produce audio in Vegas
  • Fixed: Iphone 4s MOVs fail to open in Vegas Pro
  • Fixed: H.265 MP4 Drone Footage failing to import to Vegas
  • Fixed: MP4/AVC without Audio
  • Fixed: Horizontal splitter for docking area is not painted
  • Fixed: iPhone 7 Video doesn't load in Vegas Pro 14
  • Fixed: Track Motion preset selector is missing
  • Fixed: Keyframe event "Set To" context-menu operation does nothing
  • Fixed: mp4 video created by Action Mirilis video capture software plays audio only
  • Fixed: Search field text clipped when docking below other windows.
  • Fixed: Plug-In Manager missing vertical separator
  • Fixed: Can't open HEVC file in Trimmer or timeline.
  • Fixed: Docking UI: maximize docking window, exit & restart Vegas, restore window: crash
  • Fixed: Hor & Vert Control handles split in 2 when using Automation
  • Fixed: Automation dropdown arrows are between Bus/Input/Master headers
  • Fixed: Win7: Render As template 'Favorites' star crowds/cuts into template names
  • Fixed: Clipped icons in Edit Details window
  • Fixed: Exporting AVCHD 5.1 -> when import exported file first 2 audio tracks bounced and one track empty
  • Fixed: 'contains no video' error message when reading customer's MPEG-4 file
  • Fixed: Mute button state doesn't not match context menu with automation on
  • Fixed: Rear speaker icons swapped
  • Fixed: AVC (Panasonic P2) file incorrectly reads as all green
  • Fixed: Crash when double click Loudness Meters window while in Audio Mixing layout
  • Fixed: Not all MAGIX MP4 custom render frame rates yield expected video length
  • Fixed: Markers & regions don't get saved in ProRes or HEVC files in the trimmer
  • Fixed: Picture in Picture Help "?" opens Mirror video effect help content
  • Fixed: Crash on Tools-> Multicamera -> Expand to Multiple Tracks
  • Fixed: Annoying blinking when resizing windows
  • Fixed: Track Compressor Reduction meter pegged
  • Fixed: Elastique broken in Audio Event properties
  • Fixed: ProRes audio imported into Vegas precedes video by 30ms
  • Fixed: OFX effect parameter dialog is malformed when opened by keystroke
  • Fixed: Master Bus is confused about mute
  • Fixed: Render As ->Browse, Save As dialog File name is not auto-populated
  • Fixed: Horizontal resizing of the app causes redraw issues
  • Fixed: Saved projects don't retain markers & regions for MP4's
  • Fixed: Rendering HEVC CBR does not produce CBR output

Best regards
Mathias

Comments

Former user wrote on 8/28/2017, 7:43 AM

Does anyone know where the downloaded files are stored?

Finding them and using again for 2nd. install on laptop would save a lot of time, thanks.

NickHope wrote on 8/28/2017, 8:06 AM

Does anyone know where the downloaded files are stored?

...Documents\MAGIX Downloads\Installationsmanager

NickHope wrote on 8/28/2017, 8:44 AM

Three VP15 improvements that don't appear in the official list:

• Panasonic GH5 10-bit 422 footage now opens correctly
  • The video stream of JVC YUV 4:2:2 footage now decodes correctly
  • iPhone/iPad footage now opens correctly (without requiring Quicktime)
Former user wrote on 8/28/2017, 8:52 AM

Super Nick, thanks.

I noticed that the ProDad Mercalli is missing in v15, it came with the update to vp14, and I see its still there.

Does it need to be reinstalled again or what, for v15? thanks.

One other thing😅, any idea how to get back the missing frame forward/back etc buttons that were under the preview window?

Thats great news re: GH5, surprised they didn't mention this in their "notes".

NickHope wrote on 8/28/2017, 9:09 AM
I noticed that the ProDad Mercalli is missing in v15, it came with the update to vp14, and I see its still there.

Does it need to be reinstalled again or what, for v15? thanks.

Not sure about Mercalli. I'm not seeing it in VP15 either. It's no longer a bundled plugin with any version of VP15. Probably best to start a new thread about that in the Vegas Pro Video forum.

One other thing😅, any idea how to get back the missing frame forward/back etc buttons that were under the preview window?

Right click on the preview window > Show Transport Bar

Then click the "hamburger" and choose "Edit Visible Button Set" to choose what's shown there.

cinefilm wrote on 8/28/2017, 9:20 AM

Wow. Amazing update, props to the Magix team. I can't wait to try it out

Former user wrote on 8/28/2017, 9:35 AM

Thanks for that Nick.

