[Release] VEGAS Pro 17 – The fastest NLE. For passionate creatives.

VEGAS_CommunityManager wrote on 8/5/2019, 3:51 AM

Dear community,

We know you have been waiting eagerly. (especially you @lan-mLMC 😉) And now, the big day has here – the release of the new version – VEGAS Pro 17. With more than 30 new features VEGAS Pro 17 has hit a new milestone.

We've made comprehensive workflow improvements, such as Nested Timelines that provide the power to better organize complex and long-form projects. The new Color Grading panel streamlines the workflow in a quick, efficient and logical process. Another highlight of the new version is the optical-flow slow motion for incredibly smooth slow motion. Optical flow technology that analyzes one frame to the next and then creates intermediary frames between them.

If you crave more details, here you can see all new features:

• Nested Timelines This is a further development of the existing nested projects functionality. Where a nested project has to be opened in a second instance of VEGAS Pro for editing, with the nested timelines it is now possible to create and edit a "project-inside-a project" directly from the timeline.
  • Color Grading window: Several color-related Video Event FX (including Input LUT, Color Wheels, Color Curves,HSL, White Balance and many more) are combined in a dedicated screen area that is easily shown or hidden with a toolbar button. To save you a lot of clicks it can stay open to apply the desired color grading to the different events, instead of opening each event's FX chain and loading the color FX separately.
  • LUT Export: Save all color effects from an effect chain as a CUBE file with the Save LUT button in the Plug-in chooser window.
  • Improved Storyboard functionality: You can add the same piece of media to a single storyboard, and thumbnails reflect the in point of the media that is used in the timeline.
  • Warp Flow transition/Smart Split: The Warp Flow transition automatically fixes jump cuts by synthesizing movement. The Smart Split command cuts out parts of an event and applies the Warp Flow transition to conceal the cut.
  • Mesh Warp plug-in for creative deformation of your footage, or, when you set the grid size to 1x1 it gives you four corner points to quickly conform your video to a non-rectangular four-sided surface.
  • Lens Correction plug-in to compensate distortions from wide-angle lens systems as used in action cams.
  • HDR Color support enhancements
  • GPU-based processing
  • Windowed HDR Preview (preview in the Video Preview window)
  • HDR Specific color grading
  • HLG support
  • Stabilization improvements: Using the Video stabilization is now also possible at event level, when used on event level it is possible to visualize the motion tracks of the stabilization.
  • Collaboration Center: Attach notes to your project if you want to hand it to someone else. The notes can be tagged as "resolved", resolved notes can be hidden.
  • Automatic Slideshow Creator: Create a Slideshow of a desired length from a folder or selection of pictures.
  • Adjustable Color temperature enhancement to White Balance plug-in.
  • Audio synchronization for multicam: Synchronize Multicam footage by analyzing and matching the audio track of the recordings.
  • 8k support : You can add 8k to your project now when using proxy files.
  • New Formats:
    • Experimental MKV support.
    • 10 bit intermediate format
    • ProRes 4444 files with embedded alpha channels
    • NVENC 10-bit HEVC rendering
    • Hardware decoding for AVC and HEVC
  • User Interface improvements:
    • You'll get a warning when you delete a track that has events on it.
    • Hi-DPI interface improvements: The High DPI mode is now defaulted to on for VEGAS Pro17
    • You can display the Event length on the header of timeline events. Find it in the hamburger menu for each event or under the View menu.
    • Temporarily ignore event grouping when moving an event: Hold both the left and right mouse buttons as you drag an event to move it independently from other group members.
    • There's a new indicator on an event to show if Media FX have been applied to the media the event holds (find it in the event hamburger menu)
    • You will be asked to confirm if you click cancel in a render process.
    • New, task specific, default layouts / Dashboard:Easy editing modes for beginners work with a simplified version of the user interface that show only the most important controls for a step-by-step walk-through from adding media to the final movie, everything put together in the Dashboard window. The Guided Video Creator from the Tool Menu takes you through these steps.
  • VEGAS Screen Capture utility: Record video streams from your browser or video game.
  • Motion tracking: Track motion in a scene and let other events or text follow the movement.
  • Super-smooth slow motion (optical flow and motion estimation) with the VEGAS Slow Motion plug-in
  • Bugfixes:
    • Render As dialog box shows the correct disk space when switching disks
    • PreRes files creating with the RED Epic Helium camera are now properly supported

Learn more at vegascreativesoftware.com

Best Regards,
The VEGAS Pro team

Comments

fr0sty wrote on 8/5/2019, 4:20 AM

Congrats on the release, team. You've put a lot of hard work into this, and it's great to see so many suggestions end up in this release.

Last changed by fr0sty on 8/5/2019, 4:20 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

Systems:

Desktop

AMD Ryzen 7 1800x 8 core 16 thread at stock speed

64GB 3000mhz DDR4

Geforce RTX 3090

Windows 10

Laptop:

ASUS Zenbook Pro Duo 32GB (9980HK CPU, RTX 2060 GPU, dual 4K touch screens, main one OLED HDR)

Marco. wrote on 8/5/2019, 4:23 AM

fr0sty wrote on 8/5/2019, 4:28 AM

I noticed something that should make some folks around here happy...

