Remove music? Sound levels?

EfGe wrote on 6/22/2022, 7:03 AM

I was told by a person who I trust on this, that there is a way to remove background music without much if at all affecting the rest of the audio. They told me that they do this in Adobe Audtion, whatever that is. I don't have it or going to get it any time soon, so I was wondering if there is something similar with Vegas Pro.

Also, for the life of me I don't remember, which way to set the audio to be around the same dB lever at all time? Is it with the compressor?

Thank you in advance.

Comments

RogerS wrote on 6/22/2022, 7:31 AM

For background music- is it already its own file? If so just drop the audio level for that clip ("ducking").

Otherwise you need fairly sophisticated sound processing to do that (for example an interview in a noisy restaurant). IzoTope RX can do that kind of cleanup. Waves Clarity can, too.

For loudness try the loudness log in Vegas. If it's too quiet overall you can use a compressor to tame the peaks and then increase the loudness overall.

EfGe wrote on 6/22/2022, 7:39 AM

For background music- is it already its own file? If so just drop the audio level for that clip ("ducking").

The file has all the sounds (sfx, dialogue and music) and I want to remove the music.

RogerS wrote on 6/22/2022, 7:54 AM

Then you need software capable of doing this. I recommended two programs. Spectralayers may have a way to do it too but I'm not familiar with it. It isn't an easy thing to do.

jetdv wrote on 6/22/2022, 8:00 AM

@EfGe, think of it this way. You're given a cake - but now you want to remove the sugar and flour. Not an easy prospect. Software has improved but you have to remember that some of the music is going to be in the same frequency range as the voice.

I have some footage where the wind overpowered the voice. I've gotten surprisingly good results using the eFX Vocal Strip audio effect in VEGAS Pro 19 using the Female Voiceover Soft preset.

rraud wrote on 6/22/2022, 10:13 AM

Un-bake the cake .. Steinberg's SpetraLayers Pro has automatic processes that can break a file down to component layers, (aka, stems) and the music layers can be removed or the layer(s) that are wanted can be exported. How well it works depends on the source. With a good quality source file, the music components can be removed completely (or at least to inaudible levels) With less-than-good quality source material, remaining music artifacts, can be removed by editing the spectral graph directly, (though there is a learning curve for this.. experience with Photoshop or other image editing software lessens the learning curve). SLP costs significantly less than iZ's RX Advanced, but it is still far from freeware. SLP is however included with the Sound Forge Pro Suite, and IMO worth the cost of a Sound Forge upgrade alone..
rraud, Magix forums moderator

Dexcon wrote on 6/22/2022, 10:22 AM

+1 to what @rraud advised. SpectraLayers Pro has a trial version to test it before purchasing - https://www.steinberg.net/spectralayers/

Please note that the next version of SLP - version 9 - is scheduled to be released on 29 June - only 1 week away.

Cameras: Sony FDR-AX100E; GoPro Hero 8 Black

Installed: Vegas Pro 16 Edit, Vegas Pro 17 Edit, Vegas Pro 18, Vegas Pro 19 Edit, HitFilm Pro 2021.3, BCC 2022, Mocha Pro 2022, Ignite Pro, NBFX TotalFX 7, Sound Forge Pro 15, SpectraLayers Pro 8, iZotope RX9 Advanced

Windows 11

Dell Alienware Aurora 11

10th Gen Intel i9 10900KF - 10 cores (20 threads) - 3.7 to 5.3 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8GB GDDR6 - liquid cooled

64GB RAM - Dual Channel HyperX FURY DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz

C drive: 1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD

D drive: 6TB WD 7200 rpm Black HDD 3.5"

E & F drives: 2 x 2TB Barracuda HDDs 2.5"

Den24601 wrote on 6/22/2022, 10:32 AM

Samplitude Pro X7 Suite includes SpectralLayers Pro 8 with a free upgrade to 9