Just checked, Mercalli is DOA in v15, after re-installing it, the serial no. that came with it in ver. 14 is now regarded as invalid😩

Ill add this to the "General discussion".

So dont throw out v14 just yet.

Robert W wrote on 8/28/2017, 10:16 AM

• The default Pan type has been changed to Constant Power which is the most logical and expected type

Is there any way for the user to beable to set the default back to 'Add Channels'? This is the kind of change in expected behaviour that can cause a lot of confusion when you are in the middle of a project. We have had 15 years of it working a certain way by default, and then the change is made and it is buried in the new release details.

Robert W wrote on 8/28/2017, 10:18 AM

Thanks for that Nick.

Just checked, Mercalli is DOA in v15, after re-installing it, the serial no. that came with it in ver. 14 is now regarded as invalid😩

Ill add this to the "General discussion".

So dont throw out v14 just yet.

So it looks like another licence that has been quietly dropped. This is the side effect of buying in essential functionality on licence deals rather than integrating it directly into the application.

FireStorm wrote on 8/28/2017, 10:19 AM

Great job on updating the ACES workflow.  It's much easier to hit those effects buttons on the timeline too.  Thanks!

IAM4UK wrote on 8/28/2017, 10:23 AM

These sound like some real enhancements. As an AMD video card user, I cannot help noticing their absence on hardware-assisted rendering, but I am encouraged that NVidia is supported, and look forward to learning from the community whether a new NVidia GPU for my system would be a significant benefit.

Robert W wrote on 8/28/2017, 10:25 AM

Great job on updating the ACES workflow.  It's much easier to hit those effects buttons on the timeline too.  Thanks!

Wow. Amazing update, props to the Magix team. I can't wait to try it out

I've got this kind of mysterious 'ringing' sound in my ears. It almost sounds like its saying "When will software companies learn?" I don't know if anybody else can hear it.

Robert W wrote on 8/28/2017, 10:30 AM

Mathias, can we get definitive answers on following questions, please?

1, Is the Dolby Pro AC3 codec restored to Vegas 15?

2, Are those that were induced to upgrade to Vegas 14 at least after the Vegas 15 release date announcement going be entitled to a free upgrade to Vegas 15?

3, Is Mercalli still part of any of the Vegas 15 suites?

Steve-H. wrote on 8/28/2017, 10:32 AM

So now everyone will have to keep all previous versions of Vegas installed, and when a feature is needed will have to close the current version, open project in an older to use a feature (in this case Mercalli) - perhaps breaking things that were only supported in the newer version.

This paradigm in the long run could turn out to be a support nightmare for Magix.

Steve

william-s wrote on 8/28/2017, 11:04 AM

VASST plugins seem to have disappeared in Vegas Pro 15. They are still installed but not recognized. Anyone have a work around for this? Specifically Ultimate S Pro. We use it every day.

VEGAS_CommunityManager wrote on 8/28/2017, 11:24 AM

Mathias, can we get definitive answers on following questions, please?

1, Is the Dolby Pro AC3 codec restored to Vegas 15?

2, Are those that were induced to upgrade to Vegas 14 at least after the Vegas 15 release date announcement going be entitled to a free upgrade to Vegas 15?

3, Is Mercalli still part of any of the Vegas 15 suites?

I will be straight forward with you, Robert. Unfortunately, I have to say "no" to all of your questions.

Regarding Mercalli: if you got it with VEGAS Pro 14, it will work with VEGAS Pro 15. Go to the plug-in itself and follow the update path that ProDAD provides.

If you bought VEGAS Pro 14 in the last couple of weeks, I think your go-to should always be our customer service. I can't promise you anything but there you may be able to get a special offer. Anyhow, I definitely will address your wish (free upgrade within a short period of time), internally.

Best regards
Mathias

Robert W wrote on 8/28/2017, 11:49 AM

I will be straight forward with you, Robert. Unfortunately, I have to say "no" to all of your questions.

Regarding Mercalli: if you got it with VEGAS Pro 14, it will work with VEGAS Pro 15. Go to the plug-in itself and follow the update path that ProDAD provides.

If you bought VEGAS Pro 14 in the last couple of weeks, I think your go-to should always be our customer service. I can't promise you anything but there you may be able to get a special offer. Anyhow, I definitely will address your wish (free upgrade within a short period of time), internally.

