Comments

David Johns wrote on 4/18/2014, 1:11 PM
Well I've given the trial version a go. First thoughts are, are my tired old eyes deceiving me or are those new icons on the timeline absolutely miniscule?? This is one reason I can't bear Premiere, it has microscopic icons that you can't see without binoculars. Please Sony, don't be heading down that path. At least offer us middle-aged duffers with rubbish eyesight a "big icons" option.

Secondly, although VP13 is *slightly* better at outputting preview to my BlackMagic Intensity Pro, it still crashes it at regular intervals. Have discovered it copes better with a 50p project if I set the output to conform to 720/50p but it's still wonky and seizes Vegas up (especially if you toggle external preview on and off). Also, if you wind through the timeline at speed with jkl or the scrubber control, it loses track of where it is on the BlackMagic output. Then crashes as well :-(

I tried the new Archive feature which appears little different from Save As... (with Project Media copied) except it gives you a very Windows-95 ish progress bar which is hilarious.

So, as there are no useful (to me) additions to VP13, I'm going to skip this one for the first time in many years.

(I wanted at least: multiple timelines in a single project instead of mucking about with multiple instances of Vegas; masks per effect chain rather than a single mask affecting every effect; events expandable/collapsible into mini-multitracks (like, dare I say it, Avid MC does) rather than having to use entire tracks; and much more)

Regards
Dave
jetdv wrote on 4/18/2014, 1:21 PM
Peter, please contact NewBlue tech support. My suspicion, based on what you've said here, is that you simply need to update your video driver to an updated version.
Grazie wrote on 4/18/2014, 1:22 PM
Going good here. 24p mov footage:

1/- Nested VP12 Veg

2/- iZo VSTs working good.

3/- Sapphire Edge.

4/- NewBlue ColorFast

5/- Mercalli - Good.

6/- Render to Sony MXF

Editing 1/2 day and its solid as a rock.

Gary James TimeLine Tools isn't available.

Looking good here......

If anybody wants me to repro issues and I have the tools, I'd be happy to try it out.

Grazie

OldSmoke wrote on 4/18/2014, 1:55 PM
Grazie

Did you install the licensed version or the trial? I was wondering if the slower render times are related to the watermark that pop ups in the trial version.

Proud owner of Sony Vegas Pro 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 & 13 and now Magix VP15&16.

System Spec.:
Motherboard: ASUS X299 Prime-A

Ram: G.Skill 4x8GB DDR4 2666 XMP

CPU: i7-9800x @ 4.6GHz (custom water cooling system)
GPU: 1x AMD Vega Pro Frontier Edition (water cooled)
Hard drives: System Samsung 970Pro NVME, AV-Projects 1TB (4x Intel P7600 512GB VROC), 4x 2.5" Hotswap bays, 1x 3.5" Hotswap Bay, 1x LG BluRay Burner

PSU: Corsair 1200W
Monitor: 2x Dell Ultrasharp U2713HM (2560x1440)

CJB wrote on 4/18/2014, 2:01 PM
Just a note, had warning that would stop Vegas 13 from loading. If you closed the warning Vegas would finish loading fine. It was a weird string of characters in the box but the title bar revealed it was Vegasaur. Updating Vegasaur to 1.9.4 (which now supports VP13) fixed the problem..
rmack350 wrote on 4/18/2014, 2:21 PM
Yes, the Vegasaur folks sent out a notice for their update a week or two ago. You need to apply the update to use it with VP13.

Rob
David Settlemoir wrote on 4/18/2014, 3:29 PM
Unfortunately, Veggie Toolkit isn't going to support Vegas Pro 13.

From their website:

"Sony Vegas Pro 13 has changed to require .Net 4.0 for extensions and is therefore not backwards compatitible with .Net 3.5 extensions. Due to business reasons we have no plans to upgrade Veggie Toolkit to .Net 4.0 at this point. Therefore, Vegas Pro 12 will be the last version of Vegas Pro that is supported by the Veggie Toolkit. We wish to thank you for your support over the life of this product."

http://www.peachrock.com/VeggieToolkit30
Tim Stannard wrote on 4/18/2014, 3:37 PM
"For the Vegas Pro 12 Suite owners who would like to upgrade their Sound Forge Pro to version 11 we've just added an additional promotion:"
Great. Thanks ForumAdmin!
VidMus wrote on 4/18/2014, 4:53 PM
OldSmoke says, "I was wondering if the slower render times are related to the watermark that pop ups in the trial version."

I am not Grazie (Isn't he lucky? LOL!) but I made note of that in my previous post and yes the watermark does slow it down. It appears at times and when it does I can see the render slow down a bit.