5.1 surround and stereo AC-3 encoding

Marty74 wrote on 8/5/2019, 4:30 AM

I have not seen the VEGAS POST. Will it be released today?

Same question, i was waiting it, in case there is a promo purchase from owner of Vegas pro 16 to Post... so don't know what to do ? purchasing the VP17 update or waiting ?

(Found a marketing page from magix about it... hope the Magix Effects will be available separatly at some point because the price is a bit too much :( ... i'll wait the end of the day to see how it will be released and if any crossgrade price would be available as i already own Vegas Pro and DVD architect.

fr0sty wrote on 8/5/2019, 4:35 AM

It was supposed to drop today as well... maybe it got delayed? If so, I'd rather them put out a well tested product than rush something out, but it would be nice to know what's up.

fifonik wrote on 8/5/2019, 4:39 AM

Nice. A few new features I'd like to have. So it's time for upgrade from VP15.

Thanks a lot!

Camcorder: Panasonic X1500 + Panasonic X920 + GoPro Hero 11 Black

Desktop: MB: MSI B450M MORTAR TITANIUM, CPU: AMD Ryzen 5700X, RAM: G'Skill 16 GB DDR4@3200, Graphics card: MSI RX6600 8GB, SSD: Samsung 970 Evo+ 1TB (NVMe, OS), Samsung 870 Evo, HDD WD 4TB, HDD Toshiba 4TB, OS: Windows 10 Pro 22H2

NLE: Vegas Pro [Edit] 11, 12, 13, 15, 17, 18, 19

fr0sty wrote on 8/5/2019, 4:40 AM

It's also Vegas Image, which is an image editing app, that is included in the Post bundle.

Systems:

Desktop

AMD Ryzen 7 1800x 8 core 16 thread at stock speed

64GB 3000mhz DDR4

Geforce RTX 3090

Windows 10

Laptop:

ASUS Zenbook Pro Duo 32GB (9980HK CPU, RTX 2060 GPU, dual 4K touch screens, main one OLED HDR)

VEGAS_CommunityManager wrote on 8/5/2019, 4:55 AM

I have not seen the VEGAS POST. Will it be released today?

We are performing the final testing on VEGAS POST and the release will follow within the coming days.

KaraUSA wrote on 8/5/2019, 5:05 AM

Always export 4K limitation for me, not export 8K in MP4 and HEVC and AVI , it's strange

KaraUSA wrote on 8/5/2019, 5:06 AM

I don't see for export video in Prores 4444, and export MKV , strange too ! Why don't 7.1 export now ? Why always 5.1 ?

karma17 wrote on 8/5/2019, 5:06 AM

Yes, congratulations to the entire Magix / Vegas Pro team! The program has come so far from V13, and I'm just grateful I am able to keep using a video editing program I absolutely love. I know there's no pleasing everyone, but this program literally has something for everyone now. I'm sure there will be some bugs, but that is to be expected with so many advanced features being added. But once we those get squashed, this is going to be a phenomenally solid release. Vegas is definitely in the top tier of NLEs now. And once this mysterious Vegas Post thing happens, Vegas will really be a one-stop shop.

Former user wrote on 8/5/2019, 5:13 AM

And so say all of us, seriously great work👍

Komaryt wrote on 8/5/2019, 5:17 AM

I am so exciting to test new Vegas 17!!
V16 for me does nothing change but V17 seems to be revolution in using Vegas.

Anyone can explain me what differences are between Vegas 17 Edit and Vegas 17 Pro? Thanks a lot!

Marco. wrote on 8/5/2019, 5:17 AM

There is no MKV export but limited MKV import (which is why it is labelled "experimental"). MKV import for some flavors of YouTube videos works fine here (if not VP8/9 encoded).

You need to enable MKV import support in Options/Preferences/File IO.

Marco. wrote on 8/5/2019, 5:20 AM

"Anyone can explain me what differences are between Vegas 17 Edit and Vegas 17 Pro?"

Vegas Pro comes with a DVD Architect license, Vegas Pro Edit don't.

DesertSweeper wrote on 8/5/2019, 6:01 AM

Still no support for AMD NAVI GPU

fr0sty wrote on 8/5/2019, 6:06 AM

That's AMD's fault. There's a number of programs that are having issues with their drivers. Neat Video only started supporting my Radeon 7 very recently, and told me they were having driver issues they had to sort with AMD. AMD is notorious for bad drivers.

musko wrote on 8/5/2019, 6:06 AM

A feature requested zoom in preview and trimmer window is in the new version Vegas PRO 17?
https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/vegas-17-feature-requests--115692/?page=5#ca719517

Marco. wrote on 8/5/2019, 6:11 AM

No.

Former user wrote on 8/5/2019, 6:16 AM

Marco, would it be possible that the new “optical flow” feature could also improve rendering out old 15fps footage to say 25fps, or is it purely for slomo?