Best regards
Mathias

Mathias, thank you for the swift and direct answer. I did not take the Vegas 14 upgrade option as there was not enough in it to justify the outlay for me. I was very unhappy that I was getting constant emails encouraging me to take the upgrade to 14 after 15 had been announced, and it seems that there is a few people on these forums who took the upgrade in the final weeks. Once they announced the release date of Vegas 15 they should only have been offering earlybird offers with Vegas 14 offered as a stop gap. I can appreciate that the dropping of licences may have made that financially unworkable, but at the very least the active marketing of Vegas 14 upgrades should have ended.

The Dolby Pro AC3 codec is a major problem for me and I suspect others. It means that I can not move forward with Vegas and I need to be able to use the Dolby Pro AC3 codec. There are key flags that you can only set in the Pro AC3 codec. I have one legacy project that I absolutely have to revisit in Vegas. There are certain features in Vegas 14/15 that I require, so I will probably end up editing the video aspect in Vegas 15, and then I will have to export aspects of the project as an EDL, or as 5.1 wave file (undesirable and unreliable) to try and retain edits for time to be applied to a pre-existing 5.1 master in an earlier version of Vegas. The LUTS and ACE 1.0 etc. will be very useful for that project, but after that I just can not justify continuing to work in Vegas as it is an ongoing liability in my workflow. Magix have to realise that the product they have is the most easy and intuitive to use out there if you can get the footage into it, but they are ask us users to put up with too much turbulence, workarounds and general instability, and a lot of us will eventually elect for less friendly but more reliable and functional tools.

Losing Mercalli is not the end of the world (although it is the only reason I would have elected for the premium suite), I can always buy a separate licence for that, but I suspect there is no easy way to get the Dolby Pro AC3 codec to work with Vegas 15 as I believe it was a bespoke codec for Vegas.

NickHope wrote on 8/28/2017, 12:14 PM

Is there any way for the user to beable to set the default back to 'Add Channels'?

I can't find one, even in the internal preferences. [Edit: The answer is below]

...This is the kind of change in expected behaviour that can cause a lot of confusion when you are in the middle of a project...

The pan type is retained in existing projects when they are opened in VP15.

...Regarding Mercalli: if you got it with VEGAS Pro 14, it will work with VEGAS Pro 15. Go to the plug-in itself and follow the update path that ProDAD provides...

Clicking "About" > "Check Update" from Mercalli 4.0 in either VP14 or VP15 reports "Latest version is already installed". Apparently there is a version 4.0.477.1 out there somewhere that works in both VP14 and 15 but I can't find a link for it.

Robert W wrote on 8/28/2017, 12:21 PM

Is there any way for the user to beable to set the default back to 'Add Channels'?

I can't find one, even in the internal preferences.

...This is the kind of change in expected behaviour that can cause a lot of confusion when you are in the middle of a project...

The pan type is retained in existing projects when they are opened in VP15.

But if you are working in Vegas 14, and are on a project adding audio tracks, then you switch to Vegas 15 and keep on adding new audio tracks, the panning behaviour on the Vegas 15 added tracks is going to default to different behaviour to Vegas 14, I am assuming. And if you were not aware of the change it would be easy to go into a new project and get very confused as to what was happening with your levels and pans.

gary-rebholz wrote on 8/28/2017, 12:34 PM

1. Right-click the Pan slider and choose the Pan model you want as your default
  2. Right-click the track header and choose Set default track properties
  3. From the list, select Pan type (and any other property you want)

From there on, any audio track you add will have your desired pan type as the default.

Robert W wrote on 8/28/2017, 12:40 PM

1. Right-click the Pan slider and choose the Pan model you want as your default
  2. Right-click the track header and choose Set default track properties
  3. From the list, select Pan type (and any other property you want)

From there on, any audio track you add will have your desired pan type as the default.

Thank you. Does that apply just to the current project? It is not a terrible hardship for me to have a template project if it does.

william-s wrote on 8/28/2017, 12:43 PM

Gary: Vegas Production Assistant Pro 3 is not working properly in Vegas Pro 15. 1) Can not open a project from a Project Template. 2) Does not show up in extensions or scripting in Vegas Pro 15. I emailed support but thought you may have a quick answer.

lonny-dill wrote on 8/28/2017, 12:45 PM

I just upgraded and installed SVP15, I noticed some very useful features that I look forward to incorporating into my workflow. As a full time editor, rendering always moves me to a second machine so that I can stay productive. It looks like HitFilm may only offer one activation? Is this correct? Can this please be expanded to two activations?