Side note: I finally got Windows 8 to work correctly and it is faster than Windows 7 on preview and slightly slower on render. 560ti. I did a semi-clean install by installing Windows 7 and then without installing any software's or drivers or even activating it, I upgraded to Windows 8 which auto-activated and then 8.1.1. So now it works perfectly with USB3 and so on. I will test Vegas 13 on it later on. I notice that there are those who say that SF-11 does not work with Windows 8.1.1 so that might be a show stopper there.

In my particular case, I think I would be better off getting a GTX-580 card instead of Vegas 13. My budget says I do not get either one but I have a bad habit of not listening to my budget when it comes to this kind of stuff.

PeterDuke wrote on 4/18/2014, 8:33 PM
@Enerjex, jetdv

Thanks.

All I needed to do was update the video driver. I don't normally use GPU acceleration. I reinstalled Windows some time ago and forgot about the video driver, as everything else seemed to be OK.

I thought for a moment that I might need to buy a new graphics card to make Titler Pro work. That would be like buying a new suit to go with a handkerchief!
VidMus wrote on 4/18/2014, 10:28 PM
If nothing else, this is the first time I started a thread that got more than 100 replies.

Thanks all!!!

Ok, now it is time to go back to the usual stuff. Grin...

LOL...

NickHope wrote on 4/19/2014, 12:02 AM
Sad about Veggie Toolkit. I love the offline media resolver, which is the sole reason I bought it. I wonder if one of the other scripting gurus cares to take on that functionality, or even do a deal for their code. Come on guys!
Grazie wrote on 4/19/2014, 12:15 AM
VidMus :"I am not Grazie (Isn't he lucky? LOL!)"Sure I am. I love what I do. Live in the WORLD's most exciting Capital that simmers and bubbles over with a brimfull of talent and creativity, that's engaged with the media industry.

Now, as I said in another one of my "lucky" threads, if you've got an issue, and if I have the same tools, I'd be willing to attempt a repro here.

Grazie

PeterDuke wrote on 4/19/2014, 6:13 AM
This thread says "Vegas Pro 13 is here", but the sticky at the top of the forum is stuck all right, stuck on version 12.
JasonATL wrote on 4/19/2014, 10:36 AM
Fool me once...

After paying for upgrades since Vegas 8, I will not be paying Sony for VP 13. I have downloaded the trial version and I still cannot load more than 30 or so .mov files without it hanging or giving me a black screen.

Even if that had been fixed, I'm not sure I would have paid for v13, since I am not willing to pay for the software to work after already paying for software that should have worked in the first place. Paying for new features is reasonable - but I don't find any in this version (or, frankly V12) that are worth it.

I still prefer the Vegas Pro workflow to the others that I now use (e.g., Adobe Premiere Pro and Resolve). The unfortunate fact is that I can start and complete a project in the others, but not Vegas Pro. With the formats that I use, only the simplest of projects will work to completion in Vegas Pro.
CCArt wrote on 4/24/2014, 2:25 AM
HI
Upgrading from Vegas Pro 12 Suite to Vegas Pro 13 Edit, wouldn't you loose the:
- Dolby Digital Professional Encoder?
- Dolby 5.1 surround and stereo AC-3 encoding
These I have in v12 suite, what happens to them? would Vegas Pro 13 be able to pull them from v12 or you'd loose them?

Added, what about the integration with Hitfilm 2 Ultimate? would this be available?
David
videoITguy wrote on 4/24/2014, 3:30 AM
As long as you have the registered version of DVDAPro in the same drive partition ( actually what it means is that you have the DVDAPro entry in your Windows OS registry that is booting to a given partition) - then you will have all the functionality of VegasPro13.

But if you move VegasPro13 to a different PC without installing some version of DVDAPro - then YES, you will LOSE it. Notice the fine print in the listing of technical details of VPro13 as you will also lose functionality at the Vegas Timeline as well.
CCArt wrote on 4/24/2014, 6:50 AM
Thank you for your reply,

I'm trying to locate "the fine print in the listing of technical details of VPro13 " where you said: you will also lose functionality at the Vegas Timeline as well.
where can I find that, what would I loose?
what if DVD Architect Pro 6 is installed on the same drive as you said, would you loose functionality at Vegas Timeline still?
and what about the integration with hitfilm ultimate? would you loose that too?
David
lilrex wrote on 4/24/2014, 5:15 PM
Can 13 support SLI config GPUs for rendering?
Paul Anderegg wrote on 4/24/2014, 7:30 PM
I too am seeing 25% increases in rendering time to AVC formats. My 1 minute test clips (XAVC S 60P) took 2:30/3:10 to make Sony 1080p60 h264, and 3:00/4:15 to make MC h264, Vegas 12/13 respectively. All settings were made identical in preferences, and I found my AMD R9 270x still has no effect on h264 in either Vegas 12 or 13.

Thank God I didn't just pay for the upgrade thinking it was an UPDATE.

Would the stupid watermark really add 25% render times? That's like taking a Porsche out for a test drive with a flat tire.